Potential first time renter, a few questions

joyfulDisneytears

DIS Veteran
I know next to nothing about OKW and SSR. Any fantastic features that would make me choose one over the other?

Conversely, I see the Animal Kingdom studios are fairly low point-wise, is there any reason I shouldn't go for that?

We are honeymooning at the World in October and want to split our value resort stay with a DVC rental, as we will probably never have the opportunity to stay at a deluxe under normal circumstances.

Thanks, oh knowledgeable DVC folks <3

Animal kingdom has relatively low point studios as you stated. There are also value studios that are even lower, but they fill up at the 11 month mark quickly. So assuming you are looking at the normal studios, they are a great deal IMO.

If you want to be able to walk to downtown then go with ssr. If you want more privacy go other okw.

Points are lower at OKW and rooms are BIGGER. But SSR is (slightly) closer to DTD and has several great pools. Both resorts are beautiful and you really can't go wrong either way. Have fun planning your trip!

All the ones you mentioned are good and each has its own special things. A studio at OkW will have 2 queen beds, at SSR and AKV you will have a queen bed and a sofa bed. If you splurge and go for a 1 BR they will all have a king size bed, jacuzzi and full kitchen. OKW has one themed pool and 3 neighborhood pools which are smaller but very nice. SSR has a total of 4 pools also. AKV has one at Kidani and one at jambo. Bus service is good at all three. AKV has the longest bus rides to several parks and DTD. Try to find some pictures for a better idea. OKW and SSR have boats that go to DTD as well as buses. OKW only has elevators in two buildings so if stairs are a problem that could be a challenge if you don't get a ground floor unit. You may not have many choices if you don't do something soon. Some times in October have been difficult to get in the last few years.
Good luck and congratulations on your wedding and have a great honeymoon.

Low point options tend to go very quickly - especially in October which is a really popular time with members, so you need to have your owner lined up in advance of eleven months.

If you want October this year, availability may be spotty.

Thanks for the feedback all. I have preferences on resort of course but really I'll take what I can find. I know we're doing this on short notice, we just decided within the last week that we'd have a much better time doing Disney than lying on a beach somewhere for a week. :)

All the ones you mentioned are good and each has its own special things. A studio at OkW will have 2 double beds, at SSR and AKV you will have a queen bed and a sofa bed. If you splurge and go for a 1 BR they will all have a king size bed, jacuzzi and full kitchen. OKW has one themed pool and 3 neighborhood pools which are smaller but very nice. SSR has a total of 4 pools also. AKV has one at Kidani and one at jambo. Bus service is good at all three. AKV has the longest bus rides to several parks and DTD. Try to find some pictures for a better idea. OKW and SSR have boats that go to DTD as well as buses. OKW only has elevators in two buildings so if stairs are a problem that could be a challenge if you don't get a ground floor unit. You may not have many choices if you don't do something soon. Some times in October have been difficult to get in the last few years.
Good luck and congratulations on your wedding and have a great honeymoon.

A studio at OKW has 2 queen beds. For a honeymoon, I would go with a 1 bedroom.

Yes, a 1BR with a King bed and a whirlpool tub would be best (and i would prefer a Kidani or OKW 1BR) but I can unserstand if its not in the cards.

For a points saving couple-only trip, I would avoid OKW studios because I would rather have a couch to sit on vs a 2nd bed that would not be used.

For studios I prefer Jambo, but Kidani would be my 2nd choice (inside walk to lobby if its rainy) But SSR would be nicer if you plan on going to DTD a few times.

And FWIW, DVC points stays are not eligible for free dining (just like AAA discounted rooms are not eligible for free dining, either)

I know next to nothing about OKW and SSR. Any fantastic features that would make me choose one over the other?

Conversely, I see the Animal Kingdom studios are fairly low point-wise, is there any reason I shouldn't go for that?

We are honeymooning at the World in October and want to split our value resort stay with a DVC rental, as we will probably never have the opportunity to stay at a deluxe under normal circumstances.

Thanks, oh knowledgeable DVC folks <3

It's going to be hard to get a full week at even OKW or SSR for October. But you won't know unless you try. The lower point AKV studios are value studios and are very limited in number and are only in Jambo House on the fifth floor. I go with a one bedroom villa to get the king sized bed.

Definitely do the one-bedroom if you can! The jacuzzi tubs are big enough for two. ;-) OKW will definitely be the quieter, more low-key option. If you do AKV, spring for a savannah view room. It's a totally unique experience and again well worth the money. :)

Spoke to a booking agent who said everything for points is sold out then. Can anyone confirm?

In any case I appreciate the responses to my ?s

Spoke to a booking agent who said everything for points is sold out then. Can anyone confirm?

In any case I appreciate the responses to my ?s
Your dates include Columbus Day weekend. It's very popular and books very quickly - several of the southern schools have Columbus Day (10/14/2013) off and quite a few even have that entire week off for a fall break.

I haven't checked myself (the DIS policy does not allow availability checks), but I am sure that the agent is telling the truth. We have had reports of others asking about chances on the waitlist for dates within that time frame. Sorry.

Thanks! Didn't know about that rule, didn't mean to step in any toes!

It didn't occur to me at all that Columbus Day was that Monday until a day or two ago...of course once I did I was wishing we'd planned to have our wedding later in the month so we'd miss the holiday. :P I'm not used to thinking of it as an actual "holiday" because I haven't had it as a day off since I was a small child!

I'll be keeping rental in mind for future trips, in any case. Thanks again, all.

Thanks! Didn't know about that rule, didn't mean to step in any toes!

It didn't occur to me at all that Columbus Day was that Monday until a day or two ago...of course once I did I was wishing we'd planned to have our wedding later in the month so we'd miss the holiday. :P I'm not used to thinking of it as an actual "holiday" because I haven't had it as a day off since I was a small child!

I'll be keeping rental in mind for future trips, in any case. Thanks again, all.

Are you willing to splurge for a 1 bedroom - king size bed, jacuzzi tub, washer & dryer in the villa? If so, you probably will find availability for that at SSR. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter