Resort Change by Disney

If the Skyliner isn't open I am not sure why I am holding on to my Riviera reservation.
We have a reservation at CBR and if teh Skyliner is not running then that is a guaranteed cancellation for us - unless they move us to a Deluxe ;) But I really think that the Skyliner will open, the buses will be a nightmare if there are no other options for transportation.

edit - although now that I think about it cleaning the Skyliner buckets will not be easy throughout the day.

We have a reservation at POR starting July 11, 2020 we were cancelled in March. I am so nervous we will be cancelled instead of being moved to a different resort. I just pray we are moved and not cancelled.

As I said Disney opening is highly complicated and things can change ... but if what I was told is correct, it won't open so hold that Universal reservation.

Well, if you have any insight as to what is going on at Riviera, I sure would appreciate it. On Monday, Disney pulled back all DVC availability from July 15 to Aug 15. Given mid-August is beyond the 60 day window for Disney to convert DVC availability to cash, I can only assume this availability is going to be offered to relocated DVC guests?

I am a Riviera owner with a points stay at Poly 7/13-7/17 and a Riviera cash stay 7/17-7/24. If I’m going to get the boot from the Riviera, I need to know soon so I can figure out what to do with my points stay. And to think that I was originally supposed to leave in a week for my “welcome home” trip at Aulani!

DISCLAIMER: This is information just to keep in mind and is fluid with so much for Disney to coordinate. It came from an inside source this week. Things could happen this way or not; but this is what they've been told most recently.

We all know the DVC and campground will be opening first. They were told that when Disney begins to open it will be Deluxe resorts only minus one. Moderates and Values will not open at the beginning - this would be why the information about moving guests. It gets further complicated as they are looking at each individual reservation ... and guests will be handled individually, so what you hear happens to someone else might not happen to you. They said some may get moved, some may get cancelled.

In resorts, obviously there will be lots of operational changes to reduce guest/CM interactions.

Yes, discussion is that CSR will be reserved for two sports leagues but that is still in negotiations. With values and moderates closed, so will be the skyliner, for now. No boats from resorts to parks; they will use monorail or buses or walk. This is to avoid close quarters and constant sanitizing. Ferry boat will operate to MK and sounds like non-Disney guests will not be using monorail to MK reserving for guests. Boats will be used for FW and WL. I suppose not using for monorail resorts gives them more boats for those resorts, carrying less people.

AGAIN, this was shared by someone inside, who works resorts and has been there for years. Plans are ever evolving and changing. I share it because if I were booked I would want to be prepared for just about anything happening. What was shared seemed so, wow, but made sense and I can't blame them for wanting to open safe, and the best way financially.
I wonder how they decide who gets cancelled and who don’t?

Remember, this recalled list is for the June 22nd open which is only DVC and FW. Of course they wouldn't have anything at YC for food and no other resorts called back because there is no DVC there. These people are not being called back until a week before opening. I have a feeling there will be another list of resort staff call back at the end of June for the July 11th opening.

What I was sharing is coming from insider who works resorts side. Information was shared earlier this week. I was not comfortable posting until Disney began call backs.

The release of the union call backs only verifies some of first openings. I'm sure there will be another call back, even in the same exact categories in time for July openings.

Well, if you have any insight as to what is going on at Riviera, I sure would appreciate it. On Monday, Disney pulled back all DVC availability from July 15 to Aug 15. Given mid-August is beyond the 60 day window for Disney to convert DVC availability to cash, I can only assume this availability is going to be offered to relocated DVC guests?

I am a Riviera owner with a points stay at Poly 7/13-7/17 and a Riviera cash stay 7/17-7/24. If I’m going to get the boot from the Riviera, I need to know soon so I can figure out what to do with my points stay. And to think that I was originally supposed to leave in a week for my “welcome home” trip at Aulani!

I don't have info on the specific resorts other than the names and what they expect to open in July. But as I posted above, the unions are calling back Riviera CMs so looks like it will reopen on time.

I wonder how they decide who gets cancelled and who don’t?

Variety of things, told me a few they may be looking at AND it's really nothing a guest can do to change their "guidelines". Hopefully with enough cancellations they can make it work for most of the guests holding their reservations. And who knows if there are enough to make it feasible to work, they might open more resorts.

Again this is the initial plan, as with everything am sure they will adjust if they feel it is safe and economical. We have to remember with the parks and restaurants at greatly reduced capacity, so they have to reduce hotel capacity ... because I don't think they want to scare off-site day guests totally ... because they have another option out there with Universal etc. Disney depends on off-site guests considerably so they don't want to make that a PR problem and burn themselves long term.

I feel as if CBR, POP/AOA/ riveria will be open skyliner is the easiest form of transportation to socially distance.
We have a reservation at CBR and if teh Skyliner is not running then that is a guaranteed cancellation for us - unless they move us to a Deluxe ;) But I really think that the Skyliner will open, the buses will be a nightmare if there are no other options for transportation.

edit - although now that I think about it cleaning the Skyliner buckets will not be easy throughout the day.

What I was told is that they plan for values and moderates to be closed when WDW opens, so the only one impacted by skyliner is Riviera. But you are correct, the cleaning of the buckets between guests with the level of sanitation requirements would be a chore.

Monorail is best option for monorail resorts, with less cars making it easier to sanitize. Limiting the use of any boats works with social distancing and again sanitizing after each run. If you don't open value or moderate you have lots more buses to use for all the other resorts with social distancing then spray after each run. Trams are outdoors and can load every other row.

AGAIN this is information coming from an inside person working the resorts side and what they have been told is on the table right now. Their job interfaces with all resorts so having an understanding of how their job is impacted is what is at play. Everything Disney has done is lined up with this .... holding off on any further reservations and some getting hotel changes. Its a big puzzle to work out to safely fill some hotels, reducing operating costs resort wide including transportation.

Consider this a "rumor" from within based on what they are being told to be prepared for at this moment. I posted here because I know so many are talking about the potential impact to their stay and just sharing because I would rather go in with some idea of what it might be. If it's better than this, great, but I'd rather not be blind sighted, something Disney does do and hopes for forgiveness later. I am sure Disney is doing everything it can to be as fully operational as it feels is safe and doesn't cause a daily bleed of money. Nobody wants the opening to fail.

Last edited:
What I was sharing is coming from insider who works resorts side. Information was shared earlier this week. I was not comfortable posting until Disney began call backs.

The release of the union call backs only verifies some of first openings. I'm sure there will be another call back, even in the same exact categories in time for July openings.

I don't have info on the specific resorts other than the names and what they expect to open in July. But as I posted above, the unions are calling back Riviera CMs so looks like it will reopen on time.

Variety of things, told me a few they may be looking at AND it's really nothing a guest can do to change their "guidelines". Hopefully with enough cancellations they can make it work for most of the guests holding their reservations. And who knows if there are enough to make it feasible to work, they might open more resorts.

Again this is the initial plan, as with everything am sure they will adjust if they feel it is safe and economical. We have to remember with the parks and restaurants at greatly reduced capacity, so they have to reduce hotel capacity ... because I don't think they want to scare off-site day guests totally ... because they have another option out there with Universal etc. Disney depends on off-site guests considerably so they don't want to make that a PR problem and burn themselves long term.

What I was told is that they plan for values and moderates to be closed when WDW opens, so the only one impacted by skyliner is Riviera. But you are correct, the cleaning of the buckets between guests with the level of sanitation requirements would be a chore.

Monorail is best option for monorail resorts, with less cars making it easier to sanitize. Limiting the use of any boats works with social distancing and again sanitizing after each run. If you don't open value or moderate you have lots more buses to use for all the other resorts with social distancing then spray after each run. Trams are outdoors and can load every other row.

AGAIN this is information coming from an inside person working the resorts side and what they have been told is on the table right now. Their job interfaces with all resorts so having an understanding of how their job is impacted is what is at play. Everything Disney has done is lined up with this .... holding off on any further reservations and some getting hotel changes. Its a big puzzle to work out to safely fill some hotels, reducing operating costs resort wide including transportation.

Consider this a "rumor" from within based on what they are being told to be prepared for at this moment. I posted here because I know so many are talking about the potential impact to their stay and just sharing because I would rather go in with some idea of what it might be. If it's better than this, great, but I'd rather not be blind sighted, something Disney does do and hopes for forgiveness later. I am sure Disney is doing everything it can to be as fully operational as it feels is safe and doesn't cause a daily bleed of money. Nobody wants the opening to fail.
Thanks for all the information. This helps with a lot of questions and wondering. It sounds like we will just have to wait to see if we stay or are cancelled for those staying in the moderates and values. It does make sense though.

Sorry if this seems redundant, but from the info you've been given, if someone has a reservation at a deluxe that isn't YC, are the chances pretty good they will not be canceled?

Thanks for all the information. This helps with a lot of questions and wondering. It sounds like we will just have to wait to see if we stay or are cancelled for those staying in the moderates and values. It does make sense though.

Normally I don't post things I am told AND we all know that Disney is working each day at a time, things can and will change and nothing they are putting together now is set in stone. I think the first they had to do was cancel all the other stuff that can't work with the upcoming capacity changes.

Yeah it is a wait and see because it isn't this or that. There might be a way to open more resorts if they think they can handle the park capacity - and not lose money in resorts. I feel bad for those wondering but I guess we've all been doing that daily in all other parts of our life, I know we have. I was going to be in Disneyland this week :sad:

Personal opinion ~ they need to give those folks reserved to arrive the week of opening at least 30 days notice if they are going to cancel them in case they have plane tickets to deal with. Maybe we will begin to hear more things are actually happening next week.

Sorry if this seems redundant, but from the info you've been given, if someone has a reservation at a deluxe that isn't YC, are the chances pretty good they will not be canceled?

I wasn't given any information on how they are handling reservations at hotels that are open. Makes sense to me that those should not change.

Again, if they have enough non-cancel reservations and they think they can maybe they keep more resorts open, maybe they will .... but then you have park capacity? and transport problems. I don't envy those trying to create the game plan.

Not to keep repeating myself but in case someone jumps in at this point ... this is "rumor" via an insider who works the resort side based on what they have been told in anticipation of opening. They interact with all resorts so are getting told plans of the day for going forward.

Well hopefully this is initial info for mid July opening. I would hate for end of August/Sept for cancellations. More specifically I'm at the pop. I would hate to be cancelled since it's a value,. And not an expensive resort.

Some unsolicited advice for all:

I think the most important thing to do with this information is nothing. As @HopperFan said, it can change, and knowing Disney, likely will change in some way.

Also, and I can't scream this loudly enough: MAKE THEM CANCEL YOU. You will almost certainly get nothing if you cancel, and there is a reasonable chance that they will make some sort of guest recovery offer if they have to cancel your vacation.

Finally, the plans for day 1 will likely be changed on the fly about 100 times. So if your vacation is in September or later like mine, just hang on.

Normally I don't post things I am told AND we all know that Disney is working each day at a time, things can and will change and nothing they are putting together now is set in stone. I think the first they had to do was cancel all the other stuff that can't work with the upcoming capacity changes.

Yeah it is a wait and see because it isn't this or that. There might be a way to open more resorts if they think they can handle the park capacity - and not lose money in resorts. I feel bad for those wondering but I guess we've all been doing that daily in all other parts of our life, I know we have. I was going to be in Disneyland this week :sad:

Personal opinion ~ they need to give those folks reserved to arrive the week of opening at least 30 days notice if they are going to cancel them in case they have plane tickets to deal with. Maybe we will begin to hear more things are actually happening next week.

I wasn't given any information on how they are handling reservations at hotels that are open. Makes sense to me that those should not change.

Again, if they have enough non-cancel reservations and they think they can maybe they keep more resorts open, maybe they will .... but then you have park capacity? and transport problems. I don't envy those trying to create the game plan.

Not to keep repeating myself but in case someone jumps in at this point ... this is "rumor" via an insider who works the resort side based on what they have been told in anticipation of opening. They interact with all resorts so are getting told plans of the day for going forward.

Thank you for your insight HopperFan! I agree with you - I so hope they give people enough notice so they can expeditiously deal with the other non-Disney components of their vacations if need be. I'm sorry you are missing your DL trip :(

Some unsolicited advice for all:

I think the most important thing to do with this information is nothing. As @HopperFan said, it can change, and knowing Disney, likely will change in some way.

Also, and I can't scream this loudly enough: MAKE THEM CANCEL YOU. You will almost certainly get nothing if you cancel, and there is a reasonable chance that they will make some sort of guest recovery offer if they have to cancel your vacation.

Finally, the plans for day 1 will likely be changed on the fly about 100 times. So if your vacation is in September or later like mine, just hang on.
Thanks made me feel better. Don't you love 2020.

A friend of mine was just contacted (3 CST give or take) by DW and told they are being moved from their booked CBR room (arriving on July 17th) to another DVC Resort. The person on the phone specifically stated it was due to the NBA coming in. I thought "hmmmmm" so googled NBA Disney World and see that the NBA owners just voted to start the season at DW July 31st.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was just contacted (3 CST give or take) by DW and told they are being moved from their booked Value resort (arriving on July 17th) to DVC Resort. The person on the phone specifically stated it was due to the NBA coming in. I thought "hmmmmm" so googled NBA Disney World and see that the NBA owners just voted to start the season at DW July 31st.
Do you know if they were notified by phone or email?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter