Ride differences between DL and WDW

We are back from our first ever trip to Disneyland. We only had one day and we didn't buy Genie+. We stayed at Howard Johnson, which was actually very convenient. It was also a short walk from HoJo to park entrance. Because of that, lines got very long after noon and we weren't able to do a lot of rides.

We were very impressed with Pirates and Indianna Jones. The standby line for Mickey and Minnie RR was 100 times better than in WDW. TSM seemed identical to us. The railroad and monorail are much better at WDW. We missed the PeopleMover. ;)

CarsLand and Pixar Place looked fantastic at night. It was just about the best part of California Adventure. We enjoyed World of Color.

Overall, I liked having so many trees and plenty of places to eat at DL. We were often lost, though, and had to ask people for directions, even though we had a paper map. I'm glad we went there but I'm not sure we will ever be back.
Thanks for posting! DD and I are trading our annual YC trip this summer for a first ever Disneyland trip. I was wondering what your thoughts were about DL. We are staying at the Westin and may regret that due to the long walk to the entrance. We are getting excited!

Thanks for posting! DD and I are trading our annual YC trip this summer for a first ever Disneyland trip. I was wondering what your thoughts were about DL. We are staying at the Westin and may regret that due to the long walk to the entrance. We are getting excited!
How many days are you planning to be at DL? We only had one day and it wasn't enough. The lines were too long later in the day to do a lot of rides. Our hotel was only a 7 minute walk to the park, which was nice. There are several resorts on Harbor Blvd that are across from the park entrance.

I think the hardest part for us, besides having just one day, was figuring out where all the rides were. For example, Mickey's Philharmonic was in California Adventure instead of DisneyLand's Fantasy Land, like it is in WDW's Fantasy Land. A lot of people had purchased Genie+, so the Lightening Lanes lines were really long later in the day. But they were probably still shorter than the standby lines. There weren't enough signs for us. When we exited the park at closing time, we didn't know if our hotel was to the right or to the left until we walked the wrong way for a minute or two. :)

The Disneyland trip was more of a "let's do all the rides" trip whereas a WDW trip is a "let's have a relaxing time and do some rides in the morning and fireworks at night" trip. :) But what we did was a lot of fun. There are some really nice rides. I wish WDW would make some of the rides like Pirates more interesting. :)

How many days are you planning to be at DL? We only had one day and it wasn't enough. The lines were too long later in the day to do a lot of rides. Our hotel was only a 7 minute walk to the park, which was nice. There are several resorts on Harbor Blvd that are across from the park entrance.

I think the hardest part for us, besides having just one day, was figuring out where all the rides were. For example, Mickey's Philharmonic was in California Adventure instead of DisneyLand's Fantasy Land, like it is in WDW's Fantasy Land. A lot of people had purchased Genie+, so the Lightening Lanes lines were really long later in the day. But they were probably still shorter than the standby lines. There weren't enough signs for us. When we exited the park at closing time, we didn't know if our hotel was to the right or to the left until we walked the wrong way for a minute or two. :)

The Disneyland trip was more of a "let's do all the rides" trip whereas a WDW trip is a "let's have a relaxing time and do some rides in the morning and fireworks at night" trip. :) But what we did was a lot of fun. There are some really nice rides. I wish WDW would make some of the rides like Pirates more interesting. :)

It can definitely be weird for a WDW vet at DLR for the first time. I remember thinking about it as "Bizarro World" - almost the same, but not quite. It's like, "Why is Big Thunder on the wrong side of the river?" The trickiest thing was finding restrooms - "There's should be one right...here?" Nope! 🤣 I really appreciate the differeces though - it makes both resorts worth visiting.

I really appreciate the differeces though - it makes both resorts worth visiting.
I am really glad that we went to DL and CA. Carlsland and Pixar Pier are amazing at night. I now have a better understanding of what people are talking about when they refer to DL or WDW. :)

Last edited:

Hi all we will be going to DL for two days before heading off to WDW for two weeks.

Just wondering what were the rides that are different or not present at WDW that we should be focusing on noting we only have two days so one day per park.

Thanks
Pirates of the Caribbean, Its a Small world are longer in DL, the train at the entrance of the park is also different in DL. Haunted Mansion in my opinion is better in DL. Just to name a few.

We will have 3 full park days with G+. I keep watching videos, reading posts, and taking notes. I want to make the most out of our trip since who knows when we will be back. I wonder how many times I will get lost. :) I am sure this will be a "how much fun can we jam into three days" trip. Even at WDW, I ALWAYS tell DD that our next trip will be a relaxing one. Who am I kidding??? I can't control myself and keep packing as much into each day as I can.

I am glad you had a good day! Thanks for so much for sharing!!

Hmm, exactly two months from now I might just be trying those lobster nachos at Lamplight Lounge. . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter