• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rollaway beds or air mattresses being provided to guests at SSR?

idratherbeinwdw said:
The original article also mentioned the woman at the allstars crying because she didn't get connecting rooms. When you call to make a reservation they always tell you a request is just that--a request and cannot be guaranteed. Evidently she had a child with special needs--did she get a doctor's letter attesting to that? If she did then she should have been able to get the request and WDW was wrong IMO. If not, then she would be treated like the rest of us.

Here is a link to the thread in question:
[thread=785797]All Star Music Woes[/thread]

I followed this thread about the All Star Music problem because I was staying there in July and also had guaranteed connecting rooms. When I made the reservations, the CM said our connecting rooms were guaranteed because we were one family traveling with four children. It is very frustrating to be told you have guaranteed connecting rooms, have it printed on your reservation confirmation (GUARANTEED CONNECTING ROOMS FOR FAMILIES), and then be told it's not "really" guaranteed when you arrive at the resort.

We did get our connecting rooms, btw, and had a great trip. :teeth: But the CM did make a point of telling us she was giving us our "request" and connecting rooms are not "really" guaranteed.

One other thing we noticed, on the back of the door at All Star Music, there was a blurb about getting a roll-away bed and how much it cost. We couldn't figure out how someone could fit a roll-away bed in that room. :confused3

JimMIA said:
Now, see...THAT's a REAL problem!

Certainly the CM's checking you in had no way of knowing that a guest had smoked in a non-smoking room. But once they knew, they should have moved you somewhere. Spraying perfume doesn't do a thing for a kid with asthma.

You should call the same guy Charles called and raise a fuss. They DO owe you a refund, or some kind of significant consideration.

One interesting, but completely useless, observation from my trip out West last week. I stayed in two hotels with interesting smoking policies.

One of them had a $150 additional charge if you smoked in a non-smoking room, and the other had a $200 extra charge! I thought it was just a "paper policy," but when I asked, both front desk crews told me they did indeed enforce that policy. They'd had guests contest credit card bills afterward, but they'd stuck to their guns and collected the fees. At the $150-charge hotel, they told me they'd originally charged $100, but people just paid the $100, so they had to raise it to $150.

So Charles...who did you call? I would really like to talk to the same person that gave you a FULL REFUND and an upgrade when I got NADA!!!! :confused3

I just wanted to comment that you can indeed get a rollaway at some of the regular Disney resorts. We had one at Port Orleans (French Quarter) last year. One DD was sick and I didn't want her sleeping with the other DD, so they sent me a roll away. I think that I ended up paying $15 a night for it.

OK - so I read the post from the lady at the All Stars with the problems. I was not aware of this "family" policy where they will make guaranteed requests for families with more than 4 children, but it seems like the rest of the world is getting a taste of what DVCers have gotten all alone - REQUESTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED.

The difference in this woman's case is that she has a special needs child and went through Special SErvices (a group I didn't know existed). The gave her everything she asked for except a connecting rooms (which I am kinda getting the CM read as "adjacent" rooms...not connecting and we know there is a difference). Disney DID respond to this lady, but it was not what she wanted and she has been attempting every since to get a better resolution. (sadly, I really don't know if one is coming or not....and I am not 100% sure she is deserving). There was a VERY simple solution to all of her problems. One of the adults sleep in the other room. I realize its would not have been ideal, but there is NO WAY I would have let my whole vacation disolve into shambles because of this and I still would have gone through the proper channels to voice my concerns and complaints, but it seems to me like she let this ruin her whole vacation. I am sorry her family had ANY problems, but life is full of issues and only you can decide how to deal with them.

Flame at will - I am sure my comments seem insensitive to some and they aren't meant to be...but Disney did deal with her in the way they saw fit which indicates to me that there are probably pieces missing to this story. It also goes on to indicate how interesting it is that Mr. Passy got his whole trip refunded when he says he didn't mention he was a writer. Maybe it is all in the cards as to who you get on the phone. I certainly would have thought he would have given her the phone number of the person HE delt with so she could take a stab at getting her money back if she is truly deserving.

ErinC said:
I just wanted to comment that you can indeed get a rollaway at some of the regular Disney resorts. We had one at Port Orleans (French Quarter) last year. One DD was sick and I didn't want her sleeping with the other DD, so they sent me a roll away. I think that I ended up paying $15 a night for it.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I believe you, but I wonder why they don't allow it at the poly since the rooms are bigger there. :confused3 Or maybe they do now, I haven't asked since my first stay at the poly in 1998 when they said no.

When I stayed at PO Riverside, it was called Dixie Landings and I was not able to get a rollaway. That was in 1993, not sure if the policy changed or if it was a difference between POR and POFQ.

So has anyone staying at a DVC resort been able to get a rollaway? Or an air mattress? (Other than the OP)

Other parts of the article I find unclear/misleading:

The pic of the steps with the paint peeling. It doesn't say when it was taken. Not long ago The Times had pic of Spaceship earth taken recently, you could tell because the mickey arm and wand were there. The photo was captioned "Epcot Opens, 1982". It didn't bother me, it WAS a pic of Epcot, but it made me wonder how often newspapers use a caption with a photo that doesn't really "match" the timeframe of the caption. These photos with the article by Mr. Passy makes me wonder the all the more. It is implied that the photo is recent, since it doesn't say otherwise. Elsewhere, the article quotes a March 2004 Orlando Sentinel article mentioning peeling paint. Why the quote from an article almost a year and a half old, are there no recent quotes? Perhaps that means they fixed the problem?

Another misleading part of the article, was the reference to the safety of WDW attractions. Mr. Passy mentions concerns abour ride safety "in the wake of recent scares connected to such attractions as Mission Space at Epcot Park and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney-MGM studios, including the death of a 4 year old boy after riding Mission:Space". Nowhere is it mentioned, that, after much investigation by public officials, that the rides WERE safe and that whatever happened to the child and to the girl on TOT was not due to any negligence by WDW. (I know that DL in Cal HAS had some safety issues, but that is not part of this article so I am not addressing that here).

Is Disney perfect? Will every vacation be pure Magic? Of course not. But I agree with Laura (lllovell), Mr. Passy's article was slanted.

Mar'

lllovell said:
OK - so I read the post from the lady at the All Stars with the problems. I was not aware of this "family" policy where they will make guaranteed requests for families with more than 4 children, but it seems like the rest of the world is getting a taste of what DVCers have gotten all alone - REQUESTS ARE NOT GUARANTEED.

The difference in this woman's case is that she has a special needs child and went through Special SErvices (a group I didn't know existed). The gave her everything she asked for except a connecting rooms (which I am kinda getting the CM read as "adjacent" rooms...not connecting and we know there is a difference). Disney DID respond to this lady, but it was not what she wanted and she has been attempting every since to get a better resolution. (sadly, I really don't know if one is coming or not....and I am not 100% sure she is deserving). There was a VERY simple solution to all of her problems. One of the adults sleep in the other room. I realize its would not have been ideal, but there is NO WAY I would have let my whole vacation disolve into shambles because of this and I still would have gone through the proper channels to voice my concerns and complaints, but it seems to me like she let this ruin her whole vacation. I am sorry her family had ANY problems, but life is full of issues and only you can decide how to deal with them.

Flame at will - I am sure my comments seem insensitive to some and they aren't meant to be...but Disney did deal with her in the way they saw fit which indicates to me that there are probably pieces missing to this story. It also goes on to indicate how interesting it is that Mr. Passy got his whole trip refunded when he says he didn't mention he was a writer. Maybe it is all in the cards as to who you get on the phone. I certainly would have thought he would have given her the phone number of the person HE delt with so she could take a stab at getting her money back if she is truly deserving.

No flames from me, I kind of feel the same way with one exception. I think somewhere in there she said that her husband was gone for two nights so she really couldn't have the kids alone in the next room. Plus, I think that she was treated really poorly in general. But I do agree that I'd try to not let it ruin the whole vacation.

My big issue is the redefining of the word guarantee. If a company says something is guaranteed then darn it, it shoud be guaranteed. They can't just say, "well, I know it *says* guaranteed, but that's not really what it *means*" That is really poor customer service. They should just not guarantee things, rather than have to dissapoint people. That is why I like what DVC does, I have yet to hear anyone say that DVC guaranteed them anything, LOL. They seem to always reiterate that you are making "requests".

Sounds to me like the OP expected to stay in a hotel with hotel service. And booking through CRO this seems like a reasonable expectation. But SSR isn't a hotel, its a timeshare. And leaving ethernet cables in the room so they can be replaced after every guest uses them and throws them back in their laptop case is not how I want my dues spent (placemats, anyone?). Nor do I really want the wear and tear on rooms or the maintenance involved in rollaways. But as a member I have the expectation that these things won't be available and can understand why. If you book through CRO you are going to have hotel expectations.

Refund fairness debates aside, who wants to discuss where that air mattress came from? My guess: a DVCer brought it, used it, and left it, then mousekeeping later tucked it away somewhere (and it took them awhile to find it---"hmmm, I know it's around here someplace" :confused3 ). Just a merry thought....

dis-happy said:
Refund fairness debates aside, who wants to discuss where that air mattress came from? My guess: a DVCer brought it, used it, and left it, then mousekeeping later tucked it away somewhere (and it took them awhile to find it---"hmmm, I know it's around here someplace" :confused3 ). Just a merry thought....
Or someone pitched such a hissy-fit that they sent the junior CM to Wal-Mart to buy one to make the problem go away!

JimMIA said:
Or someone pitched such a hissy-fit that they sent the junior CM to Wal-Mart to buy one to make the problem go away!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

mamatojon said:
My big issue is the redefining of the word guarantee. If a company says something is guaranteed then darn it, it shoud be guaranteed. They can't just say, "well, I know it *says* guaranteed, but that's not really what it *means*" That is really poor customer service.
You're absolutely right Mama. Unfortunately, when people in service industries do that, making a big point out of saying "It's really only a request...but I'm gonna let you have it," they often think they are giving good service. They're wrong, of course, but I can understand a CM thinking they were doing the right thing.

They think the guest will appreciate their kindness and consideration; instead, 99% of the time, the guest will be left with the impression that a) they've been lied to, and b) the CM has a huge chip on their shoulder.

If someone is expecting connecting rooms, and you can give them to the guest, the only correct response is "Oh yes, of course they're connecting." THAT is good service.

JerJan said:
Laugh all you want -- that's what really happens in the real world. "We have some serious issues to deal with...let's make this mosquito go away!"

disneyholic family said:
...bringing problems like these to the attention of disney management is a good thing...
Agreed, particularly when the "attention" is in the form of an article in a national newspaper.

You can bet Jim Lewis and DVC managment have read The Time's piece in question and are probably huddled-up right now assessing how they can improve the overall guest experience. They will certainly want to avoid additional recognition of this kind in the future. To me it seems obvious that our membership can only benefit from these developments.

With this in mind, I would say we all owe Mr. Passy a great big <i>thank you</i>. (Ah, but as a defensive "owner" it's much easier to just shoot the messenger ;) .)

rinkwide said:
...(snip)....With this in mind, I would say we all owe Mr. Passy a great big <i>thank you</i>........
But not if it results in air mattresses being made available upon request, LOL! :teeth:

Best wishes -

rinkwide said:
Agreed, particularly when the "attention" is in the form of an article in a national newspaper.

You can bet Jim Lewis and DVC managment have read The Time's piece in question and are probably huddled-up right now assessing how they can improve the overall guest experience. They will certainly want to avoid additional recognition of this kind in the future. To me it seems obvious that our membership can only benefit from these developments.

With this in mind, I would say we all owe Mr. Passy a great big thank you. (Ah, but as a defensive "owner" it's much easier to just shoot the messenger ;) .)

I agree that anything that causes improvements at WDW is a good thing. So perhaps I will thank Mr. Passy for that. But I still stand by my previous comments, the article was slanted and full of half truths.

Its posted in a couple of other threads here - hang on Cruise, I will find it for you.

Some Ask if the Disney Magic Is Slipping
By CHARLES PASSY
Published: July 31, 2005

MAYBE it was the rollaway bed that didn't materialize because it was suddenly deemed a fire hazard.

Or maybe it was the air mattress that surfaced in its place with a pile of bedding that included 20 - yes, 20 - pillowcases and one sheet.

Or maybe it was the manager who called and apologized for the mistakes - at nearly 1 a.m.

But as tipping points go, it was hard to top the bill with a $750 error - in the resort's favor. Such a mistake was proof positive that something was terribly amiss, leaving my wife and me to ask, "What kind of a Mickey Mouse operation is this?"

It was a question meant in the most literal sense. We weren't staying at some budget motel off the Interstate. We were spending more than $300 a night for a one-bedroom "turn-of-the-century style vacation villa" at Walt Disney World's one-year-old Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa. But we were experiencing little of the celebrated Disney "magic," that bend-over-backward brand of service. Instead, our family vacation was turning into a part-nightmarish, part-comical adventure that I quickly took to describing as Disney meets "Fawlty Towers" meets the "Twilight Zone."

And apparently, we weren't the only ones on this ride. To hear some other guests tell similar stories of inept service at Disney World theme parks and resorts is to realize the Mouse may no longer be as mighty.

As Disney marks the 50th birthday of its first theme park - Disneyland in California - with a companywide 18-month celebration that began in May, it is facing great scrutiny, particularly when it comes to Walt Disney World - a 30,000-plus-acre complex in Florida that comprises four theme parks and more than 20 resorts and that attracted 40.5 million visitors in 2004, according to the trade journal Amusement Business.

Much of the focus stems from the recent corporate shakeup that ended with the decision by Michael D. Eisner, the longtime chief executive, to resign effective this September. (He is being replaced by Disney's president, Robert A. Iger.) It's a tale of boardroom intrigue that inspired James B. Stewart's "Disney War," published this year. At the heart of the drama is the question of whether Disney has put profits ahead of the need to deliver that "magic," especially at the parks and resorts.

The issue has been raised repeatedly by Roy E. Disney (Walt's nephew), former Disney board member and executive. In "Disney War," he is quoted telling a group of investors, "If you've been [to the parks] in recent years, you will have noticed the lack of maintenance, the fewer number of characters on the streets. The cast members ... have been pared back unmercifully. Their hours have been cut, benefits taken away. That gets reflected in their attitude toward the guests." (Mr. Disney declined comment for this article, although he recently came to an agreement with Disney's board and management to withdraw a lawsuit challenging the selection process behind Mr. Iger's appointment.)

It is also an issue that arose in an article in The Orlando Sentinel, published in March 2004, about its investigation of maintenance at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. The paper reported that "flaws included worn walkways and steps, rotting wood, scratched and chipped stucco, peeling paint, rusted railings, faded awnings and yellowing plants."

The issue seems to resonate with Disney guests. On such Web sites as WDWInfo.com and MiceAge.com, they debate matters ranging from the company's attention to ride safety (in the wake of recent scares connected to such attractions as Mission: Space at the Epcot park and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney-MGM Studios, including the death of a 4-year-old boy after riding Mission: Space) to the wait times for Disney buses. There appears to be a growing view that the Mouse no longer delivers at the same magical level.

While not denying that problems occur, Disney officials say their commitment to customer service remains strong, as evidenced by the fact that 75 percent of Disney World visitors are repeat guests. "Our goal in life is to get excellent ratings," said Lee Cockerell, executive vice president for operations at Disney World. "We try to move the 'goods' up to 'very goods' and the 'very goods' up to 'excellents.' "

But in Beth Motta's case, she'd be hard pressed to give Disney a "fair." Ms. Motta, a Cleveland-area nursing student, traveled with her husband and four children for a six-day stay at Disney World's All-Star Music Resort this spring. Despite assurances from Disney staff members that she could have connecting rooms - a must since one of her children is disabled - Ms. Motta says she was told otherwise when she arrived. "I sat in the lobby and cried," she recalled.

Even more disconcerting are reports that Disney is slow or unwilling to respond to complaints. In Ms. Motta's case, she says she had the problem corrected after much haggling, but the "solution" meant staying in a more remote location at the resort and sharing a building with a group of noisy teenagers. She did receive a credit of $120 - on a $1,300 bill - but it wasn't offered until she contacted the guest communications department upon her return home.

I hit a similar wall of unresponsiveness with managers at the Saratoga Springs resort: I had to argue my way into an upgrade that provided the very sleeping arrangements I was guaranteed. After more problems ensued, I received $100 in credit - far less than the refund for a full-night's stay that hospitality-industry experts I interviewed say was merited. And there barely seemed to be acknowledgment that the resort was still under construction. (When I returned home, I called a higher-level manager - without revealing that I was a journalist - and she agreed to refund my entire stay.)

Such stories prompt some observers of Disney operations to say the situation reflects a demoralized, improperly trained staff. "There's a palpable difference in the attitudes of cast members versus five years ago. There are fewer smiles there," said Pete Werner, the founder and Webmaster of WDWInfo.com.

Disney executives vehemently deny such charges. In an opinion column responding to the article in The Orlando Sentinel, Disney World's president, Al Weiss, noted a 90 percent approval rating from guests when it comes to upkeep and cleanliness at the Magic Kingdom.

And in a recent interview, Mr. Cockerell said that Disney World's staff was at an all-time high of 57,000, though the number can fluctuate depending on the season. And while he conceded that Disney's "traditions" employee-orientation program has been pared back to one day from two days, he argued that it was because Disney had focused on other training methods. As for resolving guests' complaints, Mr. Cockerell insists that managers are empowered to offer whatever is appropriate to rectify the situation.

And what about my problem-riddled visit? "Your stay was not typical," Mr. Cockerell said.

Still, Mr. Cockerell allows that mistakes do happen, given the sheer size of Disney World's operations. But the real reason some guests walk away disappointed, Mr. Cockerell suspects, is that they arrive with such high expectations. "Walt Disney World is like a national park," he said. "If something doesn't go right, I get a seven-page letter."

IN a sense, that may be Disney's own doing. Since the company's first venture into the theme-park business a half-century ago, it has maintained that it wants to create an immaculate escape-from-the-real-world environment. Disneyland grew out of Walt Disney's disappointing experiences with his own children at amusement parks. "You could have fantastic rides, but if the place was sloppy or you had to wait for toilets [it wouldn't work]. For him, it had to be beautiful," said Diane Disney Miller, Walt's daughter, in the Summer 2005 issue of Disney Magazine. (That issue of the decades-old magazine was the last to hit the stands. It ceased publication because of the company's bottom-line concerns.)

But another part of the equation, say observers like Deb Wills, founder of AllEarsNet.com, another unofficial Disney site, is that Disney guests have come to anticipate "magic moments" at, well, every moment. "People hear so many wonderful things they think it's going to be picture perfect," she said. Take the famed "towel animals" - towels that have been shaped to resemble wildlife - that Disney maids have been known to leave in a guest's room. What started as a surprise offering has now become a de rigueur part of the Disney experience.

But for most guests, the experience comes close to the quintessential family vacation. Take Vicki Moreno, a San Antonio homemaker who has been a Disney World regular since 1991. Her ultimate "magic moment" came a few weeks ago at a character autograph-signing opportunity at Epcot. When one of her daughters realized she had lost her autograph book, a Disney staff member arranged a free replacement and a private character meet-and-greet. Ms. Moreno's reaction? "I thought, 'Wow!' " she said.

And that's the funny thing: Despite all the problems with my stay, there were plenty of "wows," too. Like the time the chef at the Polynesian Resort prepared a special fruit platter for my food-allergic 13-year-old son. Or the time a security guard at Epcot, sensing my 6-year-old daughter's impatience as we waited in the bag-search line, took off his cap and placed it affectionately on her head.

Then, there's the "wow" I experience every time I enter the Magic Kingdom. Seeing the cobblestone streets and the rows of old-timey shops, I can't help but buy into the fantasy that is Walt Disney's Main Street, designed after the one in his boyhood home of Marceline, Mo. Some might call it synthetic, but that's missing the point: It never pretends to be real.

And that's perhaps why when Disney stumbles, we respond so vociferously. If we wanted the headaches and hassles, we'd stay at the budget motel off the Interstate. Instead, we want the magic. And we'll keep going to Disney World in search of it - for the time being.

Thanks llovell.

Article definitely has a negative slant. Like he kept a seperate journal of negative or semi-negative comments and pulled only examples from that for all but the last few paragraphs....but by then, the tone had been set and the sensationalism makes it seem fishy. I wish Webmaster Pete would publish his entire comments to Mr. Passy so we can read it in context.

If Mr. Passy has been a visitor to these boards for the past several years, surely he should have been enlightened about SSR. The fact that it is a DVC property (I hate to call it a timeshare....). The fact that is is still under construction. He can look at room layouts, occupancy threads, etc...a whole plethera of info....Maybe CRO did promise a roll away. Who knows? (Do they offer r/a's at other Disney resorts?) In fact, if he was a frequent visitor to the Dis, he would have known that by renting points instead of going through CRO, he could have saved a ton of $ (I would hate to have been the one who rented to him). But at least the DVC owner in that case, would have nipped the roll away bed request in the bud.

I still have a problem with the fact that he got a full refund for lack of a roll away?? It almost sounds like he was refunded (if in fact that he was really given a full refund...) to keep from publishing a negative review in the Times. Now, those with a less than 100% magical stay will feel that they are entitled to some major compensation. Now, I read Ms. Motta's OP, and that was a real cluster foxtrot. She went through all the right channels, Special Needs, etc and Disney majorly dropped the ball for her.

Overall, if service goes up a notch, great....but I'm not sure if the end justify the means (one sided, highly slanted story).

Can I get a full refund for my subscription to the Times, because they lied to me about a number of stories and issues. Also my dinner was disturbed when a telephone called and ask if I would re-subscribe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter