Rollaway beds or air mattresses being provided to guests at SSR?

My opinion is that the writer was out to write a negative article and he achieved that. He was out to write about how the "growing views" are that Disney magic is dropping. Of course it is - if you seek out that opinion.

The fact that he had his own experience "shattered" by the communications gap that exists between CRO and DVC (something that we all know is there!) just added fodder to the fire.

There are bigger and more important things in life than two kids having to share a sofa and CRO making a mistake about roll-aways.

While experiencing the failure and takeover by the FDIC of my former bank employer and being accosted with daily printed and spoken news - fact, fiction and speculation - I learned a lot about reading news articles and how much they are just one person's opinion. I came to think of them as just column space. Filler. Something to waste your time on when you have nothing of value to read. This is one of those. A waste of column space. And the exact reason why I don't read newspapers or magazines.

Disney Magic does not mean Disney has to be perfect in my eyes.

kathleena said:
...the communications gap that exists between CRO and DVC (something that we all know is there!)...
Does the fact that <i><b>we</i></b> all know it exists mean that it's acceptible?

Disney Magic does not mean Disney has to be perfect...
Is there anyone here who thinks Disney's standard of service and maintenance has improved in the last 10 years?

For whatever it's worth, here's my take on the article:

Rollaway bed issue - As described, it's inexcusable. Charles should not have been told 3 times (including by resort staff at check-in) that he would get a bed if that was not the case. Falling back on "DVC does not allow rollaways" isn't good enough, IMO. Disney advertises these "Home Away From Home" resorts (or whatever they are called now) just as they do the other classes. They either need to do a better job of differentiating the services offered at each to those making reservations, or offer the same services.

Construction - I'm on the fence on this one. Would we expect disclaimers at the time of booking that "It's A Small World will be closed during your stay" or "'Fantasmic' may not run for 3 days due to scheduled maintenance?" No. At the same time, if (and I don't know that this was actually addressed) the trip was booked through CRO, it seems reasonable for them to have pre-printed notations of these types of issues that could be read to the guest at the time of the reservation.

Billing error - It happens...it was fixed...get over it.

Quoting Orlando Sentinel article and Disney War - Poor decision. Don't tell me what the O.S. and Roy Disney (who clearly had his own agenda) had to say about maintenance and staffing well over a year ago...tell me how the parks look TODAY!

I do find it interesting to read Charles' comments here that his original intent was to write a piece focusing on Saratoga Springs. All of the first-hand experiences related involved poor experiences AT SSR. Wouldn't focusing on that experience have made for a better article?

To me, the negative slant is apparent, even in light of the (brief) mention of the "wows". IMO, Charles set the tone with these comments:

"And apparently, we weren't the only ones on this ride. To hear some other guests tell similar stories of inept service at Disney World theme parks and resorts is to realize the Mouse may no longer be as mighty."

Reading those words within the first 15% of the article it became apparent that he intended to take on WDW as a whole, not just SSR. If one were truly acknowledging the 75% return rate and 90% guest satisfacation rate, that line may have instead have read something like:

"Fortunately our stay does not appear to reflect the typical Walt Disney World guest experience..."

But the approach used is more sensationalistic, and I'm sure that played no small part in the construction of the article.

rinkwide said:
Does the fact that we all know it exists mean that it's acceptible?

Acceptable from what point? If CRO tells someone that rollaways are avaiable at DVC resorts and they are not...it does not have any affect on us as DVCers, does it? They've never been available, and I don't see that changing.

Is there anyone here who thinks Disney's standard of service and maintenance has improved in the last 10 years?

I have seen changes in the last 10 years at Disney, some good some bad...just like the banking industry has changed in the last 10 years. Improved? On some issues. Remained the same on most issues, and declined on some issues. Overall, I think there has been little "net" change to our overall Disney experience. And just how many of the perceived "negative" changes are we, the consumer, responsible for? The towels animals are just the tip of the iceberg regarding guests higher demands and expectations that are truly unreasonable. Because of the "drama" involved when some doesn't get what used to be random "magic" is it unreasonable that Disney or any other company, would discontinue some things? After all, when "magic" becomes "mandatory" it is no longer "magic"

Chuck S said:
I have seen changes in the last 10 years at Disney, some good some bad...just like the banking industry has changed in the last 10 years. Improved? On some issues. Remained the same on most issues, and declined on some issues. Overall, I think there has been little "net" change to our overall Disney experience. And just how many of the perceived "negative" changes are we, the consumer, responsible for? The towels animals are just the tip of the iceberg regarding guests higher demands and expectations that are truly unreasonable. Because of the "drama" involved when some doesn't get what used to be random "magic" is it unreasonable that Disney or any other company, would discontinue some things? After all, when "magic" becomes "mandatory" it is no longer "magic"

I was thinking the same thing. Granted I was going to DL 10 years ago and just started my trips to WDW in 2003, but honestly I can't see how my trips *overall* are any less magical now than they were then. I wish we had the internet in the form it is today 10-20 years ago, I'm sure we would have had just as many complaints and critics posting then too.

I was talking to my MIL about this yesterday and she said the fact that they refunded his entire stay would be extremely magical for her. "Like Christmas in July" she said. ;)

Wow, there are some real cynics out there! Maybe I'm naive, but I tend to believe what he said happened really happened. And I think he really believes it was the worst stay of his life.

But I see nothing that warrants the worst hotel stay of someone's life, unless that person has always stayed at finer hotels and also been quite lucky. I haven't travelled that extensively and have had plenty of worse stays than what was described.

It's also funny to note how offended people got with his criticism of Disney, but then went on to say "but let me tell you about the issues I've had". People on these boards certainly have a lot of pride in Disney, and I read it like a criticism of a family member. It's ok if you do it, but if someone else tries, you'll rip their head off!

I am sure Crisi's points about booking through CRO are probably on track.

Beast - I feel like most of us HAVE acknowledged that some of Mr. Passy's issues are completely unacceptable. However, one thing that I still find very interesting is that he (a writer) was doing an article on SSR (per him - his original intent) and it appears that he did NO advance research. If he had, he would know it was still under construction. If he had, he would have known it was 100% a DVC property that has a few cash rooms available (and the differences that might cause for his stay from a typical hotel room on property). He also came onto this site, with Pete's permission, asking people about their experiences, to which he got mostly very positive reviews and he choose to expand greatly on the much smaller percent of negative reviews. As tjkraz pointed out, once he discovered such high percentage of repeat customers (75%) and a 90% satisfaction with the customer service at Disney, maybe it should have dawned on him that some things in his original thinking were not balance. He choose a slant.

Rinkwide - if it makes Disney stand up and pay better attention - fantastic. However, I suspect they will read it much like many of us have and wonder about this gentlemen's intent and comments. (also, this trip to SSR was some time ago and I think that most people that have been to SSR in the last few months have reports that things are running much more smoothly - which indicates to me that Disney figured out there was a problem and have been working to improve on things).

Its been interesting to me, reading the DVC perspective and then going to other parts of this board and reading what people are thinking. I know that we are WAY more informed than the general public and of course the DVC section is way more informed about DVC than a non-DVC DISer. I do love Disney and maybe its because I have only been a regular guest for the last couple of years that I have not seen the deplorable conditions people speak of. I was glad when the 50th celebration took off finally, because I feel like a LOT of activity was geared towards it (more rides down for maintenance and refurbing, etc) and now its back to business as usual. Either I am blind or other people walk around the parks searching out negatives. I don't see all this low maintenance. I don't run into grumpy CMs (so far I have had more WOW CMs than even luke warm). Maybe its all about our own outlook - not really sure. All I know is that what I see, I like. If they can improve, then please do :) if not, I am pretty darn pleased to spend vacations there for a long time to come.

Laura

As I always tell my co-workers and kids -- Hey, Reality and Eutopia just don't always co-exist... Disney was designed to give folks the perception that those two entities COULD combine, but increasingly, let's face it, everything is under society's TOME philosophy (They Owe Me). These days, when life hands people lemons... they wanna throw them at someone. If you are at the receiving end of those "lemons" (and if you also are facing the constraints of pay freeze, lost benefits, etc -- your own personal lemon tree!), well, even the sweetest person with the world's greatest work ethic could sour over time. Personal service is bound to suffer.

Does any of this make it "right"? Does knowing this make us feel any better?

Nah. Even if we "know" that say, a newbie CM made an honest mistake, or the computer has a nasty billing glitch, or our housekeeper just wasn't into the latest towel origami.... we will keep a score card over the course of our trip of these events and feel that twinge -- no matter how big or how tiny -- of disappointment that something has "marred" what was going to be "perfect". And people will feel inclined to tell others, to share the kinks in the grand plan. Look how many trip reports obsess over the bad points -- look how trips reports with wild tales of woe are widely read! (I'm guilty of readin' em... even have been known to write my own pitiparty lines now and then...) And people will strangely tune into this sad prose far more closely than our praise. Face it, "Done Wrong" sells.

And just as what goes up must come down -- people will invariably, whether conscious of it or not -- look for something to bring their "downs" back "up".... usually in the form of some sort of compensation. Frankly, I think the fact that SSR found an air mattress was especially creative of them, (I too share the image of the short-straw CM or summer kid being dispatched to the nearest Wal-Mart, LOL!) Giving the person a larger room was more than generous. But refunding their money? Seems a bit over the top. Especially given that the refunding obviously happened well past the actual stay (after all, why didn't they just refund during the whole $750 billing event...) As for what should be the "norm" -- where is that written? Who are these "hospitatily experts" and what in fact IS the established "norm" for vacation compensation? Disney always seemed to me to be among the most generous of businesses in that regard -- my DH swears their policy is "Just make the problem goooo awayyyyyyyy..." So does this "Hoteliers Code of Compensation" vary with hotel grade, too? (Wine at the Waldorf, applejuice at the All Stars?)

And here's a question -- should any person in a WDW resort, if a similar chain of events occurs to them, receive the exact same treatment? Society as it is, don't think for a second someone won't try it. "Hey, HE got an air mattress AND a bigger room AND his moolah back -- why not ME?" I can only imagine the # of calls WDW will get for a rollaway in the weeks to come.

I think the author decided at some point to change his topic and do a piece on Disney's declining customer service, and catered to that type audience. I have no issue with that change of mind or topic -- it's a free country, he's entitled to write it -- it doesn't mean I have to read it or agree. Some of the data was misleading -- but find me an article in today's news that isn't. I think quality and service have declined at WDW over the past 10 yrs -- but again, find me a place that hasn't. Business focus so heavily placed on the almighty profit margin and bottom line, and Disney as a business can be a tough concept for some to swallow when you connect it so tightly to vacation memories and personal feelings. I doubt anything in that article was news to Disney -- heck, they probably said, "THAT'S all that happened? Whew!"

I will confess, though, that I'm bothered about the whole reimbursement thing for the author. I just don't see where that was in any way justified. And because DIsney IS a business, and because I own a piece (although microscopic!) of that business, I resent it when I see "my company" being forced to compensate due to a customer's sheer devil-doggin'. If you are after resolution of the problem (i.e. sleeping accommodations) then the air mattress should fit as neatly into that plan as a rollaway (frankly, the rollaways can be quite uncomfy!) Certainly a larger room is a true improvement (after all, a real bed is a TRUE upgrade from the rollaway you originally agreed upon.) And a billing error -- fixing that is good payback. A call at 1 am? A lapse in timing judgement on an otherwise ok idea. Construction occurring? Yes, it's happening -- but to me that issue falls under guest negligence. If you are writing about SSR you would do your homework and know it's still under construction, and even if WDW said, "not a problem" you would still surely surmise that the effort would be VISIBLE while on the grounds. Not sure how WDW is at fault for that in a cash-liable way. As for CM attitude in dealing with the minor issues (cash register / computer glitches, food service, etc) well again, maybe not a pleasant experience. I always try to be as positive as possible in those situations -- and it usually is reflected back to me, often gratefully in fact. After all, that CM doesn't want to be stuck with a jammed computer (and potentially nasty patrons, in some cases) any more than you want to stand there idly holding your ham sandwich for the next 20 minutes. Frustrating, yes -- a cause for cash reimbursement, no. As for the thread link posted (woman at AllStars promised connnected rooms), well, I think she was dealt a nasty blow that possibly -- possibly -- could have been reconciled with better negotiations at the time. I would have pressed WDW to find something else -- if not that night, the next day. I think finding ANY room at a hotel -- especially All Stars -- that is "quiet" is like asking for an honest politician, though. The CMs have no way of knowing who will be noisy. And that can be very tough to enforce -- they would have to literally sit on those teens' mouths. CMs or even police can come say something, but as soon as they leave, chaos ensues...kids are like that (especially the unruly, poorly supervised ones). Her DH is probably onto something by suggesting they hold out for a deluxe -- I'd say a moderate might work too though. I also think she's under incredible pressures with a special needs child and perhaps WDW's lack of streamlined communications is making things worse... I'd say she's owed a phone card and someone willing to get her plans for this trip RIGHT without all the worries, if nothing else! THe fact that WDW promised her a connecting room and didn't provide is an issue that might just merit compensation -- but to me, that's something best done right there, on the spot, making it a win-win there, not after the trip is already over. They were probably just too darn tired / frustrated to optimally negotiate that. Maybe the writer of the news article can give them HIS payout -- it's more warranted for them than him.

After going to Disneyland a lot during the mid to late 80's - early 90's, we took a break for 10 years or so. (Not by choice, but rather due to a move, house buying expenses, etc).

However, we are gearing up for yearly trips once more, and took our first last December.

I was *not* looking for differences, but I did notice a few that differences at Disnelyand during the past decade or more.

The arrival of Pin Trading is a *wonderful* new bit of magic. I had no clue about it the first day, since I don't collect pins. But we figured it out by the 2nd day, bought a lanyard and two pins for each of my daughters. They then spent the remaining 4 or 5 days trading with cast members. They each started with two pins and ended with two pins, and traded I don't know how many times in between. This opportunity for interaction with *all* the CM's (including CM's just manning doors or in other jobs that my children would perhaps not normally notice) was wonderful for them, and I believe they enjoyed meeting the CM's as much as any ride they went on (well, almost .. Pirates and Soaring were pretty big hits).

On the down side, I have to say that I did notice more trash in the park. In particular, trash in the water around the castle, trash in the line areas, etc. Much less than you would see at your typical amusement park, but it was definitely noticeable, wheras in the '80s, it wasn't.

Other things that folks have mentioned, such as fading paint, construction work, mismatched pavement colors, I didn't notice, nor was I looking for them.

It's still my favorite and happiest place to be. But if I could have Disney spend money on only one thing, it would definitely be a return to the days when the sight of trash in the water or in a corner of a line was a rare, rather than an acceptable event.

-Shawn

The opening day of Disneyland was probably the low point of Disney parks. But look what Walt did to make it better.

As WDW changes and grows and adapts to our shifting world, spit will happen. How they deal with it is what will make the difference -- or not. I'm not selling my DIS stock or DVC.

I've never had a big problem with DVC or WDW. Really not even a minor one comes to mind. So it's hard to imagine. Although with hundreds of thousands of people passing through there every day I'm sure things go wrong so I don't have any problem believing a story like this one.

Can I get a full refund for my subscription to the Times, because they lied to me about a number of stories and issues. Also my dinner was disturbed when a telephone called and ask if I would re-subscribe

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Does the N.Y. Times have any credibility left? :confused3 :confused3 :)

Keeping in mind this room was over $300 a night I do believe the service was not up par for a room of costing over $300 a night charge. When a person pays this kind of money they really do expect much better than average service. Not every stay is going to be perfect and obviously there were going to be some problems. I have to say I have been to Disney over 20 times and do feel there have been some cost cutting that has effected the service and room quality. My last stay of February was not perfect and my biggest problem was for a room costing over $300 service/room just was not up to par with other hotels charging the same.

I stilll love Disney though.

tigger002 said:
Keeping in mind this room was over $300 a night I do believe the service was not up par for a room of costing over $300 a night charge. When a person pays this kind of money they really do expect much better than average service. Not every stay is going to be perfect and obviously there were going to be some problems. I have to say I have been to Disney over 20 times and do feel there have been some cost cutting that has effected the service and room quality. My last stay of February was not perfect and my biggest problem was for a room costing over $300 service/room just was not up to par with other hotels charging the same.

I stilll love Disney though.

And did you get your entire trip refunded? And did they offer you a free vacation to make up for it? According to the Mr. Passy and his vague "hospitality sources", that's the least they should have done. Or were you treated like 99% of the other cases I read about with issues--The cms at WDW tried to resolve what was unsatisfactory, you received an apology, and little, if any, compensation, financial or otherwise?

I don't doubt Disney messes up, it would be impossible for any business that has as many guests as WDW not to have some problems. It's Mr. Passy's slanted viewpoint of accentuating the negative, and his getting a full refund for problems that were either relatively minor or dealt with while he was there that I take umbrage at.

JimMIA said:
I don't mean to pile on here, but I would like to get this straight in my own mind...the items above were the BIG things???

The reason I ask is a very wise mentor of mine once told me, "You can tell the size of a man by the size of the things that make him mad."

LOVE IT!! :rotfl2:

I'm still trying to figure out why he needed the rollaway bed, unless it was a test in the first place. I question whether it wasn't already known that they are not allowed/provided. Also, about the construction noise - perhaps he shouldn't have stayed in a resort that is still "under construction"...:rolleyes1 Sometimes people see what they want to see...

rinkwide said:
...Is there anyone here who thinks Disney's standard of service and maintenance has improved in the last 10 years?

After spending $2.45/gallon for gas this evening, is there anyone here who thinks the oil companies standard of service and maintenance has improved in the last 10 years?

It's why we call them the good old days. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter