Possible update to Genie+

Yes, a glass bottle you could get a nickel for when you returned it!
I hate my kids never got to experience the old coke machines and putting your coins in and sliding that ice cold glass bottle coke out of the little door. That and a small pack of peanuts was near perfection on a summers day as a kid. We would ride our bikes for miles on the streets to get one (before helmets)!

Oh wow, no second tier A if you prebooked would be terrible
For those who strive to get the most out of the ride reservation system, this is probably true.

But what will the effect be on overall park operations? With fewer people reserving spots on Tier A attractions, is it possible that overall wait times for those attractions will drop?

I'm reminded of the YouTube video from a couple of years ago that analyzed the effect of the FP+ system on overall wait times. As I recall, for those who understood and utilized FP+ to its fullest (ie, became "friends with the monster"), the system resulted in far lower wait times. But for overall guests, wait times tended to be longer.

So I wonder if this limit on second Tier A reservations is designed to improve on this situation. Just a thought.

For those who haven't seen it, or for those who want to watch it again, the video I am referring to is here:
Disney's FastPass: A Complicated History

For those who strive to get the most out of the ride reservation system, this is probably true.

But what will the effect be on overall park operations? With fewer people reserving spots on Tier A attractions, is it possible that overall wait times for those attractions will drop?

I'm reminded of the YouTube video from a couple of years ago that analyzed the effect of the FP+ system on overall wait times. As I recall, for those who understood and utilized FP+ to its fullest (ie, became "friends with the monster"), the system resulted in far lower wait times. But for overall guests, wait times tended to be longer.

So I wonder if this limit on second Tier A reservations is designed to improve on this situation. Just a thought.

For those who haven't seen it, or for those who want to watch it again, the video I am referring to is here:
I've watched that video before, I highly recommend it!

Thank you for posting that link. Really enjoyed that. Lots of things in there that I didn't know.

Looking at their FB page, Standby Skipper hasn’t been working for a while now, I think at least a week. Possibly Disney finally shut this down?

Looking at their FB page, Standby Skipper hasn’t been working for a while now, I think at least a week. Possibly Disney finally shut this down?

Disney put some authentication checks in place on their MDE API calls for booking/modifying Genie+ LLs, on July 18th.

Trying to circumvent it would probably draw the ire of Disney, and trying to get an authorized API key for a 3rd party tool is also going to be very difficult if not impossible... especially for a 3rd party tool that charges its users a fee. Can't imagine Disney would want to authorize such an app.

Perhaps since so many folks have decided to try other apps instead of Disney's app for managing their G+ LLs, Disney should look into the reason and try to make their own app better... not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just a perspective.

EDIT: For clarity, I've never used SS or the other apps as I'm fine with Disney's app for my needs.

Perhaps since so many folks have decided to try other apps instead of Disney's app for managing their G+ LLs, Disney should look into the reason and try to make their own app better... not saying anyone is right or wrong here, just a perspective.

EDIT: For clarity, I've never used SS or the other apps as I'm fine with Disney's app for my needs.

One can hope. I know that users of another tool (one that was 100% free and abided by the same Genie+ rules as MDE itself) have been writing letters to Disney explaining why the minimalist tool was so helpful, in hopes that Disney can apply some of those lessons to MDE itself.

I've not used SS myself, but I've heard stories that it was able to book some LLs like 15 minutes before 7am which is pretty unfair. If true, I wouldn't be shocked if that behavior is what spurred Disney into locking down those API calls.

I've not used SS myself, but I've heard stories that it was able to book some LLs like 15 minutes before 7am which is pretty unfair. If true, I wouldn't be shocked if that behavior is what spurred Disney into locking down those API calls.
That’s super unfair. I wonder how it was even able to do that! Especially for rides like slinky that go so quickly

In addition to it requiring no human intervention to actually book the LL, which was done so via a brute force method of continually querying the API to see the availability. After you told it earlier in the day (night before) what ride you wanted. It truly was unfair, and I am happy it was made useless.

That’s super unfair. I wonder how it was even able to do that! Especially for rides like slinky that go so quickly
I noticed this past week that it used the time on your device and not the server to allow you to get a LL. So since the time on my iPad changed before my wife's phone, I was able to grab the LL at 7:00 am before her. Now we're talking like 15 seconds here, but if the server is not checking the time, and you send the request 15 minutes early, it could give you a LL then. Just a theory based on what I saw.

I noticed this past week that it used the time on your device and not the server to allow you to get a LL. So since the time on my iPad changed before my wife's phone, I was able to grab the LL at 7:00 am before her. Now we're talking like 15 seconds here, but if the server is not checking the time, and you send the request 15 minutes early, it could give you a LL then. Just a theory based on what I saw.
Wow. That’s interesting. I wonder if you could change the device time on your phone then to get it

Basically waiting until 7am was only enforced on the Disney app. If you had a way to make the API calls you could book before 7am and the backend would accept it. That's what Standby Skipper used and I'm glad it's finally sleeping with the fishes.

Basically waiting until 7am was only enforced on the Disney app. If you had a way to make the API calls you could book before 7am and the backend would accept it. That's what Standby Skipper used and I'm glad it's finally sleeping with the fishes.
It appears that Standby Skipper is once again up and running. Looks like they figured out a workaround and updated their app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter