Renting DVC points - AKL, BWV or OKW?

disneymoon0606 2.0

Earning My Ears
We're looking into the option of renting DVC points through David's for next fall. It looks like the less expensive options for a two bedroom would be AKL, OKW, and BWV. We're a family of seven (two parents, two grandparents, three kids ages 5-11). I'd love to hear opinions on which of these would be the best fit for us.

Thanks!

Renting points for a 2 BR Standard for the Fall at BWV (least expensive at BWV) is nearly impossible. They are booked by owners at 11 months. You need to consider water/garden view and plan to book 11 months in advance. Fall through the Marathon in January is the busiest time for DVC. It is actually called "Fall Frenzy". Same with AKL Standard view. Standard view Villas seldom are available on the rental market.

We're looking into the option of renting DVC points through David's for next fall. It looks like the less expensive options for a two bedroom would be AKL, OKW, and BWV. We're a family of seven (two parents, two grandparents, three kids ages 5-11). I'd love to hear opinions on which of these would be the best fit for us.

Thanks!
BWV would give everyone a bed without having to open the sofa in the living room. The parents and 3kids could take the studio side, which has a queen bed, a sleeper sofa and a fold-down Murphy bed that the 5-year-old should be comfortable in. Then the grandparents could take the master bedroom in the 1 BR side of the villa. This leaves the living room free for the adults to stay up later after the kids have been put to bed.

AKV Kidani would have 3 bathrooms in a 2-BR villa. Dedicated 2 BR villas will have 2 queen beds in the second bedroom, which can be more comfortable than the sleeper sofas. There is no Murphy bed but a sleeper sofa AND a single sleeper chair are in the living room.

OKW will have 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom, whether it is a dedicated 2 BR or a lockoff. They are also the largest 2 BR villas of those you listed. Another positive is that OKW villas have full-size washers and dryers. The other resorts have stacked, apartment-size w/d units that have limited capacity. No Murphy bed and no sleeper chair but you might be able to squeeze in an air mattress in either bedroom if you want to keep the living room free. OKW is also the most spread out of the resorts you listed. There is an internal bus system but getting toHospitality House, snack bar, restaurant and feature pool can take a while.

One thing that I want to point out - you will have little to no luck booking a BWV standard view 2BR or an AKV Jambo Value 2BR. If you're basing your budget on either of those two, go back and recalculate. OKW near-Hospitality House go first because of location. Of the three resorts, you have your best shot at OKW when renting.

ETA - I just checked your other posts. You want Oct or Nov. That's the height of Fall Frenzy. BWV studios will be snapped up right at 11 months or walked by owners (and all 2 BRs at BWV are a 1BR+studio, so the 2BRs disappear, too). AKV and OKW are larger resorts. AKV Kidani has dedicated 2BR villas but both AKV and OKW tend to book up slower during the fall. I'd skip trying for BWV and hope for AKV Kidani but be prepare to settle for OKW.

Last edited:
Agreeing with PPs. During the Fall months, you should take what you can get without regard to the price differences between resorts. Take solace in the fact that renting points will be cheaper than paying cash, at least. Your best bet at availability with options will be OKW and SSR.

Also, if you are pricing either BWV Standard or AKV Value... Don't. They are rare gets for renters even at 11 months.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I guess I was looking at AKL standard view mostly. Our dates are pretty flexible next fall, but I understand that it’s a busy time for DVC. I was hoping that if we get our request in now before the 11 month window in November then we’d have a decent chance, but maybe that’s unrealistic.

Agreeing with PPs. During the Fall months, you should take what you can get without regard to the price differences between resorts. Take solace in the fact that renting points will be cheaper than paying cash, at least. Your best bet at availability with options will be OKW and SSR.

Price wise, we can’t simply take what’s available. If it’s out of our budget, then it’s out of our budget, and we’ll have to look at booking separate rooms at a value or moderate resort. But thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I guess we didn't paint an optimistic picture. Unfortunately, getting your request in at one of the agencies now is not going to get you ahead of owners who will be booking for themselves and their friends/families right at 11 months or walking reservations to get what they want. It only puts you ahead of other renters that contact the agency after you, who also want the same resort(s) as you. And to top it off, the agency needs to have an owner (at your resort of choice) on record with sufficient points available to secure your rental. It's much more likely to happen at a larger resort, like OKW or SSR where there are a lot of owners, than it is at a small one like BWV or BCV.

I've stayed at all three by renting points. They all have their perks so I guess that how you spend the money depends more on your personal tastes as far as aesthetics go, how much time you want to spend the resort, etc.

I am an animal person, so for me - AKL will always be #1 in my heart. That being said, it is usually the most expensive of the three and it's furthest away from the parks. However, it also has some of the best restaurants on property in Jiko, Boma, and Sanaa, and they offer a TON of on-site activities that cost you nothing to participate in. And if you like that feeling of total seclusion, it won't bother you in the slightest. We had a SV room and they turn the lights off on the savanna at night... it was basically pitch dark and I slept the best I had in, literally, years when we stayed there.

OKW is our go-to resort. It has the cheapest rates but it also has an extremely laid back atmosphere. If you want to lounge by the pool, or at the bar, or spend a fair amount of time in DS, then OKW is the place to go. Plus, Olivia's is a fantastic place to eat! However, we had a lot of issues with the bus service here - They were always 10-15 minutes later than what the monitors said they would be and we would often wait for 30 minutes or longer for a park bus.

BWV was actually the one we enjoyed the least, but that's not to say we wouldn't stay there again. Let me start by saying that the walk to Epcot can not be beat. Hands down, the biggest perk to staying at BWV. They also have a walking path and a boat to DHS but the walk is longer, without much shade, and the boats always seemed to be packed. Epcot is generally where we spend most of our time anyway, so for us it was a perfect location. However, the walks to the rooms can be long (it was a 3 minute walk from the elevator on our floor to our room - which doesn't sound like a long time but when you're exhausted and your feet hurt, it's the longest walk ever). Also, we had asked for a quiet pool room, which would have been perfect because our room was literally over the quiet pool on the DHS side of the resort), except that for some reason there was a landscaping crew down there trimming the hedges at 7am every other day. We stayed there for 5 nights and we saw them three times....Trimming the same hedge. We also had issues with our luggage delivery, and there had been some maintenance items left in the room so they were just sitting in the middle of the floor when we got there. Upon arriving on our first day, I also waited patiently for about 10 minutes at the desk marked "Online Check-In" before someone came over to me and said that I could be helped at the regular Check In desk, but I had to wait at the end of the line which consisted of 4 other families waiting to speak to someone. The resort itself was very nice, but it just wasn't our cup of tea, I guess. I would absolutely stay there again though, just for the proximity to Epcot, especially if you plan to spend a lot of time at the F & W Festival.

Thanks!

I asked essentially the same question recently. It was for 4 adults and 4 children, but still a 2 bedroom at the same resorts. We are budget conscious as well. Of course, the resort we stay in will finally come down to what we are able to actually book. (so OKW may well be the winner. LOL!) We are also looking to rent at a very busy time. :worried:
But it is nice to have an idea of what you would like to request in advance, in case you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to book at the resort of your first choice.

WE decided to try for BLT as our first choice (most convenient to MK, although not originally on our list) and BWV as second choice (proximity to 2 theme parks). Ability to return easily to the resort for meals is the key to our choices. We will also be happy at OKW in one of their huge 2 bedrooms, but transportation will be more problematic if we stay there. We have decided against AKL due to allergy concerns that may be more worrisome at that resort.

My post is titled "confused about where to stay???", in case you would like to have a look at the replies. Sorry that I don't know how to post the link. There is a lot of information about allergies on there, but also good information about the 2 bedrooms that you are considering. It is on the second page in this (Resorts) forum.

Good luck! I hope that you have a magical vacation!!!pixiedust:

BWV hands down. How are the standard views for BW Villas such a good deal?! Im in the opinion that, when using points, BWVs are the absolute best all around value.

Last edited:
BWV hands down. How are the standard views for BW Villas such a good deal?! Im in the opinion that, when using points, BWVs are the absolute best all around value.
BWV standard room points are much lower than the other views, and so are a good bargain. However there aren't that many of them and they are usually reserved by BWV owners right at 11 months so it is hard for a renter to get one.
Denise

BWV standard room points are much lower than the other views, and so are a good bargain. However there aren't that many of them and they are usually reserved by BWV owners right at 11 months so it is hard for a renter to get one.
Denise
Also, every studio booked takes out a 2BR unit at BWV.

As an owner at AKV, I am biased. I have visited or stayed in all of the deluxe resorts and I can tell you honestly that my family LOVES AKV so much that they would prefer not to stay elsewhere. My youngest at 7 years old adores it. And we also own at BLT, which is right next door to MK. There is so much for the kiddos to do at AKV. And the location really lets you feel like you're getting a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. The restaurants are fantastic. If you can spring for it, definitely look at a savanna view room. The 2BR villas at AKV have 3 bathrooms also, which is highly beneficial when staying with a large group (we are a family of 6).

We booked a Standard view 2BR @ AKL (Jambo House) through David's in early October for early August 2019. Just under the 10 month mark. The values were unavailable at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter