PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side ...2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley!

Longtime lurker joining in late for the party...can't wait to read about all the fun.

Happy anniversary! :love:party:

Happy Anniversary!!!!:cake::rose::woohoo:

Gotta love the enthusiasm of teenagers...bet they aren't this cheerful at an early hour at home....

Ha ha! No kidding!!! :rotfl:
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: Keeping in the spirit of the young here's a few cheers to set you off!! It's actually here and you are both on your way.

The photo is great "Happy Anniversary" - to think we all looked so young (not that we aren't now of course, just slightly matured ;))

lol...."matured"....I think I'm going go have to borrow that :thumbsup2 .

Longtime lurker joining in late for the party...can't wait to read about all the fun.

Happy anniversary! :love:party:

Welcome, and thank you! :goodvibes

Have a great trip. Cant wait for updates.

Thank you!! :)

Our arrival day went very, very well. Flight was super smooth and we landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Our bags were two of the first to come bursting out from the bowels of the airport, and picking up our rental car from Dollar was super quick thanks to Dollar Express and being able to go straight to the garage...so we were in the car and on our way by 11:10 am.

We stopped at Sweet Tomatoes for lunch before checking into the Vistana, and loved it. The resort had our villa ready when we arrived at 12:30, which is well before the 4 pm check-in...AND they honoured every special request we had (top floor one bedroom premium villa with a balcony, Lakes section, near Fountains pool). The villa is very large with a lovely skylight in the living room to let in all that Florida sun. We have a beautiful view of both the Lakes pool and the adjacent lake.

After settling in and unpacking, we headed to Universal. Activated our annual passes and our Photoconnect AP, then strolled around Universal for a couple of hours (it was an early closure last night due to Grad Bash). Rode some rides, had a butterbeer (yum!!) and visited Diagon Alley (breathtaking!!).

We had dinner at Hash House a Go Go (crazy portions!), picked up a few grocery items at Publix on our way back to the resort, then spent a couple of hours in the Fountains hot tubs and pool. Met some wonderful people while lounging in the hot tub from Buffalo, Colorado, Ottawa and one Florida local and had a great chat with them all.

The weather was simply perfect yesterday.....warm, sunny, a gorgeous breeze. Couldn't have asked for nicer.

Today the plans call for breakfast at the Waffle House, a portion of the day at Daytona Beach, then dinner at the Knife and some lounging at the resort. Of course, the plans also called for sleeping in......but here we are, up at the crack of dawn :rolleyes2 (I will blame that on Steve's internal clock....hard to change when you are up at 5:30 am every day in real life!).

I think our boy is missing us. He was adamant that we didn't need to call and check in every day, but I think he's called us at least three times each day we've been gone. Lots of text messages too :laughing: . My momma side is so happy we're in regular contact, because truth be told, its strange not to have him here!! I know Steve's feeling it, too....first thing he said when he exited Transformers yesterday was "Jake would have LOVED that ride!".

Thanks for the anniversary wishes!! It was a truly fabulous day.

Glad things are going well!

I love the part that you are so thankful you can take these trips, what a great way to look at life :goodvibes

Wahhhooo! Welcome to Florida for the week! :beach:

I have to admit; the part about high school kids on your plane made me gigggle. In high school; our Marching band went to disneyland twice; but we took our own busses; but we had over 300 kids both times; it felt like we took over disneyland for sure! Now, I see those school groups in the parks; and I turn and run the other way!

Belated anniversary wishes to you both..........

Glad your boy is in touch, it will be strange for you without him. But have a blast and enjoy that sunshine......:rainbow:

What a great first day. Just wants me to make the next three months go faster (but at my age I should want it to go slower!!). Looking forward to hearing what you think of The Knife and Waffle House. In 11 previous trips we have driven past Waffle Houses so many times and never gone in and I LOVE waffles. Also never been to IHOP and I LOVE pancakes even more than waffles. We have no Disney in our three week trip so will have a lot more time to try some new restaurants.
So jealous that you had butterbeer. Would love one of those right now. My husband tries to make them with cream soda and spray cream, just not the same (but we don't tell him that of course)
Looking forward to the next instalment.

A great start in Orlando, looking forward to your reports on Universal - we will be there in July and taking our nephew with us (his first visit to Florida). Looking forward to the new bit of Harry Potter, but not the queues.

Have a brilliant time :goodvibes

Glad things are going well!

I love the part that you are so thankful you can take these trips, what a great way to look at life :goodvibes

Thanks ArwenMarie :) . Its so important to keep in mind just how truly blessed we all are!

Wahhhooo! Welcome to Florida for the week! :beach:

I have to admit; the part about high school kids on your plane made me gigggle. In high school; our Marching band went to disneyland twice; but we took our own busses; but we had over 300 kids both times; it felt like we took over disneyland for sure! Now, I see those school groups in the parks; and I turn and run the other way!

Thank you, chiamarie! May I say you had some spectacular weather waiting for us ::yes:: .

We couldn't help but laugh at the fact that we leave our 19 year old at home for the first time, and have 50 more of them on the plane :rotfl: . It was just to ironic not to be amusing!

Belated anniversary wishes to you both..........

Glad your boy is in touch, it will be strange for you without him. But have a blast and enjoy that sunshine......:rainbow:

Thanks schumi! :thumbsup2 All that sunshine has us pasty Canadians a little burned today, so I've broken out the SPF 100 and we're slathering it on :sunny:.

What a great first day. Just wants me to make the next three months go faster (but at my age I should want it to go slower!!). Looking forward to hearing what you think of The Knife and Waffle House. In 11 previous trips we have driven past Waffle Houses so many times and never gone in and I LOVE waffles. Also never been to IHOP and I LOVE pancakes even more than waffles. We have no Disney in our three week trip so will have a lot more time to try some new restaurants.
So jealous that you had butterbeer. Would love one of those right now. My husband tries to make them with cream soda and spray cream, just not the same (but we don't tell him that of course)
Looking forward to the next instalment.

The Waffle House we stopped at in LBV was so disgusting, we took a pass and went to IHOP instead. We couldn't bring ourselves to eat there....hoping another location later this week won't let us down.

The Knife? Well, I will wait and fill you in on that in my trip report. Too much to write ... and that's all I'm gonna say about that :rolleyes: (for now, lol!).

A great start in Orlando, looking forward to your reports on Universal - we will be there in July and taking our nephew with us (his first visit to Florida). Looking forward to the new bit of Harry Potter, but not the queues.

Have a brilliant time :goodvibes

Thank you! :goodvibes

Yesterday was another stunning day weather-wise, and we spent the bulk of it at Daytona Beach (and the remainder enjoying the pools and hot tubs here at the Vistana). It was very, very relaxing.....so much so, I almost felt guilty!

Today we're off for a full day at the parks: my mission is to meet Shrek and Scooby before the day's end. I may also pay my beloved Minions another visit......meeting them on Friday was definitely one of the highlights for me so far!

We've had nothing but sun so far, and the temperatures are so pleasant. There's been a consistent breeze that's not doing my hair any justice :crazy2: but is certainly keeping the warm weather feeling mighty comfy. After 3 August trips, not having that oppressive humidity has been a rather nice change. Steve, in particular, is certainly getting won over to the idea of traveling in late April / early May for future trips!

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

No loss on the Waffle house :used to be our late night fix after we got off work-Disney college program- for "smothered, covered" hash browns but my stomach doesn't do the grease well anymore. We love Ihop though!

Still planning TGI Friday's later in the week? I have the recipe for the Jack Daniels sauce...my absolute favorite part of this place.

The beach and pool day sounds amazing! Glad the weather is cooperating:)
Happy Character Hunting!

The Waffle House we stopped at in LBV was so disgusting, we took a pass and went to IHOP instead. We couldn't bring ourselves to eat there....hoping another location later this week won't let us down.

Might just stick with Toojays for breakfast then as absolutely love it there and great waffles. If you have never been there, its really is good. Full of locals and a great little deli aswell for takeaway bagels and salads and fantastic cheesecake.

No loss on the Waffle house :used to be our late night fix after we got off work-Disney college program- for "smothered, covered" hash browns but my stomach doesn't do the grease well anymore.

Concur 100 percent! The main reason to go to Waffle House is because they are often the only place open very late. I'm not trying to be a food snob--I'm sure I generally left full and satisfied--but I would not call it a "destination" restaurant.

Thanks ArwenMarie :) . Its so important to keep in mind just how truly blessed we all are!

Thank you, chiamarie! May I say you had some spectacular weather waiting for us ::yes:: .

We couldn't help but laugh at the fact that we leave our 19 year old at home for the first time, and have 50 more of them on the plane :rotfl: . It was just to ironic not to be amusing!

Thanks schumi! :thumbsup2 All that sunshine has us pasty Canadians a little burned today, so I've broken out the SPF 100 and we're slathering it on :sunny:.

The Knife? Well, I will wait and fill you in on that in my trip report. Too much to write ... and that's all I'm gonna say about that :rolleyes: (for now, lol!).

Thank you! :goodvibes

Every Waffle house i have ever been to is what you just described. None of them are excatly "fine dining", and are typically meant for those looking for something greasy and artery hardening between the hours of midnight and 4am. I would pass altogether on waffle house, but thats just me. There is a great breakfast place over in the hunters creek area called KeKe's that has a delicious brunch, that place I do HIGHLY recommend!

I am not a fan if Waffle House either. Much better breakfast places than that.

Glad to hear you made it and are enjoying Florida. Hope you got to meet the characters again.

Sounds like a nice couples trip. Haha, I doubt my kids will be in contact as much, though my boy still calls on his way home school. Girl, very rarely.

No loss on the Waffle house :used to be our late night fix after we got off work-Disney college program- for "smothered, covered" hash browns but my stomach doesn't do the grease well anymore. We love Ihop though!

Still planning TGI Friday's later in the week? I have the recipe for the Jack Daniels sauce...my absolute favorite part of this place.

The beach and pool day sounds amazing! Glad the weather is cooperating:)
Happy Character Hunting!

No TGI Friday's this trip....we'll save our free vouchers for October or December's vacation. We thought we'd keep the theme of trying (almost) all new places this time around. Its a good time to do so when we're not travelling with a picky-ish teenager!

Might just stick with Toojays for breakfast then as absolutely love it there and great waffles. If you have never been there, its really is good. Full of locals and a great little deli aswell for takeaway bagels and salads and fantastic cheesecake.

Yeah, I had read about that one....from another Diser here on the boards, I'm pretty sure. Might have to keep that on our radar for October!

So I must have missed it somewhere, but we get a trip report as well?? :cheer2: Go Gina :cheer2:

Just a few mini updates until I get home....then, I'll do a "real" report :) .

Concur 100 percent! The main reason to go to Waffle House is because they are often the only place open very late. I'm not trying to be a food snob--I'm sure I generally left full and satisfied--but I would not call it a "destination" restaurant.

Every Waffle house i have ever been to is what you just described. None of them are excatly "fine dining", and are typically meant for those looking for something greasy and artery hardening between the hours of midnight and 4am. I would pass altogether on waffle house, but thats just me. There is a great breakfast place over in the hunters creek area called KeKe's that has a delicious brunch, that place I do HIGHLY recommend!

I am not a fan if Waffle House either. Much better breakfast places than that.

Glad to hear you made it and are enjoying Florida. Hope you got to meet the characters again.

Sounds like a nice couples trip. Haha, I doubt my kids will be in contact as much, though my boy still calls on his way home school. Girl, very rarely.

Well, with feedback like that (and yesterday's images still fresh in our minds), we have officially scratched Waffle House from our breakfast plans. What will replace it yet? We're not entirely sure....but with the bounty of awesome options here, surely we'll find something that fills the bill.

We had a great day at Universal Studios today. Some of the highlights....we rode Gringotts twice (first time was a walk on, second time with a 15 minute wait!), and it was so awesome. Experienced the Hogwarts Express (super cool). Met lots of characters (Scooby, Shaggy, Sideshow Bob, Krusty the Clown, Bart Simpson, Homer Simpson, Shrek and Donkey, Popeye, Marilyn Monroe, and Betty Boop). Had our pics taken with ET. Steve won me two prizes on the strong man game at Krustyland :love2:. We split a big pink donut. Had lunch at Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard (yes, Steve ate a Clogger burger!) and a fabulous dinner at Finnegans (loved the atmosphere, the live entertainment, the food, and our server was nothing short of fantastic). Weather was once again simply marvelous.

Tomorrow is slated for a full day at Islands of Adventure :goodvibes.

Sounds like you are having a blast Gina. We went late April/early May one year after a bunch of August trips too! And boy the weather difference was nice::yes::!
We're actually just starting to talk about going this time next year. We just bought a new vehicle so I don't think we'll be going any sooner than that.

I'm so glad (and just a little jealous;)) that you are having such a great time!

Ah isn't the weather fabulous when it's not the hot hot hot season.

Glad you're doing a full trip report too, I love your reports!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter