Reports Dining Plan may be opened to AP holders

So what possibly could be the big deal to allow DVC members to by DDE???? Even at 75 a year, seems like it would be a win-win for everyone. Its bad enough Disney took away the benefit I used (discout PH's) and only offered a discount on AP's, now if I bought the AP, I can get DDE but without I can't!!!! I know were not entitled to anything, but it would be nice!

shellbelle1971 said:
Keishashadow
thanks for that info. I have been wondering about how that would work. Do you have a phone # I can call for a similar question?
407-566-4985, option #2 or www.wdw.ticketinquiries@disneyworld.com .

It took almost 1-1/2 months for me to get a response (and this was with weekly email reminders & occasional phone calls LOL).

Good Luck.

ClarabelleCow said:
So what possibly could be the big deal to allow DVC members to by DDE???? Even at 75 a year, seems like it would be a win-win for everyone. Its bad enough Disney took away the benefit I used (discout PH's) and only offered a discount on AP's, now if I bought the AP, I can get DDE but without I can't!!!! I know were not entitled to anything, but it would be nice!

I never thought about that (we were just so thrilled to finally be AP holders)...it does make sense that DVC members should be able to buy it, just a FL residents do. Have you written anyone about this?

Also...I am not "up" on the benefits/disadvantages of the meal plan (other than hearing numerous people say they wish DVC'er got it). Can dianschlicht (or someone else) lay out who/what type of traveler it might be good for, and who it is not? I think I have a mental block where the meal plan is concerned....maybe because I have NO idea how much money we usually spend on food at WDW :confused3 , but it seems like a lot of money to "lay out" all at once for food. Yet, my guide was telling me the other day, that if DVC'ers could get on the meal plan, it would be the best benefit we have yet received.

Do the vouchers given expire at the end of your trip, or could you use them for future trips? Also, I have read that more and more restaurants are going to "two vouchers" per meal. That makes me a little nervous. I wonder if the benefits of the meal plan could dimish over time?

TIA!

:wave:

Beca

The meal plan is not actual vouchers, they are electronic "credits" on your room key. The "plan" would expire on the day of check-out. You get one counter service, one table service/buffet and 1 snack credit for each night of your stay. The plan includes gratuity. As to whether AP holders and DVCers will get the plan for the same price as "package" guests, I'd guess "No", but we'll have to wait and see the details when/if it becomes available.

Beca, there is a sticky at the top of the Restaurants board that explains the Dining Plan. The credits do expire on the last day of your trip. I believe I read that next year the price/night will be around 39/adult.

Like any other benefit, DDE has to pay off for WDW as well. For so many years it was only available for FL residents presumably as an enticement for them to spend their dining dollars on property. This year when AP holders could buy it as well, WDW must have had reasons why it was made available. Who knows? Maybe it was just as a way of not causing an uproar because we couldn't do the dining plan? At the same time, we as DVC members suddenly got a very nice discount on APs and hence the ability to get DDE as well.

BCV23 said:
Beca, there is a sticky at the top of the Restaurants board that explains the Dining Plan. The credits do expire on the last day of your trip. I believe I read that next year the price/night will be around 39/adult.

Thanks, I'll check into that!! I'll really have to keep track of how much we spend on food this trip. I don't know if we spend $40 per person, per day for food (especially with DDE). DH and I split a lot of meals, but who knows....maybe I am seriously "kidding" myself.

I'm going to really watch what we spend to see if it would work for us.

:wave:

Beca

It is not good news for me if they remove the DDE option. Most likely I would never use the dining plan, and I use DDE quite often. I am probably in the minority,though.

Most Florida residents I know are thoroughly indignant that DDE was offered to non-Floridian annual passholders. Maybe Disney got some complaints.

TDC Nala said:
...(snip).....Most Florida residents I know are thoroughly indignant that DDE was offered to non-Floridian annual passholders. Maybe Disney got some complaints.
Sorry to hear this. Too bad we can't all just be happy when something good happens for other people - especially since that good thing has already been happening for us.

Best wishes -

dianeschlicht said:
I much prefer the DDE discount to the dining plan. I hope this doesn't mean the DDE goes away for DVC/AP holders.
I agree.

We are really enjoying and benefiting from the DDE card.

TDC Nala said:
It is not good news for me if they remove the DDE option. Most likely I would never use the dining plan, and I use DDE quite often. I am probably in the minority,though.

Most Florida residents I know are thoroughly indignant that DDE was offered to non-Floridian annual passholders. Maybe Disney got some complaints.

That's strange. Why would they care who else has a discount?

TDC Nala said:
Most Florida residents I know are thoroughly indignant that DDE was offered to non-Floridian annual passholders.

WHY? :confused3 :confused3

What's wrong with offering it to others that are willing to pay for it?

They see it as an unfair extension of one of the few perks that were still available exclusively to Florida residents.

I don't get it myself except for the fact that annual passholders paid a lower rate for entry than Florida residents do. If they worried that more spaces would be taken up for restaurant ADRs, I think the dining plan has had a lot to do with that.

Of course, I also believe that DDE was offered to annual passholders to help defray any protest we might make regarding the fact that we are not eligible to purchase the dining plan (that is, unless we book a package with a one day ticket option).

TDC Nala} [B said:
"If they worried that more spaces would be taken up for restaurant ADRs, I think that the dining plan has had a lot to do with that."[/B]

Yep. I believe this to be true.....I mean that the dining plan has a lot to do with possibly making it somewhat more difficult getting an ADR. ( As for what FL DDE members think...I have no idea.)

Just my own story proves that. I never went to a sitdown restaurant in years of going to WDW. I just couldn't afford to do that and go to WDW at the time.

In September I stayed at POP with the "free" dining and was all over the place in Disney's table service restaurants. And it was a nice change/break.

We have since gotten the money together, yeah, to buy DVC. So once again I will not be making any ADRs. I don't forsee making any ADRs unless I was on the dining plan. And quite frankly I enjoyed the plan b/c it was "free" at the time and had its perks but absolutely hated being scheduled so I doubt I would purchase it out of pocket.

I bought the DDE but I am thinking that wasn't too smart since I don't usually do sitdowns (more of a total $ discount I mean) but we'll see if I manage to break even at least. Hopefully.

Got the DDE card when DH and I had solo trip in Sept. Didn't break even on that trip but hope to on one next Sept. We did get discount at Tusker House in AK and the lounge next to O"Hana's in the Poly so found there are options that don't require ADRs and totally table service meals. Maybe if we get a good SWA rate we'll even get in another trip before Sept 2006.

All the lounges accept it (athough some people report problems at the AKL) and I think all the lounges offer some food. There are also a number of resort restaurants that you can get usually into without an AR.

This is funny to me as we've seen many a DVC member on this site post that they were upset about non members getting member DVC perks even though it didn't cost the members anything other than the loss of exclusivity.

Dean said:
This is funny to me as we've seen many a DVC member on this site post that they were upset about non members getting member DVC perks even though it didn't cost the members anything other than the loss of exclusivity.

Ironic indeed. ;)

I don't remember such issues though. Do you remember some examples?

I think the concern was mostly about people getting DVC perks when renting points even though they weren't actually members.

It doesn't bother me that they get the perks. I just to for anyone to think they're getting away with something. :snooty:

TDC Nala said:

Sorry, I have had the DDE Membership for many years, am a Florida resident, DVC Member and a Seasonal AP holder. My DDE was $50.00 renewal, I could care less who they offer the DDE membership to. I have even posted many times to other AP holders that they should in fact purchase a DDE. I also think this would be a great perk for DVC members.

MOST Floridians don't even know about DDE let alone care who can purchase them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter