Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We fly in 2.5 weeks on Southwest. We currently do not have travel insurance. One way was paid with points and the other way we used an old voucher and paid the rest in cash. Should we buy travel insurance and would SWA be covered if were unlucky and had flight cancellations due to the MAX 8?

There are other flights with layovers the same morning showing as completely sold out-which I kind of doubt so maybe those are the cancelled ones?

Unfortunately, there is nothing left that will work that day. I will have to pay more to fly another airline. I know that I'll get my points back, but I don't want a travel voucher for the taxes. Is there any way around that since they are the ones that canceled my flight?
I’m so sorry to hear about what happened with your flight! I’ve never had a flight cancelled on me before, but I cancelled a flight myself last month that I had booked on points. The points were returned to my account and the $5.60 fee per ticket was refunded to my credit card. Hopefully someone else can chime in but I’d imagine that would happen for you as well.

If the text came from SW I would believe that it is correct. I would call them ASAP to find out what your options are.

If you don't mind, could you please share what you find out? We fly 4 weeks from today and I'll admit to getting a bit concerned.

So far our flight is showing but the 2 after us are now showing as sold out. I'm going to watch things closely.

I'm getting so concerned as well! We don't fly until May, but we're only 6 weeks away as of today and I'm just not happy to hear how SW is handling this. I can't believe they're waiting this late to cancel flights! Why not do it sooner so people have a better chance of getting a decent price and have time to figure out what to do? I'm envisioning them canceling our return flight while we're at Disney and then I end up having to spend part of my vacation time figuring out a solution. Yuck. I really feel for the passengers. Southwest's reputation has to be taking a nosedive (poor word choice, I suppose) in the midst of all of this, at least among those whose flights have been affected.

To anyone who might know:
Is there a way to find out if we have a flight that is at risk? All of our flights are currently still for sale, but as I said before we're still 6 weeks away from our trip.

I'm getting so concerned as well! We don't fly until May, but we're only 6 weeks away as of today and I'm just not happy to hear how SW is handling this. I can't believe they're waiting this late to cancel flights! Why not do it sooner so people have a better chance of getting a decent price and have time to figure out what to do? I'm envisioning them canceling our return flight while we're at Disney and then I end up having to spend part of my vacation time figuring out a solution. Yuck. I really feel for the passengers. Southwest's reputation has to be taking a nosedive (poor word choice, I suppose) in the midst of all of this, at least among those whose flights have been affected.

To anyone who might know:
Is there a way to find out if we have a flight that is at risk? All of our flights are currently still for sale, but as I said before we're still 6 weeks away from our trip.
@shoreward shared fantastic advice and on your exact question just 2 pages ago:
Due to the 737 Max 8 aircraft being grounded, Southwest is canceling about 3.25% of their flights, due to an aircraft shortage. Canceled flights not only are those scheduled to be flown with a Max aircraft; some aircraft are being reassigned to flights that were to be flown with the Max. Customers are very upset. They are being told, in some instances, that their flight was canceled due to a "maintenance issue."

Some recent cancellations have been the day before date of travel. Southwest now says that they will cancel with a five day notice. Unfortunately, coming into peak travel season, there will be very few open seats, booking five days in advance.

With no end in sight, Southwest began ferrying the 737 Max 8 aircraft to the Mojave Desert on Saturday, to wait it out.

For those with upcoming Southwest flights, don't assume your flight will operate, since it was not scheduled with a 737 Max 8. This is a very unfortunate situation, which is not Southwest's fault.

You can certainly try to be proactive and call. They are supposed to notify people, but by the time you are notified, there may not be much choice available. I honestly have not seen anywhere how far in advance they are modifying their schedules.

I can suggest that you check the model of aircraft being used for your flight. You can do this by going on the website, as if you were booking a new reservation for your date and flight. Click on the blue hyperlink flight number on the page of available flights. A box will open, that will display the type of aircraft for the flight. If it shows 737-700, there is less of a chance that your flight will be cancelled and used for a different flight; if it's a 737-800, there is a slight chance of cancellation, as the seating capacity is the same as on the grounded 737 Max 8 aircraft and a candidate for a swap of flights.

This morning I saw on the news that Southwest will not be using the Max planes through May. So I looked at our flights and our flight back home is now showing as SOLD OUT. UGH UGH UGH.

Our only flight segment that was at all affected was the first leg of our flight home, MCO>STL. It was originally scheduled on a Max 8 and is now scheduled on a 737-800. Every other flight we're on is supposed to be a 737-700. So, I guess we'll wait and see for now. They are still selling seats on that flight (May 21) as of today. What a mess.

Mine on a 737-800 is what was canceled even after I inquired about it. Mine with a 737-700 hasn’t been canceled. I read they are trying to give at least 5 days notice. Mine was exactly 5.

Mine on a 737-800 is what was canceled even after I inquired about it. Mine with a 737-700 hasn’t been canceled. I read they are trying to give at least 5 days notice. Mine was exactly 5.

It makes sense that only flights with 737-800 aircraft are potentially candidates for cancellation due to aircraft being reassigned. The 737-700 aircraft have 145 seats, while both the 737-800 and the Max8 have 175 seats. Much more difficult to replace a flight that was using a Max8 with a smaller capacity aircraft.

Steve

I hope that they can extend the cancellation notice beyond 5 days now that they've decided to extend the Max 8 grounding through May. Five days before our 737-800 flight, we'll be at Disney! I don't want to have to deal with this while we're in the middle of our vacation. :scared:

I hope that they can extend the cancellation notice beyond 5 days now that they've decided to extend the Max 8 grounding through May. Five days before our 737-800 flight, we'll be at Disney! I don't want to have to deal with this while we're in the middle of our vacation. :scared:
I agree. They seem to already know that they'll cancel since they seem to mark them as sold out. The next closest flight to the one we are supposed to be on says only 3 seats left. I'd change it now except it costs more than our original tickets. So frustrating.

I agree. They seem to already know that they'll cancel since they seem to mark them as sold out. The next closest flight to the one we are supposed to be on says only 3 seats left. I'd change it now except it costs more than our original tickets. So frustrating.
I've seen though people mention that some of the Sold Out flights have shown up available again.

I guess whenever I saw SOLD OUT I assumed it was related to Max 8 issues but I didn't assume it meant it would be cancelled.

I think a lot of the issue is moving planes around. Some flights are going to be cancelled because there's not enough planes to go around to swap out but other flights they may be able to swap in another plane. BUT they show it as Sold Out to prevent subsequent people from booking them while they work on what to do with that particular flight.

In any case I'm sure it's extremely difficult to do this because while most of us are focused on Max 8 cancellations there still exists weather cancellations and other normal maintenance issues with non-Max 8 planes that get added to the mix. I do wish you had more than 5 days notice no matter if I get the difficulty in doing all this for SWA.

We fly 4 weeks from today so I’ve decided I’m going to check our flights on a daily basis just to be pro-active. I noticed 2 flights after us are already showing as Sold Out. I checked their planes and they’re both 700 and 800.

For anyone flying while the MAXs are grounded, I recommend you check often. I’m going by doing this, if they cancel our flight I might beat the crowd to rebooking.

We fly 4 weeks from today so I’ve decided I’m going to check our flights on a daily basis just to be pro-active. I noticed 2 flights after us are already showing as Sold Out. I checked their planes and they’re both 700 and 800.

For anyone flying while the MAXs are grounded, I recommend you check often. I’m going by doing this, if they cancel our flight I might beat the crowd to rebooking.
Thanks for the advice, we are 4 weeks and 2 days away.

Has it only been the Max and 800s?

We don’t fly until early June so I’m hopeful the Boeing update will fix it by then. Both our flights are currently scheduled for 700s.

I’m pretty nervous about all this canceling of flights. I’m flying out April 12 with my 2 year old by myself! He’s flown many many times but he’s still a challenge and I’ve never done it by myself. I have a direct flight and REALLY need that direct flight with him. As of right now, 12 of the 14 flights that day are being shown as sold out. Yesterday only 2 were .

I went ahead and booked the first flight of the morning the next day as well. And I have companion pass for him. That flight was showing sold out all day yesterday, but today it’s $100 cheaper than what I paid.

My daughter is doing the Disney college program right now and I really want to spend as much time as possible with her! Here’s hoping I get out on the original flight!!

For those of you who unfortunately had their flights cancelled, were you given the option of rebooking a more expensive flight with southwest at no additional charge?

For those of you who unfortunately had their flights cancelled, were you given the option of rebooking a more expensive flight with southwest at no additional charge?
It hasn't happened to me......yet. However a friend had her Boston to Orlando flight cancelled and SWA moved her to a flight the day before at the same time of day. She had just under 2 weeks notice. There were no other flights open on the same day or travel and no flights available the following 2 days. However, I do think they are moving to more expensive flights if available. She tried to change cities and that was not allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter