Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Does SW email you if your schedule changes or do you just have to check the app? Our flights are not until September, I don’t want to keep checking the app everyday unless I have to. Still hoping for a price drop on a nonstop flight so I do check a couple of times a week anyways.

Does SW email you if your schedule changes or do you just have to check the app? Our flights are not until September, I don’t want to keep checking the app everyday unless I have to. Still hoping for a price drop on a nonstop flight so I do check a couple of times a week anyways.

Sometimes I get an email. Sometimes my daughter gets the email and I don’t and sometimes I get no notification so I check daily 😕

Check your summer flights!! I just got back 20k points.
Because they changed our flights, they have us in the 14 day window to “change for free” so the convenient “change” button only shows which flight we can switch to(not the pricing) I did try going through a mock booking to see if there was any benefit to maybe calling to get the price drop hasn’t shown to be worth it unfortunately(yet)
I will say we started at over $300 per person when we booked and are currently at $212 per person so that option has been really great. We had similar results last year with our flights too.

I miss the change button lol.

Because they changed our flights, they have us in the 14 day window to “change for free” so the convenient “change” button only shows which flight we can switch to(not the pricing) I did try going through a mock booking to see if there was any benefit to maybe calling to get the price drop hasn’t shown to be worth it unfortunately(yet)
I will say we started at over $300 per person when we booked and are currently at $212 per person so that option has been really great. We had similar results last year with our flights too.

I miss the change button lol.
We have gone from a crazy high 132k points when we booked opening day and now we are at 65k for the 3 of us. Still higher than normal but we are getting there.

Hi, we have never flown on Southwest and have some questions.

Our home airport is EWR, but we need a nonstop that gets us close to Indiana for a Friday-Sunday trip. The only departure airport for us is LGA into MDW. EWR is the same distance as LGA but have NJ/NY crossings added. The Mets are not home that weekend.

Anytime airfare r/t for the two of us is just over $1000.00. Sticker shock, but it is less expensive than those with connections leaving from EWR.

Q1: has anyone flown Southwest from LGA; and if yes, how was that experience?

Q2: what risks should we consider? It seems like, in reading the various threads here, that flights are commonly subject to changes. We don't have wiggle room for delays/cancellations.

Q3: if the price miraculously drops, can we request a refund in the form of original payment? We do not want credits.

Our other option is to fly United (came down in price) nonstop into ORD and then a shuttle that will take about 2 hours (shuttle from MDW is about 30 minutes less). We will be traveling with carryon only.

Hi, we have never flown on Southwest and have some questions.

Our home airport is EWR, but we need a nonstop that gets us close to Indiana for a Friday-Sunday trip. The only departure airport for us is LGA into MDW. EWR is the same distance as LGA but have NJ/NY crossings added. The Mets are not home that weekend.

Anytime airfare r/t for the two of us is just over $1000.00. Sticker shock, but it is less expensive than those with connections leaving from EWR.

Q2: what risks should we consider? It seems like, in reading the various threads here, that flights are commonly subject to changes. We don't have wiggle room for delays/cancellations.

Q3: if the price miraculously drops, can we request a refund in the form of original payment? We do not want credits.

Our other option is to fly United (came down in price) nonstop into ORD and then a shuttle that will take about 2 hours (shuttle from MDW is about 30 minutes less). We will be traveling with carryon only.
Q1: I have, but it's been a really long time so I don't remember details. I don't recall any glaring negatives.

Q2: Southwest flights are prone to time changes and outright cancellations. My last trip was just in March. The trip down had a time change twice after booking and then was cancelled the morning of. We did get on a flight seven hours later. Due to the last minute change we lost our A group boarding positions and paid $120 for the two of us to upgrade boarding rather than boarding last. The trip home was cancelled after booking. We were put on another, earlier, flight. This was about two weeks before traveling. Day of we were delayed six times for a total of eight hours with a gate change at the last minute. (This roundtrip was not in or out of LGA)

Q3: For a fully refundable rate book Anytime or Business Select, otherwise you will get a credit.

We don't have wiggle room for delays/cancellations.
Unfortunately that is travel in general. I would say SWA is IME pretty reliable in trying hard to get people where they are supposed to especially without having all the codeshare agreements but things happen and some days are worse than others. But they also have constraints like other airlines regarding plane availability and staffing.

As a notation the news doesn't always make note of the full issue nor do passengers always know what is going on. For example Denver airport in January had a big issue with their baggage system (an issue that Denver experiences more often than anyone would like and why they were just given millions of dollars to try and mediate/fix it) which delayed and cancelled primarily SWA (cancelled 1 flight, delayed 225) and United flights (cancelled 56, delayed 115). That wasn't the fault of SWA nor United but what people hear is that SWA had an issue or United had an issue.

Just after the eclipse earlier this week in Austin, TX there was a large backup of people trying to check their bags for SWA flights out of Austin. The two main causes were the sheer influx of people trying to fly right after the eclipse and an airport-operated bag belt being down. Not the fault of SWA but what people hear is SWA had issues.

Personally I wouldn't say SWA is worse than other airlines nor as other poster said prone to cancellations.

As a notation you can see the on time percentage of a flight (based on historical data) for SWA to help you make informed decisions. I wouldn't take it for what will happen but it's SWA's way of providing more information to passengers.

Here's what it looks like---this is me doing a mock booking from my home airport to Orlando for tomorrow. Click the hyperlink of the flight number and you'll get this box that pops up
1713037764617.png

Here's a flight that has a connection
1713037928633.png

A notation that typically when a flight changes from on time to delayed in the official sense is usually 15 mins beyond its original flight time scheduled for that day.

Perhaps what I really should have said is that if you have no wiggle room for cancellations/delays but are determined to fly, all you can do is book the flights that work the best for you and hope for the best regardless of the airline.

I agree with @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson that it's not just a Southwest thing.
I try to fly at a time of day where there are still other flights scheduled for the same route so that if something happens I can hopefully fly later that day. This won't help though if there simply is no extra time to sacrifice.

We have gone from a crazy high 132k points when we booked opening day and now we are at 65k for the 3 of us. Still higher than normal but we are getting there.
I flew out of Phoenix this morning on SW. Yesterday, I pretended to buy a ticket so I could see how full the flight was and noticed it was 30,000 points cheaper than when I bought it. I immediately went in and changed it, got my points back, and then checked in about 10 minutes later. Now I’m wondering how many times I could have had a refund so close to flight time since it has never occurred to me to check literally minutes before check-in.

I would say SWA is IME pretty reliable in trying hard to get people where they are

Based on a recent experience, I'm going to disagree with this.

Back in January, I was due to fly home from California, when they cancelled my flight about an hour before I was due to check in. We were then told that there was NOTHING that would get me home for the next two days "due to weather." Umm, how did they conveniently know that my flight the next day wouldn't be able to fly just before check-in? Yes, there were storms in areas of the country, but it seems like Southwest's MO at that point was to cancel everything rather than trying to risk system-wide issues like they had around Christmas 2022. And their response to customers is "deal with it, there's nothing we can do." I know many people who flew SW around that same time (I was at DL for the runDisney weekend so there were a lot of us) and a bunch of people had similar stories.

I was in Los Angeles and I was willing to take any airport and they claimed that there was nothing available. However, I found out later that my flight from Chicago to Buffalo did fly and arrive that night on time. So all they were looking for was two seats on any flight from L.A. to Chicago.

In the end, I wound up spending double the money to fly on a non-stop JetBlue flight on my original return day. How is it that JetBlue could manage to fly (I was watching cancellations throughout their system and there just weren't many), but SW couldn't?

From now on, I won't be flying SW in the "risky" weather months or anytime when I need to be in a certain place at a certain time. Just my experience...

Based on a recent experience, I'm going to disagree with this.

Back in January, I was due to fly home from California, when they cancelled my flight about an hour before I was due to check in. We were then told that there was NOTHING that would get me home for the next two days "due to weather." Umm, how did they conveniently know that my flight the next day wouldn't be able to fly just before check-in? Yes, there were storms in areas of the country, but it seems like Southwest's MO at that point was to cancel everything rather than trying to risk system-wide issues like they had around Christmas 2022. And their response to customers is "deal with it, there's nothing we can do." I know many people who flew SW around that same time (I was at DL for the runDisney weekend so there were a lot of us) and a bunch of people had similar stories.

I was in Los Angeles and I was willing to take any airport and they claimed that there was nothing available. However, I found out later that my flight from Chicago to Buffalo did fly and arrive that night on time. So all they were looking for was two seats on any flight from L.A. to Chicago.

In the end, I wound up spending double the money to fly on a non-stop JetBlue flight on my original return day. How is it that JetBlue could manage to fly (I was watching cancellations throughout their system and there just weren't many), but SW couldn't?

From now on, I won't be flying SW in the "risky" weather months or anytime when I need to be in a certain place at a certain time. Just my experience...
That's okay you're certainly able to disagree :flower3: I just wouldn't want any one person, especially newer to SWA, to base off any one person's recent experience (including my own). It's historical and long-term usage of an airline that I was discussing, especially without having codeshare agreement.

As far as your cancellation when weather hits, especially significant storms consequences from that aren't always a one day thing. They often have ripple effects that can affect for several days even. Their planes handle anywhere from 143 to 175 passengers. So shifting all (which many flights go out full or nearly full) can take time and shuffling around. This happens to all airlines where it can take days to get you on the next available flight and has most def. happened to people I know.

As far as how could JetBlue fly but not SWA? Well because you need to know where planes are coming from and going to, what is in their fleet, etc. Like I mentioned to another poster flightaware is a good place to check. I used to watch my husband flights when he was in Long Beach, CA to home, from Houston, TX to home and from Baltimore, Maryland to home when he was flying back and forth every two weeks for months and months. You get to learn the pathway of a plane. His flight from Maryland coming back home (to the middle of the U.S.) often started in California in the morning making its way across the U.S. (I believe it stopped in TX, then Nashville, then North Carolina, etc) and if any storms happened along the way it could impact his flight (and this did happen). One time there was a cancellation due to crew time outs.

People hear "weather" and think it strictly pertains to where they are at but that is not how thousands of planes are able to fly across the U.S. each day.

But on a positive note like I mentioned a bit back on this thread on our February trip from UT back home "a baggage cart hit the plane causing a gouge in it and taking the plane out of service and the 12 or so of us on the plane had to deplane and wait in the gate area. They were able to get us a new plane quite quickly (maybe 20 or so minutes)" so they had the ability that take to take another flight's intended plane to use for ours. I can't fault any airline for not being able to that as a norm and count it as we got lucky. I sure hope the passengers whose plane we took were able to get out quickly enough otherwise they could have felt like you did with being upset with SWA.

1. I have not flown in or out of LGA.
2. If you don't have wiggle room for delays/cancellations, you should rethink when you're planning to fly. No matter the airline, or city pair, if you need to be there, you need to have at least a secondary if not tertiary plan on how to do that. Every airline has issues and delays, some are better than others at preventing those issues and some are better at recovering. SW is not in the top half of recovering from any disruptions. Their business model and route network make them more susceptible to issues. But at the same time, I've had many more problems with delays with American than I have with SW.
3. Anytime or Business Select tickets are eligible for refunds to original form of payment.

Depending on where in Indiana you are going, there may be other options that are as fast or faster and don't involve going into Chicago.

Southwest might have already know that either the plane or the crew wouldn't be able to get to your flight. I actually would rather them cancel as soon as they know the flight's not going to fly (instead of doing the delay . . . delay . . . delay thing and then cancelling right around flight time).

As PP said, weather issues can have ripple effects. And, even if there's no weather where you are, there may be weather where you're going, where your plane is coming from, or somewhere in between. I fly from Chicago to Orlando pretty regularly, and even if it's blue skies in Chicago we'll see weather delays due to thunderstorms in Central Florida or even Northern Florida (that essentially "blocks" planes from being able to fly into Florida).

I'm sure Southwest didn't cancel everything, but sometimes, because they don't operate a hub model like other airlines do, they do have to cancel a lot of flights to get everything back to normal. It happens, but again, as PP noted, sometimes it's things out of Southwest's control (or only partially in their control) and they get a bad rap.

I notice SWA pricing for the same flight changes throughout the day. Is there a pattern to this, like certain times of the day or is this completely random?

For example, one flight today from Dallas to MCO has been $184, $214, $224 and $246. Right now it is $214.

I notice SWA pricing for the same flight changes throughout the day. Is there a pattern to this, like certain times of the day or is this completely random?

For example, one flight today from Dallas to MCO has been $184, $214, $224 and $246. Right now it is $214.
No pattern...I literally check like 15 times a day trying to get points back...lol

Airlines figured out how to implement surge pricing even before Uber and Lyft were a thing! They are trying to figure out how much you will pay for the ticket. And sometimes, that really does mean you (singular), like in they're using computer cookies to track what they've given you, and try to establish your level of desperation.

Airlines figured out how to implement surge pricing even before Uber and Lyft were a thing! They are trying to figure out how much you will pay for the ticket. And sometimes, that really does mean you (singular), like in they're using computer cookies to track what they've given you, and try to establish your level of desperation.
Lol I read that as depression at first. I thought how does it know that? But then I realized they are pretty close to the same thing when it comes to airfare lol

The pricing is the same for all people on all computers for the same flight. What they do "record" is how many times a particular flight is searched compared to purchased.

SOURCE: Used to work for SWA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter