"Real American men don't kiss fat women" - Super Fun Night discussion

luvavacation

DIS Veteran
:furious: There is a discussion going on amongst Facebook acquaintances from High School that post on my graduating class' page. Graduation was almost 30 years ago, but some of the people on there still believe they hold the same status as back in HS (studly jock, gorgeous cheerleader, etc.). How they deal with life now is interesting and sometimes amusing. Until this morning, when I became very irritated by a post, moreso than even the political ones!:scared1:

The post was regarding a show my DH and I like, with Rebel Wilson as the lead - "Super Fun Night". She plays a successful lawyer, lives with friends, and hopes to be lucky in love. Her boss is a cute English guy, and I enjoy the flirtations they have had over the season. I think it is a nice show, and I find myself laughing often.

Oh, and Rebel Wilson is overweight, therefore her character is overweight.:confused3 The character still sees herself as worthy of having a man, and doesn't let her weight push her down and out of society. I like that!

Last night, Richard, her boss, the cute English guy, professed his feelings for her character, and kissed her passionately. Yippee!

Um, no!

The HS Facebook group is all incensed. They wonder how on earth any man would want to kiss an overweight woman, how disgusting it was:rolleyes2, etc., etc. Such vitriol! The line that really got me was, "Of course it was the English guy that kisses her, English guys don't care if women are fat, but American men have higher standards. Real American men don't kiss fat women". Said by a former jock with bald head and jowls on his once perfect face.

I don't know any English men to be aware of what they really think about fat women, or just accepting women of all types in general, but I am so glad my own husband doesn't think the same way these former HS "stars" think. However, if English men really are so accepting, I want to know, because I need to go live there! ;):woohoo:

:furious: There is a discussion going on amongst Facebook acquaintances from High School that post on my graduating class' page. Graduation was almost 30 years ago, but some of the people on there still believe they hold the same status as back in HS (studly jock, gorgeous cheerleader, etc.). How they deal with life now is interesting and sometimes amusing. Until this morning, when I became very irritated by a post, moreso than even the political ones!:scared1:

The post was regarding a show my DH and I like, with Rebel Wilson as the lead - "Super Fun Night". She plays a successful lawyer, lives with friends, and hopes to be lucky in love. Her boss is a cute English guy, and I enjoy the flirtations they have had over the season. I think it is a nice show, and I find myself laughing often.

Oh, and Rebel Wilson is obese, therefore her character is obese.:confused3 The character still sees herself as worthy of having a man, and doesn't let her weight push her down and out of society. I like that!

Last night, Richard, her boss, the cute English guy, professed his feelings for her character, and kissed her passionately. Yippee!

Um, no!

The HS Facebook group is all incensed. They wonder how on earth any man would want to kiss an obese woman, how disgusting it was:rolleyes2, etc., etc. Such vitriol! The line that really got me was, "Of course it was the English guy that kisses her, English guys don't care if women are fat, but American men have higher standards. Real American men don't kiss fat women". Said by a former jock with bald head and jowls on his once perfect face.

I don't know any English men to be aware of what they really think about fat women, or just accepting women of all types in general, but I am so glad my own husband doesn't think the same way these former HS "stars" think. However, if English men really are so accepting, I want to know, because I need to go live there! ;):woohoo:

Two things come to mind:

BPZb8No.jpg

and

2TvaHjL.gif

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, I 'spose.

I’d be very tempted to type a snarky response back to the jock and ask him if he’d looked in the mirror lately…….

Why on earth, in the copy of the post that skatalite has, were my words changed? I had typed "overweight" but "obese" was what showed up on the copy? I know certain words are not allowed by Disboards, but are gremlins at work, cleaning up my writing? Can we not use "overweight"?

Seashelley, it isn't worth typing a response. They are the way they are, but I was just so dumbfounded by the gang-up on the actress and what is "disgusting", and the implication that American men have better standards. I really need to go find some English men and satisfy my curiosity on this matter. ;)

Having tended bar back when I was younger, it is my experience that most men, once they've had about 3 beers or within about an hour of closing time, whichever comes first, will go after just about anything as if they were the Seducer of Seville.

Skinny girl dates an overweight guy, and people say things like "Oh, he must be rich".

Skinny guy dates an overweight girl, and people say things like "He must be a chubby chaser".

Real love is blind. It's true that certain physical attributes may ATTRACT certain people, but that's not always true. Some people are more attracted to personality, or brains.

In the end we all get old, fat, and wrinkled. Fact of life. Find someone you love, fat or otherwise.

Why on earth, in the copy of the post that skatalite has, were my words changed? I had typed "overweight" but "obese" was what showed up on the copy? I know certain words are not allowed by Disboards, but are gremlins at work, cleaning up my writing? Can we not use "overweight"?

Seashelley, it isn't worth typing a response. They are the way they are, but I was just so dumbfounded by the gang-up on the actress and what is "disgusting", and the implication that American men have better standards. I really need to go find some English men and satisfy my curiosity on this matter. ;)

Haha nono, no gremlins. I changed the words from overweight to obese.

I'm amazed that people 30 years past their high school graduation would even think that way, let alone say it out loud. I would have no problem telling that bald jowly buffoon that he can kiss my fat ***.

I'd still call him out on it. Were other people actually agreeing with him?

:confused3
Haha nono, no gremlins. I changed the words from overweight to obese.
:confused3

I see no earthly reason for you to intercede and change someone else's words. I wasn't even going to get involved in this thread but seriously!:sad2:

:confused3:confused3

I see no earthly reason for you to intercede and change someone else's words. I wasn't even going to get involved in this thread but seriously!:sad2:

No kidding.....that's :stir: behavior.

OP, I'd leave that group. I'm sure that little gem is just the tip of the iceberg from those charming former classmates of yours.

I meant to bold them, to indicate I changed them.

But I changed them because obese is the correct term.

Even if you had bolded them, it still would look like they were words the OP used. She used the correct words for what she was saying. If you feel Rebel Wilson is obese rather than overweight, you're free to say that in your own words, but it's not right to change words that are attributed to someone else.

Even if you had bolded them, it still would look like they were words the OP used. She used the correct words for what she was saying. If you feel Rebel Wilson is obese rather than overweight, you're free to say that in your own words, but it's not right to change words that are attributed to someone else.

:flower3:

Can't forgive a simple oversight? The Disboards app is unforgiving enough!

But yes, Rebel Wilson is obese (which isn't a bad thing. In fact, I'm glad she's starring it up in TV shows because it gives a healthier indication of reality, especially to impressionable young girls.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter