"Real American men don't kiss fat women" - Super Fun Night discussion

I am so out of touch.
I had to Google Rebel Wilson because I didn't even know who she was..

Yep, She is a fat girl.. not what I would categorize as obese even though i guess, technically she is.... when i think of obese, the images of someone so large, they can barely walk comes to mind.

She might be big, fat or obese but she looks great and appears to be doing well.. I would certainly kiss her if If I thought I could get away with it! ;)

.. and I am American so there goes that theory!

My DH does body building and he is considered obese by the BMI index. In fact, his military doctor put him down as type one obesity. He talked to her about it and she stated, "we use the BMI index and that is what I have to put down." My DH is all muscle! :confused3

Rebel Wilson, according to a couple of articles I read on the interwebs, has a BMI that is high enough to categorize her as obese. However, IMO the word has such a pejoratve connotation that I also would prefer to see the word overweight used instead, as the OP intended. Editing her words within the quote without explanation AT THE TIME was rude. Again, IMO.

As for these people on Facebook - OP, are they all this superficial and juvenile? Do they judge everything and everyone by appearance over substance and character? If so, I wouldn't want to even admit that I knew them.

As for your question about Englishmen-- I know many Brits of both genders. Like any nationality, they are not unanimous in their preferences or in what attracts them to another person. However I can say that none of them are as shamefully shallow as the group you are talking about.

I am still curious - are Englishmen different? I know, beating a dead horse. But I can't recall any American men in romantic scenes with larger women, but I do recall seeing that in English productions.

British men run the gamut pretty much like American men. Some like thinner women, some like heavier women.

Obviously, I can't generalize but amongst my British brothers-in law and my many British young adult nephews, I can tell you that I get to hear a lot of jokes about fat Americans (probably because I'm not overweight at all.) If you'd like an idea of what it's like, watch Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear mouth off about Americans. They can be pretty snarky. And there are plenty of overweight Brits, as well.

British men run the gamut pretty much like American men. Some like thinner women, some like heavier women.

Obviously, I can't generalize but amongst my British brothers-in law and my many British young adult nephews, I can tell you that I get to hear a lot of jokes about fat Americans (probably because I'm not overweight at all.) If you'd like an idea of what it's like, watch Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear mouth off about Americans. They can be pretty snarky. And there are plenty of overweight Brits, as well.

:headache::mad::headache::mad::mic::crazy2: :headache::mad::headache:

I love Hammond and James May, but that big oaf can drive off a cliff for all I care.

English bloke here, my wife is above average weight for her height, so we just think she's not tall enough. She has a great personality, loads of friends, the loveliest smile in the world.I'm a very lucky man.;)

Obviously I don't know your nephews, but I think that what they were saying was more of a negative general stereotype of Americans rather than an attack on a specific person like Rebel Wilson. No different than characterizing Americans as illmannered, loud, and pushy. Or when Americans call the French arrogant and rude. I doubt that they were saying that they could never kiss a fat person, regardless of their nationality.

Rebel Wilson, according to a couple of articles I read on the interwebs, has a BMI that is high enough to categorize her as obese. However, IMO the word has such a pejoratve connotation that I also would prefer to see the word overweight used instead, as the OP intended. Editing her words within the quote without explanation AT THE TIME was rude. Again, IMO.

Let's be real: Rebel Wilson is obese. She's fat. Plain and simple. That doesn't make her a bad person or unattractive in any way (to me, that is), but it's also not something that people should have to candycoat, and it's not a word that should be considered wholly negative*.

When some people read or hear the word obese, they think of this kind of obese:

64cQWYP.jpg

Most, I'd imagine, would think of this, however:

aTiUZhS.jpg

You know, a fat person! Like me! Like a lot of Americans!

Using the term overweight is being kind, I get it. But there's no need to be kind, because using obese in this context with this connotation isn't being negative or rude.

And let's also be real about the show: It constantly revolves around the fact that Wilson's character is fat. She's even been contractually obligated to stay fat because of some of the roles she's been given.

While it'd be nice if people didn't see skinny, fat, black, white, etc., that's not reality. So, people should embrace what they are — just like Rebel has embraced her weight.

As for me "being rude," it wasn't intended. The DISboards app acts a fool sometimes and I thought I had bolded the changes and when I went back to add an explanation, the app froze.

*I guess obese can be negative if it's referring to a literal health crisis. Like, "You're so obese you're going to die if you don't quit eating."

English bloke here, my wife is above average weight for her height, so we just think she's not tall enough. She has a great personality, loads of friends, the loveliest smile in the world.I'm a very lucky man.;)

That's the sweetest sentiment I've heard in a while. :goodvibes Happy Valentine's Day to you and your wife.

I am still curious - are Englishmen different? I know, beating a dead horse. But I can't recall any American men in romantic scenes with larger women, but I do recall seeing that in English productions. Vicar of Dibley, for example, with Richard Armitage's character romancing the leading lady.

Ok, I admit I only watched it because my girlfriends and I admire Richard Armitage, and oh me oh my, he is certainly watchable! But I just don't recall anything like that on American shows?

Yup, Facebook has a purpose - an irritating discussion that forced me to now have Richard Armitage on my mind. There are worse things in life! ;)

Darn you! Now I am thinking about Richard Armitage. ;)

As for the topic at hand, the internet is full of rude, insensitive, ignorant people. We just have to learn how to turn them off.

I'm also obese, and don't consider the word a put down. I'm always surprised if I mention being obese, people say "oh no you're not!" I'm guessing they don't really understand the definition because, yes, according to my scale and my BMI, I am. I am married to a skinny guy, which probably makes me look even bigger. I can still shop in the regular sizes, but I'm still medically obese. It doesn't define who I am, but it is one of my current descriptors. I'm about 35 pounds over my healthy weight and that meets the definition. (If you are 100 pounds over then you're considered "morbidly obese.")

Rebel Wilson is definitely obese. She's also an attractive woman IMO, at least her character on the show is. I saw that episode and thought it was handled well. The boss really doesn't expect himself to be attracted to her, but he is. They have chemistry. Chemistry he didn't really have with his very attractive former girlfriend.

I don't feel like the show has a lot of fat jokes. I feel like she is this kind of goofy, not stereo-typically beautiful, person trying to make her way through a world where she isn't always taken seriously. She's learning to take HERSELF seriously as well. She and her friends are coming into their own after surviving apparently pretty difficult teenage years where they bonded over being oddballs.

I think if the characters pursue a relationship, SHE will be the one that has a harder time with it that he does.

And doesn't it just prove how pathetic we ( well certainly not me )but we as a society are so prejudiced.

You go Rebel Wilson!!
and Thank you to ABC for getting this sitcom on TV.

As for me "being rude," it wasn't intended. The DISboards app acts a fool sometimes and I thought I had bolded the changes and when I went back to add an explanation, the app froze.
[/SIZE]

Yeah. Keep blaming the app :rolleyes2.

The app isn't perfect by any means, but don't blame the app for this. Using bolding (and sometimes a color change) in a quote, at least whenever I see it on the DIS and elsewhere, is for emphasis, and not to make changes to what the person actually said. Like another poster said, after the quote you should have just made your own comment about your thoughts on the terms "overweight" and "obese". Own up, and don't blame the app.

Yeah. Keep blaming the app :rolleyes2.

The app isn't perfect by any means, but don't blame the app for this. Using bolding (and sometimes a color change) in a quote, at least whenever I see it on the DIS and elsewhere, is for emphasis, and not to make changes to what the person actually said. Like another poster said, after the quote you should have just made your own comment about your thoughts on the terms "overweight" and "obese". Own up, and don't blame the app.

HaXDkia.gif

I meant to bold them, to indicate I changed them.

But I changed them because my wife is so hideous and boring (and she has a little mustache that she needs to wax more often), that I would rather spend time on the internet doing immature things. My wife is really that gross.

This is so cool! A forum where the mods allow other posters to change the words of others :woohoo:

I'm not a Texas fan, either. I may live in Texas, but I'm an OSU-loving Okie. And an OU hater :).

I'm not a Texas fan, either. I may live in Texas, but I'm an OSU-loving Okie. And an OU hater :).

OSU is fantastic. I love the campus and football team. No hate from me! I root for OU when they're not battling Texas. And sometimes OSU.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter