Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Good morning everyone. Another beautiful 75 degree sunny day here, after a cool 54 degree morning. Stepson is over the moon today, as his new car arrived yesterday and he was driving it home last nite!
:car:
@lovemygoofy Tina I have to admire your outlook on almost everything. I love that you take your health news as 'good news', and I hope it stays that way, and that you don't have to go through the other 'not so good' down the road anytime sooon. Sorry to hear about your Mom, but again I admire you, even if you were in the middle of Costco shopping, and had to step to the side to talk her down over the lion once again. You are such a good/caring daughter. And you are right,,this thread was started just about March 16, so it would be a 6 month anniversary, and I thank you for starting it for all of us. It's not always upbeat and happy, but a lot of us get stuff off our minds and shoulders by sharing it with the rest of the DIS family on this thread. It's brought a lot of us closer to each other. :grouphug:

@apirateslifeforme How awful that sounds about Josh and all the changes. They need to make up their minds quickly about how it's going to work and stick to it. If it's confusing to the parents, it has to be even more confusing for the kids :( Hang in there, and hopefully they will get it worked out within a couple of weeks, it's all pretty new to teachers to have to educate this way too, at least I imagine it is. And you really made me laugh with the '2020 can bite the big one'..you got that SO right!:thumbsup2

@Breezy_Carol defrosting our chest freezer is another chore I have to get to soon. But one big chore at a time, lol :eek:

@easyas123 I am going to blame you for this one---lol I went downstairs right after your post about it, to look through seasonal clothes totes, just to dig out a pair of warmer pjs for this weekend. Ended up down there for 3 hours,lol. Went through all the clothes totes, which are stored next to some of my seasonal decorations (all but Xmas, those are on the other side of the cellar. I had taken them out for Valentines Day, St Patty's Day, Easter, Spring etc, and never put them away, so went through all of those and tossed old stuff. Put them all away where they belonged. Then went thru the totes of Xmas bags, birthday bags, tissue paper, bows, etc, and sorted and straightened everything out. Got the shop vac out and vacuumed behind everything and put it all back nice and neat. While I got a lot accomplished, it wasn't intended. I hate it when I go to do one thing, and start at least one or more projects while trying to do the first one, lol. But that got crossed off my winter to do list anyhow. :laundy: =chores!

Also called my wood guy this morning , his wife said he was out putting up a metal roof (he's a jack of all trades, and he only charges fair prices. There used to be a home improvment place across the street, they gave us a quote of $12000 for a new metal roof. My wood guy gave us one using the exact same materials, including labor, for $4000. Now which one do you think we should go with? LOL! )

She said would give him the message and have him call me. I told her I wanted to order wood, he has 2 trees to cut down for us, and I have a list of about 10 other things he has to do for us before winter. She has a habit of 'forgetting' to give him messages, so I bet I have to call him again , or call his cell phone, to get hold of him. She's even gone as far as to turn the house phone off, so noone can get hold of him..geez. He only knew after I tried for 3 days to get him and couldn't. I happened to be on a yard sale site, and saw a post from his son, telling someone to call his Dad, and it had his cell phone #. So I called that and asked what was going on. He then looked around the house, and found out the phone had been turned off for almost a week. He wondered why noone had called to order wood or have anything done, lol. Maybe that's why she's always so cool to me when I call there, lol!

When I have to order wood, I know fall is really on it's way. And we still have a few days left before the 'official' beginning of it. So I hope everyone has a lovely day, enjoy the last few days of Summer, while it's still Summer! :sunny:

I can't believe we've been at this for 6 months already - without a sign that it's ending.

My FB memories this morning popped up the photos I took one year ago today at the Big E. So sad that it was canceled this year. We were looking forward to a Billie's Special baked potato...fried cheddar cheese bites...chicken, bacon, and cheese Chompers...flavored frozen hot chocolate (Josh got a pumpkin one last year that was REALLY good!)...fried Oreos...smoked salmon stick...the HUGE Pez booth at the CT building...Josh enjoys seeing the huge horses and baby goats at the farm building...

So I think I mentioned that there's a little boy on Josh's soccer team who had been in his preschool class at the beginning of last year, but he was a troublemaker and was eventually asked to leave. After last week's practice and game, I had thought that the hatchet was buried and that the boys could at least tolerate each other, for only 2 hours per week. Well...at last night's practice, during one drill, they were asked to form a line. Josh got into the line first, and then the other boy pushed his way in front of Josh. To his credit, Josh tapped him on the shoulder and said something, to which the other boy said, "It doesn't matter." I don't know what Josh said to him next, but the boy turned around and punched Josh's ball out of his hands, then kicked it away. Josh retrieved his ball and went back into line - the boy behind him very nicely let him back in - and then the first boy punched it out of his hands again and kicked it into the next field. Josh just stood there like, what do I do now? The boy's father just sat there playing with his phone. After the boy punched the ball the second time, the father said the kid's name in "that tone," but when he kicked the ball, Dad just sat there and went back to his phone. My mother finally got up and retrieved the ball, and I think she said something to the kid. After practice was over, while we were putting our chairs away, the other boy did come up to Josh and apologize (I'm sure Dad made him do it). I'm glad that Josh said something in the first place, to stick up for himself, and that when the boy got physical Josh didn't retaliate - or at least he tried to talk it out instead of using his fists. I was bullied mercilessly throughout school, though, and it hurts to see my own child being bullied now. He's significantly smaller than this other kid, too - smaller than most kids in general - and I hope he won't continue being a target. He's genuinely a sweet kid, with a good heart - and that's not just me as mom talking; many people have commented on his good nature. But I guess this is also a good learning experience, that sometimes people just don't like you, for whatever reason...

Still a bit frustrated with the distance learning today as well. His teacher keeps commenting (on the live meetings) that "You have *special* class coming up," but the specials teachers don't seem to have live meetings for those classes. I'm confused. I've looked all over Teams to see if they have scheduled a meeting but don't see any. The art teacher sent another assignment this morning and I'm sorry, but what she expects of kindergarten students is WAY beyond their ability. Last week she wanted a "cave drawing" that tells a story - crumple the paper (to look like a cave wall), draw a big animal with small animals around it, trace your hand, but make sure it tells a story. Josh used his crayons to draw an elephant in the grassland, drinking water near a tree with the hot sun in the sky. Now she wants "name art" which involves drawing their name in block letters, making patterns inside the letters, outlining the letters, and then making another colored pattern in the background. Josh of course doesn't understand exactly what she wants and just drew his name in thick red marker, then drew "cheetah spots" in black around it. It's not even close to her example - but it's what a 5-year-old is capable of drawing. She's also attempting to teach them art history...like last week there was a write-up discussing cave painting, now we've got examples of ancient writing like cuneiform and hieroglyphs. I love art history and Josh already has pretty good knowledge of different art styles and artists (like he can identify a daVinci and a Van Gogh), but he's not interested in learning it this way. I find I look forward to the school day being over now. This just isn't enjoyable.

He has his first gymnastics session of the season tonight, too. I think he's looking forward to that!

QOTD: what song on the radio , is your happy song and makes you smile ?
Cheesy and totally obvious, but how can anyone NOT be happy when listening to Happy by Pharrell? :teeth:
I always smile when I hear (Reach Up for the) Sunrise by Duran Duran.
Lovesong by The Cure - our wedding first dance song.
Thunderstruck by AC/DC - Josh was born to it!
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith - I sing this to Josh a lot, it always makes me think of him.

Years ago, when my now-ex DH moved out and we were getting divorced, Strong Enough by Cher and I'm Still Standing by Elton John always made me smile.

Good morning, good morning to you and you and you ( insert names)🎶
Was that song from an elementary school teacher or a show on tv , I can’t remember.
Fall food - apple cider, pumpkin min donuts, beef stew,
Game show - supermarket sweep. Or the old let’s make a deal with the crazy costumes

happy ....I feel happy. Song seems obvious. I’ll have to think of some others.
80s. Different upbeat Whitney Houston songs, childhood . A little country Faith Hill. “ this kiss”. Today..some silly song on radio Disney about eating soup and a soda on the side
Romper Room!

QOTD: Basically everything on my Spotify playlists. I have different ones - Favorites, Albums, Dance, Disney (which DS set up but he shared with me), Cruise, etc. If it’s on there, I love it!

@apirateslifeforme --

My FB memories this morning popped up the photos I took one year ago today at the Big E. So sad that it was canceled this year. We were looking forward to a Billie's Special baked potato...fried cheddar cheese bites...chicken, bacon, and cheese Chompers...flavored frozen hot chocolate (Josh got a pumpkin one last year that was REALLY good!)...fried Oreos...smoked salmon stick...the HUGE Pez booth at the CT building...Josh enjoys seeing the huge horses and baby goats at the farm building...

Wow..did that part of your post bring back memories!!! Until I moved to MD, we used to go to the Big E every year. It was one time of year I always looked forward to. Sad that it was canceled, maybe next year it will be back, in some form. All the foods they had there were so good. I always looked forward to the exhibition bldgs, had to see what they made out of 'butter' every year,, do they still do that? (haven't lived in MA for 20 years). Loved looking at all the animals, shopping at some of the crafts booths..etc..thanks for the flashback to 'yesterdays' for me!!

Cheesy and totally obvious, but how can anyone NOT be happy when listening to Happy by Pharrell? :teeth:
That's the one song that always makes me smile, and want to dance!

@Kirby , I totally understand your emotions. It is so hard with a parent in a facility. We just went through that. Is she on the first floor? Can you visit at the window? And the facility where MIL was is offering in person visits in a special room with a plexiglass barrier set up. Hopefully your mom's facility will be able to do something like that soon as well.
The facility she is in is all first floor which is nice. She's currently in quarantine in an inside room that faces the courtyard and a lovely fountain that she's tickled pink to see. Hopefully some birds will make a visit, she loves to watch them. She's on the list for an outside room once one is available and she is off her 14 day quarantine. We can set up a time to face time her which is nice. I'm feeling much better emotionally.

Anything that has a great beat that I could dance to, cute lyrics that make me laugh.

I stopped by Wal Mart this morning after I dropped off the grandkids at daycare to pick up a clothes hamper with a lid for my mom. At check out I realized that I did not have a mask on. The store that early in the morning was pretty vacant but not one employee stopped and asked why I wasn't wearing a mask. This is the first time I have forgot.

Hugs, Kirby. I'm glad to read you are feeling better, my friend. Continued prayers to you and your mom. I absolutely pray for normal times ahead when no one gives second thought (or needs to) to masks ever again!

Apirateslifeforme, it is both hard and not to realize it's been 6 months. I say "not" because again (to me, at times) this time does feel endless, timeless, and as though we've been in it forever. I thank you and everyone else here with all my heart for still being here with care, faith, and love for all! Truly God Bless You all, my friends. Back to soccer and Josh. Good for Josh! Prayers the other boy settles down! I am so sorry about the school mess! It really does sound WAY too complicated and also (cave drawings) not very young kid centered :( Prayers that gets a ton better soon for all!

To all, a Good Morning! It's Thursday already yet honestly could be any day! As I have told my elderly friend Shirley, right now sometimes not much new is such a Blessing! I give all thanks to God each day for each day, health, life, and extra time in health for dad and I together, to serve and come here together to check in with each of you :)

Fun QOTD, Sparkle!

I always smile to hear Still the One by Faith Hill. I'm romantic at heart all the way :)

Traditional Christmas music is my favorite! I get goosebumps and a heart full of awe and thanks to think about and hear, O Holy Night. I also love When Love Was Born. Several years ago the children on Christmas Eve sang a song I had never heard before called "I'll Give Him My Heart." I melted! I would love to hear children sing this again post plague!

Last edited:
Uptown Funk, I love that song. Had to make sure DS had it at his wedding. And an off the wall one, Low Rider by War.

* Admittedly I mostly listed to talk radio in the car, and almost always at the office unless there is a football or baseball game on (my channel of choice is a AM "flagship" channel that broadcasts the Baltimore area sports teams when they play) but sometimes I switch over to music.
WBAL? I used to listen to talk on that channel until we don't really get it clearly up here.

@lovemygoofy Tina I have to admire your outlook on almost everything. I love that you take your health news as 'good news', and I hope it stays that way, and that you don't have to go through the other 'not so good' down the road anytime sooon. Sorry to hear about your Mom, but again I admire you, even if you were in the middle of Costco shopping, and had to step to the side to talk her down over the lion once again. You are such a good/caring daughter. And you are right,,this thread was started just about March 16, so it would be a 6 month anniversary, and I thank you for starting it for all of us. It's not always upbeat and happy, but a lot of us get stuff off our minds and shoulders by sharing it with the rest of the DIS family on this thread. It's brought a lot of us closer to each other. :grouphug:

I hate it when I go to do one thing, and start at least one or more projects while trying to do the first one, lol.
@lynxstch I totally agree with your thoughts about Tina. And I also start one chore, then another, then another, before finishing any.

I stopped by Wal Mart this morning after I dropped off the grandkids at daycare to pick up a clothes hamper with a lid for my mom. At check out I realized that I did not have a mask on. The store that early in the morning was pretty vacant but not one employee stopped and asked why I wasn't wearing a mask. This is the first time I have forgot.
@Kirby , glad you are feeling better. And too bad we aren't closer, we just got rid of MIL's clothes hamper with a lid. And your mask story made me think of when I went to the grocery store a few weeks ago. I turned a corner with my cart and came near another woman my age. She did not have a mask. I blurted out "you don't have a mask." I didn't really mean to say anything but she surprised me and it just came out. She was surprised and said she had forgotten and immediately pulled one out of her bag and donned it then said that she had passed several employees and no one mentioned it.

WBAL? I used to listen to talk on that channel until we don't really get it clearly up here.

Yup.

So my brother was bringing a boat up the ICW last week and stopped at a hole in the wall marina somewhere - North Carolina I think - and saw these. He brought two back for me to give to the eldest, who has a stomach lined with steel and will eat anything, bonus points if it's been on a roller or under a heating lamp in a gas station for 2 days. Plus he really likes ranch. I'm both grossed out and fascinated - but the grossed out is winning, and now I hesitate to give it to him in fear that I'll have to watch him drink it! Yuck!

soda (2).jpg

I basically like upbeat country music, not the she or he broke my heart and I need a drink kind but the happy I'm in love or I love life kind of songs. Those can put me in a good mood usually.

Wow, 6 months already. The time has flown by. It has been really nice and peaceful here on this thread.

@apirateslifeforme Boy, the school isn't making it easy for you. You would think they could understand the situation for parents and their kids and maybe coordinate home work. It sounds like they really don't have it all together yet. I hope it gets better for you and Josh.

@lovemygoofy You have such a good attitude and outlook about your health. You have a treatment and a plan for the future. That is the way to go. Sorry to hear about your mom. It is so tough these days. I hope things continue to improve for her.

Oldest DGD started virtual kindergarten yesterday. She did get to go to the school to meet the teacher and pick up a work packet. I still think she should be in the hybrid program as she is so social and has been a bit down without her friends but DS and DDIL are in charge and make those decisions. I believe they can change their mind if a space opens up in the class room. Oldest DGS started outside preschool on Monday. He does enjoy being with other kids so I am sure he is having a good time.

Happy Friday Eve!

Let us know please should you and your DH ever choose to get on America Says, PollyannaMom :) Is that show similar to Family Feud?

A bit - Like FF, one team goes at a time, and then the other gets to guess if there were any not found. The questions seem more G-ratedand the bonus round is a slightly different format than the regular rounds. - The whole team plays, and you have to get the top answer for the first question, top two for the second, and so on.

OMG, I've had it with distance learning already! The "specials" teachers keep sending assignments...Josh does one and three more pop up!

I’m feeling the same way! Maybe it’s just a day 4 thing, but I was feeling soooo frustrated and overwhelmed today. The twins I’m working with are doing a virtual curriculum, and (IMO) it’s inappropriate on both “ends” - the content is far too easy for them, but the amount of time it expects them to be on a computer is too long for their age. By the end of today, I was wishing that the school had just given me a set of sample tests, said see that they can passs these by x date, and let me come up with my own activities.

By the way happy 6 month anniversary to us!
Happy Anniversary, and a special thanks to YOU for getting this whole shebang off the ground...and for the reason to use 'shebang' in a conversation:duck:

Wow, six months!! Happy anniversary everyone, and I second the thanks to our founder!

I basically like upbeat country music, not the she or he broke my heart and I need a drink kind but the happy I'm in love or I love life kind of songs. Those can put me in a good mood usually.

Same thing - I listen to a country station in the car, and the first one I thought of was “Chicken Fried.”

(Somewhere, I actually have a “Country Moods” playlist I started writing down - a section of good cry songs, a section for lifting the spirits, singing along, etc.)

Outside of country, I also agree with Pharrell’s “Happy” that others mentioned!

This question also reminded me that I used to play “Come On, Get Happy” from the Partridge Family to get DS to cheer up. 🙂

It’s fun to have a change, but I get your point I want to say she is probably only 12-14 years old , but yeah does make her look 18. Hang in there my cousin had blue hair and rebellious side, now lives in Canada with a nontraditional outdoorsy job, but provides for his wife and kiddos

Thanks for all the great songs

I think that hair makes her look at least 18 but, from what you said, I guess she is a lot younger.

@easyas123, the former youth pastor at our church, who was about 40-45 at the time, used to challenge the kids to do something. If they achieved it she died her hair the color they chose. So yes, our pastor was in the pulpit with blue or purple hair.

Both you and @Pea-n-Me are exactly right..she's 12 ! I asked if she was trying to look 18 or 21, sheesh..between the hair and the makeup, she looks way too old to me!
She looks older than 12 for sure. Her hair is very pretty.

QOTD-happy radio music
I have a few artists that I'll turn up the volume for. I like most of their songs.
Bon Jovi
Mavis Staples
Vince Gill
Alison Krauss
Allan Jackson

I'm probably stuck in a time warp, but it works for me. Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter