Rollaway beds or air mattresses being provided to guests at SSR?

SoCalKDG

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
From the following article:

Some Ask if the Disney Magic Is Slipping
By CHARLES PASSY
The New York Times

Maybe it was the rollaway bed that didn't materialize because it was suddenly deemed a fire hazard.

Or maybe it was the air mattress that surfaced in its place with a pile of bedding that included 20 - yes, 20 - pillowcases and one sheet.

It was a question meant in the most literal sense. We weren't staying at some budget motel off the Interstate. We were spending more than $300 a night for a one-bedroom "turn-of-the-century style vacation villa" at Walt Disney World's one-year-old Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa.

Anyone ever hear of either rollaway beds or air mattresses being provided to guests at SSR?

Doesn't sound right to me either.

patsal said:
Doesn't sound right to me either.

I just read the article. It's not a bad article. More like, "C'mon Disney, keep your eye on the ball". It wasn't an attack as much as it was a nudge to Disney to not take their magic for granted but to keep working on it.

With respect to the air mattress. I haven't been there, so I don't know. He was paying cash. Do they perhaps offer a bit more service (including more bedding and air mattresses) to cash guests?

-Shawn

I don't know where at WDW he has stayed in the past. However, when I talked with Mr. Passy on the phone, he was surprised that Disney doesn't allow rollaways at the DVC resorts. He said that when he made the reservation through CRO, they said there would be no problem in getting him a rollaway at SSR. That was one of the reasons he was so flummoxed upon being told, "Um, sorry, but no." at check-in. Obviously, he would not have made the reservation there had he known about that restriction. Maybe someone at CRO doesn't/didn't know any better?

Just thought I'd share what I was told.

Hey, it's Charles Passy (I'm a disboards regular reader in addition to occasionally writing about Dsiney).

I was promised the rollaway bed not once, but three times: When I made my reservation, when I confirmed my reservation (the night before) and when I checked in. It was only when I arrived at the room was I told -- by a phone message -- that the rollaway was against fire regulations.

After some complaining about the situation, I was told they could provide an air mattress for the night (we had a family of four and needed one extra bed). I wasn't thrilled about that, but it was the only option. They agreed to upgrade me to a larger room the following day (they couldn't do it that day because of lack of availability). The upgrade wasn't offered automatically, either, I should note -- I really had to push for it.

In any case, that's the story. Needless to say, I've had better stays at Disney than this one.

charlespbg said:
I was promised the rollaway bed not once, but three times: When I made my reservation, when I confirmed my reservation (the night before) and when I checked in. It was only when I arrived at the room was I told -- by a phone message -- that the rollaway was against fire regulations.

By phone message?

Now that's cold. :cold:

You should know that upgrades are almost never available at DVC resorts, although staying on cash through CRO increased the chance for that upgrade. People staying on points almost never receive an upgrade, unless a room goes out of service for a problem and the other rooms of that size are already booked.

I'm sorry if CRO promised you a rollaway, but if you are a regular reader of these boards, it has been mentioned repeatedly on the DVC boards that rollaways and air mattresses are not available at DVC resorts. The person to blame for giving you inaccurate info is Disney Reservations, and I would definately write them a letter of complaint stating that CRO promised you a rollaway.

charlespbg said:
Hey, it's Charles Passy (I'm a disboards regular reader in addition to occasionally writing about Dsiney).

After some complaining about the situation, I was told they could provide an air mattress for the night (we had a family of four and needed one extra bed). I wasn't thrilled about that, but it was the only option. They agreed to upgrade me to a larger room the following day (they couldn't do it that day because of lack of availability). The upgrade wasn't offered automatically, either, I should note -- I really had to push for it.

In any case, that's the story. Needless to say, I've had better stays at Disney than this one.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Only a journalist would reserve a room that doesn't meet their needs...request something the resort doesn't provide to accommodate their mistake...then demand - and get - an upgrade to make up for the resort failing to provide something they are not supposed to provide to fix a problem the guest created...and THEN, write a story complaining about it.

Talk about making lemonade from lemons!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

JimMIA said:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Only a journalist would reserve a room that doesn't meet their needs...request something the resort doesn't provide to accommodate their mistake...then demand - and get - an upgrade to make up for the resort failing to provide something they are not supposed to provide to fix a problem the guest created...and THEN, write a story complaining about it.

Talk about making lemonade from lemons!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

It seems to me that Mr. Passy, as a non-DVC member, did everything in his power to try to insure that the room he booked did, in fact, meet his needs. He was told on three separate occasions that it did -- from the horse's mouth, no less. Even if he happened to hear from the DISbaords that he couldn't get a rollaway for the DVC villas, whom would he be more inclined to believe -- us or the horse?

Let's face it: the industry standard is to provide a rollaway upon request (perhaps for a slight charge). They certainly do this for the much smaller rooms at Universal Studios. But perhaps their rooms are fireproof? ;)

If the article was in the N.Y. Times it may not be true! :rotfl2:
They have a little problem with something called "truth"! :)

I can assure you I did not know rollaway beds were not allowed. And the fact Disney assured me three times that I would have a rollaway made me feel it was guaranteed.

I never mentioned I was a journalist when I booked the reservation or when I called to complain. I was there actually to do a much smaller story about Saratoga Springs itself. It was only when the trip started going so badly that I sensed something larger happening... (And there were many, many more problems, including a completely botched breakfast at another resort.)

As I think I said in the article, I'm as much of a Disney enthusiast as anyone here... But the service I experienced was worse than anything I've encountered anywhere in more than two decades of travel (and writing about travel). I've had good stays at Disney before -- especially at Fort Wilderness (the rental cabins). But what I experienced at SSR really begged the question of what the bigger picture was. I honestly went with no agenda to expose something larger at Disney. Rather, the "something larger" was hard to ignore -- and the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was a bill with a $750 mistake in Disney's favor (and that took more than an hour to resolve).

charlespbg said:
I can assure you I did not know rollaway beds were not allowed. And the fact Disney assured me three times that I would have a rollaway made me feel it was guaranteed.

I never mentioned I was a journalist when I booked the reservation or when I called to complain. I was there actually to do a much smaller story about Saratoga Springs itself. It was only when the trip started going so badly that I sensed something larger happening... (And there were many, many more problems, including a completely botched breakfast at another resort.)

As I think I said in the article, I'm as much of a Disney enthusiast as anyone here... But the service I experienced was worse than anything I've encountered anywhere in more than two decades of travel (and writing about travel). I've had good stays at Disney before -- especially at Fort Wilderness (the rental cabins). But what I experienced at SSR really begged the question of what the bigger picture was. I honestly went with no agenda to expose something larger at Disney. Rather, the "something larger" was hard to ignore -- and the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was a bill with a $750 mistake in Disney's favor (and that took more than an hour to resolve).
I've read your complete article, and while I think you were fair in presenting both sides, the big problem I had was the headline and the first couple of paragraphs. A casual reader may only notice the headline, or just read the first couple of sentances. They then walk away and think, WDW sucks. Reading the complete article sheds additional light on the complete subject and makes a comment on peoples perception. Combine that with the fact that you decided to write the article after a bad trip, as opposed to one of you many good trips.

Its very similar to the way the news recently covered the accident at DCA, in which some news agencies were reporting life serious injuries to 40 people when in fact the cars bumped at approx. 5 MPH.

charlespbg said:

I just read your article - they really refunded your entire stay??? Wow. I have been following the story on one of the other boards (I think the resort board?) about the family at All Stars (is that the same family you referred to?) She has been trying like heck for months to get some sort of fair resolution to that mess. I'm surprised they offered you such a large compensation.

charlespbg said:
As I think I said in the article, I'm as much of a Disney enthusiast as anyone here... But the service I experienced was worse than anything I've encountered anywhere in more than two decades of travel (and writing about travel). I've had good stays at Disney before --

as you can tell from my signature, we are disney enthusiasts and have spent a lot of time at WDW, and i have to say that for the first time this year (2 weeks ago) we had a few non-disney like experiences....
i was actually quite shocked, but i wrote it off to CM stress due to the extreme heat and crowds....
on two different occasions we had encounters with extremely unpleasant CMs in guest services (at the MK and Epcot)....this was a total shock as the CMs in guest services are usually the best of the best....

most of our resort stays this year were great (specifically OKW and WL concierge), but our Contemporary Resort 14th floor concierge was not at all up to disney quality (not even motel 6 quality for that matter). And considering that I was paying $1120/night for a one bedroom suite there, that's truly shocking. We were supposed to stay there for 5 days, but checked out after 2 because we were so disappointed in the sub-standard quality. That's when we switched to the WL, which brought us back to the disney magic.

SoCalKDG said:
I've read your complete article, and while I think you were fair in presenting both sides, the big problem I had was the headline and the first couple of paragraphs. A casual reader may only notice the headline, or just read the first couple of sentances.

This is "SOP" for journalism: it is the bait used to lure the reader in for, hopefully, the whole article. You yourself admit that the article in its entirety was fair. In all honesty, what more could you ask for? :confused3

Weren't you the author looking for input about Disney's lack of service a few months back for an article? I remember posts about this, so I am a little sceptical in you having so many things go badly - - - to me you were setting yourself up for that. Sort of the same things as a thesis proving what you want it to when you do your research in a certain light. ( here is the link to one of those requests http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=833310 and almost all of your "posts" were about this - so I suppose you are a lurker which is why you would call yourself a regular here). Let me say that you did ask for both sides of the "customer service" story from people, but what I saw was amazingly positive overall.

That said, there is obviously a serious gap between CRO and DVC and in all sorts of other areas (like the recent roll out of the new AP program which some CM's hadn't even heard of in advance so they were clueless when people called CRO to inquire about it). Disney does need to 1. do a better job getting the news out BEFORE things are released and 2. do a better job training those directly responsible to ask for questions if they are unsure of an answer - not simply tell the guest what they "think" is acceptable. I think a lot of Disney's problem is people like us - the obsessive ones - the ones that must know every little change and detail BEFORE it hits the mainstream news...without a doubt, people of the DIS know way more than the common man about Disney and new programs, etc.

Glad you got your article published - good for you. I do wish you had gone into things with a more open mind.

Laura

Chuck S said:
But good news rarely sells. ;)

In that vein - Reading State of Fear right now by Michael Crichton. Very interesting book - and it is about environmental issues and people's concerns (and how they are unfounded - which I haven't researched outside of this fictional book setting, but it most certainly has a substantial bit of "resources" quoted) and how selling "fear" is big business (and also keeps people "in line" - - - my personal example would be buying into the Patriot Act as a necessity when in reality, we are pretty dang safe in this country. Sex sells - so do violence and "fears".) Anyway - interesting read so far.

I am not saying this author is guilty of this, but simply agreeing with Chuck's post....a big fluffy piece on WDW would not have sold as well as a "Walt is probably rolling in his grave" piece.

Also - I am biased as hell about Disney but not a polyanna. I can see flaws and to me about 90% of them are with the people attending WDW, not WDW itself (but biased - I readily admit).

Laura

I don't know how I can make this any clearer: I did go in with an open mind. The piece I was originally supposed to write was a short thing on SSR, looking at its rooms, amenities, etc. It was only when the trip went so badly -- again, the worst hotel stay in my entire life -- that I began to wonder if this was evident of something larger within Disney. And having known about Roy Disney's concerns -- and then having read "Disney War" -- I began to question if what I experienced was connected to a larger corporate problem within Disney.

Perhaps my trip was just one bad example. But there do seem to be some other bad examples out there... And there are the good ones, too. I tried to balance it out as best as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter