Refrigerator/coolers in rooms

julie28

Earning My Ears
Have all resorts switched to coolers rather then refrigerators? Are they cool enough to store milk for cereal or really for beverages only now? We’re considering CBR or POFQ if it helps.

Contrary to what some will say, the beverage coolers are fine. Won't freeze anything or keep beverages ice cold, but it will keep items that need to be refrigerated cool enough. As @jo-jo mentioned, if you have concerns, add a bag of ice. Disney would not put coolers in rooms that would not keep food out of the "temperature danger zone" - too much of a liability.

I have used the 'coolers' many times. They keep our beer and water very cold.

We always have a spot in the 'cooler' where something will freeze. Usually a water bottle near the back will freeze pretty solid.

I think if most people didn't hear they were coolers, they wouldn't know they were coolers.

Leaving the whole subject of meds that need to be kept cold out of the equation, they have always been more than fine for food & beverages.

I agree with @Mle8308 said, but due to my wife's medications we also take a small fridge thermometer with us to know what temps the fridge is at. Just gives her some peace of mind.
Understandable! Medication is a whole different concern!

They didn’t keep items cold enough for US when we stayed at CSR.

I like my drinks very cold and they were not. We keep our home fridge in the middle so we don’t have a unusually cold fridge. I didn’t feel safe with our milk and tossed it. Our frozen waffles were very soft (not a big deal) and my premier protein shakes that are in a thicker cardboard container were barely cool. Our orange juice was not cold enough to taste good.

I like my water room temperature so we were good with that.

I didn’t have a thermometer to check temps so can’t confirm actual temps.

It’s honestly not a big deal to us since we go in ordering breakfast foods and think we’ll eat in the room to save time and money but we end up throwing out more than we’d like. We end up being overly full or grab Starbucks since it’s vacation and we have longer trips so more time to relax. Now this will stop us from ordering.

We stayed at BWV a few years ago and the mini fridge there kept everything perfect for us and we did use more of the breakfast items for our late start dates.

Last edited:

There’s a reason this is on most of the recently renovated room beverage coolers.

IMG_5468.jpeg

On quick Internet search the US Dairy Association recommends 40 and below for things like milk and yogurt. That’s personally fine with me and I don’t tend to think twice about it even with yogurt, but it’s not usually super cold. You do see some variability based on the exact location of the cooler, ventilation in the cabinet, and what else is in the cooler, in my experience. YMMV.

There’s a reason this is on most of the recently renovated room beverage coolers.

View attachment 850647

On quick Internet search the US Dairy Association recommends 40 and below for things like milk and yogurt. That’s personally fine with me and I don’t tend to think twice about it even with yogurt, but it’s not usually super cold. You do see some variability based on the exact location of the cooler, ventilation in the cabinet, and what else is in the cooler, in my experience. YMMV.

you are correct, if I would not consume the milk or yogurt right within a day or two, I would not be comfortable using the cooler

We stayed at POR in October and the fridge was super cold. This past March at POP they had the new coolers and the temperature was approx. 5 degrees Celsius. Like someone suggested above, we filled up the wine bucket and a few zip loc bags with ice and it helped bring the temp down a couple of degrees. We stored our small milk cartons in the bags of ice and they remained fresh. Just don't load too many room temperature water bottles at once or the fridge will warm up in no time. 😉

I had cereal for breakfast every morning in the room (at CSR) and also use milk in my tea. We had no problems storing milk and cold drinks in the 'cooler'. The milk never soured and the drinks nice and cold (for us anyway). I don't take any medications personally, but most dispensed fridge medications state 'store between 2 and 8 degrees (celsius)' which is between 35.6 and 46.4 in fahrenheit. I guess if I had meds I wouldn't overload the fridge to ensure the temperature stayed mid range.

I just wish they were slightly bigger, we've started staying in the hotel rooms after years of Disney villas, when we've had a full fridge with a freezer compartment. First world problems I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter