• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

recent Hertz or Budget rental car recent experience?

ttfn3

DIS Veteran
Has anyone recently rented from Hertz or Budget rental car at the Orlando Airport? I am looking at renting a car for 8 days from either Hertz or Budget. I just joined both of their rewards programs - hoping to bypass the lines and head to the garage to pick up a car. The rates are giving me sticker shock - however I was able to find a relatively decent aarp/aaa rate, We normally rent from Alamo but their rates are really high for this summer. Any recent reports and tips on renting from Hertz or Budget that you can share? Thank you, in advance.

Last month used Hertz for first time. Had to go to garage desk but no one was in line. Used the now infamous MS code that is now no longer honored. My final price was what was quoted, car had 5k miles and was clean. I arrived at 8pm on a Saturday.

We have been exclusively Hertz for a few rentals now because of a good industry discount. Have to say, we just dropped this afternoon and everything has gone smoothly, again. I am a gold member and am able to go straight to the garage. Be advised, on your first gold rental you will likely have to stop by the garage kiosk. i have experienced no hidden charges nor estimates or final charges other than exactly as booked.

We used Hertz last weekend. I’m a gold member, although have 50/50 success in my travels with my direct to car number being on the board or not. Still better than waiting in the line in the terminal though.

On this trip, my name was on the board but it said “see attendant” - so waited in a roughly 10’ish minute line. Paperwork/computer work took another 5 minutes. Gave me my spot # and off we go… only to arrive at the car, it’s locked, and someone had written on the back windshield “no keys.”

So back to the little booth we go… and wait in another 10 minute line, another 5 minutes of computer work/talking to the manager/etc….. then off to a new unlocked car with keys.

Not the end of the world overall, but not the best experience either. All of the rental car companies are suffering from low staff counts, not enough check-in stations and gate attendants open, etc. Everything about the process is just painstakingly slow.

If I had my choice, I’d generally choose Dollar at MCO.

On my last MCO Hertz rental my name was not on the board - so few were it seemed the board was not working. I had an email that indicated “gold aisle” as my level of service so we just picked something and went to the kiosk and it worked out fine.

Bumping this. Anyone used Hertz in the last month? I am familiar enough with Alamo/Enterprise but have never used Hertz. Signed up for Gold Star and was immediately bumped to 5 star elite. Got an SUV for $244 and Alamo is $120 more for a compact. We arrive Saturday. I have been reading nightmare reviews nationwide with Hertz and am now second guessing myself.

We rented from Hertz at MCO - pick up July 22 in the afternoon. I joined Gold Star when I made the reservation. It was our first experience renting from Hertz at MCO and being a new Gold Plus member I wasn't sure what to expect. Our reservation was pay it later - to be paid on pick up the car. I reserved a AAA rate for a standard car that was the best rate at the time, and included my spouse as a driver. We went directly to the garage to the Hertz area and my name was on the board outside the Hertz office in the garage and it said "5 stars" next to it. We were directed to pick up any vehicle in the 5 stars area (by an attendant n the garage) - however there were no cars in that aisle. So we stopped in the garage office (no wait) and they told us to pick any car in the executive or premium aisles. We selected a Nissan Rogue that had around 20,000 miles on it - very clean. Got in the car, and stopped at the kiosk on the way out to show them my credit card and drivers license. The paperwork matched my quoted rate, and we were off. We didn't have any issues at drop off either. It was as easy as our previous rentals with Alamo and National Rental Car at MCO. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again. I know that some people have had issues with a previously booked code. We didn't have any issues with our AAA rate.

Last edited:
We rented from Hertz at MCO - pick up July 22 in the afternoon. I joined Gold Star when I made the reservation. It was our first experience renting from Hertz at MCO and being a new Gold Star member I wasn't sure what to expect. Our reservation was pay it later - to be paid on pick up the car. I reserved a AAA rate for a standard car that was the best rate at the time, and included my spouse as a driver. We went directly to the garage to the Hertz area and my name was on the board outside the Hertz office in the garage and it said "5 stars" next to it. We were directed to pick up any vehicle in the 5 stars area (by an attendant n the garage) - however there were no cars in that aisle. So we stopped in the garage office (no wait) and they told us to pick any car in the executive or premium aisles. We selected a Nissan Rogue that had around 20,000 miles on it - very clean. Got in the car, and stopped at the kiosk on the way out to show them my credit card and drivers license. The paperwork matched my quoted rate, and we were off. We didn't have any issues at drop off either. It was as easy as our previous rentals with Alamo and National Rental Car at MCO. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again. I know that some people have had issues with a previously booked code. We didn't have any issues with our AAA rate.
Super good to know. Im renting the same (Rogue) through AAA and I am also a Gold member. Was it terminal A you picked up from? Im picking it up tomorrow morning! Also, when driving to Disney to the tolls still accept cash or is it all EX Paxx/Sun Pass? Debating if I should pack my EZ Pass (From Massachusetts). Thanks

Super good to know. Im renting the same (Rogue) through AAA and I am also a Gold member. Was it terminal A you picked up from? Im picking it up tomorrow morning! Also, when driving to Disney to the tolls still accept cash or is it all EX Paxx/Sun Pass? Debating if I should pack my EZ Pass (From Massachusetts). Thanks
If you think of it can you report your experience tomorrow? We are coming from Maine on Saturday. Also supposed to get a Rogue. Also arriving in terminal A. We are leaving our EZ pass at home and signed up for the FL visitor toll pass.

We flew Southwest, so I believe it was terminal A. I packed some quarters to use for tolls. We actually didn't have tolls until we left to go home. We drove 417 to MCO and there were 2 cash tolls where we could use our quarters. We were able to fill the gas tank right before we got on 417 to return it with a full tank. Hope your experience goes smoothly. Have a safe trip!

We flew Southwest, so I believe it was terminal A. I packed some quarters to use for tolls. We actually didn't have tolls until we left to go home. We drove 417 to MCO and there were 2 cash tolls where we could use our quarters. We were able to fill the gas tank right before we got on 417 to return it with a full tank. Hope your experience goes smoothly. Have a safe trip!
I got an Email saying go to terminal A lot, but Im flying Delta which arrives at terminal B. We are prepaying the gas. This trip is 1/2 college visits, 1/2 fun! We'll use the gas for sure this time! Thanks for the tip on quarters. I'll have to search the house and under the cough cushions!! We leave in a few hours for the airport :)

If you think of it can you report your experience tomorrow? We are coming from Maine on Saturday. Also supposed to get a Rogue. Also arriving in terminal A. We are leaving our EZ pass at home and signed up for the FL visitor toll pass.
I will try to posts something, but Ill only have my phone with me for electronics and Im not very saavy with it! Im a laptop girl :) Maybe I can get my DD to do it for me. Apps scare me (speaking of..I downloaded MDE yesterday and it drained my battery in like 2 hours. I have a new phone too. Not liking that app.)

Easy peasy. Had to go to terminal a lot though i arrived at b. Chose car and drove off. Brought my ezpass. Seems to be working. I have a jeep compass. 2 black rogues. Jeep seemed larger on the exterior. Probably the same interior.

If rental car companies are open in both Terminals how do you know which one to go to if you have skip the counter?
It's going to depend on the company. At National and Hertz if you skip the counter you usually have an aisle choice. I know National asked me what airline, I'm assuming they could tell based on that.

If rental car companies are open in both Terminals how do you know which one to go to if you have skip the counter?
I got an Email the day before I picked up the car letting me know which terminal to pick up at. Although I arrived at B and needed to pickup car in A, it was about a 5 minute or less walk. Its outdoors, cross a path and take escalator upstairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter