• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting points..renting from disney

Blondiex46

Stayin in the park next time 2010
which one is cheaper, better, more beneficial, which ever you want to call it. Just curious, thanks :bride:

As a DVC member, I'd have to tell you to try renting points.....

The accomadations are deluxe....the locations are wonderful......you can save a huge amount off rack rates (assuming you do your homework).......you get a freebie fridge & microwave (in a studio)......You still get room service & valet parking.....The List Goes On & On!!

Just be careful who you rent from & get everything in writing.

I Hope This Helps! :sunny:

Usually Sunday to Thursday is cheaper to rent points than CRO. Friday and Saturday can be cheaper booking through CRO, especially with a discount.

We just go through CRO. No risk in dealing with a stranger that way. We always stay two weekends and we like daily maid service. We also got the Best Rate AP rate this time. By the time I calculate the cost of renting points for two weekends (very pricey!), add in the cost for daily maid service (which we would have to pay extra for if we rented points), consider the risks inherent in dealing with a stranger (though I realize most people have a good experience) and factor in the Best Rate discount -- or today's code rate, we figure it comes out about the same.

Also a DVC member so maybe a little biased...you can get a studio at OKW for $80 (Sun to Thur) a night from a member. I think the rack rate is around $260. This is in an example in the adventure season . You can stay at a very nice deluxe resort for less than a value resort..I find it very hard to believe, even with discounts, you could get any where near that price by calling CRO. I rented points before I became a DVC owner and all the numbers I calculated showed renting was far less $$ than calling Disney direct. Another benefit is that you can make your reservations pretty far ahead..no need to wait for a last minute discount code which may never come.

If you are interested in renting from a member you should go the DVC section of the disboard and read as much as you can on the rent/trade board and then you should be able to make an educated decision on whether renting is right for you. You can also read about the pro and cons of renting on Mouseavers.

PS..daily maid service is over rated, many DVC people actually like the fact that a maid isn't coming into their room everyday.

I agree that the maid service is way overrated and every time I go "Home", I find myself glad that I don't have to rush out of the room in the morning to get out before the mousekeepers arrive...(I don't like telling them to come back)

While they're really cute, IF you get them, I just don't see the coveted towel animals being worth the $$$ difference between renting points and paying cash. (we rented points on several occasions before we became DVC members)

Cheers! :drinking1

Even witha 9 day stay, 4 days of which are weekend days, it's tough to beat renting from a DVC member is cost is the only concern.

That said, everyone has a different value for maid service and not having to deal with renting.

I think NOT having maid service is one of the best features of DVC! i WANT to feel more like that beautiful villa is my HOME, not a hotel. As for the towel animals, you get them at DVC too! our last stay was a week in a 2 br at OKW, we had more animals than ever. Even kitchen towel animals, they were everywhere! :dog2:

If you need to change or cancel your DVC reservation, it is much easier with a reservation through CRO. You will probably sign some sort of contract with a DVC member if they get you a reservation using their points. There can be a lot of penalties for the member if the reservation gets cancelled, especially if they borrowed points to make the reservation.

Provided you cancel at least 31 days in advance, there are no penalties to cancel via DVC unless you have agreed to other conditions in advance. When I rent to others I always say that if they cancel, they have the rest of the year to reuse the points, and if they cancel less than 31 days in advance, they are the ones who have their points in holding. I am the "holding company", so to speak. This all depends upon the individual, and most of us don't use contracts. Even if we do, they are not legal documents, they are agreements between two parties, used so that everyone understands the conditions of the renting of points.

There are no penalties for either party, usually. I have rented for three years, and never had anyone back out after they paid a deposit. :flower:

i have to say renting has been great
i recently rented and it has been easy and great
the gentlemen has been wonderful and he gave us a very fair price
we could not even stay value this cheaply ( only 3 days ) but still its been great and I cant wait to go

think ill be takin the DVC tour when i get there

thanks for the replies. I never get the maid to come into my room no matter where I am DW or the Comfort Inn, I get the stuff myself from the maid and put it in my room, I just don;t want to have to clean up after myself and my kids.

We are going to BWV in 3 weeks, and it is through renting the points. It comes out to $125/nt. and I think the rack rates would have been well over $300. I'm so thankful that DVC members are willing to do this. My transaction was very smooth, and I will never pay rack rates again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter