ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
… and make the visit every three years plan viable.
(Without borrowing restrictions, of course) I never understood why people 👎 the three year plan 🤷‍♀️

Buy a little more than a third of the points needed for my desired room type/stay length at each of my 3 favorite resorts, then bank/borrow round robin and rotate through the three at 11mo for my annual family trip. Seems a lot more fun than buying 100% of the points I need for such a trip at a single resort, then trying to move it around to different places at 7 months. Seems ideal to me. (I am a detail oriented person and meticulous planner.)

Oh, if only this was last year at this time, you would have less worries.
No it was a blessing because we really wanted Polynesian but didn’t think $180 (advertised price) was in our budget. Then in the time it took to get an answer on ROFR, I saw them going for $165 and lower here so when they took our SSR, we bid on a poly and got it for $160. So I’m happy they took it😝

True, but I saw a report showing that they bought back like 95,000 points at SSR, which would translate into $19M cash in their pocket. I can't imagine they want to sit on them for any length of time.
Disney recently filed several general construction permits for the treehouse villas, so I can see them buying-back points to resell direct in anticipation of the new or updated villas.

Since the borrowing restrictions are over, I modified my BLT studio to a one bedroom. Bye bye points for our Oct. 2023 trip.
I happily used all off my points and am trying to find a way to break it to DH that I want to start looking for a resale BLT contract instead of waiting for Poly 2. Need more points now….

I have been thinking of selling my current contracts to swap to BLT or Poly but honestly, I’m thinking of just keeping them all and getting more. 😬 DH won’t notice I never sell any points right?

(Without borrowing restrictions, of course) I never understood why people 👎 the three year plan 🤷‍♀️

Buy a little more than a third of the points needed for my desired room type/stay length at each of my 3 favorite resorts, then bank/borrow round robin and rotate through the three at 11mo for my annual family trip. Seems a lot more fun than buying 100% of the points I need for such a trip at a single resort, then trying to move it around to different places at 7 months. Seems ideal to me. (I am a detail oriented person and meticulous planner.)
The biggest reason I can think of (as a total DVC rookie) is that if you only go every three years you will likely have some number of points you cant use as Disney does shift points around for seasons and it would be very hard to get all of your points used each three year cycle. Overall I’m a fan of the 3ish year plan as long as you know the risks. Gives more value to some families that can only buy 75 to 200 points and can make them go further every few years :)

I never understood why people 👎 the three year plan 🤷‍♀️
You are not implementing a visit-once-every-three-years model. You have instead implemented a three-home-resort model with annual trips.

The 1-visit-in-3-year model requires you to get the point consumption exactly correct to avoid wasting points or renting them, because each point has at most a three-year lifespan. A once-per-three-years visitor has only one opportunity to use each and every point. That might be possible at the beginning if your desired stay is divisible by three, but reallocation is likely to mess up such a carefully crafted plan.

Your model allows some extra flexibility. If you are slightly off for any particular year's stay, you have some wiggle room. If you are a little under, you can use points from one of the other two contracts, and vice versa.

Is anyone looking for a Boardwalk contract? If so, there's a 200 pt contract on www.dvcsales.com and they're asking $125/pt. My husband says we can't do another contract for another year or so and I'm going to keep staring at that contract until it disappears.
I bid on a HHI contract in March after Disney ROFRed the one we were trying to buy. The seller was listed way too high but it’s the right use year and # of points. I’ve been watching it ever since.. and it sits.
Yesterday I emailed the listing agent against to ask if the seller is ready to get reasonable.

Sometimes even watching these things becomes dangerous to your wallet!

I don't disagree. Just struggling to see any upside to them loading up on SSR points for cash stays (understanding the guest capacity there is definitely appealing for redirecting from sold-out cash resorts), unless they think they'll need the cash inventory in a downturning economy.
I think the goal is two-fold. One is to use them as cash stays. The other is to prop up DVC's perceived value. The reason why DVC holds up in value over traditional timeshare is because of the robust resale market, and Disney is the biggest buyer of resale contracts. Besides, I think they can afford to hold onto these points and use them as they see fit. I think it's great for all of us owners that Disney is willing to buy back even the very oldest of resorts.

Is it just me or has Disboards server been going down a lot more often? I'm not gonna lie. I kinda freak out a bit. I have problems.
Seems like database issues. I’ve noticed if I switch devices (phone to tablet for example) I can sometimes have luck if the other device already has some data in memory from the site.

Confession for the ROFR gods. Forgive me ROFR for I have sinned. I have purchased CCV direct as I want more direct points at future resorts and I’m a silly goose because I purchased too much VGC so anything under a billion dollars a point seems like a bargain for me.
Congrats and welcome home neighbor! How many points did you buy? You're gonna love owning CCV! I see that you are a Peter Dominick lodge person like a lot of us on these boards. The DVC God's are rejoicing! And I totally feel you and the pain of west coast inflation.

Congrats and welcome home neighbor! How many points did you buy? You're gonna love owning CCV! I see that you are a Peter Dominick lodge person like a lot of us on these boards. The DVC God's are rejoicing! And I totally feel you and the pain of west coast inflation.
Went for 100 points. My guide had already prospected me at CCV for the old 225 a point price point and I had just visited a few days ago during the switch in price so he was able to pull some strings and get me at 225 so I said okay. Also had 2021 points to give so that made the deal somewhat okay…. I’m silly and for sure I’m done now LOL.

Yes. We love VCG, CCV, and we also did a tour a AKL and that place is awesome too. That designer did a great job.

The other is to prop up DVC's perceived value. The reason why DVC holds up in value over traditional timeshare is because of the robust resale market, and Disney is the biggest buyer of resale contracts.
This would make sense, except it is in DVD's interest for the resale market to be very low, as that reduces their costs in re-acquisition. At current prices, it costs them more to ROFR an "old" resort than it does to build a shiny new one---especially when that shiny new one is just splashing some paint on a 14 year old building.

The fact that it is high may help the sales of developer points, but only at the (probably very modest) margin. Plenty of timeshare developers sell lots of timeshares at list prices comparable to Disney's with resale markets at a dime on the dollar (or lower). A cheap-cheap-cheap resale market is not much of an impediment to developer sales for these other developers. It wouldn't be a problem for DVD's Guides either.

(Remember: DISers are in no way representative of the average WDW guest or DVC customer.)

This would make sense, except it is in DVD's interest for the resale market to be very low, as that reduces their costs in re-acquisition. At current prices, it costs them more to ROFR an "old" resort than it does to build a shiny new one---especially when that shiny new one is just splashing some paint on a 14 year old building.

The fact that it is high may help the sales of developer points, but only at the (probably very modest) margin. Plenty of timeshare developers sell lots of timeshares at list prices comparable to Disney's with resale markets at a dime on the dollar (or lower). A cheap-cheap-cheap resale market is not much of an impediment to developer sales for these other developers. It wouldn't be a problem for DVD's Guides either.
I love your wisdom and insight but a thought…. Would the current labor market perhaps throw a huge curve ball into this mix and create issues with the traditional model? I have this feeling that Disney is going to push this entire portfolio up in price and go for a higher end client(s) (sad but it’s what they are doing with just about everything)…. I think perhaps we have been too vocal on the value of DVC and they are seeing that they can raise the price in the long run and we will still buy but they can make more money off both direct new and direct resale….

(Remember: DISers are in no way representative of the average WDW guest or DVC customer.)
I don't disagree. I can't pretend to be an expert on traditional timeshares let alone DVC. Even though DVD's interest may be for the resale market to be low, I can't help but to think that it would be in DVD's long term interest for a healthy resale market to prop up its overall value. Sure most potential DVC buyers are not looking to selling their contracts. But life happens and many people do end up selling, which is a huge appeal for many potential first-time buyers. It was at least for me.
I think perhaps we have been too vocal on the value of DVC and they are seeing that they can raise the price in the long run and we will still buy but they can make more money off both direct new and direct resale….
I think Disney can only do this to a certain point. The market will ultimately dictate prices, and the fact that Disney started selling VGF2 at sub $200pp shows that they have to price to sell millions of points to a large demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter