Portable PA worn by cast members

zinberry

Earning My Ears
I have an obscure question -- At the WDW theme parks I have seen cast members wear a portable PA "public address" speaker on their belt with a wired headset that has a microphone. The cast members that wear this device are often directing crowds before parades or fireworks shows. It allows their voices to be amplified and still be mobile. It was used most memorably when my family sat in front of the DS Great Movie Ride Theater, waiting for the Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM show, by a cast member named Jeff (I think) who told jokes and trivia and kept us entertained for the hour before the show. He didn't have to strain his voice because he was using the PA device. And, it's not loud and annoying like a bullhorn.

My friend's wife is an ER doctor. With all of the PPE our medical heroes are now wearing, the masks (especially the N100 mask she has) obscures her voice and makes it difficult to delivery verbal instructions to the team. I was thinking that the portable PA system might be well suited for her. I'm having trouble finding a model online that looks like what I've seen the cast members wear. Does anyone have any information about what manufacturer or model of portable PA that WDW cast members use?

Google personal pa worn on belt and you get a few results. I'd post some results but I've gotten in trouble for posting links in the past.

The belt-worn personal speaker used by the security cast members at Walt Disney World is the Premium TK-180C, the World's Best Voice Amplification System for the past 15 years. It sometimes shows up with the brand name Edge Audio or Turtle Amplification Systems.

This personal PA speaker is in a black leather style case and it has nine rounded squares on the left side. A wired headset microphone plugs into the device and is worn by a cast member who is able to speak at a comfortable conversation level, instead of having to yell or raise their voice.

Recently, I have seen some lower quality Amazon speakers used by cast members, but they tend to sound a little distorted and low-fidelity.

Here is more information from the manufacturer's website:

The PREMIUM is our most powerful voice amplifier. Built with powerful amplification and exceptional sound quality, this model has proven itself in the field as the strongest, highest quality, most durable and most reliable model, for the past 15 years.

This voice amplifier is great for large, open and/or noisy areas.

Musicians love the PREMIUM because with the AUX music input they can connect their instruments to boom across massive audiences.

The PREMIUM TK-180C is our most powerful voice amplifier, built with especially strong amplification and exceptional sound quality.

Your audience will never miss a word!

This voice amplifier is great for large, open spaces or noisy areas.

Musicians love the PREMIUM because with the AUX music input they can connect their instruments to boom across massive audiences.

Included:
  • A compact amplification unit
  • A microphone headset
  • A power supply (charger)
  • A protective case
  • A belt
  • A shoulder strap

Additionally, we have included one complimentary item to the kit
  • A carrying case

Technical Specifications:
  • Frequency Range: 90Hz - 14kHz
  • Battery: 11.1V/2200mAh Lithium-ion
  • Power Supply: DC 13.8V
  • Charging Time: 4 - 6 hours
  • Usage Time: about 48 hours
  • Dimensions: 2.2x4.1x3.3 in/ 55x105x85 mm
  • Weight: 15.5oz/ 440g
  • Color: Black

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter