Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I have been thinking, and I want to add another new Question Of The Day: What are your favorite Fall Meals that you can't wait to prepare? If you are like me, there is food you stop making for 4-6 months as it is just too warm and they are too heavy to enjoy. As the weathers are dropping, I have been looking forward to pulling these out again.

oooh, great question!

I miss roasted veggies as well! Also, baked mac ‘n cheese, and the pea casserole DH loves.

Question Of The Day: What are your favorite Fall Meals that you can't wait to prepare?

hmmm:ssst: lets see....turtle soup and chili come up this time of year as requested meals, and I think I generally seem to skew towards heavier or heartier type meals when it's colder outside. I am a soup eater no matter how hot it is outside, but I generally spend more time making home made soups and stews when it's cooler out. One thing I do in the fall is make up my yearly pile of caramelized onions, it's a several hour process, but I enjoy it. I like to do this on a nice day when I can have the windows open and airing out the house as it is a smell that seems permeate the air. And of course, while not exactly a meal, Gluehwein/mulled wine and hot buttered rum/rum & cider are common drinks when it's chilly out or we are outside at one of the fire pits!

And now I want some homemade stuffing.

Question Of The Day: What are your favorite Fall Meals that you can't wait to prepare?

Timely question, as I just made one of our favorites last nite--meatloaf and baked potatoes
Hubby loves chili, I don't like beans so I pass on that one. I love stuffed cabbage rolls, porcupine meatballs, pot roasts, beef stew, chicken soup. Anything apple is good this time of year. Hubby also loves mac and cheese (not one of my favorites either, would rather used the boxed kind, lol). Whole roasted chicken is so good, I make the chicken soup with the bones and leftovers from it. Its about time to make a couple of big pans of lasagna and freeze some for easy dinners. Also time to make and freeze zucchini bread, and I want to try the blueberry lemon zucchini one my sister in law made. I got 2 beautiful acorn squash last weekend..just trying to decide what I want to make along with them, lol

I have to ask @easyas123 --what the heck is turtle soup? Not literally made with turtle (I hope)? lol!--I love homemade stuffing too, but usually only make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Might have to switch it up and make some with a turkey (have 2 in the chest freezer) this weekend. Will depend on the weather.

It's another fall like day. Temp is 66, sunny, breezy, just finished mowing the entire lawn and weedwacking. That should hold for another 5 days, I hope! Have a happy, peaceful afternoon all.

Last edited:
what the heck is turtle soup? Not literally made with turtle (I hope)?

Oh! Very much so! You'll see it on the menu of a few restaurants around here every once in a while-if you find a place that has muskrat, them may very well have turtle soup- we even have a "guy" in the area that sells turtle meat, although my husband traps, cleans and butchers his own turtles.

I make it once or twice a year, and it freezes very well. My SIL's grandfather lives up in LaVale and I send him some once a year as well!

He has these big turtle traps that he puts in the creek behind our farm. I think our county even has mandated turtle trapping seasons. I participate in none of this! I only cook the soup!

This is one of the two recipes (they are very similar, other one is a old one from Bookbinders in Philly) I usually use:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/turtle-stew-recipe-1918826
#1 - Turtle soup isn't my thing, but kids & husband like it and I don't mind making it, it's a late fall and/or holiday staple for us. But I don't eat it.
#2 - Hell no, I don't eat muskrat either.
#3 - Turtle in this case = snapping turtle, not terrapin or other endangered turtles
#4 - yeah, they have "mock turtle stew" made with beef...but well - why not call that beef stew?
#5 - What??? We can't be the only people who knows a "turtle meat guy"?
#6 - Seriously, no way would I eat muskrat.

You know.....there are really no fall meals for me. I do what I want all year, not matter the season.

Very busy here with the family staying. Doing more than I planned to during the day. I thought I could just sit in my room and read, computer time, scrap book and plan a trip.
Got the trip planned.....that's it so far.

I am looking forward to making chili, chicken enchilada soup, pot roast, and beef stew. I make those from Fall through early Spring.

DH found some paper towels at Market Basket while shopping this morning. They limit customers so that is good. We are also ordering microfiber cloths for general cleaning while the paper towels will be mainly for doggie mishaps and other random "dirty" cleaning. There weren't any strawberries today which is odd. I am not sure why different items are out of stock each week. Clorox toilet wands are out of stock just about everywhere. I will have to keep looking.

@easyas123 I hope your mother is doing better

@apirateslifeforme Your son looks really nice in the soccer uniform. I hope he has fun this season. My older DS loved soccer, younger DS not so much even though he played it for 3 years. It sounds like you are getting into the school routine.

Today is cool with the temp around 65. It was 45 this morning. Love it! Tomorrow it will be warming up to the 70's but back into the 60's by Friday. One day next week is forecast for 58. Yay!

:) Thanks, Lynxstch!

Extra QOTD (To bring our thread back up): Would you like to be (have you ever been) on a Game Show?

I thought of this QOTD lol due to all the Game shows I've been watching during this plague and know some of you are enjoying them as well. I hope this is fun to think about :) One day post plague, Dad and I might try more time (in MUCH cooler weather than many years ago) to be called on down for the Price is Right. I am not sure we'd ever get on because I know they seem to prescreen people and probably want more animated folks. I'm quiet :)

What about each of you? :)

Last edited:
It was in the 50s when I got up this morning, which was a surprise. I even broke out the jeans today, and they still fit. Nice fall weather but I prefer the summer.

PT, grocery shopping, and taco salad for dinner. DH and his sister went to the lawyer today about their mom's will. Then she and her husband came back here for a while.

I don't really have any fall meals. Mostly I don't use the oven for longer meals in the summer because it heats up the house too much. I have a small turkey that roasts frozen to done in about 2 hours that I like to make. Might be able to have that again.

@easyas123 , I have heard of turtle soup but have never had it.

I am not sure why different items are out of stock each week. Clorox toilet wands are out of stock just about everywhere. I will have to keep looking.
I got the very last bottle of toilet bowl cleaner in the store today. They did have the Clorox toilet wands in stock. But not a single jar of store brand salsa, which I usually get. I had to get a brand name. And I bought 2 cans of pumpkin to have on hand for the holidays. You all have me stocking up in baking supplies.

Extra QOTD (To bring our thread back up): Would you like to be (have you ever been) on a Game Show?
I have not been and at this age, I'd rather watch. I am not very competitive.

Good Afternoon. I am on a little earlier today.

I would have to say I never want to be on a game show. I have the irrational fear of appearing stupid (or at least not smart) and too often people on those shows end up looking not too bright. I know it has to be the environment, and being so out of the normal environment, but it just feeds into my fear! I did have a friend on Price Is Right once, and she came off so different then who she really is. In life she is bubbly and enthusiastic. On the show she just appeared boring and reserved. So odd.

I am getting ready to make dinner. Tonight is one of DH and DD's favorites - Asian Noodles. Found a similar recipe on Weight Watchers, and I have modified it for our family. Still really healthy, and great when I am being good and counting my points. I really need to get back to that, but 2020 seems to have convinced me that I need to snack all the time. Another reason I am looking forward to when we resume a more normal life. I am too busy to snack all day then! lol

@lynxstch, what a wonderful set you have!

Thank you everyone for the good wishes. My mom went to rehab this afternoon, she is going to transition into long term care when she is done with rehab. It's a good one not far from my house. The hard part is they don't allow visitors right now and are doing their very best to keep Covid out. So far they have been successful. This has been difficult for me today. I've been taking care of my mom for a number of years now and she has lived with me for three. I know that she is scared and confused. She was confused a good part of the day today at the hospital. I couldn't tell her that I would not be there for her tomorrow, it would have upset her even more. I actually feel like I am grieving. This is harder than if she had passed away. Being able to face time is possible but not the same, nor is waving to her on the other side of a window but it will have to do. Reality is that if Covid goes on for a long time that she may not know who I am when I finally get to see her in person.

That's really cool, your mom attended a taping of TPIR, Gwynne! I hope she did have fun :)

I also totally agree with those of you who said you prefer to watch, so do I! I am not competitive at all and absolutely do not like being in the spotlight. I just have thought some games such as Plinko especially would be fun to play in general and because you usually can win something :)

HUGS, Kirby! :( I felt loss, anger, frustration, but also plain SAD and horrible during my Grandma's last years. I will always wish some choices had been made differently. But I do know she knew she was loved and I will also always cherish that just a couple days before she passed, I had brought over some pictures of my new preschoolers (I had not long before begun a new teaching job) Grandma clearly was interested in looking at those kids! She was with me. We are all here for you, my friend and I pray you know always so is God.

@Kirby I am sorry you have so much on your plate. I hope the nurses and aides will be able to help with virtual visits, as well as assist your mom in feeling safe and comfortable.
I think it's very understandable to feel this as loss.
Mindfully taking things one day at a time has helped me when I've had to navigate challenging times. I've found often I don't have to figure it all out, just be present today. I mention this in case you find it helpful, too.
I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. 💜

I thought of this QOTD lol due to all the Game shows I've been watching during this plague and know some of you are enjoying them as well. I hope this is fun to think about :) One day post plague, Dad and I might try more time (in MUCH cooler weather than many years ago) to be called on down for the Price is Right. I am not sure we'd ever get on because I know they seem to prescreen people and probably want more animated folks. I'm quiet :)

What about each of you? :)

(no I haven't been but....)

Bring it on, Supermarket Sweep....

Bianca and Bernard, I used to love Supermarket Sweep back in 2000. I'd watch it most evenings as I had dinner after coming home from work. These days I would not be able to do the running around. I've tried watching it on TV and the constant beeping noise does not work for me (TMJ-wise). I hope you and others do still enjoy watching it. Watching that show though did put into my mind thinking about where I might love to have a 3 minute shopping spree. Post plague, probably I'd say at a supermarket or Wal-Mart/Target.

:hug:to you, too, Pea

@lynxstch, what a wonderful set you have!

Thank you everyone for the good wishes. My mom went to rehab this afternoon, she is going to transition into long term care when she is done with rehab. It's a good one not far from my house. The hard part is they don't allow visitors right now and are doing their very best to keep Covid out. So far they have been successful. This has been difficult for me today. I've been taking care of my mom for a number of years now and she has lived with me for three. I know that she is scared and confused. She was confused a good part of the day today at the hospital. I couldn't tell her that I would not be there for her tomorrow, it would have upset her even more. I actually feel like I am grieving. This is harder than if she had passed away. Being able to face time is possible but not the same, nor is waving to her on the other side of a window but it will have to do. Reality is that if Covid goes on for a long time that she may not know who I am when I finally get to see her in person.

What a difficult position to be in, I hope it brings you some comfort that she's being well cared for. Hugs to you & your family during this situation -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter