Room Views (or lack of them!)

coolcats

Earning My Ears
Just returned from visiting OKW and BCV, and I have to say I am mega disappointed with the views on offer at both resorts for people checking into studio accomodations. Why do disney think we want to spend time looking at thick foliage, bush scrub, and on the whole a lot of trees??

I know they cannot guarantee views but surely they can cut it back now and again so you can actually see something. We had three attempts at OKW and three attempts at BCV trying to get a room with natural light comming through the window!!!

Should the BCV not operate as the BWV with different points required for restricted views ie service roads and overgrown areas?? Water views/pool views/firework views should be top points but restricted views should be less points.

:cheer2: :earsboy:

I LOVE the woods view--makes you feel away from the crowds. You had better not go to Hilton Head! Wonderful 300 yr old Oaks and all natural setting.

I'm sorry you didn't like the views. We usually are in studios, and we had a great 3rd floor OKW studio view. We were at BCV one time and could view Illuminations, but also the roof of Soarin and you definitely could hear the service road that's in back of the pine trees. That was not a view that I would pay extra for, but maybe some would.

I really like standard view BWV for the points, but also we've had some decent "views" too. I had a preferred view recently and it was wonderful too, sort of the boardwalk, but not exactly.

Better luck next time!

rwc :teeth:

all first floor views are not the best.

if you got a bad second floor or higher view - then next time ask for a water view.

first floor views on studios have always been pretty bad compared to the others.

even if you get a decent view you are right next to the air conditioning units.

As a timeshare, I suspect it was originally expected that folks would mostly be staying in 1 and 2 bedroom villas, so the studios are just unused second bedrooms, and didn't need to have the views that the living rooms do.

Well... no matter what they do someone will be unhappy.

My theory is that if a specific view/unit is VERY important to you DVC may not be the best choice. At other timeshares you buy unit x for week y so you are more guranteed to get what you want.

Personally since I like to sit on the patio in my house coat, I perfer the OKW isolation!

sigillaria said:
... You had better not go to Hilton Head! Wonderful 300 yr old Oaks and all natural setting ...
;) Ain't that the truth! Just got back from my first visit and had 3rd floor studio 1135 (I think) - only the one window onto the patio (OKW studios have 2 windows; one either end) and it was completely, totally, top to bottom, side to side, blocked by a tree. Didn't spoil our stay though - part of the charm of the resort - and someone has to have these rooms!

Personally since I like to sit on the patio in my house coat, I perfer the OKW isolation!

With the exception that I use a bathrobe ;) -- I agree completely! So relaxing even if you're "just" looking at troprical folliage :)

Generally, brush is used to screen guests from service areas, or in some cases, from highways or roads. That enhances the view, IMHO, and am very glad DVC maintains it that way.

bicker said:
Generally, brush is used to screen guests from service areas, or in some cases, from highways or roads. That enhances the view, IMHO, and am very glad DVC maintains it that way.
I agree with that, Bicker. Building 29 at OKW has a lot of heavy foliage that seems to hem in the first floor, but building 29 is extrememly close to the fairway, and if that foliage wasn't there, golf balls would be flying through the windows! I also remember someone commenting on the foliage at building 11, but that is a similar situation. Disney is pretty good at putting resorts and attractions close together but making the themeing feel like they are worlds apart. I suspect you wouldn't want the original view.

DVCconvert said:
With the exception that I use a bathrobe ;) -- I agree completely! So relaxing even if you're "just" looking at troprical folliage :)

I was going to say the same thing, but you said it first :)!

I agree!! I enjoy my morning coffee hiding behind all the greenery in my Mickey jams! :goodvibes

dianeschlicht said:
I agree with that, Bicker. Building 29 at OKW has a lot of heavy foliage that seems to hem in the first floor, but building 29 is extrememly close to the fairway, and if that foliage wasn't there, golf balls would be flying through the windows! I also remember someone commenting on the foliage at building 11, but that is a similar situation. Disney is pretty good at putting resorts and attractions close together but making the themeing feel like they are worlds apart. I suspect you wouldn't want the original view.

Or worse, those golf balls would be flying into people's heads! That would make sitting on the balcony a pretty dangerous activity.

dvc and ms has already say they will NEVER do another points chart like BWV.

it is too complicated.

especially when CRO guest can also reserve the standard view. (they pay the same so it isn't a deal for them)

I got a pretty nice view at BCV - of Spaceship Earth - of course there were a bunch of trees between me and SE, too.

all the DVC resorts have bad reviews. VWL is most woods. BWV has some pretty bad review on the preferred side.

just remember you will be back and next time you might just get a GREAT view!!!

coolcats said:
Should the BCV not operate as the BWV with different points required for restricted views ie service roads and overgrown areas?? Water views/pool views/firework views should be top points but restricted views should be less points.
:cheer2: :earsboy:

I can see what you mean but we dont really care to much because its all good to be at the EPCOT area, just sometimes even better. If we really want a special view we do what we can for the BW View guaranteed-its the best IMHO (view and location).

RWCMATH, sounds like you had a room in the same spot at BCV, that we did last week. We also saw the famous oval! It is a silly looking thing. Did anyone ever find out what it was for?

We did see fireworks over the tops of the trees and I sat on the balcony in my PJs one night. Not as exciting as a BW view or even DTD view at SSR, but we didn't spend too much time in the room anyway.

I love the privacy of OKW studio views. In May we had an awesome golf course view. At BCV's in August we had a great view of the canal and quiet pool.

Simba's Mom said:
Or worse, those golf balls would be flying into people's heads! That would make sitting on the balcony a pretty dangerous activity.

Absolutley, I can only imagine the damage they would cause without all that foliage. While the foliage has certainly grown, OKW was very wooded even when it was new...it is designed that way for a reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter