Pregnant Prime Minister

Maybe not to you. But she must have been well known enough to get the most votes.

Actually no-she didn’t get the most votes- she got almost 10% less than the leading party, however we are an MMP govt.
Maybe read up on it before you comment.

I don't know why people keep saying it's 2018. Women being (successful and powerful) leaders is no new thing. Many had children while in power. They were EXPECTED to.

Here, OP, go ahead and educate yourself on how women lead, whether their uteruses are still firing on all cylinders or not.

https://www.google.com/amp/bigthink.com/paul-ratner/top-15-most-powerful-women-in-history.amp

While I agree that there have been many woman leaders who performed their duties while having children, it was not so long ago that being pregnant was used against woman in the workplace. Prior to the Pregnancy discrimination Act of 1978, a woman could be discriminated against based upon her pregnancy. That's why I made the "2018" not because there haven't been powerful woman in the past, but because there was a stereotype that existed not so long ago. It's shocking to me that someone in 2018 would even think that way, but they do.

I don't know why people keep saying it's 2018. Women being (successful and powerful) leaders is no new thing. Many had children while in power. They were EXPECTED to.

Here, OP, go ahead and educate yourself on how women lead, whether their uteruses are still firing on all cylinders or not.

https://www.google.com/amp/bigthink.com/paul-ratner/top-15-most-powerful-women-in-history.amp
While I agree that there have been many woman leaders who performed their duties while having children, it was not so long ago that being pregnant was used against woman in the workplace. Prior to the Pregnancy discrimination Act of 1978, a woman could be discriminated against based upon her pregnancy. That's why I made the "2018" not because there haven't been powerful woman in the past, but because there was a stereotype that existed not so long ago. It's shocking to me that someone in 2018 would even think that way, but they do.
Oh, I know. My mom kept losing her jobs when she was pregnant with my older siblings. But, I guess I was more so making the point that we've moved backwards instead of progressing. It's like we've made a U. Started out believing women were capable of so much more, then women were delicate flowers whose sensibilities must be protected at all costs, now we are mostly on the upward swing again.

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

Oh, I know. My mom kept losing her jobs when she was pregnant with my older siblings. But, I guess I was more so making the point that we've moved backwards instead of progressing. It's like we've made a U. Started out believing women were capable of so much more, then women were delicate flowers whose sensibilities must be protected at all costs, now we are mostly on the upward swing again.

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

totally agree with you!

A sitting US Senator announces she will be a mother again. Her first child was born when she was a Congresswoman.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42797911

Bless her! A baby at 50 wow! That's more shocking to me than being in Congress.

Good for her. My youngest is 16 and I'll be 50 my next birthday. Can't imagine starting over. But it seems this is something she's wanted for a long time.

So, just to clarify, she was a Congresswoman then and she is a Congresswoman now. Accurately, she was a U.S. Representative then, and is a U.S. Senator now. It's all Congress :D
LOL!
I'm pretty sure she has been a woman throughout;). Me, I think she's really a superwoman now since having a child had her age is hard work:laundy:.

Her first child was born when she was a Congresswoman.

I'm pretty sure she has been a woman throughout

Well, yeah. That's not the distinction I was making. How about, she was in Congress [when she had her first child, and she's in Congress now. There are two parts to Congress - the Senate, and the House of Representatives. She has now held both offices.

It's actually math, specifically set theory:
All Representatives are Congresspersons.
All Senators are Congresspersons.
Not all Congresspersons are Representatives.
Not all Congresspersons are Senators

Bless her! A baby at 50 wow! That's more shocking to me than being in Congress.

Good for her. My youngest is 16 and I'll be 50 my next birthday. Can't imagine starting over. But it seems this is something she's wanted for a long time.

And she is a double amputee.

Not at all-I Do think starting any job while already pregnant is very different than “wants a family”

Pregnancy however is a choice. Not to say she shouldn’t be able to have kids, but I do think it was misleading and unprofessional to take on such a role knowing she was already pregnant.

I took a job once knowing I was pregnant. I didn't tell them until 2-3 months into the position. They were all good with it. The organization kept functioning, work still got done. This was almost 20 years ago.

Well, yeah. That's not the distinction I was making. How about, she was in Congress [when she had her first child, and she's in Congress now. There are two parts to Congress - the Senate, and the House of Representatives. She has now held both offices.

It's actually math, specifically set theory:
All Representatives are Congresspersons.
All Senators are Congresspersons.
Not all Congresspersons are Representatives.
Not all Congresspersons are Senators

Actually, it would be congressperson, not Congressperson. You only capitalize when you are referring to a specific person and their title, i.e. Congressman John Doe. And, while a Senator is a member of Congress and technically a congressman/person, you NEVER refer to them as such.

I interned for my congressman for a year and a half and spent 10 years lobbying members of Congress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter