RideMax or not?

mAlien13

Down with Disney
I have some questions about RideMax. Mainly, I am curious what people's experience using it has been. Also, does it allow for other aspects of the parks other than the rides and shows? Some of the little nooks and crannies are the best parts of DL imo. So, obviously, if it gives you the best plan to work around wait times ect., you could always modify as you go to see these things, but does a few minutes here and there signifigantly alter the effectivness of the plan in anyone's opinion?
Thanks in advance for your help, everyone. :goodvibes

I was looking at this the other day. I have the same questions as you. Hopefully someone here has had experience with this software.

We used it in Oct. The plan is a great way to get in the most rides. It does make it a little harder to stop and enjoy little things as they come up. I recomend using it for one day of your trip, maybe two if its a longer trip- then the rest of the days just take things as they come.

The plan has two settings- a slower pace for those with kids or older people, and a faster one for people that know their way around and dont mind going faster. Pick the one that works for your party.

The plan will show you which rides / times you need to be mindful of. Some really matter and if you get there 15 minutes late you may have a huge line. Other rides dont matter so much. If you get off the schedule, just skip some things and try to get back on track.

NOT - just wing it and enjoy the things you want to do, when you want to do them. Scope out the park maps ahead of time and plan your days accordingly, so you aren't running from one side of the park to the other. And remember the train that goes around perimeter of the park is a great way to rest and move to your next destination at the same time!

I haven't used RideMax but have followed the plan from the Unofficial Guide, and loved it. We did more AND relaxed more following the plan than we did every time we just winged it (which usually meant we were wandering a lot, skipping rides because of long lines, and ending up not doing as much as we would have liked, even though we know the parks very well). On a week long trip, we use the plan for two or three days, then go at a relaxed pace the other days and take more time for the little things. It works well for us!

TSRE said:
I haven't used RideMax but have followed the plan from the Unofficial Guide, and loved it. We did more AND relaxed more following the plan than we did every time we just winged it (which usually meant we were wandering a lot, skipping rides because of long lines, and ending up not doing as much as we would have liked, even though we know the parks very well). On a week long trip, we use the plan for two or three days, then go at a relaxed pace the other days and take more time for the little things. It works well for us!
I am a big fan of Unofficial...I've always used it to plan our days at WDW. It is not quite as specific in the California version, so I am so happy to hear someone rave the plans from it! :goodvibes I was wondering if RideMax is basically the same as the software they use for Unofficial...has anyone ever compared the two?
Also, Chickysmom brings up a good point...sometimes it is great to just go with the flow...but we are a family of 6 trying to follow this schedule:
Sun--DL after 3 pm
Mon--DL
Tue--USH
Wed--DCA
Thu--DL
My mother and I have been to DL, but this will be the first time for my DH and DS's, 9 and 11, and my DSS, so I want them to be able to enjoy everything. I think if we just wing it we will miss too much.

We used Ridemax between Christmas and New Years. You can plan in breaks, though it limits the program a bit if you do. We found it planned in little breaks for us, as well it tended to overestimate the ride wait times by a bit so there were extra minutes in there as well to do other things. We were there quite a few days and found we used it less as time went on, but it did give us a good start (it was a busy time, mind you). We planned out our mornings using ridemax and then used our afternoons for shows and scouting out all the little things...you are right...take time to look in the little corners and it's amazing what you can see! Have fun.

I have used Ridemax before, its kind of fun messing around with and can be helpful. However, you mention you have been to WDW so many of the things you have learned there apply to Disneyland. The most important thing to know when touring Disneyland is get there early, at opening or even 30 minutes before. Disneyland's Main Street opens 30 minutes before official park opening, as long as park opening is after 8:00 a.m. If its 8:00, then Main Street opens the same time as the regular park hours. However, if opening is at 9:00 or later, you can get there early, be close to rope drop, grab a map a park times schedule and have that all done and be ready to beeline to your first attraction. Click on this link below, it is written buy a Disneyland regular who took the time to put down some really helpful, detailed information. If you still feel you need Ridemax after that, go for it. Its not that expensive and compared to what you will spend total for this vacation not that big of an investment. And if it helps so much the better! But you may not need it after you read this:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

Good luck and have a great trip to Disneyland!

mAlien13 said:
I am a big fan of Unofficial...I've always used it to plan our days at WDW. It is not quite as specific in the California version, so I am so happy to hear someone rave the plans from it! :goodvibes I was wondering if RideMax is basically the same as the software they use for Unofficial...has anyone ever compared the two?
No they are not the same. I have the UG for WDW and a subscription to their website (touringplans.com). What they offer are pre-built plans for certain groups such as "families with young children". With RideMax one can select the rides they want to do and it will create a custom plan for your specific rides. This is a huge difference IMO. Want to ride Splash Mtn 3 times during your day? Just add it to the desired rides 3 times. The UG pre-built plans will usually just schedule each ride once.

BTW, RideMax just released a version for WDW.

See my DLR RideMax critique here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885134

I grew up near Disneyland and went often but not until Ridemax did I actually do all the rides I wanted and see the shows as well. Personally I think it was well worth the little money it cost and sure saved me alot of time standing in line. I went in heat and crowds of August and planned our schedule each day to take the entire afternoons off. On the last day we shopped during this time but on the first 2 we went back to the air conditioned hotel for the long afternoons.

Were going again this August and because of Ridemax Ive convinced my cousins to join us! They live in Southern California so they dont normally go in August when its hot and full of tourists.

I cannot say enough good things about Ridemax. Like Mshrm, I too grew up in So. Cal and thought I had DL wired. The first time we used it we went on 17 rides and had lunch at the Blue Bayou. We were at rope drop at 9 a.m. and finished by 3 or 3:30 p.m.

We had a lot of downtime in our schedule to enjoy the little things around the park. Like ap mentioned, we use it the first day or two to make sure we get to do our favorite rides and then usually wing it the other days.

I've decided that for the cost, it is well worth a try. We can always toss it if it becomes too restrictive, and I would be thrilled if it helped us maximize our days. We have only a few days during what I think will be a very busy week, and this is the first time at DLR for all but my mother and I, so I don't want anyone to miss out on anything! :grouphug:
One last question, probably obvious but it never hurts to ask: the DLR RideMax includes DCA, right?

mAlien13 said:
One last question, probably obvious but it never hurts to ask: the DLR RideMax includes DCA, right?
Yes.

But you cannot "mix" parks in your RideMax itinerary. What I mean is that if you want to go to DL and DCA on the same day, you need to block off chunks of the day for each park and let RideMax optimize those periods. You can't choose 10 rides from DL and 8 from DCA all at once, and have RideMax advise you which park to go to first. You can only do one park or the other at a time. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

One other thing. Don't let RideMax take over your vacation. It is a tool to help you, not rule you. RideMax documentation concurs with this. Use it as a tool to help, but don't fall into the temptation of using it to coerce your group. If the group all buys into it, then go for it. If not, then use it to help as much as possible but allow for flexibility as necessary.

My family knows that it is best to get to the parks early - that is 30+ minutes before the gates open - and focus on rides for at least two hours. After this, we transition to a more flexible schedule and slower pace. Since everyone knows that things will get flexible after awhile, they are willing to be non-flexible for the first few hours.

You definitely have to have buy in. My kids love Ridemax. For them it's like a scavenger hunt. Can we get it all done? DS6 will ask, where next? And then will plot the way. The first year we used it, he was 4 and I wondered if he'd be okay with waiting to go on "his" rides since the autopia is usually in the afternoon. But once I explained that we wouldn't have to wait in big lines, he was all for it. DD10 loves it because she knows this means she can go on more rides and still have time to swim.

Hey everyone! I needed to bump this to ask a question. I downloaded RideMax and am trying to use it, but some things are really conflicting with what I already know about touring. For instance, in trying to figure out the best method for touring Fantasyland only, no matter how many or how few rides I put in, it always puts Peter Pan at the end...this seems odd to me because I thought PP is one of the first things in the park to attract a long line.

So, my question is, does RideMax figure in all the rides and decide that it is better to have next to no wait on 4 rides and a long wait on 1? I just want to make sure it isn't glitchy or anything, and that it is working the way it is supposed to. Is it better to start the plan 15 or 20 minutes later and just go to PP first?

I am definately willing to learn a totally different way to tour Disney parks! It seems like a lot of people have had positive results with this program.

When we went, it had us doing Peter Pan first, however Ridemax calculates the least total wait time (for the whole day, not per ride I think) according to the hour you say you'll arrive and leave, the day of year, time of day, ride load time, etc. Have you indicated when you set up the day that you'll be arriving very first thing? It might make a difference. Also, I think if you email Ridemax for clarification they're very good at responding very quickly. We had friends that had to email them, and they said they were really great about answering their questions. Good luck and have fun! :sunny:

mAlien13 said:
it always puts Peter Pan at the end...this seems odd to me because I thought PP is one of the first things in the park to attract a long line.

Did you read the RideMax "Spring Break Tips" yet? The day of the week you're trying to plan could have something to do with this...

Ride Max Questions

1) Does ride max know which attractions are open during EE.
2) How many breaks can you schedule?
3) How many plans can you schedule with your subscription?
4) Does it know about Parades and Fireworks and can you include them, or do you have to call it a "break time"?

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter