Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Checked all of our travel funds for the family and finally everything has the correct expiration date. I guess one bright spot in all this doom and gloom is now my kids will be able to utilize their TF instead of us having to let them expire! It’s not much but any bit of brightness is appreciated around here :)

Looks like they're combining some summer flights. DH has gotten emails over the past couple days that both our flights have time changes. (The flight numbers also changed, and when I look online it's gone from 3 non-stop flights down to 2 for both dates.) 7/25: MHT to MCO, and 8/8: MCO to MHT. Both times work out better for us now.

Also not sure why DH is the one getting emails and not me, lol...but in my account I do have the cell # listed for alerts so we'd get it while on vacation...so maybe that's it...

Got the red flag banner last night . This morning flights changed by SW. Changes are thankful not bad at all . Arriving to MCO from Midway 7/31 2 hours later . Coming home I am leaving Disney only 2 hours earlier. They kept me on nonstops too . ( last time layovers) . Hopefully parks open beginning of August. Stay safe all ....
Got some changes too- last week on July. Luckily worked in our favor; bumped our departure up an hour and half and departure flight bumped 3 hours out. I was nervous at first bc we have 2 reservations and I was afraid they didn't move both of them but luckily they did. Hopefully more time in Disney. Please be open!!!

Cancelled my 4/20 flight on-line a couple of weeks ago. Tickets were for me, wife and daughter. My intention was to cancel all three tickets. Just looked at my Travel Funds in my account for the first time, it is just showing funds for one ticket, as opposed to all three. Did I do something wrong when I cancelled? Did I only cancel my ticket and not my wife's and daughter's i.e. am I now eating the price of their "unused" tickets?

Cancelled my 4/20 flight on-line a couple of weeks ago. Tickets were for me, wife and daughter. My intention was to cancel all three tickets. Just looked at my Travel Funds in my account for the first time, it is just showing funds for one ticket, as opposed to all three. Did I do something wrong when I cancelled? Did I only cancel my ticket and not my wife's and daughter's i.e. am I now eating the price of their "unused" tickets?

Your account will only show travel funds under your name, which can only be used by you. Your wife and daughter's TFs will be in their account, which can only be used by them.

Go to flight/manage reservations/view travel funds.
Enter the confirmation number and their name.
You should see the funds associated with them!

I'm still unclear if I take my 6 different travel funds right now that have a Sept 2022 expiration date and book a dummy flight to roll them all into 1 confirmation number, will it be valid 1 year from the booking date or also have the Sept 2022 expiration date.

This is from Southwest's website:

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
It can take up to five business days for the new expiration date to appear in your account. It will also take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes.
It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase.
For example:
  • Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.

Just checked my schedule of July 30 to August 8. Our July 30 changed to an earlier time and still nonstop. The August 8 flight is 25 minutes later and still nonstop.

The price on my August 8 flight home from MCO went way up. $300 for wanna get away!

I never got an email about the changes.

I'm still unclear if I take my 6 different travel funds right now that have a Sept 2022 expiration date and book a dummy flight to roll them all into 1 confirmation number, will it be valid 1 year from the booking date or also have the Sept 2022 expiration date.

However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
It can take up to five business days for the new expiration date to appear in your account. It will also take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes.
It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase.
For example:
  • Your original unused travel funds with confirmation number OLD111 expired on March 19, 2020.
  • These unused travel funds were extended to an expiration date of September 7, 2022.
  • You use some of those funds on August 1, 2020 to book new travel in September under confirmation number NEW111.
  • If for some reason you need to cancel this new flight, your unused travel funds associated with confirmation number NEW111 will be valid for 12 months from the booking date which means they will expire August 1, 2021.
  • Any remaining unused travel funds tied to OLD111 will be available through September 7, 2022.
You could always send a message via Facebook- I always find they are pretty quick to respond.

Both my August 1st to Orlando and August 8th return flight were changed last night. I only got an email about August 1st [that I could change it within 3 days]; fortunately the change was fine. The August 8th flight is pretty awful, but at this point I can't change the flight online at the same cost so I'm gonna wait it out a few days to see if I get the email. Yes, I know I can call, but would rather not deal with that.

Per Southwest’s policy as long as you cancel a “dummy” flight using combined travel funds by September 7, 2020, your new travel fund will have the Sept 7, 2022 expiration. If you cancel it after Sept 7, it will have a cancelation date of one year from the reservation date.
Here is the policy from its website: “Funds that are set to expire or funds that are created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will have an expiration date of September 7,2022.”
This explanation makes more sense to me than anything else I’ve seen, I had credits from a flight I booked last September. Used them to book flights for this summer and now they are tied into the new flights. Am I correct that if I have to cancel my summer flights that I will now have them extended to 2022?

For example:

Pretty sure it will have a one year expiration date if you do that.

Thank you. I asked Southwest via Facebook messenger and that is what they told me.

Ok, I have a new dilemma and need your advice. I have $500+ dollars in credits under 7 different travel fund numbers. 5 out of the 7 were extended to Sept 2022. 2 of them expire in October. I'm worried we will not be flying anywhere in October. They total around $130. What are my options here? I think I read I could book a dummy flight and then cancel it to get them under one confirmation number and the expiration date extended. Is that correct? If yes, is there a flight timeframe I need to look for. I guess I would choose a more expensive flight and just pay the difference in points if that is possible plus the two travel funds. Any advice?

Ok, I have a new dilemma and need your advice. I have $500+ dollars in credits under 7 different travel fund numbers. 5 out of the 7 were extended to Sept 2022. 2 of them expire in October. I'm worried we will not be flying anywhere in October. They total around $130. What are my options here? I think I read I could book a dummy flight and then cancel it to get them under one confirmation number and the expiration date extended. Is that correct? If yes, is there a flight timeframe I need to look for. I guess I would choose a more expensive flight and just pay the difference in points if that is possible plus the two travel funds. Any advice?

I’d find a one way flight to use the credits for; book something for early May. Cancel after a minute, and the next day your combined credit should have the September 2022 expiration date.

I did this last week; had a credit that was going to expire end of next January (and I’m not flying likely until next spring at the earliest) worth over $700. I booked a flight using it (one way was business select so I could make it expensive). Cancelled after a couple minutes. Next morning the credit is good through Sept 2022.

Waiting on the conversion rate that they’re working on, so will consider converting to points. Only benefit is that then I can use the points for anyone in my family.

I had a flight booked for early August that I just discovered Southwest canceled, no email notification. I'm still holding out hope to take this vacation, but am reluctant to rebook currently. If we're able to go as planned, is there any chance of rebooking an available flight at the same price since Southwest is the one who canceled our flights?

The price had gone down significantly from my original booking, so I ended up with almost $400 in travel funds that now expire in Sept. 2022. The current prices are closer to the original booking.

I’d find a one way flight to use the credits for; book something for early May. Cancel after a minute, and the next day your combined credit should have the September 2022 expiration date.

I did this last week; had a credit that was going to expire end of next January (and I’m not flying likely until next spring at the earliest) worth over $700. I booked a flight using it (one way was business select so I could make it expensive). Cancelled after a couple minutes. Next morning the credit is good through Sept 2022.

Waiting on the conversion rate that they’re working on, so will consider converting to points. Only benefit is that then I can use the points for anyone in my family.

Thank you! Appreciate it!

Has anyone had trouble modifying a flight without paying an increased fare? The website says flights through 4/30 can rebook within 60 days, but I have a 5/1 flight. [I would have expected that 4/30 date would have changed by now, but it hasn't] I attempted to change the flight but it's only giving me 30 days to rebook. I contacted Southwest and was told it should actually just be 14 days. Anyone else run into this?

Can someone help me understand what will happen when I cancel our SW flights? We are set to travel in October, but our personal preference is to not be in large crowds until there's a vaccine. I think we're going to delay our trip for now. I purchased the airfare for my family (2 adults, 3 kids) as well as my parents. We're all new to flying SW, so I created a Rapid Rewards account for each adult and linked their ticket to their rapid rewards. The kids tickets aren't linked to any rapid rewards right now.

I see on SW website that if we cancel our tickets (Wanna Get Away) we can convert those travel funds to Rapid Rewards so they never expire and can be used for anyone. Does that mean that my husband and I could use all of the rewards for ourselves to go on a more expensive flight somewhere? Any tips on how to do that all on their website? Or should I really just call?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter