Rhine Cruise....explain the boarding process to me!!

CrazyZeus1

Matching Shirts Rock!
OK, we have 2 prenights on our own at a random hotel in Amsterdam. WHAT is the boarding process for the Rhine? Where do we meet? Do we have airport transfers like normal? We always do our own prenights and have ABD pick us up but now I'm hearing no? I'm so confused!

ABD does not provide transfers to the port of booking a hotel other than the one they use. Guests not staying at the hotel are not allowed entry even into the lobby due to size and security issues, so you will have to meet them directly at the port. You will receive documentation approx 30 days prior to Adventure date with more details. No transporation provided at end of trip, either.
Definitely good questions for your new TA ;)

ABD does not provide transfers to the port of booking a hotel other than the one they use. Guests not staying at the hotel are not allowed entry even into the lobby due to size and security issues, so you will have to meet them directly at the port. You will receive documentation approx 30 days prior to Adventure date with more details. No transporation provided at end of trip, either.
They don't transfer you to the airport at the end of your cruise??? That seems pretty ridiculous to me!

Sayhello

That's what they told me, I have friends taking the trip next year and it was very different than any of the other of the trips they've taken.
Note: Not sure if it makes a difference on ending point. This is for one of the Beauty & the Beast sailings.

My TA is calling again to check, but she was told yesterday that they DO have transport after the cruise.

FWIW, we've done 11 ABDs and have a great TA who is getting answers for me. I was just curious if anyone has been on the Rhine and had input.

It's definitely different than the Danube we did!

FWIW, we've done 11 ABDs and have a great TA who is getting answers for me. I was just curious if anyone has been on the Rhine and had input.

It's definitely different than the Danube we did!
That's for sure! In many ways!

Sayhello

We where on the July 1st and what you heard is not true. First, Disney will transport you from the Radisson Blu to the ship wether you stay there or not. You do need to get to the Radisson Blu, but after that they treat you just like they would if you stayed there. You just tell them your name and they check on their list. There is no area they won't let you into. It is just a hotel lobby where the guides are available starting at 9am on day of departure. They accept luggage starting then and label it for delivery to the ship. Buses leave at noon or 2pm for passengers. They pick up at the airport if you stay at the Radisson Blu and book through them. Our daughter got transport even booking Radisson Blu on her own because Kevin at Dreams Unlimited got Disney to agree to do it. After, the cruise they help everyone get luggage off the ship and will transport you to the airport based on departure time. You have to be off the ship by 9am. Departures where as early as 5:00am.

We where on the July 1st and what you heard is not true. First, Disney will transport you from the Radisson Blu to the ship wether you stay there or not. You do need to get to the Radisson Blu, but after that they treat you just like they would if you stayed there. You just tell them your name and they check on their list. There is no area they won't let you into. It is just a hotel lobby where the guides are available starting at 9am on day of departure. They accept luggage starting then and label it for delivery to the ship. Buses leave at noon or 2pm for passengers. They pick up at the airport if you stay at the Radisson Blu and book through them. Our daughter got transport even booking Radisson Blu on her own because Kevin at Dreams Unlimited got Disney to agree to do it. After, the cruise they help everyone get luggage off the ship and will transport you to the airport based on departure time. You have to be off the ship by 9am. Departures where as early as 5:00am.
THANK YOU!!!!!

That's what they told me, I have friends taking the trip next year and it was very different than any of the other of the trips they've taken.
Note: Not sure if it makes a difference on ending point. This is for one of the Beauty & the Beast sailings.

I know you were trying to be helpful, but all.of your misinformation put us into a tizzy. :/

Confirming this was our experience as well. We had booked Radisson Blu on our own and a call to ABD got us on the hotel to ship transfer. I would add that although you have to be out of the stateroom by 9am at cruise end they let you stay in the lounge until airport transfer time (11:30am in our case). We actually left ship to visit Amsterdam and came back on to wait for our transfer bus.

Confirming this was our experience as well. We had booked Radisson Blu on our own and a call to ABD got us on the hotel to ship transfer. I would add that although you have to be out of the stateroom by 9am at cruise end they let you stay in the lounge until airport transfer time (11:30am in our case). We actually left ship to visit Amsterdam and came back on to wait for our transfer bus.
Thanks!!!

Danielle told you No? Two people above have already said they were picked up?
Correct, Danielle told me no. She's also the one who said you can't get transfers to the port if you do not book pre-stays through ABD due to security measures. So unless this is something new rolling out for future cruises??
I don't work for ABD, just repeating the info provided.

Correct, Danielle told me no. She's also the one who said you can't get transfers to the port if you do not book pre-stays through ABD due to security measures. So unless this is something new rolling out for future cruises??
We have confirmed airport pick ups for transfer to the ship directly. We are staying on our own at the airport Sheraton, and we are to meet AND in the airport arrivals hall at the time we requested. It's all confirmed and on our reservation.

Confirmed again by ABD that there are transfers after the trip.

Confirmed again by ABD that there are transfers after the trip.

I just did the Danube and I was impressed how they handled the transfers after the trip. There were multiple buses. Some went to the airport at different times, some went to the city, etc. You had to be out of the room by 9am but they encouraged you to leave your bags with them. They also said you could hang out in the lounge for as long as you wanted.

Are you leaving and going to a train station? That is the only reason you wouldn't have a transfer...ABD does not take you to the train station. It's actually kind of not so good to put Danielle's name out there saying she's told you wrong info... my TA just called me back *again* to let me know she got specific clarification and the train station is the only exception to them taking you somewhere after the cruise.

Are you leaving and going to a train station? That is the only reason you wouldn't have a transfer...ABD does not take you to the train station. It's actually kind of not so good to put Danielle's name out there saying she's told you wrong info... my TA just called me back *again* to let me know she got specific clarification and the train station is the only exception to them taking you somewhere after the cruise.

Just FYI...the riverboats dock very near the train station in Amsterdam, so you wouldn't need a transfer anyway.

We took a train to Basel (from Zurich). From the train station we took a cab directly to the ship (cost was 13 Euros); it was super easy (my TA told us what docks the ship could be at and our cab driver had no issue finding it right away). We got to the ship around 11:30am. We left our bags with them and walked (around 10 minutes) to the Old Town of Basel for lunch and to wander around (it is a lovely place to spend a few hours).

When we arrived at the ship it was practically empty, which was nice. And if you have to take a cab to the Radisson Blu, why not just get a cab to the ship? Just a thought!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter