Pronunciation of Le Cellier?

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
This is a stupid question, but how do you pronounce Le Cellier? I want to call for a PS, but I need to know how to say it.

Thanks!

Beth

It is funny that you posted this, because when I called to make PS the first time here, I butchered the name. I assumed it was a french pronunciation, and that the "r" might be silent. But, I was apparently wrong. The CM pronounced it phonetically "Lay Cell-ee-er".

I always thought it was Lay Celyay, but what do I know. ;) Im sure the CMs must hear that pronounced a million different ways so dont be too worried about it. :D

I always thought the "r" would be silent too. In fact, I'm sure it would be in French, or French-Canadian. But we've evidently Americanized it! :p

Well that's incorrect using a French pronumciation.

Le(means-"the" for a singular noun) is pronounced "Ler"

Les(means "the" for a plural noun) is pronounced "Lay"

Cell...leee....ay is how I'd say it(I am only basing this on 6 years of French classes!;) )

Huh, this is a funny thread - one of those, didn't know I needed it but I do. I also always give a francophile pronunciation of:

LEUH CELLYAY

I guess I have been wrong.

(16 years of French here)

LOL! I pronounce it like castlegazer, 1 year of HS French!! :teeth: I've heard the cm's pronounce it both "Le Cell-ee-ay" and "Le Cell-ee-er," so they are confused, too, apparently!!:laughing:

Edited to add: Oh, and I forgot "Le Cell-eer!"

I think when I called to make lunch reservations there for last February, the CM butchered the name worse than I did!:teeth:

I should add, Ive taken no French. All Ive learned has come from hockey players names. ;) :teeth:

luh suhll-yay (emphasis on the final yay sound)

I was a French major. Still fluent, even though I don't use my degree.

:teeth:

I see you have plenty of pronunciation choices.

In French, we say something that sounds like "leu sell-ee-ay". If you say "la sell-ee-ay", you're changing a masculine noun into a feminine one. I know you don't have genders for you're nouns in English, but in French, these genders are really important. For example, the sun is masculine and it would be very odd to think of it as a feminine word. :sunny: Anyway, it does not really matter for, when I think of it, it's not uncommon that English-speaking people don't understand me when I pronounce a French word with the right French pronunciation, even if I'm talking about something they know better than me (like Le Cellier). :listen:
I just hope I didn't make to many mistakes in my English message (I never have the opportunity of speaking English at home, so I'm not good at it!).
:blush:
I hope you'll have a great meal! :wave:

Originally posted by ilovefh
LOL! I just say " I need a PS for the restaurant in Canada" :D

This is exactly what I said after debating the pronunciation while on hold. :D

This is cute. I simply say "I would like to make reservations at the main restaurant in Canada" and then they say "oh Le Cellier" and I say yes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter