• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Purchasing Magic bands at non Disney store in Orlando

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
Do the souvenir stores around Disney sell magic bands for less than the ones sold on the Disney website? Would these be able to be linked to my Disney account for the parks without issues?

I know you can request the old-fashioned card for room entry at Disney Hotels. Can this card also be used for the rides that are associated with your Genie Lightning Lane purchases made through my Disney Experience ap?

I know you can request the old-fashioned card for room entry at Disney Hotels. Can this card also be used for the rides that are associated with your Genie Lightning Lane purchases made through my Disney Experience ap?
Yes, they call it your Key to the World card because it does almost everything a MB does. The only thing it doesn’t do is link long-distance ride photos - you can use M D E linked to Bluetooth on your phone for that.

Last edited:
Yes, they call it your Key to the World card because it does almost everything a MB does. The only thing it doesn’t do is link long-distance ride photos - you can use M D E linked to Bluetooth on your phone for that.
Thank you, to make sure I am understanding this correctly the card will be linked to my disney experience and will pick up on the lightning lanes I purchase on my phone ap

Well, the only possible souvenir stores around Disney that would sell Magic Bands are those two outlets, on International Drive and Vineland. They would have ones likely no longer sold at Disney (the ones phased out) but still brand new and valid.

But, unless you're already driving from the airport or wherever you are coming from, it's probably not worth the drive/Uber to go there and back, unless you have a really big family.

Sometimes you can get the holiday magic bands on sale on Shop Disney. There is a DIsneyland magic key one for $17 right now. If you’re not picky about the design.

Last edited:
Thank you, to make sure I am understanding this correctly the card will be linked to my disney experience and will pick up on the lightning lanes I purchase on my phone ap
Yes it will. The front desk CM will set it up when you check in. Just tell them and they’ll be sure all is linked to M D E - hotel, tickets, Genie+, etc.

Resort guests can purchase a discounted MB prior to arrival. Some bands are less then ten dollars

Sometimes you can get the holiday magic bands on sale on Shop Disney. There is a DIsneyland magic key one for $17 right now. If you’re not picky about the design.
You have to be a Magic Key holder to buy it, it verifies you are a Key holder when you try to purchase it. Though they do have other designs on sale!

Thank you
are the plus bands worth the additioal cost
I would say only if you need a new one or really like a design. The bounty hunter thing is basically a game of hot and cold and the golden statues are mostly in one place. I thought they would be scattered around throughout the parks. The only upside I guess is that they can be charged so you can still use the long range ability for ride photos.

They are using the plus ones on the cruise ships now. You can use MB+ to open the cabin door, etc

Thank you
are the plus bands worth the additioal cost
I've mentioned this before but I will mention it again:

When I was at Disney World at the end of October, you could not buy the older version of MagicBands in the theme parks. If you wanted to buy in the theme parks, the only thing available was the more expensive MagicBand+. I asked a cast member at the Emporium in the Magic Kingdom and I was told that the theme parks had not been receiving the older version of MagicBands.

I looked for the older version in the gift shops of a few Disney hotels. Nothing in Contemporary. Nothing in Yacht Club. Nothing in Beach Club. A few models in the BoardWalk gift shop, but they were mostly sparkly; a six-year-old might love them but an adult maybe not so much. The Swan had a slightly larger selection.

If you are staying in a Disney hotel and have a U.S. address, you are able to buy ahead through MDE. If you want the older version and you see them, I suggest you get them (although you have to buy for your whole party at one time). If you don't have a U.S. address: there are other Disboards threads on that issue.

Of course it's possible that shops have been restocked with the older version since I was there. But I wouldn't count on it unless people post that they saw them there recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter