Rabbit, Hatter & Chessie Go Rogue in Christmasland.New5/11 Meet my Nemesis, Splash M.

Hey all...:wave2: remember me...?

I didn't go awol... I've just had a really, really emotionally rough week.

My sweet daughter... had a bit of an emotional melt down this past week...

Well actually, that's a bit understated... She blew like a volcano ...

I think she was holding in all the stress of senior year... the grades, the college apps in and when the admissions process was completed... it was like a damn...just bursting... not only did she has a full anxiety meltdown... she was also really physically sick... this started on Tuesday and as of today she is starting to feel better... after an emergency session with the Psychiatrist and some TLC....

She had fought and been diagosed with serious anxiety in 5/6/7th grades... doctors, meds, etc. She couldn't go to sleepovers, nightmares, school trips were hard... constantly in a state of anxiety... It was so hard to watch...

She worked her way through and in fact thrived in so many ways...but people who have a vulnerability to or have a mood disorder... it's still there... it's just being controlled/handled...

If you didn't know... you would never guess if you met her... she looked and acted like the girl who had everything totally under control...

But mood disorders have a funny way of sneaking back in at moments of high pressure... just lurking beneath the service... and for many of us ...we want to will them away... because we think if we were just stronger we would be able to...

But that's not true...

& the reason that I'm sharing this (& btw Jackie- I did see your stuff with Connor and I'll be heading over to your board soon..:hug:)

& I guess the reason that I'm sharing this is two fold...

I just hope that if anyone reading this is either coping with any kind of mood disorder either with themselves or with someone they love... that you realize that it isn't a weakness or a character flaw... you can't will it away ...but you can work through it...

& you aren't alone... so many people have these issues...there shouldn't be any shame or stigma associated with it...

Eric and I have joked... so I wouldn't cry... that we make beautiful, smart, kind children who just happen to need a bit more support on the emo side... but then so have I ... so I really can't be that surprised...

I love them with all of my heart and wouldn't change them for anything... I just wish their journeys could some times be easier BUT one thing I've definitely learned is that you truly never know what someone is facing or dealing with...

So let's hear for a round of kindness and empathy for everyone... No exceptions...:grouphug:

Oh Patricia - this was so beautifully written! I hope Em is feeling much, much better. She has such a bright future ahead of her. This is just a small blip.

Anxiety and OCD run in my family so I know the pain and discomfort this can bring! People are wired so differently and some of us are wired to experience anxiety, depression, and other mood disorders. Our brains literally "light up" differently. Accepting this is the first step. And there are some amazing people out there and some amazing techniques that can be used for anxiety management. The brain can actually be trained to deal with anxiety in a positive way and learning how to do this is very empowering. It can also help people avoid having to use anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds.

Good luck to Em! I'll be thinking about all of you.

Edited to say: I just reread this one more time and we should talk. I know we are meeting in a month but I really would like to share some personal experiences with you that I think could be helpful.

Heavens, do I understand this!!! ::yes::

She worked her way through and in fact thrived in so many ways...but people who have a vulnerability to or have a mood disorder... it's still there... it's just being controlled/handled...

If you didn't know... you would never guess if you met her... she looked and acted like the girl who had everything totally under control...

But mood disorders have a funny way of sneaking back in at moments of high pressure... just lurking beneath the service... and for many of us ...we want to will them away... because we think if we were just stronger we would be able to...

But that's not true...

So, so, so true, Patricia! :grouphug:

I just hope that if anyone reading this is either coping with any kind of mood disorder either with themselves or with someone they love... that you realize that it isn't a weakness or a character flaw... you can't will it away ...but you can work through it...

& you aren't alone... so many people have these issues...there shouldn't be any shame or stigma associated with it...

This is so beautiful, Patricia! It made me cry because it is so true -- I wish we could change the perception that mood disorders are something to hide and be ashamed of -- it has been a particular soapbox of mine for many years, and I agree with you about putting that out there for others to know and realize -- it's one of the reasons that I mentioned Connor on my TR. I will be PMing you...

I love them with all of my heart and wouldn't change them for anything... I just wish their journeys could some times be easier BUT one thing I've definitely learned is that you truly never know what someone is facing or dealing with...

So let's hear for a round of kindness and empathy for everyone... No exceptions...:grouphug:

I LOVE this!!!

You put that wonderfully. Thank you for sharing this difficult experience. Last year I hit a rough patch and had a pretty bad time of it emotionally. For the first time I experienced true anxiety and the issues that can come with it. It wasn't pretty. I really did feel like I could will it away. (I couldn't.) I really did feel all alone so reading about others' similar experiences helps. I sincerely hope your daughter feels better now. It's obvious she has a wonderful, caring family to help her through it.

I think she was holding in all the stress of senior year... the grades, the college apps in and when the admissions process was completed... it was like a damn...just bursting... not only did she has a full anxiety meltdown... she was also really physically sick... this started on Tuesday and as of today she is starting to feel better... after an emergency session with the Psychiatrist and some TLC....

She had fought and been diagosed with serious anxiety in 5/6/7th grades... doctors, meds, etc. She couldn't go to sleepovers, nightmares, school trips were hard... constantly in a state of anxiety... It was so hard to watch...

But that's not true...

& the reason that I'm sharing this (& btw Jackie- I did see your stuff with Connor and I'll be heading over to your board soon..:hug:)

Eric and I have joked... so I wouldn't cry... that we make beautiful, smart, kind children who just happen to need a bit more support on the emo side... but then so have I ... so I really can't be that surprised...

Thanks for sharing Patricia!!! We have ALL KINDS of emotional & mental health issues in our family! Zach's therapist was just telling us that this is a really hard time of year for anyone with these types of issues. I hope things improve for Emily soon without too much more pain. :hug:

And the good news.... I'm all caught up! I'm very excited for your new TR about Rome!! Your family goes on the best adventures!!

I'm really enjoying your tour through the new FL! I got to see it in October & can't wait to get back in just 10 days!!!!!

But that's not true...

I have always felt, said, and firmly believe that the greatest strength anyone can possibly have is knowing that it's ok, to not be ok. That it's ok to ask for help, to want help, to need help. That just the knowing and the openness to getting help shows so much character and strength, so much more than trying to hold it all in, alone. For each of us, knowing those things about ourselves and that while it may be under control, those things are still part of us is an important thing to always remember. It's easy to lull ourselves into believing they are gone or "cured" and I know it can really catch me off guard when something happens with the kids that I thought we'd moved past. It's never really past, it's more about finding a new strategy to deal with things, or amending the one you have. As they (and we) grow and change, our ways of dealing with these things must as well. Frustrating and draining to be sure but part of the ever evolving process I guess. But hey, it's not boring right?

Society creates such a muddle of things. There are people who are victims. By choice, by mentality. There are so many others that simply have an illness and need help. Society tends to lump them together and they couldn't be more different.

As your child she couldn't be anything different than beautiful, smart, and sensitive and gosh with what she just achieved, the standards she must have set for herself to make that happen, good lord, who wouldn't crack? From sheer relief that it is over if nothing else. All that has to go somewhere right? She is so very blessed to have you and Eric to help her navigate through and pick up the pieces. I have no doubt she will.

I have said, and just posted as much on Jackie's thread that perception is so deceiving. My kids get caught up in it at times. You do never know and the reality is that EVERYONE has "stuff". Whether they choose to acknowledge it and embrace it is one thing, whether you consider it as "bad" or as horrible as your own is another but I promise you that to them, it is, and it should be considered such. I also know that we can't fix everything for our kids, much as we wish we could. I know my parents sure tried and I still had my own issues that I, and only I, had to work through on my own. There isn't a thing they could have done, it was something I had to go/grow through.

Do chat with Mary Ellen, I do believe she can help, empathize and add insight and don't be afraid to share. I tend to be pretty out there with my own stuff as Mary Ellen can attest and while much of it isn't appropriate for a board setting, I will say this. Getting it out, keeping it out, not being afraid of it, for me, is the healthiest choice I could possibly make.

We all share in it and need to love support each other, the seen and unseen, the heard and unheard. I am truly sorry Em is going through this, and you, Eric and David. It's hard on everyone. This too shall pass.

Really though, is it any wonder we all love Disney so much? Who doesn't need the happy place? The fairytale endings. I sure do. Those princesses (ok, the princes too) have their own "stuff" to work through. And they do, even when it isn't easy. :hug:

Patricia, I am so sorry to hear that EM has to struggle so much! I hope she will get through this and become stronger and from what you say it does sound as if you all are helping and supporting her with this! I am certain that having experienced this now will only make her stronger when she has to deal with the strains of college and it will help her through the next years!:grouphug:

I also wanted to say that I find her choice of course for college fascinating - would have been just what I would have loved as well! However, since you mentioned that she wants to go into law - one thing that I learned the hard way is that there my be no other profession that ties you as much to your home country as the law. Since law is different everywhere you can only really practise in the jurisdiction you qualified in. And international law - while extremely fascinating - is such a narrow possibility that one can't really count on managing to get into that. I have friends who have managed and it sounds like Em is an incredibly talented and smart person, so I am sure she will be able to achieve nearly anything she sets her mind on. However, I see so many young people who set out for a law degree thinking that they want to do something international afterwards and then find out that you have more chances to work on international projects if you are an engineer for example.

I have always felt, said, and firmly believe that the greatest strength anyone can possibly have is knowing that it's ok, to not be ok. That it's ok to ask for help, to want help, to need help. That just the knowing and the openness to getting help shows so much character and strength, so much more than trying to hold it all in, alone. For each of us, knowing those things about ourselves and that while it may be under control, those things are still part of us is an important thing to always remember. It's easy to lull ourselves into believing they are gone or "cured" and I know it can really catch me off guard when something happens with the kids that I thought we'd moved past. It's never really past, it's more about finding a new strategy to deal with things, or amending the one you have. As they (and we) grow and change, our ways of dealing with these things must as well. Frustrating and draining to be sure but part of the ever evolving process I guess. But hey, it's not boring right?

Society creates such a muddle of things. There are people who are victims. By choice, by mentality. There are so many others that simply have an illness and need help. Society tends to lump them together and they couldn't be more different.

As your child she couldn't be anything different than beautiful, smart, and sensitive and gosh with what she just achieved, the standards she must have set for herself to make that happen, good lord, who wouldn't crack? From sheer relief that it is over if nothing else. All that has to go somewhere right? She is so very blessed to have you and Eric to help her navigate through and pick up the pieces. I have no doubt she will.

I have said, and just posted as much on Jackie's thread that perception is so deceiving. My kids get caught up in it at times. You do never know and the reality is that EVERYONE has "stuff". Whether they choose to acknowledge it and embrace it is one thing, whether you consider it as "bad" or as horrible as your own is another but I promise you that to them, it is, and it should be considered such. I also know that we can't fix everything for our kids, much as we wish we could. I know my parents sure tried and I still had my own issues that I, and only I, had to work through on my own. There isn't a thing they could have done, it was something I had to go/grow through.

Do chat with Mary Ellen, I do believe she can help, empathize and add insight and don't be afraid to share. I tend to be pretty out there with my own stuff as Mary Ellen can attest and while much of it isn't appropriate for a board setting, I will say this. Getting it out, keeping it out, not being afraid of it, for me, is the healthiest choice I could possibly make.

We all share in it and need to love support each other, the seen and unseen, the heard and unheard. I am truly sorry Em is going through this, and you, Eric and David. It's hard on everyone. This too shall pass.

Really though, is it any wonder we all love Disney so much? Who doesn't need the happy place? The fairytale endings. I sure do. Those princesses (ok, the princes too) have their own "stuff" to work through. And they do, even when it isn't easy. :hug:

Cynthia, this is a wonderful post!!!

Oh no! So sorry to hear about Emilys meltdown. PumpkinGirl had one in January and were still working though the aftermath of it with counseling and such. She also holds things in and internalizes too much. They set such high standards for themselves and try to put on a brave face when it doesn't go the way they had hoped ...or even goes well but leads to more pressure.

Lots of P&PD to her and you and the rest of your fam as you work through it all. It is a day by day thing and we just have to be aware and sensitive and keep them talking :hug:

Thank you for the compliments on my TR; it was a fun one to write. No hurry in getting back to yours, well be here for that when you're in the right mind frame for it. In the meantime were here for you and your fam in any way we can be :goodvibes

Hmmm... Splash is kind of my nemesis... honestly it may be the most frightening ride experience at Disney for me... I think I'm Splash phobic...:rolleyes2

Isn't it interesting how a ride can be thrilling to one and scary to another? I love Splash and Tower of Terror, but I know people who are terrified of both. With my claustrophobia, the ride that scares me is Mission:Space.

Anxiety and OCD run in my family so I know the pain and discomfort this can bring! People are wired so differently and some of us are wired to experience anxiety, depression, and other mood disorders. Our brains literally "light up" differently. Accepting this is the first step. And there are some amazing people out there and some amazing techniques that can be used for anxiety management. The brain can actually be trained to deal with anxiety in a positive way and learning how to do this is very empowering. It can also help people avoid having to use anti-anxiety and anti-depressant meds.

Edited to say: I just reread this one more time and we should talk. I know we are meeting in a month but I really would like to share some personal experiences with you that I think could be helpful.

I'd love weekend course for all DIStown residents. I bet you have such informative things to say that could help us all with our families, co-workers, students, etc.

Really though, is it any wonder we all love Disney so much? Who doesn't need the happy place?

Wise words! ::yes::

Oh, Patricia, your write-up of Be Our Guest makes me look forward to our dinner there even more! I’m so glad you liked it! That braised pork look delicious!

Congrats on Emily getting accepted to Johns Hopkins! That is wonderful! I’m sorry that she has been going through a lot emotionally, though. As you already know from my PTR, my son and I have both suffered from anxiety, so I can sympathize with what you and your family must have been going through when those issues cropped up again for Emily. You are right, the disorder never goes away, it is just managed. I’m glad she’s doing better now :thumbsup2 And I’m with you: Kindness and empathy for everyone! :grouphug:

Sorry I haven't been around much for you Patricia and I'm especially sorry that I wan't here for you when you were dealing with Em's breakdown. You were there for me and I feel guilty now.....please forgive.

It just makes me realize how fragile this "calm" that we are experiencing now can be. I guess we can never get too comfortable, huh? Anyways, sending lots of love and hugs to you & Em!!!:lovestruc

:wave2: I've been MIA for a while (life!), but I'm caught up on your TR now.

I have great love for new Fantasyland, too. I love the way the areas are themed for each story but flow together so well. I'm VERY excited for the mine train!

BoG is is almost like an attraction rather than a restaurant. I haven't had dinner there yet, but lunch was amazing...the decor, the food, everything was top notch. Belle is my favorite princess, and I want to meet the Beast SO BAD. Yes, I'm six years old at heart!

My heart goes out to Em and your family. Since I was a little girl, my mom has dealt with emotional issues; and I've never understood why it's so hard for people to be understanding...or at least try to understand. So many people have told her to "get up and get over it" or "stop being a victim". Those people don't care about the battles she's waged, but I knew from an early age that she's a fighter. She's been hospitalized three times and talks freely and unashamedly about her experiences. I'm proud of her; and when I was diagnosed with cancer, I followed her example and fought hard even though I knew that, ultimately, the end result wasn't up to me. Thankfully, we're both OK, for now.

Em is blessed to have the family she does...just as you are blessed to have her.

Thank you for reminding me to be the kindest, gentlest me I can be every day because as you said, "...you truly never know what someone is facing or dealing with...."

I love them with all of my heart and wouldn't change them for anything... I just wish their journeys could some times be easier

Oh Patricia, I'm so sorry to hear about your princess. I know exactly how you feel and I thought what you wrote there was so lovely and caring. She's going to be alright - she has you!
:hug:

Thanks so much for everyone who posted such kind words and sentiments about Emily and our family... I read everything and was very moved...:grouphug: I didn't reply immediately because... well quite frankly... it was a bit of a rough week... I was scared for her and felt guilty I didn't see this coming... and then I just felt a little bit beat up...(mostly by myself I think...)

Em is doing so much better... really well in fact...:goodvibes I think because she's had the previous experience with the intense anxiety and now she also is older and more mature... she's willing to accept the fact that this is just a part of who she is and she just needs to work through it... (in that sense it was much easier than the first time all of this stuff popped up back in Middle School). It was harder because we didn't see it coming (and I feel guilty about that) and if we/she/I had recognized it a little bit earlier... it might not have reached crisis mode...:confused3 But that's water under the bridge now... and hopefully she (and I) learn from it. Mood Disorders don't "show" when they're under control but they're still there...

The important thing is she's feeling all sorts of better... she has the school play all of next weekend and a couple of weeks after that... Senior Prom...:goodvibes and she's looking forward to both... so onward and upward we go...

Oh Patricia - this was so beautifully written! I hope Em is feeling much, much better. She has such a bright future ahead of her. This is just a small blip.

Thanks Mary Ellen...:hug: I know that and even 10 days ago I knew that intellectually... It's just so awful to watch someone you love in that kind of distress...

It really can be so debilitating and I imagine it can be hard for people who haven't experienced it to have a hard time getting it... Accepting is truly the first and very critical step... I know from myself... if you can't accept it because you think you should be strong and smart enough to make it go away... you just make it so much worse... Watching her (little type A that she is) trying to be "tough" to control it... so awful...:sad2: but luckily she's has accepted it and that's made it easier because once you admit it and don't judge yourself... you can work on managing it... We'll have a lot to talk about when we tiptoe through the tulips at Longwood...

Good luck to Em! I'll be thinking about all of you. :hug:

I would love to...

Heavens, do I understand this!!! ::yes::

So, so, so true, Patricia! :grouphug:

This is so beautiful, Patricia! It made me cry because it is so true -- I wish we could change the perception that mood disorders are something to hide and be ashamed of -- it has been a particular soapbox of mine for many years, and I agree with you about putting that out there for others to know and realize -- it's one of the reasons that I mentioned Connor on my TR. I will be PMing you...

Hey Jackie, :hug: Yes as many strides as have been made... I still feel we have so far to go in the public perception of Mood Disorders... I think that 100 years from now people will be reading the history of how our era dealt with this topic and will be shaking their head at our backwardness in this area... Ironically and not that I would wish a mood disorder on anyone; so many of the people that I now know have these issues -are some of the smartness, funniest, most creative, empathetic people I know. It can be managed but it can be very painful until it is (not to mention the life stressors that can cause break throughs....:sad2:)

You know how highly I think of Connor...:hug: it WILL be better much BETTER... I just can't give you a guarantee exactly how long it will be...:hug:

I LOVE this!!!

You put that wonderfully. Thank you for sharing this difficult experience. Last year I hit a rough patch and had a pretty bad time of it emotionally. For the first time I experienced true anxiety and the issues that can come with it. It wasn't pretty. I really did feel like I could will it away. (I couldn't.) I'm so sorry...It is an awful, ugly thing... and no matter how smart or brave you are you can't will it away...:hug:

I really did feel all alone so reading about others' similar experiences helps. I sincerely hope your daughter feels better now. It's obvious she has a wonderful, caring family to help her through it.

It really does help knowing that you aren't alone... that's why (sigh) I wish people didn't feel a stigma... it's gotten better but still isn't where it needs to be...:hug: She is feeling better and having a caring family is an awesome thing, never to be underestimated...

Thanks for sharing Patricia!!! We have ALL KINDS of emotional & mental health issues in our family! Zach's therapist was just telling us that this is a really hard time of year for anyone with these types of issues. I hope things improve for Emily soon without too much more pain. :hug:

Hey Amy...:hug: Yes I'm afraid our family keeps the mental health professionals occupied as well... Eric and I were joking about asking for group rates for varying services and such... because it was either laugh or cry... She is doing much better though and I feel she is in a really good place attitude wise... so I can't ask for much more than that...

And the good news.... I'm all caught up! I'm very excited for your new TR about Rome!! Your family goes on the best adventures!! Thanks... and I just started my PTR as a pick me up...

I'm really enjoying your tour through the new FL! I got to see it in October & can't wait to get back in just 10 days!!!!!

YOU WILL LOVE IT... Oh I'm on the response page so I can't see now when you wrote this... I'll have to come by your TR to see if you've left yet...& wish you a good trip...:goodvibes

I have always felt, said, and firmly believe that the greatest strength anyone can possibly have is knowing that it's ok, to not be ok. That it's ok to ask for help, to want help, to need help. That just the knowing and the openness to getting help shows so much character and strength, so much more than trying to hold it all in, alone. This is so true but it takes most of us a bit to realize it... we want to be brave, rugged individuals who can handle ourselves... and we need to come to that place where we realize that sometimes it's stronger to ask for help than not...
For each of us, knowing those things about ourselves and that while it may be under control, those things are still part of us is an important thing to always remember. It's easy to lull ourselves into believing they are gone or "cured" and I know it can really catch me off guard when something happens with the kids that I thought we'd moved past. It's never really past, it's more about finding a new strategy to deal with things, or amending the one you have. As they (and we) grow and change, our ways of dealing with these things must as well. Frustrating and draining to be sure but part of the ever evolving process I guess. But hey, it's not boring right?

This is so, so true... because when everything is going seamlessly it is so easy to think that everything is "gone"... but it just means that we're managing it well and we can handle the stress level that we're at... but change that stress level... or add some new variables into the equation and BOOM... your block tower comes crashisng down...

She is lucky to have us as her parents and we and David are so lucky to have her as our Daughter/sister. She is a delight to be around 90% of the time (which I think is pretty amazing for anyone) She has in so many ways been such an easy teenager (other than that 10% of uber teenagerness -is that a word? lol) She is a type A... but a sensitive type A... if that makes sense... & she's in the middle of going through one of the roughest transitions that you can make... high school to college; really the transition to adulthood. If there is a silver lining to all of this... she'll probably be more self aware and a better self advocate.

I have said, and just posted as much on Jackie's thread that perception is so deceiving. My kids get caught up in it at times. You do never know and the reality is that EVERYONE has "stuff". Yes and you never know just what people are going through in the privacy of their own houses...

Whether they choose to acknowledge it and embrace it is one thing, whether you consider it as "bad" or as horrible as your own is another but I promise you that to them, it is, and it should be considered such. Yes because life is relative and people have their own lives and experiences...

I also know that we can't fix everything for our kids, much as we wish we could. I know my parents sure tried and I still had my own issues that I, and only I, had to work through on my own. There isn't a thing they could have done, it was something I had to go/grow through. I know this, agree with it & will adhere to it as much as is possible... but I don't have to necessarily like it...;)

Oh I plan on chatting with her and don't worry I'm a great sharer...;) I've been good at that since I was in Kindergarten...

I know..and having the support (along with a somewhat irreverent sense of humor) helps a lot...:hug:

Yes because it really is a safe, happy, magical place. That's why as much as I love to travel... I always go back to Disney... there really isn't anything like it... :goodvibes

Patricia, I am so sorry to hear that EM has to struggle so much! I hope she will get through this and become stronger and from what you say it does sound as if you all are helping and supporting her with this! I am certain that having experienced this now will only make her stronger when she has to deal with the strains of college and it will help her through the next years!:grouphug:

She IS going to through this and she'll be the stronger for it... I'm sure. Maybe in an odd way...it's better for her to deal with some of this now than in the fall when college begins...:hug:

I also wanted to say that I find her choice of course for college fascinating - would have been just what I would have loved as well! However, since you mentioned that she wants to go into law - one thing that I learned the hard way is that there my be no other profession that ties you as much to your home country as the law. Since law is different everywhere you can only really practise in the jurisdiction you qualified in. And international law - while extremely fascinating - is such a narrow possibility that one can't really count on managing to get into that. I have friends who have managed and it sounds like Em is an incredibly talented and smart person, so I am sure she will be able to achieve nearly anything she sets her mind on. However, I see so many young people who set out for a law degree thinking that they want to do something international afterwards and then find out that you have more chances to work on international projects if you are an engineer for example.

She is a pretty serious minded person and I enjoy watching people sometimes "undestimate" her intellect because I guess they look at her and she's petite, cute and female and they make assumptions based on that...

I will occasionally see someone condescend to her out of the corner of my eye... and the look on their face is priceless when she starts to skewer them... she's the most empathetic person but she WILL defend herself...she'd be a fabulous attorney if she decided to do that... She's also interested in Domestic Public Policy as well... which would be a great use of her talents as well...

she's liberal...but she has a great respect for varying opinions and is much better than a lot of people her age at respecting a variety of political opinions... She's a great believer in civility in public discourse (don't know where that came from...:rolleyes1

Political Science will be a great lead in to either of those two fields...Her interest in French is interesting because although she adores the language and culture (& Europe in general... she loves being able to communicate in another language and looks for opportunities to find native French speakers...not kidding...when she can. ...She worked at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia... and helped French Visitors and when we are in NY or DC I swear she's hoping to run into some more French tourists.)-

But I'm not sure if she'd want to live abroad for more than a bit... she's pretty determined to make the United States a better place... in whatever way that will be for her:goodvibes

Cynthia, this is a wonderful post!!!

Oh no! So sorry to hear about Emilys meltdown. PumpkinGirl had one in January and were still working though the aftermath of it with counseling and such. She also holds things in and internalizes too much. They set such high standards for themselves and try to put on a brave face when it doesn't go the way they had hoped ...or even goes well but leads to more pressure.

Sigh... I'm really really sorry to hear about Pumpkin Girl because as I said I don't wish it on any one...:hug: In a way though... there is comfort and comraderie in knowing that others have these issues... you feel less alone...

Yes high standards while wonderful to aspire to can become a cross to bear if you become too perfectionist... no one is or can be perfect... and you have to mature to get that perfectionism can become a recipe for defeatism if you aren't careful... :sad2:

Lots of P&PD to her and you and the rest of your fam as you work through it all. It is a day by day thing and we just have to be aware and sensitive and keep them talking :hug:

Thanks...:hug: it is a day to day thing and something that you always have to be conscious of ... and maybe more so when things seem to be running smoothly ... Fortunately my kids are used to talking cause because I'm such a big believer of following them around and talking them to death...;) but on the positive side they know they can tell me pretty much anything... unfortunately Emily was getting so busy those conversations weren't happening with the frequency they needed to... and she was beginning to bottle... ergo the volcanic eruption...

Thank you for the compliments on my TR; it was a fun one to write. No hurry in getting back to yours, well be here for that when you're in the right mind frame for it. In the meantime were here for you and your fam in any way we can be :goodvibes

I enjoyed your TR very much... you're a good writer and I feel like I know Roxy and your girls from reading about them...:goodvibes Thanks for the offer and good thoughts... they're very much appreciated...

Isn't it interesting how a ride can be thrilling to one and scary to another? I love Splash and Tower of Terror, but I know people who are terrified of both. With my claustrophobia, the ride that scares me is Mission:Space.

Secret about Mission...:tiptoe: I haven't done that yet...but I'm going on it in July...I do like ToT... but Splash...well I'm going to have to write about that because it's complicated but even though I know you can't fall out... I feel kind of like maybe you could... I know that's not possible but still...:confused3... also it's so cute and like a delightfully themed kiddie ride and then all of a sudden there's that dark conveyor belt, the vultures and then BOOM... you're kind of just thrown over...:scared:

I'd love weekend course for all DIStown residents. I bet you have such informative things to say that could help us all with our families, co-workers, students, etc.

DIStown... I like that... I'd like to hide out in DIStown and not come out for a bit...;)Some of the nicest people are on these boards... & everyone has their own stories but we all love Disney... It's actually pretty cool when you think about it...:goodvibes I love sharing whatever info I have on Mood Disorders with others... I hate for being to suffer even more than they have too/already are...:sad2:

Wise words! ::yes::

:grouphug:

Oh, Patricia, your write-up of Be Our Guest makes me look forward to our dinner there even more! Im so glad you liked it! That braised pork look delicious!

You are going to DIE!... (in the figurative good way..:) You're going to LOVE it... & yes the pork was very good...

Congrats on Emily getting accepted to Johns Hopkins! That is wonderful! Im sorry that she has been going through a lot emotionally, though. As you already know from my PTR, my son and I have both suffered from anxiety, so I can sympathize with what you and your family must have been going through when those issues cropped up again for Emily. You are right, the disorder never goes away, it is just managed. Im glad shes doing better now :thumbsup2 And Im with you: Kindness and empathy for everyone! :grouphug:

Thanks for the Congrats Erin... very proud of her for that and very proud of how she regrouped after this meltdown and is will to accept that her anxiety is just a part of who she is... not easy to do...

Yes I do know some of what you've been through and can imagine a lot of the rest...:hug: It's hard when it's yourself and even more painful when you're watching your child... No it never does go away... so we need to care and advocate for what we need... sometimes that is hard and so easy to forget when everything seems so smooth...

Yes I really do wish that we could all just be a bit kinder and more empathetic towards each other... We never know what's going on behind our neighbor's doors... and looks can be deceiving...:grouphug:

Sorry I haven't been around much for you Patricia and I'm especially sorry that I wan't here for you when you were dealing with Em's breakdown. You were there for me and I feel guilty now.....please forgive.

Oh my gosh Ann-no don't do that to yourself...:hug: It doesn't work like that... you'll catch me next time round...(although I'm hoping it's a little less dramatic...;) You can "listen" to me whine/weep when my baby goes to college in the fall & everyone is tired of hearing it already OK? lol

It just makes me realize how fragile this "calm" that we are experiencing now can be. I guess we can never get too comfortable, huh? Anyways, sending lots of love and hugs to you & Em!!!:lovestruc

Sigh.. I wish I could just tell you everything would be all rainbows and unicorns from now on in... but you're too smart and it would be wrong to tell you that... What I can say is that once Em worked through her really rough patch in middle school ... is that we were on a pretty smooth run for 4 years... and this "meltdown" while intense was shorter because she knows herself better at 18 than she did at 13-14 and is more willing to accept that this is part of who she is and is willing and wants to accept the help...So I think that Victoria will find her "groove", it will be much, much smoother and you (and she) will just have to be conscious of extra stressors and new variables in her life upsetting the balance...in some ways the volcano analogy is actually a good one... volcanos can be quiet for a long time... BUT they're still there...

:wave2: I've been MIA for a while (life!), but I'm caught up on your TR now.

I have great love for new Fantasyland, too. I love the way the areas are themed for each story but flow together so well. I'm VERY excited for the mine train!

OMG... you have no IDEA how excited I am for the mine train... actually you probably do...;)

BoG is is almost like an attraction rather than a restaurant. I haven't had dinner there yet, but lunch was amazing...the decor, the food, everything was top notch. Belle is my favorite princess, and I want to meet the Beast SO BAD. Yes, I'm six years old at heart!

Exactly... it is an attraction...you just get the bonus of food to eat there...:goodvibes I know... meeting the beast would be too cool... hmmm... It would probably throw off their mojo... but don't you think a character breakfast would be cool? Belle of course, the Beast, Gaston and maybe Maurice? :yay: It would be awesome...

My heart goes out to Em and your family. Since I was a little girl, my mom has dealt with emotional issues; and I've never understood why it's so hard for people to be understanding...or at least try to understand. So many people have told her to "get up and get over it" or "stop being a victim". Those people don't care about the battles she's waged, but I knew from an early age that she's a fighter. She's been hospitalized three times and talks freely and unashamedly about her experiences. I'm proud of her; and when I was diagnosed with cancer, I followed her example and fought hard even though I knew that, ultimately, the end result wasn't up to me. Thankfully, we're both OK, for now.

I'm so sorry...:hug: My mom had some stuff going on too... and when we were growing up... people were even less informed than they are now... and that's definitely saying something (Your mom seems so sweet from your TR...:hug:)...both anxiety and maybe even more depression...some people just think it's something to "snap" out of... because it's an illness that doesn't show and people don't understand the brain chemistry involved... it doesn't show... like physical illness... I'm glad she taught you to fight... and most of the world won't ever know how hard that was for her... but YOU Do... I'm so sorry about your cancer diagnosis :hug:but glad you're ok right now... sometimes for the moment that's all we can ask... cause we don't know what's around the corner... that's why I think so many of us are attracted to these boards... they're life affirming...:goodvibes

Em is blessed to have the family she does...just as you are blessed to have her.

Yes... and hopefully we all always remember... I think that mostly we do...

Thank you for reminding me to be the kindest, gentlest me I can be every day because as you said, "...you truly never know what someone is facing or dealing with...."

:grouphug:

Oh Patricia, I'm so sorry to hear about your princess. I know exactly how you feel and I thought what you wrote there was so lovely and caring. She's going to be alright - she has you!
:hug:

Thanks Alysa :hug: She is always going to be my princess... no matter how old she is... & I think she's lucky to have us and we're lucky to have her...

Catching up a little at a time...

100_0808.jpg

this makes me laugh. one year all my photos were of me wearing sunglasses. I was happy. the next trip, Joe insisted I take off my shades and so there are these horrible pictures where my eyes tear up just remembering how bright the sun was in my eyes, or I'm making these awful squinty eyes. I'm sticking to sunglasses in the sun from now on!
I think that you could have a spectacular long weekend by staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and just going to AK and enjoying the resort... OK... honestly I don't think I could not go to the MK... but Animal Kingdom is just really beautiful...:cloud9:

I think so too.
Wow... there was a heck of a wait at Kali....

IMG_0898.jpg

So Eric showed up and we just walked on ... and when I say walked... I really do mean walked... the walk is lovely but it may be as long as the actually ride (I think the 5 minute stand by actually means 5 minutes to walk to the ride...) The ride really is shorter...

hmmmm as I read this I thought "isn't she wearing long sleeves, jeans and a pretty scarf?" must be chilly to be going on Khali!

and yes, you are!:rotfl2:

Hmmm... Not too sure about that...

100_0823.jpg

We got very, very wet...

But I definitely took the worst of it...

Wait for it...

100_0832.jpg

You are a good mom--- I hate hate wet jeans. seriously. I love Khali but unless its well over 80 degrees, I save it for the last ride(s) of the day so that I don't have to wander in wet bottoms. ick.

Tigers, Yetis and Dinosaurs...

On to the tigers... while egging on some cheesy photos...

IMG_0922.jpg

100_0861.jpg
fun cheesy photos!! I love this walk and the walk over in Africa, though I usually have to pick one -- I can't get my family to chill out long enough to do two nature/animal walks in one day. This trip we'll be doing Asia again. Yey!!

love the tigers!!

David and I wanted to go on Primeval Whirl... Eric came but he wasn't that happy... he's not really a spinner... (like no tea cups...) but David and I are and we were still silly from earlier...

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

That's Eric's fake hahah this is going to be so much fun... (& btw honey I'm going get you back for making me spin...) HA HA...

David and I were all about this though... I like to spin and I love watching David... he gets totally hysterical...

100_0869.jpg

is it really tilt-a-whirl and tea-cup like spinny??? or is it just a little spinny when you are going fast around a corner??? it looks like fun, but the spinning leaves me feeling and looking quite green.

Nice!!! We all love Dinosaur!

I have an informal survey for all of you...

What do you feel works the best for you as a Dis er... Dis ing in larger chunks on a couple of days a week, or everyday a little bit or something else..?

I feel that for me it seems better to keep a consistent rhythm- possibly update at least once or twice a week when I'm writing a TR and then reading my subscriptions everyday (almost) for like a half + hour or so...

(Also have recently gotten a bit into Facebook and Pinterest... so trying to balance...:rolleyes1

Also pretty sure I may have a bit of ADD... so really trying to get my routines all organized and structured...

Any and all input/advice Welcome...

I'm tardy to the party but commenting anyway. I am quite randome with my DIS time (can you tell?) when I am not busy at work (like today) I can read and catch up. Also during sports practices I can catch up. But I try to login in at least once or twice a week.

100_0885.jpg

...which I believe was part of a boat ride that didn't manifest?... anyway it's picturesque...

is this part of a ride? I always wonder --its so pretty!

Time for

IMG_0971.jpg

Yak & Yeti...
what a great write up of Yak & YEti. They are on our list this trip-- our first trip there.
I was planning on drinking my dessert...

100_0898.jpg

at the Dawa Bar...

100_0899.jpg

I usually prefer to drink my dessert :rotfl2:

and that Lost on Safari is tied with the Mojito for trying. maybe I can have two desserts???

will try to read on, though these crazy people here at work seem to think I should actually be productive on a Friday afternoon. THE NERVE!

Patricia,

Finally finished catching up, and we are watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It reminded me of your commen about the second Indiana JOnes movie ....and I totally agree. worst casting ever for a "leading lady" :)

A big congrats to your daughter!
I'm not surprised that all the walls came crumbling down after that -- its hard to hold up to all that stress for all of us. Hugs to you all for sticking together as a family and supporting each other. I have three nieces who are all in their first year of college this year -- the high school years (and middle school!) held some challenges for each of the, and some very major emotional challenges for one in particular. I hope she is feeling better now and ready to enjoy the "grand finales" of high school!

I had to skip your new fantasyland photos for now. We are going to be there so soon that I want to be captivated, and not have photos fresh in my memory :) Good tip on the timing of BOG. Our friends' little girl REALLY want to go there so I know to get in line early even if it means splitting up and taking orders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter