Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Just landed! Funny my airport shuttle to ATL got canceled last night due to inclement weather (flurries and cold temps) but I was lucky to find a last minute ride with a friend!

How long does it take for a flight to show up towards A list status? It was a relatively empty flight and they didn’t even scan my boarding pass when I got on. And I was at the gate 4 minutes after boarding began. She knew my name as soon as I got there and told me I was good to go. But I’m worried not scanning will prevent this flight from showing on my A list progress. Should I be worried? Maybe it didn’t show up yet? Can I call or do I need to go to a ticketing agent? Thx!

I’ve noticed my upcoming flight is on a Max-8 but seems like they have switching to the 737-800 planes instead...are they still flying the Max 8s?

I think I was wrong. I think I just read a headline that said something about the previous grounding and that more are coming on line. China and Indonesia just brought theirs back on line. I am guessing this is what I saw.

Does anybody have any experience with SW having a weather travel advisory?

we are supposed to fly to Mco this Saturday from the northeast where they are calling for a Nor’easter/blizzard. Still nothing definite but it’s looking probable.

There are no direct flights Friday night but there is 1 at 4:55 1 hour layover. I’m willing to do the layover but it would cost and extra 42,000 points per person. Yes!! 42 THOUSAND Extra per person.

According to the research I’ve done, if sw issues a travel advisory for my area, I would be able to move my Saturday flight to Friday night at no extra charge.

we are supposed to fly to Mco this Saturday from the northeast where they are calling for a Nor’easter/blizzard. Still nothing definite but it’s looking probable.

There are no direct flights Friday night but there is 1 at 4:55 1 hour layover. I’m willing to do the layover but it would cost and extra 42,000 points per person. Yes!! 42 THOUSAND Extra per person.

According to the research I’ve done, if sw issues a travel advisory for my area, I would be able to move my Saturday flight to Friday night at no extra charge.
The only experience I have is with hurricane Irma and yes it worked like that where we were able to fly back home a day later than we originally were supposed to by way of rebooking for no additional fare or points. The days you want to switch you have to be covered under the travel advisory or at least that's how it worked for Irma. Someone may be able to give details for an experience much more recent than mine.

Yes, if your upcoming travel is affected by weather, you are allowed to move to Friday night, subject to availability. That availability may have to be for the same fare class as your current flight, i.e. WGA. I would keep a very watchful eye on both your reservation and Southwest’s homepage for a Travel Advisory notice. If your flight is impacted, there should be a link for you to rebook, at no additional cost.
You can try to contact Southwest proactively, but I don’t think they will make any no-cost changes to your itinerary, till the advisory is put in place.

I wish you good luck with the weather.

Yes, if your upcoming travel is affected by weather, you are allowed to move to Friday night, subject to availability. That availability may have to be for the same fare class as your current flight, i.e. WGA. I would keep a very watchful eye on both your reservation and Southwest’s homepage for a Travel Advisory notice. If your flight is impacted, there should be a link for you to rebook, at no additional cost.
You can try to contact Southwest proactively, but I don’t think they will make any no-cost changes to your itinerary, till the advisory is put in place.

I wish you good luck with the weather.
Thanks. Ya. I have obsessively been checking the Southwest app and the weather app all day today. Thanks again for your help.

That is correct. Keep checking for red banner that says you can move your reservation to another flight, before or after. No extra charge.

That is correct. Keep checking for red banner that says you can move your reservation to another flight, before or after. No extra charge.
Update to post: We’re expecting a Nor’Easter in NH on Saturday. I’ve been waiting for the red banner. Instead I called SW 800 number. The call centers have been hearing about upcoming storm and they thankfully moved my flight to Friday morning instead. No fare change. It won’t hurt to give SWA a call.

Yes, happened to us while we were in Florida. There was a snow storm forecasted in the NE for our flight home. Got the alert 1-2 days before suggesting we change flights at no extra charge.

I recently got the advisory last weekend where they were expecting bad weather on the Saturday of my flight. But note - I did NOT see the advisory on the app until I clicked on the Details of my upcoming flight. I didn’t change and thankfully my flight left as scheduled. Empty flight too! I bet a lot of people switched

Just an update. I called Southwest last night and they literally had not 1 flight with 2 seats on it for anything on Friday.

I refreshed all day today and a 1 layover flight popped up and I was able to call and have it switched at no additional points.

booked a room at the Hyatt at Mco for 12,000 points. Not an ideal situation but better than where we were at yesterday. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

Southwest travel advisory issued today* in anticipation of severe weather in the northeast.

If your city is listed and you have confirmed reservations for the referenced dates, you may adjust your flight/travel date at no additional cost, subject to availability of same fare class and same city pairs, within a 14 day window.

*Updated (expanded) advisory issued 01/27/2022:

East Coast Winter Weather

Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the cities and dates listed below, our scheduled service may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled).
Friday- Saturday, January 28-29

• Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Baltimore/Washington, MD (BWI)
  • Boston-Logan, MA (BOS)
  • Charleston, SC (CHS)
  • Charlotte, NC (CLT)
  • Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (GSP)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Long Island/Islip, NY (ISP)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • Myrtle Beach, SC (MYR)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Norfolk, VA (ORF)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Washington-Dulles, DC (IAD)
  • Washington-Reagan National, DC (DCA)
Customers holding reservations to/from/through the cities listed above on the corresponding dates may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.
Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.
Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.
Customers in the U.S. scheduled to travel internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.
Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Last edited:
I got the dreaded email from SW this morning that they had changed my March trip - I was hoping to be in the clear since they hadn't changed it yet, but I got bit by the "change bug"!

However, it wasn't a bad change - they didnt touch our non-stop super early flight down to MCO from RDU but they changed the flight home -we had a MCO/BWI/RDU flight at 9:55am getting home at 3:45pm and they pushed it to 10:35am still getting home at 3:45 so that wasn't too bad at all!

They had actually automatically put us on the non-stop back home leaving at like 6:30am but I can't leave Disney that early after doing hard at the parks for 6 days which is why it was kinda nice to have our flight delayed 40 min but still getting home at the same time - I can handle 40 less minutes in BWI!

Sooo...check your flights!

annnnnddd....just to top it off - I thought to myself I should look and see the point value of the "new flights" for our departure date and the SAME new flight that I had just changed us to, which was basically the same flight we were on before.... was CHEAPER!!

so I turned around and re-booked the SAME flight and saved us over 39k points!! AMAZE-BALLS!!

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

Last edited:
UPDATED WEATHER ADVISORY ISSUED BY SOUTHWEST
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the cities and dates listed below, our scheduled service may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled).

Friday- Saturday, January 28-29
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Baltimore/Washington, MD (BWI)
  • Charleston, SC (CHS)
  • Charlotte, NC (CLT)
  • Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (GSP)
  • Long Island/Islip, NY (ISP)
  • Myrtle Beach, SC (MYR)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Norfolk, VA (ORF)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Washington-Dulles, DC (IAD)
  • Washington-Reagan National, DC (DCA)
Friday-Sunday, January 28-30
  • Boston-Logan, MA (BOS)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter