Rented points problem

IMO, it comes down to the fact that Disney (who runs the resorts) has a policy to allow all guests the ability to charge to the KTTW card.

It is their business and they can set whatever policy they want for their guests. If they choose, for whatever reason, not to have different rules for different types of reservations--points vs. cash--or different types of guests, then it is really up to them.

And, I don't think it really matters why they choose not to treat the reservations differently, they don't, when it comes to charging privileges.

From some of posts from people who know a lot about how this all works, it sounds like the agreement between DVD and Disney clearly gives all resort perks, rights, etc. that are available to cash reservations to points reservations.

Personally, I don't think I would ever want to see that changed. While I feel sad for the OP who had to settle the bill to use his/her account, it is something that was agreed to when the contract was bought.

If you let someone else use your membership, then you take on all the responsibility for that guest, including damage and/or charges. I think that anyone who is not willing to accept this, in any way, has the ability to not rent and/or share points with others.

I know personally, I will never rent out my points to strangers. Family and friends that I am comfortable with is about it. Could I still get burned? Sure, but it with close friends and family, it is a risk I would be willing to take.

Why in the world would it cost Disney money.....the renter would just use their credit card instead of their KTTW card. The KTTW card is just like a credit card....swipe and sign. No card is easier then the other.

People are more likely to spend and charge on their KTTW card then on their own personal card - it is a strange fact of consumer behavior. While you may not fall into that "people" category - you would probably be in the minority. In general, people don't quite seem to see that as "real" money like their own personal credit card. And therefore, Disney ends up making more money in purchases than they might otherwise. Multiply that potentially small amount by all the resort guests @ WDW and it could be significant.

Edited: oh I see Chuck already said the same.

No card is easier then the other.
I prefer to let as few people as possible handle my actual credit card. I hand it over at check in only and then use the KTTW card for the remainder of my stay. In my case having charging privileges on my KTTW card does not affect how much I spend, it's about peace of mind and ease of use. I travel light when we're in the parks. I carry only my KTTW, TIW and DVC cards, my photo ID and a bit of cash. Credit cards go in the safe.

If at check-in there was a problem, the renter would have to get in touch with those from whom he/she rented from. Not Disney's problem.
Many guests would try to make it Disney's problem by yelling at the check in CM to override it.

Prior to the stay, the DVC member could easily check their written reservation and even call the resort to make sure it is on the reservation.
To make it appear on the reservation requires a software change. Who should pay for the system upgrade to support this new feature, Disney or the DVC members via their dues? And if you're tempted to say "It would be an easy change to make", things almost never work out that way in practice.

You would think that Disney and DVC would want to assist rather then make it difficult to prevent fraudulent activity by people.
Businesses evaluate their potential losses and then decide if the cost of preventing them is worthwhile. In this case the loss to Disney is practically zero other than time spent on the phone with the few unfortunate DVC members who are affected so spending money to fix this would be a net loss to Disney. Given they are not thrilled about DVC members renting out reservations, there is little incentive for them to help here.

IMO, it comes down to the fact that Disney (who runs the resorts) has a policy to allow all guests the ability to charge to the KTTW card.

It is their business and they can set whatever policy they want for their guests. If they choose, for whatever reason, not to have different rules for different types of reservations--points vs. cash--or different types of guests, then it is really up to them.

And, I don't think it really matters why they choose not to treat the reservations differently, they don't, when it comes to charging privileges.

From some of posts from people who know a lot about how this all works, it sounds like the agreement between DVD and Disney clearly gives all resort perks, rights, etc. that are available to cash reservations to points reservations.

Personally, I don't think I would ever want to see that changed. While I feel sad for the OP who had to settle the bill to use his/her account, it is something that was agreed to when the contract was bought.

If you let someone else use your membership, then you take on all the responsibility for that guest, including damage and/or charges. I think that anyone who is not willing to accept this, in any way, has the ability to not rent and/or share points with others.

I know personally, I will never rent out my points to strangers. Family and friends that I am comfortable with is about it. Could I still get burned? Sure, but it with close friends and family, it is a risk I would be willing to take.

Disney has differentiated between cash reservations and points reservations when it comes to perks. For example DVC members staying on points used to get free valet parking. They still get free internet and pool hopping privelages. Point reservation guests are not eligible for free dining and other specials designed to fill the resorts (this difference is less germain, but a difference none the less).

Businesses evaluate their potential losses and then decide if the cost of preventing them is worthwhile. In this case the loss to Disney is practically zero other than time spent on the phone with the few unfortunate DVC members who are affected so spending money to fix this would be a net loss to Disney. Given they are not thrilled about DVC members renting out reservations, there is little incentive for them to help here.

This is part of what is wrong with society, although it is certainately factual. This is also the reason that tort reform in the form of liability caps is such a bad idea. Corporate bean counters do not care about peoples losses, whether they are just financial or the loss of life. It is all about the bottom line and the more expensive unethical behavior is to the corporations the better.

Okay, off my soap box now.

I politely disagree with many of you and believe we should be able to limit the use of a credit card if we so choose. It would be my responsibility to make sure that my renter is aware of this situation. If they can't accept it, then go rent from someone else.

Disney's goal should be to HELP prevent fraudulent activity if at all possible but as many of you said Disney does not care as long as it does not effect their bottom line. This comes to no surprise to many.....

I politely disagree with many of you and believe we should be able to limit the use of a credit card if we so choose. It would be my responsibility to make sure that my renter is aware of this situation. If they can't accept it, then go rent from someone else.

Disney's goal should be to HELP prevent fraudulent activity if at all possible but as many of you said Disney does not care as long as it does not effect their bottom line. This comes to no surprise to many.....

You can limit charging privileges as long as you are the one listed on the reservation and are the one checking into the resort providing the credit card. I believe Disney does "HELP" prevent fraudulent activity, but when that does not happen, they still fall back on the agreement they have with DVC and that DVC has with it's members. Someone has to be held responsible and Disney has an agreemnent with DVC that it's members will be the responsible party. If that is an issue, then it would be best not to provide accommodations for others since it's unlikely that Disney will modify it's agreement with DVC.

politely disagree with many of you and believe we should be able to limit the use of a credit card if we so choose.
It turns out that the entity with which you are disagreeing is Disney. And, for the many reasons mentioned so far, they are unlikely to see your point of view.

Famous last words: It is what it is... ;)

Very well said Carol. This is what we have had to say as DVC members a number of times over the last years when dealing with the various "member enhancements" that DVC has so generously provided us with.

Obviously this thread will get us no where except reminding us all that renting is a risk as it relates to outstanding charges and damages and DVC and Disney has NO interest in trying to assist members in preventing them.

It turns out that the entity with which you are disagreeing is Disney. And, for the many reasons mentioned so far, they are unlikely to see your point of view.

Its pretty common when having policy discussions for a bunch of us to argue Disney's point of view. That doesn't necessarily mean that we are "taking Disney's side." Almost no one on this thread who has argued Disney's point of view has said that they would oppose being able to turn off room charges to guests. What most of us try and do is help others see Disney's side of it. Because as Brian says, Disney is unlikely to see your point of view - or frankly even try, but you might gain at least an understanding of why if you try and see their point of view.

Unfortunately - and honestly sometimes fortunately - DVC membership does not entitle us to vote in how Disney and its subsidiaries run their businesses. Or as Carol says "It is what it is."

Its pretty common when having policy discussions for a bunch of us to argue Disney's point of view. That doesn't necessarily mean that we are "taking Disney's side." Almost no one on this thread who has argued Disney's point of view has said that they would oppose being able to turn off room charges to guests. What most of us try and do is help others see Disney's side of it. Because as Brian says, Disney is unlikely to see your point of view - or frankly even try, but you might gain at least an understanding of why if you try and see their point of view.

Unfortunately - and honestly sometimes fortunately - DVC membership does not entitle us to vote in how Disney and its subsidiaries run their businesses. Or as Carol says "It is what it is."

Also, Disney would be seen as the bad guy more than the member. While most good renters would inform their guests what they were doing, it would be Disney at the front desk telling the guest, "I am sorry your member said you aren't allowed to room charge". And most people won't understand the problems that resulted in the ability to do that and will just stand there and argue with the front desk about how they are putting a charge card on the account blah blah blah.....

There really isn't a positive in it for Disney...so no motivation for them to act, until there is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter