Qantas

midway through the flight, after he had asked the hostess for a beer, we hear this almighty bang, he had found the life vest under the seat and pulled the tag, that said "pull here", the thing exploded and inflated .

I think there were a few heart attacks on that flight!!:scared1::rolleyes1

Needless to say there have been many lectures about inflight ettiquite.
I apologise in advance Battymum - that would have been frightening on a flight - but I can't help it - the vision of this story is kinda funny. :rolleyes1 :lmao:

Air New Zealand does not have an upfront charge for selecting seats - yet.
Instead, they have changed the fare conditions of the cheapest seats on their domestic and trans-Tasman flights and removed the ability to pre-select seats.
I am wondering how far ahead is the day when the same will apply to long-haul flights.

We were separated from Brisvegas to Cairns. Even though we checked in together.

What about Cathay Pacific, any good?

Dizzy Cathay are excellent. Right up there with Singapore.

For those anti Qantas peoples, I agree wholeheartedly. I was a very loyal QFF and up at Gold pushing Platinum. Had a flight I needed to do and the V Australia price was too good to pass up and I am so glad I took it.

Their Premium Economy is as good or better than Qantas's Business in every aspect except seat size.

Staff are friendly, flights are good, food was great, heaps of entertainment and check in easy.

Also flying around Oz is so much better as a Velocity member, and not even Gold. In 8 years of 2 flights a month Qantas never offered an earlier flight unless the ticket was a flexi. Virgin have changed me to an earlier flight twice in the last 6 weeks without being asked and even though I am on the cheaper ticket.

Have also heard that Air NZ is very good but not sure I want to transit through Auckland.

IMO Qantas charges a premium price for a less than premium product.

Well I just spent an hour on hold to Qantas, got through in the end, and was told if we want to be together, the only way is to pay.

There was no reassurance that they try to keep families together, we could try our luck on the day, but you will only have what is left, and that was that! :rolleyes1

I am really kicking myself, with all the research and reading I have done, I did not know you could choose your seats unless you were a silver FF member, I definitely looked for this option. I was planning on using on-line check-in as soon as it opened.

Now this gives me another dilemma, which seats. The furthest row forward is 65 which is right behind the row with bassinets, (will a baby sleep for 15hrs!)

Ugh, that SUCKS. Honestly, the customer service (or lack of) out of Qantas just floors me every time.

Behind the bassinets? Honestly, you might be behind babies, but you could also end up with a child (or inconsiderate adult) sitting behind you who kicks the back of your chair constantly, and keeps you awake no matter how quiet things are... Call me Miss Pessimistic, but nothing will make that trip enjoyable! So find some seats wherever, where you are all together, and book them - at least you can share your misery with each other :confused3

Such a bummer because I know you booked your QF tickets about the same time mine QF ones were issued and I could pre-seat us for free at that time :sad2:

Sorry you did not get the result you wanted. Qantas service is really going downhill.

I was able to do our Air NZ seat selection today. Coming home on the Auckland-Brisbane flight, there were less that 20 seats available. I could not get 5 of us across one row, but was lucky to get 3 in one row, and 2 behind.

My baby did not sleep for much of the 15 hours, but he was really well behaved, especially compared to some of the other children on board. Now that he is 2, I am unsure that I even want to take him on a plane!!

Thats why I was so reluctant to pay, nothing really appeals, - actually being seated alone away from my family might be a good way to get a peaceful flight.:rotfl2:

Jade, I hope I didnt offend you with the baby comment, sorry!
I know annoying passengers come in all shapes, sizes, age groups and genders - God I hope I am not one of them!

There really is nothing good about long haul flying except the destination is there.

No offence taken! I would rather sit near a baby than my 2 year old. I pity the poor person that gets stuck near us. I have just worked out that we will be flying for about 45 hours. I do not want to take this child on a plane!

No offence taken! I would rather sit near a baby than my 2 year old. I pity the poor person that gets stuck near us. I have just worked out that we will be flying for about 45 hours. I do not want to take this child on a plane!

I hear ya Jade! My 2yo is the main reason I can deal with no Disney trip for the next few years (and the 4yo and 3 month old wouldn't be fun either) ... Taking him to Japan at 16 months was enough of an ordeal and he's gotten louder and more boisterous since! Any time I think "I would love to go to Disney" I offset it by thinking of what 14hours+ each way on a flight with him would be like :lol:

I'm not at all happy about Qantas bringing in this charge :( Does anybody know how it will affect bookings that will be made with FF points? I assume you will have to cough up the cash or the equivalent in points to reserve the seats. As much as I'd love to see some stranger lumped with my three kids it'd be distressing for all involved. Maybe we'd all end up together after a few minutes anyway... :rotfl:

We are off to Disneyworld in September flying Qantas (on points). I'm a bronze frequent flyer (no status other than being a frequent flyer member) and I've been able to choose our seats online by logging onto the Qantas website. It's only a fairly new option, been out for about a month or two. So you should be able to log on now and have a look. I think the only reason to pay extra for seating selections if you want to choose an exit row.

Karen

Whoops, I've just had a thought - we are booked in to Premium Economy so that may be why we were able to select our seats already :)

Karen

We are off to Disneyworld in September flying Qantas (on points). I'm a bronze frequent flyer (no status other than being a frequent flyer member) and I've been able to choose our seats online by logging onto the Qantas website. It's only a fairly new option, been out for about a month or two. So you should be able to log on now and have a look. I think the only reason to pay extra for seating selections if you want to choose an exit row.

Karen

We're in the same position, all Bronze (but DH and I have Qantas Club) we still had to pay the $20 per seat.

Whoops, I've just had a thought - we are booked in to Premium Economy so that may be why we were able to select our seats already :)

Karen

yep :thumbsup2 first, business, PE and Economy Platnium and Gold FFs do not have to pay the charge

Hi battymum, we are leaving on September 16th too! I hope that you can get this pain in the neck sorted out and get back to the excitement of planning the fun stuff. Your story about your son is crazy - it makes me relieved that he and my 13 year old son will be on different flights that day - we could have closed our eyes for a nap and woken up to a new pilot and co-pilot! :scared1:

Hi battymum, we are leaving on September 16th too! I hope that you can get this pain in the neck sorted out and get back to the excitement of planning the fun stuff. Your story about your son is crazy - it makes me relieved that he and my 13 year old son will be on different flights that day - we could have closed our eyes for a nap and woken up to a new pilot and co-pilot! :scared1:

WOW, are the two of you on the same flight?!!

I dont think we are on the same flight - are we

Yes, my son is a little crazy, but his enthusiasm is inspiring, and its a rare thing in teenage boys so we cherish it. :lovestruc

No, we are flying VAustralia, and then United through to New York. We got a great deal on Premium Economy - which we are going to LOVE considering that I am 5'11" and the second shortest in the family!

DD will be 7 when we leave and she is already the tallest Year 1 student at school. Then there is DH who is 6'3" and DS13 who when I looked at him today was 6'1" - but who knows by tomorrow - let alone September!! He's always hungry - thank goodness for free dining!!! :rotfl:

WOW, I have twin DS13's they are only 150cm and weigh less than 40kg, still wear childrens size 5 shoes.

I am grateful for free dining, so I dont have to pay as adults for them and watch them eat like birds.

We are waiting for a growth spurt!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter