Question about reallocating borrowed points after cancellation a reservation to allow for banking

Calbear88

Earning My Ears
Hi, I purchased a 90 point contract in April 2019 with an April Use year.

For my first DVC trip, I booked a 9 night trip in April 2020 at OKW, which used 180 points,. For that reservation, I banked all my 2019 points and used all my 2020 points. (90 points from each year)

I then booked one night at the Polynesian in April 2020 for 23 points, so a borrowed 23 points from 2021 because I had used up all my banked 2019 points, and all my 2020 points.

I think that if I cancel the one night at the Polynesian, those 23 points are borrowed and would need be used in the 2020 use year.

If I cancel the Polynesian reservation, and now have 23 borrowed points sitting in the 2020 use year, could member services reallocate those 23 points toward my OKW reservation, and thus free up 23 “regular” 2020 points that I can bank into 2021? Could this be done without cancelling my existing OKW reservation and rebooking it, in order to avoid the risk of losing the room?

Thanks so much

Yes, as long as you first cancel the Poly reservation, then those freed up borrowed points from 2021 can be reallocated to the existing OKW reservation, thereby freeing up 23 of the April 2020 use year points that can be banked into 2021 (banking deadline for those points is November 30, 2020). The existing OKW reservation does NOT need to be cancelled to do this. Member services can take care of this for you, or you could do it yourself online by modifying the reservation.

By the way, welcome to the DVC family!

Once you cancel, and the borrowed points are in your account, then modify your reservation,

Go through the steps as though you were booking it, but don’t change a thing and follow it through until the end, At that point, it will pick up the borrowed points, and you will notice you have 2020 UY points back in your account!

And just remember to cancel the poly reservation 31+ days in advance...so those points don't become holding points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter