• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Report horrible service? (this has been resolved)

Thank you so much for posting this. I actually had reservations for coral reef today, even though I’ve heard a million complaints about the food. When I read your post yesterday I cancelled my reservation before the deadline. Bad food and bad service is a combination I think we can skip.

Well I would report it, I have reported bad service in the past and managers have responded quickly. What I do now is take a picture of the waiter/waitress with their name tags clearly visible. That way if I send an email to complain I have the correct name and I also save my copy of every receipt in case I need details. While I did not report this to a manager I did report complain about one meal online and actually got a call back from Disney on it. We were at Rose & Crown eating outside and beside us was a table of 12-16 people all drinking heavily. We got completely ignored while this girl worked this table (I assume for a very large tip). I got a call back with an apology and some vague promise about making it up to us but I did have details the girls name and the time of the meal..

I have been trading emails with Guest Services this afternoon, and they have gifted me with several anytime FP+ for my next trip (which happens to be with my other daughter in July). They wanted to compensate me but I told them I didn't want that, we did eat and mostly enjoy our food so the resturaunt and WDW should not take a financial hit just because one of their employees wasn't bringing their best. I did not expect anything, but I won't complain about a few FP, they are free for the company to hand out after all, doesn't cost them anything. Thanks to everyone who was understanding of the situation and gave good constructive feedback, I really do appreciate it.

That is good news, the anytime FP will definitely come in handy!

This is, I feel, acceptable. Recording the entire encounter, or parts of it, are not.
So true but I also use the pictures to compliment the huge majority of wait staff that does a great job. After a vacation I send off an email complimenting all of the good ones.

So true but I also use the pictures to compliment the huge majority of wait staff that does a great job. After a vacation I send off an email complimenting all of the good ones.
Thats even better. They often hear about the problems, but don't hear as much about the ones that are really good. I like your idea of the photo of the waiter to send with the note for the good ones.

Yes I would report it. Even if you don't have the waiters name, if you give them the date and time of your meal, they will figure it out. Also they could probably look up your name and pull your bill to see who your server was.

Why did you feel the need to point out the ethnicity of this family?

It is actually pertinent, I realize I did not have to include that, but as a white patron many people will yell out that I feel entitled to certain treatment. However, he ignored a woman and her child, a young white couple on their anniversary looking to live it up and actually spend a lot of money, and a very large Asian family. It didn't matter who it was, he was ignoring them, unless they were young and pretty anyway. I am currently studying organization behavior, and as part of that diversity, and you would be surprised how many people need to be told to treat everyone they serve equally. It shouldn't matter, it really shouldn't, but in any service industry (dining, travel, healthcare....) it does matter. Stating someones age, race, and any other factor can show the company that diversity and sensitivity training needs to take place. Obviously that's not the only training he needed to have, but it is important. I felt bad for that family because they did not speak much english and just got sat at a table of probably the worst server in the place, who was going to probably make no effort in understanding them and making their dining experience probably more than a little frustrating.

Even better than an email or in person complaint the phone camera video so prevalant these days.

Nobody especially Disney wants this type of action and no doubt would get you a satisfactory resolution in any case as you have documeted your concerns.

Disney probably places a higher level of concern on phone video complaints as that is actual
proof of what happened as opposed to letters etc.
the phone camera route is not really my style. Also, what better way to make the day harder on my 10 year old than to whip out my phone and start recording? Unless someone is being phsycially harmed or berated I see no reason to resort to the phone camera. I emailed Disney, and they have made it right without the need for video evidence. I have only twice in my life shared picture evidence of bad business practices online to bring a companies actions to the publics attentions; this incident, while bad, was not on that same level so I never felt the need to publicly call them out.

It is actually pertinent, I realize I did not have to include that, but as a white patron many people will yell out that I feel entitled to certain treatment. However, he ignored a woman and her child, a young white couple on their anniversary looking to live it up and actually spend a lot of money, and a very large Asian family. It didn't matter who it was, he was ignoring them, unless they were young and pretty anyway. I am currently studying organization behavior, and as part of that diversity, and you would be surprised how many people need to be told to treat everyone they serve equally. It shouldn't matter, it really shouldn't, but in any service industry (dining, travel, healthcare....) it does matter. Stating someones age, race, and any other factor can show the company that diversity and sensitivity training needs to take place. Obviously that's not the only training he needed to have, but it is important. I felt bad for that family because they did not speak much english and just got sat at a table of probably the worst server in the place, who was going to probably make no effort in understanding them and making their dining experience probably more than a little frustrating.
I did not nor do I actually care what race someone is when they are telling their story with the exception if they felt they were getting subpar service because of their race. It sounds like in your situation it wasn't race it was an all around equal inattentiveness and poor waiting capabilities.

The detail of the race of the other party in the end is a minor detail but your explanation why is interesting. I really don't think your situation merits an indepth cultural diversity review. It does not matter that you're white and the other party was asian. It only matters that the waiter you both were assigned lacked attentiveness. I can see where you would have sympathy towards the other party in that there was a language barrier (though I would only know that if they were stumbling over instructions to their waiter versus just speaking the language to each other).

P.S. I didn't know you were white until you announced it in your above comment and the color of your skin or the ethnicity of other patrons was never a determinination in my original comment to your situation. I think you made your subsequent explanation above about race and ethnicity when in reality it had nothing to do with it. JMO.

apparently the issue is that the server only paid attention to young and attractive persons, not that anyone was being ignored due to their race or ethnicity. don't see this as a need for cultural or diversity training. just a talking to for that server to give equal attention to all their tables.

Also, there wasn't any indication whatsoever in the original post what the OP's racial designation was, which makes sense because it wasn't relevant.

Just to share how a server's actions can "stick" in your brain.
About 33 years ago, our FIRST disney trip. Our 2 1/2 DS was horrible. (I blamed it on airplane air.) We had the gold plan, which included TS. Sitting down with goblets of water, our DS knocks over a glass, water everywhere. I'm in tears. Our server took it very calmly. Came over and said "oh we can just fix this like a leaky tire, we can patch it. He took a few cloth napkins, laid them down. Took care of the mess, no eye rolling, no "when is this family leaving" look. I thought he was being very kind.

About 10 years ago, we had a server at the other end of the spectrum. When you are asked "how are you", the automatic response is "fine, how are you". Well, she was tired. So tired, in fact, later when she checked on us, she decided we needed more details. SHE SAT DOWN WITH US. I had to move a bag for her to sit. We were eating, both DH and I put our forks down, while she told us why she was so tired. It seems her mother needed to move because of a rent hike. So our server was soooo busy helping her and now she too tired to do her job at disney. DH and I were flabbergasted of her actions. I wanted to speak to the manager, DH wanted to finish the meal and get out of there.
Y'all must have looked like sympathetic listeners. She obviously needed someone to talk to and I bet she was glad you listened, even if she didn't realize your discomfort at the situation. you offered her a kindness she needed at the time. :)

I did not nor do I actually care what race someone is when they are telling their story with the exception if they felt they were getting subpar service because of their race. It sounds like in your situation it wasn't race it was an all around equal inattentiveness and poor waiting capabilities.

The detail of the race of the other party in the end is a minor detail but your explanation why is interesting. I really don't think your situation merits an indepth cultural diversity review. It does not matter that you're white and the other party was asian. It only matters that the waiter you both were assigned lacked attentiveness. I can see where you would have sympathy towards the other party in that there was a language barrier (though I would only know that if they were stumbling over instructions to their waiter versus just speaking the language to each other).

P.S. I didn't know you were white until you announced it in your above comment and the color of your skin or the ethnicity of other patrons was never a determinination in my original comment to your situation. I think you made your subsequent explanation above about race and ethnicity when in reality it had nothing to do with it. JMO.

apparently the issue is that the server only paid attention to young and attractive persons, not that anyone was being ignored due to their race or ethnicity. don't see this as a need for cultural or diversity training. just a talking to for that server to give equal attention to all their tables.

Also, there wasn't any indication whatsoever in the original post what the OP's racial designation was, which makes sense because it wasn't relevant.

So sorry that I am such a horrible person for mentioning someones race, goodness people, I swear there are people swarming these boards looking for any reason to pick on people. I apologize that I am not so outstanding as you, I didn't write the way you would have or in a manner you would have, I didn't react to the situation as you would have, and I'm obviously just a nit wit and horrible human being (obviously). Good grief, I just wanted to see if contacting Disney was an over reaction or if anyone else if put in the same situation would contact them. I swear these boards could be amazing if it weren't for people going and nit picking everything that comes out of peoples mouths. I was trying to share details, and obviously left out some that would have made others more valuable, you speak to me as if I mentioned where they were from as some issue with race, it was merely a descriptive factor and I felt for them because they obviously didn't speak much english. That's it. I am an exhausted mother working on her masters degree who just wanted to get opinions on what I should do about an issue that occurred while trying to have a nice short trip with my daughter, who I don't get to spend as much time with because of the school situation! Get off your soap boxes and LEAVE ME ALONE! I don't know if anyone knows this, but you don't have to bully people over every thing they say.

So sorry that I am such a horrible person for mentioning someones race, goodness people, I swear there are people swarming these boards looking for any reason to pick on people. I apologize that I am not so outstanding as you, I didn't write the way you would have or in a manner you would have, I didn't react to the situation as you would have, and I'm obviously just a nit wit and horrible human being (obviously). Good grief, I just wanted to see if contacting Disney was an over reaction or if anyone else if put in the same situation would contact them. I swear these boards could be amazing if it weren't for people going and nit picking everything that comes out of peoples mouths. I was trying to share details, and obviously left out some that would have made others more valuable, you speak to me as if I mentioned where they were from as some issue with race, it was merely a descriptive factor and I felt for them because they obviously didn't speak much english. That's it. I am an exhausted mother working on her masters degree who just wanted to get opinions on what I should do about an issue that occurred while trying to have a nice short trip with my daughter, who I don't get to spend as much time with because of the school situation! Get off your soap boxes and LEAVE ME ALONE! I don't know if anyone knows this, but you don't have to bully people over every thing they say.
Whoa..I think maybe need to take a step back here. You're reading soooo much into something and interjecting things based on well I'm not sure.

You're convinced people would judge you for the color of your skin and think badly of you. I'm saying that I don't care what the color of your skin is; I wouldn't judge you and say you're entitled because you're white-good gravy. I didn't even know the color of your skin nor did I care to know. All I knew is that you got bad service from someone who would rather flirt than do their job.

Now you're interjecting things that I didn't say-I never called you a horrible person. I think what you are studying may be influencing how you view the situation.

Either way breath..and relax..I am not nor was I picking on you and I don't know why you would blow up on me and the other poster like that jeez. I think you would be making a race situation where there was none and it was more your explanation that led me to those thoughts. Nothing you stated in your previous comments made it seem like the waiter was not serving you correctly because you were white and nothing in your previous comments made it seem like the waiter was not serving the other couple because they were asian. All it seemed like is an inattentive server.

NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE!

1. This thread should be closed now because the situation has been resolved and it is spiraling into something that is not necessary and is no longer relevant to the restaurant thread.

2. OP, no need to defend yourself. You mentioned it because you wanted to make it clear that the waiter's actions were for no reason other than physical attraction and the age of the other table. All races, ethnicities, and all types of families (couples, large families, etc.) seemed to have been treated badly. For some reason some people on this board enjoy putting others down when: 1. they either don't agree with what a person does and they think what they would have done is one million times better or 2. they take something out of context and want to blow it up into something unnecessary.

I hope you continue to feel comfortable posting on this board, because not everyone here will do the above. Also I hope this thread stops turning into something completely unrelated to the OP's original question of whether to report bad service or not!

I apologize if people disagree, but I hate to see someone feeling ganged up on when they were originally asking for advice.

I agree...I feel like cringing every time I see this thread come up. It's like people want to attack others just to do it. I'm sorry OP. You didn't do anything wrong....at the restaurant or on here. It's ridiculous.
And I also agree that this thread should be closed as its obviously degraded into picking fights

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter