Qantas

I rang the other day to complain about the retrospective nature of the fee imposed for seat bookings- we had booked our seats before the change but had not go0t around to choosing specific seats. I also wanted to ask it I could be guaranteed that my 9 year old daugher and 75 year old mother would be seated next to me. The girl I spoke to was unbelievable!! She said that I only had 2 options- pay the $20 per leg- which for us would come to $240. or risk sitting separately. When I continued to raise concerns that my 9 year odl could potentially be seated next to 2 strangers she told me that the other option was to cancel my flight and asked me a few times if I wanted to cancel. If I hadn't got such a great deal I would have. When I asked her name she refused to give it to me and then hung up on me!! Customer service- I think not. We have not flown Qantas for years and now I know why!!

Thats just it, if people are paying to choose seats, then naturally those that dont pay will obviously only be able to choose from what is left,.... more than likely single middle seats.:eek:

You can take the gamble that few will pay, and it will be first in best dressed, as it should be.

I would not have even known about the option, if it werent for the fact that I looked up our booking for no particular reason.

Heavens, size 5 shoes! I can't even remember back then! I am looking at my son's soccer boots right now and they are a mens 11! Feeding and clothing this kid is going to send us broke!

I have watched my little boy grow past me in the last 6 months, he looks like he is 16! He is also hollow because he eats for NSW, but is still so skinny, we went through 3 different sizes of cricket pants this past season....all because he grew and grew, meanwhile the drawstring on the pants kept being pulled tighter and tighter!

So get ready Old Navy and Foot Locker - we plan to hit you both hard! :rotfl:

I have a quick question for those of you who have flown Qantas recently...

How is the legroom and how comfortable are their seats? I have never flown longer than 3 hours so I am really not looking forward to such a long flight and sitting in one place for a long amount of time lol I’m a fairly tall girl 5’7 so I wanted to see how the legroom is...

Also is it pretty easy to walk up and down the aisles if you need to? I have an aisle seat reserved for that purpose so I can get up and stretch my legs during the flight...

Gippaloo, as far as legroom goes, if they are flying the A380s again there is none and the seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced! I'm 6ft and had to sit with my knees either side of the seat in front, the older planes are much better for legroom. When I flew qantas in Jan I paid extra for an exit row- so worth it for me! Having an aisle seat too is a good idea, you might find yourself doing laps of the plane!

I flew Qantas to HK in May (10hrs) and paid the extra 20 bucks each way and thought it was worth it. Flew in 747 and chose row 70 next to the window, if I recall. Due to the shape of the plane at the back, there was heaps of room around me and I also felt like the seat was actually a little wider (or it was my imagination).

I think flying on you're own it's worthwhile, but with a family it may not be worth it.

:headache: Qantas what can i say changed our seats for our return flight that we booked at the time of booking in January the only explanation they have given our travel agent is that they reserve the right to change seats at anytime. He even rebooked them and they took us back out of them:mad:

The only consolation is they have still put us in 3 rows with 3 window seats, with no one in the middle i hope that they keep that middle seat free.
We had booked 3 rows of 2 which we still have for the flight there:confused: I am going to go out on limb and say maybe it has something to do with the fuel on the way back!
Lets just say i am very glad we were not charged $20 a seat or i would be even more :furious:

So are you gambling on the middle seat being left free -
I was going to do that, but knowing my luck, I would end up with a really obnoxious person in the middle that wouldnt move. :rotfl:

I bit the bullet and paid for our seats the other day - I have to be happy that I only paid $1250 for the flights - so adding another $40 to each ticket still makes it a cheap fare.

We tried the "leaving the middle seat free" trick. It worked on the way over but on the way back a really nice lady was there and she was happy to sit by the window. We gave her the choice.

We've paid extra to reserve seats for the next trip. There's seven of us. :(

Qantas have booked our seats with the middle seat free after they took us out of the 3 rows of 2 twice so us and the travel agent are assuming they wont put anyone in them the plane does not fly back at full capacity anyway. Otherwise you would think when they changed our seats they would of just put us in 2 rows of 3:confused3
Even if you have paid for booked seats which we didn't have to do at the time of booking they introduced that later they can move your seat if they choose.

:goodvibesI guess we will have to play it by ear but if that happens we will just move all six of us into 2 rows.

This is number 9 in the terms and conditions of carriage
"Qantas does not guarantee you any particular seat even if your reservation is confirmed."

:mad::sad2::headache: Just need to vent so here goes! We are ticketed to fly Wellington-Auckland -L.A. - Dallas - Orlando. The reason we are not on L.A. to Orlando direct is because, at the time of ticketing, the direct AA flight left 5 minutes too early to connect legally with the international arrival.

However, I just looked today and now the flights do connect legally so I thought YIPEE, we can change to the direct flight and arrive into Orlando at 4.30 pm instead of 8.30 pm. :cheer2:

I knew there would be some change fees involved but never expected to find out how much they actually are!! :sad2:

So, as two of our tickets are frequent flyer ones, I called QF Frequent flyer first. I knew I'd need to spend 3500 points per person to make the change (luckily we have just over 7000 points left!!). Then, apparently because I cannot make this change online, I have to pay $80 per person service fee. Disappointing but still worth it I thought. However, I was so annoyed when I was told that I also had to pay an increase in taxes (increased fuel surcharge) so, just to change the two tickets it would be 7000 points plus $486 :scared1:

So, I now suppose that to change our 3 revenue tickets, I will have a similar increase in taxes plus service fees and therefore, for all five of us to go on the direct flight, will cost 7000 points plus over $1200 in fees and taxes!!! No way can I afford that extra cost so we will have to keep on with our existing booking via Dallas but I am so angry at yet again so greedy Qantas!! :headache::mad::sad2:

:mad::sad2::headache: Just need to vent so here goes! We are ticketed to fly Wellington-Auckland -L.A. - Dallas - Orlando. The reason we are not on L.A. to Orlando direct is because, at the time of ticketing, the direct AA flight left 5 minutes too early to connect legally with the international arrival.

However, I just looked today and now the flights do connect legally so I thought YIPEE, we can change to the direct flight and arrive into Orlando at 4.30 pm instead of 8.30 pm. :cheer2:

I knew there would be some change fees involved but never expected to find out how much they actually are!! :sad2:

So, as two of our tickets are frequent flyer ones, I called QF Frequent flyer first. I knew I'd need to spend 3500 points per person to make the change (luckily we have just over 7000 points left!!). Then, apparently because I cannot make this change online, I have to pay $80 per person service fee. Disappointing but still worth it I thought. However, I was so annoyed when I was told that I also had to pay an increase in taxes (increased fuel surcharge) so, just to change the two tickets it would be 7000 points plus $486 :scared1:

So, I now suppose that to change our 3 revenue tickets, I will have a similar increase in taxes plus service fees and therefore, for all five of us to go on the direct flight, will cost 7000 points plus over $1200 in fees and taxes!!! No way can I afford that extra cost so we will have to keep on with our existing booking via Dallas but I am so angry at yet again so greedy Qantas!! :headache::mad::sad2:

:hug:

Totally get it. I've had almost the same conversation recently - though this one may work for you instead.

They have now put a connection via Dallas, rather than 3 hours in Dallas there is also a 1 1/2 hour connection which is being advertised. Rang Qantas to see if we could change and would be looking at around $1500 for the 5 of us. Just not worth it - we wouldn't be doing anything once we get to Orlando that night anyway and we would need to rush through the airport, but just to be able to get there earlier would of been cool.

2nd I can't believe it Qantas story - My friend came back from Dallas today. He said, via tiredness on Facebook, that he had a separate boarding pass for the BNE SYD leg and had to re-do security in BNE :scared1: Customs was Sydney. I'm hoping this was a special case but somehow think not. I'lll have some more info tomorrow when he is a little less tired and can talk rather than FB.

hey

havent flown qantas since 2003, horrible experience so didnt go back.....fast forward to feb 2012...i have just booked 2 tickets syd-honolulu economy..really great prices, but nearly fell over when they wanted $320 per person for exit row seats......chatted to DH and ....:mad:we paid it.....i cant believe i paid $640 for exit row.......i feel like I've just been mugged:confused3

i know the flight was cheap, but really????

it was still cheaper than anz & hawaiian.......and there is no way on this earth i would fly jet star......

once again qantas gouge its passenger base....hope we enjoy this flight as its the last time i'm stepping on the flying kangaroo.....

Yep and rumour has it that, in the big annoucement at the end of August, they will annouce that they are pulling out of Sydney to Honolulu plus Auckland to L.A. and give it to Jetstar :scared1: :eek:

Yep and rumour has it that, in the big annoucement at the end of August, they will annouce that they are pulling out of Sydney to Honolulu plus Auckland to L.A. and give it to Jetstar :scared1: :eek:

RANT>>>>>>>>>>
So here's my story of angst re Qantas the flying pain in the b**t.

Rang Qantas, first mistake, 22 minutes on hold, asked re flights to hawaii possibly changing to Jetstar as I'm not paying Qantas prices for Jetstar/deathstar flights....the chick was rude, offhanded and totally useless.:mad:

So wasted 22 minutes, a few hundred brain cells and a bucket of angst.Seriously, are they trying to go out of business??? :headache:
I have rung numerous USA carriers who are helpful, polite and forthcoming with info.
seriously, why do we fly with these people.......

Rant over while I go stew in a corner..

OMG..just had horrible thought...my DH will throw a tantrum on the jetway to the plane if he sees it's a deathstar .....and you thought 2 yr old tantrums are bad.........well this day just keeps getting better and better...roll on the weekend

I just want to get that big announcement over and done with - the speculation is very stressing but often I worry that it is true because someone on the inside has leaked to the press. I too will spit tacks if we are flying between Auckland and LAX on Jetstar! :headache:

I think it is so sad because Qantas is the Australian national carrier and it should therefore be one that the Australian public are proud of and keen to support. I don't always fly Air NZ because they are quite expensive but I am certainly proud of the airline that represents our country and keen for them to do well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter