Preopening program at AKV....clarification please?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
In the Members Benefits guide, they have what is called a Preopening program. I think I understand it. It means that they will release a limited number of rooms to be rented by DVC members during construction, correct?

For example, the rooms that will be available after Sept, the renovated lodge rooms, will be the rooms in the preopening program?

OK, if I am way off here, forget this entire post, but if I am correct, then what I am reading means there should not be any AKV points for rent on the rent/trade board.

quote from the guide: pg.14

1. RESERVATION LIMITATIONS Reservations for accomodations at the Preconstruction Resort may be requested in accordance with the same reservation windows and policies as apply for reservations in the Disney Vacation Club central reservation system. Reservation requests may be made only by a DVC member, however reserved accomodations may be occupied by a DVC member and/or a guest or guests. Reserved accomodations are for the personal use of DVC members and their guests and ......(here is where it gets good)......may not be assigned, bartered, rented, sold, otherwise transferred or used for any commercial purpose by the DVC member or guest in whose name the reservation was confirmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is in black and white. It says the reservations cannot be rented.

Am I reading this wrong, or do people just ignore the rules?

1. RESERVATION LIMITATIONS Reservations for accomodations at the Preconstruction Resort may be requested in accordance with the same reservation windows and policies as apply for reservations in the Disney Vacation Club central reservation system. Reservation requests may be made only by a DVC member, however reserved accomodations may be occupied by a DVC member and/or a guest or guests. Reserved accomodations are for the personal use of DVC members and their guests and ......(here is where it gets good)......may not be assigned, bartered, rented, sold, otherwise transferred or used for any commercial purpose by the DVC member or guest in whose name the reservation was confirmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is in black and white. It says the reservations cannot be rented.

Am I reading this wrong, or do people just ignore the rules?

I think the key phrase is actually "for commercial purposes".

I think the key phrase is actually "for commercial purposes".

No, I looked closely at that and it says OR use for any commercial purpose.

That two letter word is huge inside a contract.

I agree with the OP's interpretation. For PRECONSTRUCTION RESORTS renting is expressly prohibited.

Of course I'm neither a Lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I am sure our amazing DISboard sleuths will ID the renters and report them to DVC Compliance, at least I hope they will.....

-Tony

P.S. I'm now accepting preconstruction ressies for Club rooms only (all 5 of them!) ;) <===== A Joke, really a joke!

I agree with the PO's interpretation. For PRECONSTRUCTION RESORTS renting is expressly prohibited.

P.S. I'm now accepting preconstruction ressies for Club rooms only (all 5 of them!) ;) <===== A Joke, really a joke!

And I'm NOT LAUGHING!!!

:rotfl: OK, really I am!!!
Bobbi:rotfl:

Oh, Oh...me me! I would like to request a 2 bedroom for the week of Christmas! :lmao:

I should hope that the renting doesn't get out of hand. We have a long was to go before the DVC lodge is complete and very few rooms for those of us who pluncked down our money first!
In other words.. Its mine, nacho! :upsidedow

No, I looked closely at that and it says OR use for any commercial purpose.

That two letter word is huge inside a contract.

I think it's just written badly.. probably should be grouped like this:

(..may not be assigned, bartered, rented, sold, otherwise transferred, or used) (for any commercial purpose...)

So, you can't do any of X for commercial reasons.

I'm still going with the fact that it's very badly written.

(..may not be assigned, bartered, rented, sold, otherwise transferred, or used) (for any commercial purpose...)

The wording in your first parenthesis makes no sense, what does "or used" mean? Used for what? They already spelled out all the uses.

Nice try, though!;)

Yep...because if you read it the other way, you also can't reserve a room for a family member either (that would be transferring a reservation) when it states earlier that 'accomodations may be occupied by a DVC member and/or a guest or guests' so that isn't the case.

may not be assigned, bartered, rented, sold, otherwise transferred or used for any commercial purpose by the DVC member or guest in whose name the reservation was confirmed.

Here is my take on it; if Disney meant for all of the above to be include in the "for commercial purpose" if would have said or any other commercial purpose, not just "or any commercial purpose". The word OR is the key word. It will however be hard for Disney to determine if these have been rented or there is just a guest using the room.

I know this is a little OT, or maybe not, but a woman here in Oklahoma just had charges dropped against her by a judge for manslaughter due to neglect because the law said she had to have failed to provide food, shelter AND proper supervision. She put her 7 month old baby in a tub and went to sleep and the baby drowned but because she had provided everything but the supervision the case was thrown out. That AND word let that woman get off. My point is that the word OR is important. It does mean any of the above or commercial purposes.

Sorry for the rant!

Also, I feel that the "...or commercial purposes" may also include using the reserved room for commercial purposes. You can't run a Beauty Sallon or Dentist's Office or Bookie Operation out of your room. I am not convinced it only means commercial renting.

Just another 2 cents to consider.

-Tony

Also, I feel that the "...or commercial purposes" may also include using the reserved room for commercial purposes. You can't run a Beauty Sallon or Dentist's Office or Bookie Operation out of your room. I am not convinced it only means commercial renting.

-Tony

Well dang! I was planning on running my bookie operation out of there! I guess I won't do that add on after all!

Tony I just wanted to let you know that your posts always make me smile! Thanks for making our board such a happy place!

And it seems clear that you cannot run your commerical DVC renting operation while staying at a DVC resort! :rotfl:

In my Member Benifits Guide this line is on page 13, and the whole section applies to Saratoga Springs Resort. Does everyone else have a guide that mentions AKV in the Preopening program? Mine is dated 1/4/2007.

From what I'm getting the pre-opening program has to do with units of Saratoga Springs that aren't officially opened yet. Once a unit is opened, I don't think they would be a part of the pre-opening program.

What leads me to believe that is a few lines:
"DVC Members may reserve accommodations at a DVC Resort ("DVC" Accommodations") and exchange those accommodations for a reservation of accommodations being constructed by DVC."

"In exchange for receiving a confirmed reservation for such accommodations, the DVC member will be assisted by Member Services to reserve, subject to the satisfaction of the DVC Member and all terms and conditions required for making a reservation, comparable DVC Accommodations using the appropriate PreOpening Points charts set forth below."

I don't think they can legally start charging dues until the whole unit is done and in the system. Maybe until that time, in order to have members use the rooms in those units it has to be treated as an exchange?

-Tony

Gosh darn it , I was going to earn my WDW spending money by ......how do you say.......entertain the fellows !!! Thats why I wanted a 1 bedroom not studio!

<VBG>

Gosh darn it , I was going to earn my WDW spending money by ......how do you say.......entertain the fellows !!! Thats why I wanted a 1 bedroom not studio!

<VBG>

PM me, PLEASE!!!! :cool1:

PDRA2.jpg

-Tony

I agree with the OP's interpretation. For PRECONSTRUCTION RESORTS renting is expressly prohibited.

Of course I'm neither a Lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I am sure our amazing DISboard sleuths will ID the renters and report them to DVC Compliance, at least I hope they will.....

-Tony

Hey I will offer you $6 a point since I want 12/24-1/2 and the point costs are so high...do you take Western Union?? :rotfl2:

This only applies to the pre-construction program and nothing else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter