Reports Dining Plan may be opened to AP holders

BCV23 said:
I don't remember such issues though. Do you remember some examples?
Not much for specific threads off hand. But there have been several threads and tangents of threads where people talked about being a member of an exclusive club, were upset that renters or exchangers got perks that they technically should not have, a couple about FL resident perks vs not, the "Mousesavers bash DVC thread", all come to mind. I have personally posted "rebuttals" on at least 2 occasions specifically stating that if someone else gets a perk or discount, that does not harm anyone else who formerly had the perk in a more exclusive group. Remember that most of these perks cost DVC and the members nothing.

I believe the thread for a few years ago about a Pop Century DVC option contained a few barbs along this line as well. And within DVC, there is rivalry from the members of different resorts, see the various threads related to SSR particularly over the past year.

Thanks for the responses, Dean and Erik.

I have certainly seen the silly rivalries including some pretty funny ones when Richyams would drive some people bonkers. :rotfl2: Unfortunately I've also seen people blasted when they didn't care for one resort or another. :sad1:

But I've missed most of the other things you mention.

The posts that really used to get to me were the entitlement posts. "We belong to DVC therefore we deserve.....!" I haven't seen many of those lately. Maybe it is selective reading though. ;)

Has anyone done some analysis on the dining plan and DDE to see how they compare under various scenarios? It would be nice to see something for our discussions on the topic.

JimC said:
Has anyone done some analysis on the dining plan and DDE to see how they compare under various scenarios? It would be nice to see something for our discussions on the topic.
I have to a degree and have posted about them. It's really pretty simple in my eyes. Given that you need to get the meal plan for everyone in your party for the entire LOS and the price will be $38 per person per day in 2006, there are relatively limited scenarios where it will save one money. The main situations where it may be a good deal are the following:
  • Shorter trips around the 3-4 day minimum (studies have shown that people eat less after about 3 days of this type of plan).
  • A chance to pig out for a controlled amount.
  • When a significant portion of your group are kids in Disney's eye's but will still be eaters.
  • If you chose the most expensive non Signauture locations and the more expensive entree choices.
  • Multiple resort stays where you are only buying the plan for a portion of your trip and can therefore get essentially an extra day to use the option.
  • Situations where there is a larger group but not everyone will get the meal plan such as more than one room for the party.
With many choices and a little planning plus the DDE, it's easy to do two sit down restaurants per day (including signature restaurants) for the price of the meal plan. Or to do the same site choices as the meal plan for significantly less. Even without the DDE, it's not difficult to come in under the charges of this program. But anyone should look at their specific choices and style and decide what's best for them. IMO, this type of plan needs to save you a full 20% over other less restrictive choices. What happens if some get ill and aren't interested or able to eat for example.

Dean said:
[*]A chance to pig out for a controlled amount.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Thanks Dean - just what I need to help me control my weight :)

Seriously, it is helpful as I have not really looked at the meal plan offered by Disney and the information is useful to those thinking about the options.

I am still of the mind that it would be great to have it available to those members who feel it would meet their needs. I doubt it would hurt WDW or DVC to offer it to members.

JimC said:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Thanks Dean - just what I need to help me control my weight :)

Seriously, it is helpful as I have not really looked at the meal plan offered by Disney and the information is useful to those thinking about the options.

I am still of the mind that it would be great to have it available to those members who feel it would meet their needs. I doubt it would hurt WDW or DVC to offer it to members.
I am generally of the mind that it's good to have choices, even if they are not choices that seem like they would help me. That's especially true if they are no cost options like this would be. DVC has no control over whether this will be offered, I will believe it when I see it. I think the best way for many people to evaluate these choices, esp DVC or other regular Disney visitors, is to take their usual restaurants and the menu's available and see exactly how it would fit in with your usual choices. We are not big eaters and my calculations suggest I can eat at the same places and get everything my wife and I want for about half the 2005 cost of this plan, using the DDE.

The main problem with this plan is that there is a good chance only one choice will be offered long term to any one group. If other special groups are offered this choice (AP, DVC, etc); it's likely other choices (DDE) will be eliminated for new purchases. I think the DDE is a much better choice for many DVC members but your mileage may vary of course.

We like the flexibility of DDE. I hope it does not go away.

At SW the passholders get an easy to understand and use discount at restaurants and shopping. Wish Disney would do the same.

JimC said:
At SW the passholders get an easy to understand and use discount at restaurants and shopping. Wish Disney would do the same.
I haven't seen the Sea World pass info but have the Universal and Disney and find them to be about the same level of information and complexity as well as size in my wallet. I think one of the reasons Disney's may be a little more difficult is it's simply a larger system with multiple locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter