• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reality Check... MLK Weekend

Rhianna.07

DIS Family Page
Finally was able to plan a quick trip to pop in to MK on Saturday the 19th but I think I am seriously underestimating the crowds. Has anyone been to MK during this weekend? I thought that January was a slightly less crowded month so it would be okay if we just took a quick one day trip on that Saturday but I think I'm mistaken. It is not a marathon weekend and I don't believe any other events are planned for that day Edit: Apparently there is a cheer/dance thing that weekend? I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a College Cheer/Dance thing going on that weekend, plus kids being off school. Of course MK should be the most crowded park that day. But anything is doable with a plan.

The dance event is at Disney springs the evening of the 19th. That's why I'll be there, family member is dancing, but we'll be there all week as well. Just wondered what the weekend might look like for crowds.

I was there for MLK last year. We arrived Thursday night and left on MLK day in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday we did Epcot/AK/HS and it was all fine. Nothing terrible as far as crowds go.

Sunday at MK was absolute chaos from about 11am until fireworks time. I was very happy that I had the dessert party booked. It was also SO cold.

Monday we did Crystal Palace PPO and hit some rides before leaving the park at noon. It was getting very busy by then.

We were also there MLK weekend Friday to Monday last year. Previous poster is right on the money - crowds were manageable everywhere we went (we skipped MK as it was a couple’s trip). And I also agree that it was cooooooold. Wow. 43 doesn’t sound bad but the wind never stopped. But hey, my wife says I’m starting the “little old man cold” stage of life.

Anyway, our highlight was the Festival of the Arts. It was awesome.

One more thought: We were debating MLK or Presidents weekend. Well, rooms were 20% more at Presidents week, and the park hours were all much later like spring break. So I guess MLK is probably the less crowded of the two early holidays.

Depending on the year, and the schedule of finals, my kids have a 4,5, or once a 6 days weekend. This year, we will have a 5 day weekend, Friday (no finals for either kid) - Tuesday.

Yes, we will be there this MLK weekend as well.

In prior years, this was a fairly dead weekend. While Saturday and Sunday would be a little busier, Monday and Tuesday would be fairly empty.

That seems to have changed about two years ago. it was busier in 2017, an in 2018, believe it or not, we actually just left MK because we felt it was so crowded.

Now, keep in mind, my tolerance is low. We live in Charlotte, have DVC and AP, and make multiple trips to Disney each year (including each of the past 7 years). So, I really do not need to wait an hour in line for a 2 minute ride. We are there enough, we can skip Sorrin this trip.

Parks close earlier this time of year, and while days can be warm (about 70), nights can get cool. Then there is that point that it is January, so be prepared for anything.

So, as bad as I made it sound, keep in mind we do go every year, and we always have fun.

Last edited:

That weekend will also be the start of all the new 2019 events - Move It Shake It Mouskedance It (MK), Hakuna Matata Dance Party (DAK), Incredibles Dance Party (DHS), Festival of the Arts (EP) - and will probably bring in local crowds for to see everything

Depending on the year, and the schedule of finals, my kids have a 4,5, or once a 6 days weekend. This year, we will have a 5 day weekend, Friday (no finals for either kid) - Tuesday.

Yes, we will be there this MLK weekend as well.

In prior years, this was a fairly dead weekend. While Saturday and Sunday would be a little busier, Monday and Tuesday would be fairly empty.

That seems to have changed about two years ago. it was busier in 2017, an in 2018, believe it or not, we actually just left MK because we felt it was so crowded.

Now, keep in mind, my tolerance is low. We live in Charlotte, have DVC and AP, and make multiple trips to Disney each year (including each of the past 7 years). So, I really do not need to wait an hour in line for a 2 minute ride. We are there enough, we can skip Sorrin this trip.

Parks close earlier this time of year, and while days can be warm (about 70), nights can get cool. Then there is that point that it is January, so be prepared for anything.

So, as bad as I made it sound, keep in mind we do go every year, and we always have fun.
Do you have any estimates on wait times? Was everything around 45mins-1 hour for the smaller rides like haunted mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Ariel’s undersea adventure?

Ah, my last few trips are all blending together in my head. Such first world problems.

I believe that is correct when you talk about the afternoon into the early evening.

My concern is that we have been there this year in July, August, November and December. Yes, we go too much. Something about being DVC, AP and Hilton Diamond. Anyway, July and August were exactly what I expected. November was packed, perhaps due to a perfect storm of several events. But December was a early month, two day, mid-week trip. Should have been empty. As we walked across the park on that Wednesday afternoon, there was a 70 minute wait for Peter Pan, 135 minutes for 7DMT and 90 minutes at Space Mountain.

My feeling is that with the economy doing well, the parks are experiencing record attendance.

My guess is that you may see similar times next weekend. In the end, will not know until we get there. I think I would still go with that recommended plan of being their for Park Opening, and using a few well planned fast passes for late morning/early afternoon. Especially with MK, get there at least 30 minutes prior to opening. They now let you walk all the way up Main Street.

I have to echo what others are saying about doing rope drop MLK weekend. We were in a near empty Fantasyland for at least an hour. Perhaps due to the weather? Regardless, I am glad we got up that morning.

Many public schools in the Northeast have February vacation that week. Maine has had it as such for a long time now (not that we are a big part of the population lol).

Actually, MLK weekend is in January.

I would NOT suggest going the week of President's Day.

For those of you in the Northeast, after moving down south myself eight years ago, my children's school is actually in session that entire week, including President's Day. It is a great day for me and my wife, who are both off!

Actually, MLK weekend is in January.

I would NOT suggest going the week of President's Day.

For those of you in the Northeast, after moving down south myself eight years ago, my children's school is actually in session that entire week, including President's Day. It is a great day for me and my wife, who are both off!

Oh right! I’ll edit that post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter