Room Views (or lack of them!)

Well, OP, come and stay at SSR - I keep reading about how there's not enough trees and shrubbery!

It's kind of funny (in a sad way): for our last pre-DVC trip, we stayed at the Polynesian (tres romantique!) and I did my research like a good planner-boy. I was astounded to read post by folks who actually wanted the beautiful palm trees cut down because they partially obstructed the veiw of a few rooms! Hah - maybe that's what the CR is good for: no obstructed-view rooms :rotfl2:.

Personally, the view doesn't really matter than much to me, either good or bad. Even with a Lagoon View at the Polynesian, an MK view at the CR or a DTD view at SSR, I'm sort of like Chevy Chase in the first "Vacation" movie, looking at the Grand Canyon: OK, yep, looks great....

Be well.

Our last trip, we split our stay between OKW and AKL. Our OKW had a foliage view, so I was really excited to get to AKL and have that awesome savannah view.

But guess what I found out? When there is a great view, everyone is out on their balcony enjoying it, and as such, it is LOUD. AKL has a "U-Shape" to it, so not only were we able to hear all of our neighbors' conversations, but we could also hear people one the other side of the resort. It almost felt like a college spring-break type of atmosphere with people calling out to one another across balconies. No one was rude or inappropriate or anything (like a Spring Break scenario) but still, it just had that feeling. I missed my OKW private balcony after just one night on the savannah.

The view from our balcony is important to us because we use our balcony a lot. I agree with the OP that the views from many of OKW studios and quite a few of BCV villas are not the greatest. We enjoy looking at trees and foilage but not when the entire balcony is surrounded by it along with a very large air conditioning unit beneath you, as many studios at OKW are. We absolutely love BCVs but we do not stay there for the views. There are a large number of villas that face the road. The villas that face this can not only see cars, buses and trucks from the balcony but the noise from the road is also quite loud. We stay at BCV for SAB. We love that pool and spend a lot of time enjoying it during our visits. We just returned from a 10 day stay at BCV and we were at the pool everyday for at least 2-3 hours.
When we want a villa with a view we like a boardwalk view villa or a quiet pool view villa at BWV.

thelobstershanty said:
We enjoy looking at trees and foilage but not when the entire balcony is surrounded by it along with a very large air conditioning unit beneath you, as many studios at OKW are.

I can certainly understand this. Often there is so much foilage that it clouds and darkens the room too much. We personally like bright, sunny, happy rooms, not dreary ones. Request an upper floor next time...this should get you out of the way of the foliage and give you the balcony enjoyment that you look forward to.

mickeysgal said:
I can certainly understand this. Often there is so much foilage that it clouds and darkens the room too much. We personally like bright, sunny, happy rooms, not dreary ones. Request an upper floor next time...this should get you out of the way of the foliage and give you the balcony enjoyment that you look forward to.
Many of the studios located at the end of the buildings have a balcony surrounded by very large bamboo plants--regardless of which floor it is. We have had this on both the 2nd and 3rd floors. The bamboo plants do hide the view of the air conditioning units from the pathway but not from the balcony view.

thelobstershanty said:
Many of the studios located at the end of the buildings have a balcony surrounded by very large bamboo plants--regardless of which floor it is. We have had this on both the 2nd and 3rd floors. The bamboo plants do hide the view of the air conditioning units from the pathway but not from the balcony view.
LOL, well the obvious solution is to stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom! :teeth:

Should the BCV not operate as the BWV with different points required for restricted views ie service roads and overgrown areas?? Water views/pool views/firework views should be top points but restricted views should be less points.
I'd take a view overrun with shrubbery/foliage over the preferred points view I got at BWV----which was the valet parking lot. I couldn't believe the BWV/MS charged preferred view points for the view we had there. Wish I had taken a picture of it, but at the time, I don't think it was worthy of using up the film on my camera.
I've never stayed in a studio at OKW, but we did have a 2 bedroom where the studio portion did have a view obstructed with trees/shrubs. This was building 43. But the view from the main balcony more than made up for it. We love our stays there and find the scenery very relaxing and peaceful. My kids always bring food for the ducks which come right up to our patio. We've had several ground floor unit 1 and 2 bedrooms and never been disappointed. I think it's just the studios that tend to be lesser views, but many consider them private and prefer them. If I were to book a studio at OKW, I'd request an upper floor.
To the OP : Sorry you had a bad experience at OKW and BCV, but I think disappointing views are had at every resort. We were very disappointed with our BWV (preferred)view room---and the general location of the resort doesn't make much difference to us because Epcot is not the main park my kids like to spend time in. If we ever chose to stay at BWV again, I'd be a little more saavy in what to request to avoid the view of the valet parking lot.

Posting this from my balcony overlooking Downtown Disney.... :rotfl:

The only request I made for SSR was for non-smoking, but the very sweet person at MS insisted that he put in a request for high floor, DTD view. At check in (11am) there was a room ready at the Springs, but not a Congress Park studio.

The CM suggested that I wait, and it was definitely worth the wait. Having said that, I have enjoyed my OKW and BWV non-views as well in the past.

Driving around SSR today, it is apparent that there are definitely 'preferred' views here, but they are not allocated as at BWV. But it's a matter of personal taste - I know that others would not be as happy with a great view if it meant that they were out in the boonies of Congress Park. Since I am in my room working much of this weekend, the view and the quick walk to DTD were a bonus.

I think that the best way to approach it is to be open to receiving any type of view. Ask at check in for a brief orientation of the room, and realize that there are really no truly bad views at DVC (except for the dreaded dumpster view! :teeth: )

MiaSRN62 said:
I'd take a view overrun with shrubbery/foliage over the preferred points view I got at BWV----which was the valet parking lot.
Are you sure you had a preferred view? The only rooms that face the valet parking lot are the standard views. The preferred views either face the bordwalk or the canal between BWV and Swan/Dolphin that goes to MGM.

My DH and I have had a BW view, a preferred view overlooking the quiet pool, 2 standard views upper floor overlooking the driveway entrace to BW (which we preferred, great view of Illuminations fireworks), but our last trip a few weeks ago we requested a standard view upper floor and got a room overlooking the valet parking lot and the water pond. I was a bit disappointed as we were thinking we would get the entrance view, but the view wasn't all that bad. I sat on the balcony and watched the waterfowl in the pond. We also could see portions of MGM, TOT etc and the fireworks from Fantasmic.

The view isn't all that important to us I guess, it's just the fact that we are in our home away from home and that makes us happy!!!

Went once in the summer and once in the fall. First time we asked to be moved. We were on the first floor and had 4 a/c units running and two big electrical units humming and even with the door closed it was noisy. Also could not see a spec outside the three story high - what ever they were. The second time I asked for the third floor figuring the brush wouldn't be in the way - guess what? No view. Going in November in a two bedroom so we are hoping that we get a good view. Keeping fingers crossed.

jacalynt said:
Went once in the summer and once in the fall. First time we asked to be moved. We were on the first floor and had 4 a/c units running and two big electrical units humming and even with the door closed it was noisy. Also could not see a spec outside the three story high - what ever they were. The second time I asked for the third floor figuring the brush wouldn't be in the way - guess what? No view. Going in November in a two bedroom so we are hoping that we get a good view. Keeping fingers crossed.
I hope you don't get building 29, because that would be first floor under a GV, and it has a lot of foliage around the balcony, but it is a lovely secluded view, and might be great for some while horrible for others.

Are you sure you had a preferred view? The only rooms that face the valet parking lot are the standard views. The preferred views either face the bordwalk or the canal between BWV and Swan/Dolphin that goes to MGM.
I'm 100% positive. I had questioned it upon our return home----I honestly thought they made a mistake and put me in a standard view. I was placed on a 3-way call with MS and BWV upon returning home. Yes, we had a view of the canal (off in the distance to the right) and could see TOT only if we stood out on the balcony and turned 90 degrees to the right. But 75% of the view was the valet parking lot. I later learned, that rooms just a few down from us, are categorized as standard. So our room must have been right around where they drew the dividing line. I would have much preferred to have had a pool view for the PV points. I'll know what to request next time. We still enjoyed our stay at BWV.....just wasn't thrilled with seeing a "sea of cars" in the parking lot everyday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter