Rope Drop is Tip #1!! A June 2016 TR...updated 10/31 pg 19 post 373 THE END!

Wonderful (almost) ending! It can be so hard to leave, even when you know you're coming back the next year, but at the same time, it's nice to get back to your normal life and your own bed. Like you and @ariane37, I also never unpack the toiletry bag. I like that I never have to worry about packing those essentials because it just stays packed. Also, my family has a little lake house a couple of hours outside of the city, so it's nice to be able to just grab it and go if we decide to head out there for a weekend.

We also visited AoA in 2015 for similar reasons to you - I knew the kids would love it, but I didn't want to deal with the noise and chaos of it. However, we spent all of our time in the Lion King section, as that's my kids' fav there. We never made it over to the Cars area, so I loved seeing those pics! It looks amazing. I really think I would like to stay there some time, but when I know I could rent points and stay at BLT or BCV for less money it's kind of a hard sell...

Looking forward to your final thoughts and the beginning of your 2017 PTR! Just a little more than a month until we book dining ;)

Aw, I like your ending! But before I go any further let me say this: I'm glad you wrote what you did about your dad :) We certainly have the right to complain about our parents (and our kids lol!) but it's always nice to let others know how wonderful we really think they are. I lost my dad unexpectedly 17.5 years ago, when I was 28, and it was very, very hard on me - still is sometimes. We didn't get along well when I was younger and had just started to understand each other and enjoy spending time together when he died. Obviously he never met my boys and that's what upsets me the most, because I know how much joy he would get from them as well as my sisters 3 boys. I'm so glad your boys get to spend so much time with your parents! Never feel guilty about getting aggravated with your dad lol but thank you for sharing all the wonderful things about him.
Thank you for your reply. Just so you know, you got my teary eyed. I am so sorry that you lost your dad unexpectedly. I would be incredibly heart broken if I lost my dad, though we almost have to be ready for it in a way, because my dad has type 1 diabetes and he has had it for 50 years. A lot of diabetics do not live with the disease that long. Fortunately my dad is very active and follows his doctor's directions and I honestly think that is what has kept him as relatively healthy as he is.

About AoA, not sure if I ever talked about this but we stayed in a LM room a few years ago after I begged the boys to do it for me! The theming of the resort is so awesome and I thought the Cars section was done the best. We also really enjoyed the food court. Didn't so much like the walk from the LM section to the main bldg and bus stop and we'd never stayed value before, but I'm glad I got to try it and it's definitely a resort I think most younger kids would love.
I almost think now would be the best time to stay there, while the boys are young, but we just haven't HAD to at this point, so we haven't. But maybe I should be smarter and go the cheaper route and get more days in Disney. Its just hard when we've done the mod and now the deluxe route, to go back to that. I would definitely do it though, if it was the difference in a trip or no trip. This next trip will be good to be deluxe since I am trying to hook DH but maybe the next one could be a value and then I could sneak one in sooner rather than later. I'm sure after this next trip, I'll start running the numbers to present to DH!

FYI, I never unpack our toiletry bag (which is a hanging one). I leave all the little toiletry size things in there and hang it in the spare room closet so it's ready for the next time, and I can easily look and see what needs to be replenished :thumbsup2
Glad to know I am in good company!

I enjoyed your TR and look forward to your next PTR! I know you want to do some things different on your next trip but I know you're glad to have had this one with your parents.
You are most definitely correct. My parents may not get the opportunity to go again, though I hope that isn't true. So I'm glad we all have those memories.

It's always hard to say goodbye to Disney. I'm always way more sad to do it than anyone else. I'm glad you made it by AOA. I want to check it out someday too.

It's great that you'll have these memories with your parents, but making new memories with your DH and kids next will be great too.

To save money we have had a good many stays in the Values. The last 3 trips have been at moderate and it's going to be hard to go back to value but if it means I get Disney I'll do it. Due to some life changes looks like we'll have to cancel June and make a big family Christmas trip. Look for a life update on the trip report coming up.

Wonderful (almost) ending! It can be so hard to leave, even when you know you're coming back the next year, but at the same time, it's nice to get back to your normal life and your own bed.
Well the crazy thing was, we got back and had to leave again a few days later for DH's cousin's wedding in Louisiana! But yes, sometimes it is nice to get back and relax after the go, go, go of a Disney vaca! But I do aspire to add a few days onto a trip, like you guys, so we can have some resort "rest" days! Maybe if I booked a value, I could...but then I might want any resort rest days...lol.

Like you and @ariane37, I also never unpack the toiletry bag. I like that I never have to worry about packing those essentials because it just stays packed. Also, my family has a little lake house a couple of hours outside of the city, so it's nice to be able to just grab it and go if we decide to head out there for a weekend.
A lakehouse sounds nice. We have a few lakes semi close by and I would love to purchase a boat one day so we would have that to get away to often.

We also visited AoA in 2015 for similar reasons to you - I knew the kids would love it, but I didn't want to deal with the noise and chaos of it. However, we spent all of our time in the Lion King section, as that's my kids' fav there. We never made it over to the Cars area, so I loved seeing those pics! It looks amazing. I really think I would like to stay there some time, but when I know I could rent points and stay at BLT or BCV for less money it's kind of a hard sell...
I agree with you on the renting the points and staying deluxe. I will crunch the numbers after the next trip to see what is a better deal for us...since we rented for $10 a point this time, nothing much could beat it....but I'm not sure about next trip. I have a contact within a TA group that does convention type pricing because they book so many rooms, and I will have to see how much that might save us. Regardless, I am ready to do whatever is necessary to get us back and sooner rather than later!

Looking forward to your final thoughts and the beginning of your 2017 PTR! Just a little more than a month until we book dining ;)
I know!! I am ready to get the PTR started so I can float the ADR plans out! And in about a week, we will find out if we get Boulder Ridge Villas at Wilderness Lodge (BRVWL...lol).

It's always hard to say goodbye to Disney. I'm always way more sad to do it than anyone else. I'm glad you made it by AOA. I want to check it out someday too.

It's great that you'll have these memories with your parents, but making new memories with your DH and kids next will be great too.

To save money we have had a good many stays in the Values. The last 3 trips have been at moderate and it's going to be hard to go back to value but if it means I get Disney I'll do it. Due to some life changes looks like we'll have to cancel June and make a big family Christmas trip. Look for a life update on the trip report coming up.
Thanks for your reply. It is definitely tough to leave. I have always said that one of these days, when my boys are older of course, maybe after I'm retired, I'll move to FL and be close to Disney and the beach!

Yes, such wonderful memories have been created at Disney!

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about your cancellation. I hope it wasn't for bad things. I'm kind of hoping it might be for one good thing in particular, but I guess I will find out soon enough!

And yes, I agree about the values. I will do whatever it takes!

Just a few quick notes. I got my MRI results and there is no tear. The MRI is clean. Which is good news, however they really don't know why my knee is hurting, which is a tad upsetting bc it can really get to hurting after I have walked on it a lot or worked out. I'm going to try a few PT sessions but I may just need to wear my brace more often bc it definitely feels better when I do.

I talked with Disney and apparently my doctor never sent my records so I called today to get those sent. Disney is definitely going to pay for my out of pocket costs but they only issue one check at the end to close it out. However, they did say they can pay me as soon as they get the records and just pad it to cover the PT costs. I also found out the MRI was no charge to me, so that's good that I wont have to try to float that until the Disney check comes.

My knee has been ok lately but I haven't been working out because I am still sick (as our now 2 out of 3 other members of our family). I went to my primary care doc Thursday and got a steroid so I hope that boosts my immune system enough to get rid of it. DH and Will (2.5yrs) are dealing with it, too.

We have been having fall fun with a bunch of fall festivals and such, and my birthday is Saturday, so it will be nice to celebrate my 43 years on Earth!

As much as I love Fall, and October is usually my favorite month, it's been tough this year, health wise and financial wise (so many things popped up to ruin my budget), so I'm ready for November!

Just a few quick notes. I got my MRI results and there is no tear. The MRI is clean. Which is good news, however they really don't know why my knee is hurting, which is a tad upsetting bc it can really get to hurting after I have walked on it a lot or worked out. I'm going to try a few PT sessions but I may just need to wear my brace more often bc it definitely feels better when I do.

So glad there's no tear, but sorry it's still bothering you so! I hope the PT sessions help you to get it feeling better.

I talked with Disney and apparently my doctor never sent my records so I called today to get those sent. Disney is definitely going to pay for my out of pocket costs but they only issue one check at the end to close it out. However, they did say they can pay me as soon as they get the records and just pad it to cover the PT costs. I also found out the MRI was no charge to me, so that's good that I wont have to try to float that until the Disney check comes.

My knee has been ok lately but I haven't been working out because I am still sick (as our now 2 out of 3 other members of our family). I went to my primary care doc Thursday and got a steroid so I hope that boosts my immune system enough to get rid of it. DH and Will (2.5yrs) are dealing with it, too.

We have been having fall fun with a bunch of fall festivals and such, and my birthday is Saturday, so it will be nice to celebrate my 43 years on Earth!

As much as I love Fall, and October is usually my favorite month, it's been tough this year, health wise and financial wise (so many things popped up to ruin my budget), so I'm ready for November!

When it rains it pours, right? I know it's cliche, but the saying exists for a reason...

I also hope the sickness works its way out of your household asap. So frustrating when everybody catches it and it just lingers. Today was Cora's first day back at school after being home sick for the past two. I'm desperately hoping no one else picks it up.

Like you I typically love October, but am ready for November (mine is for work reasons, though). Happy early birthday! Are you planning to do anything to celebrate this weekend?

So glad there's no tear, but sorry it's still bothering you so! I hope the PT sessions help you to get it feeling better.
Thank you!!

When it rains it pours, right? I know it's cliche, but the saying exists for a reason...
Ain't that the truth!

I also hope the sickness works its way out of your household asap. So frustrating when everybody catches it and it just lingers. Today was Cora's first day back at school after being home sick for the past two. I'm desperately hoping no one else picks it up.
Honestly, I think it is the weather here in the South. It can't decide if it wants to be fall or not! We are back up in the 80's for the next week, as I am sure you guys probably are, too, if not even hotter! Glad Cora is gettig better and I hope it stays away from the rest of your family!

Like you I typically love October, but am ready for November (mine is for work reasons, though). Happy early birthday! Are you planning to do anything to celebrate this weekend?
It has been a rough October! Yes, we will do a family dinner somewhere. I typically pick Mexican food...great excuse for a margarita, but I may go Japanese steakhouse this year! :)

Sorry about knee still hurting, but glad it not a tear. Hopefully everyone will get better soon. It's pretty hot down here too now. I'm missing last weeks nice cool weather. Looks like we'll be fighting the mosquitoes at the football game tonight.

Happy Early Birthday! I hope you have a great Birthday weekend!:bday::cake:

Sorry about knee still hurting, but glad it not a tear. Hopefully everyone will get better soon. It's pretty hot down here too now. I'm missing last weeks nice cool weather. Looks like we'll be fighting the mosquitoes at the football game tonight.

Happy Early Birthday! I hope you have a great Birthday weekend!:bday::cake:
Thank you!!

Sorry to hear your last day at Disney was so miserable. Between the rain, knee, and fever I'm not sure how you pushed through and still enjoyed AoA the next day.

Good to hear your Dad is really a softy somewhere deep, deep down there ; ) My Mom is very similar she makes it hard to like her a lot of the time, but then she steps up to help us and her grinch heart grows just a little bit.

I can't believe your knee is still bothering you, but glad to hear nothing is damaged. Way to go Disney for stepping up to take care of it though.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us all. Hoping next years trip is injury and stress free. You deserve it!

Sorry to hear your last day at Disney was so miserable. Between the rain, knee, and fever I'm not sure how you pushed through and still enjoyed AoA the next day.
It was an interesting evening, that's for sure!

Good to hear your Dad is really a softy somewhere deep, deep down there ; ) My Mom is very similar she makes it hard to like her a lot of the time, but then she steps up to help us and her grinch heart grows just a little bit.
He has his good days and his bad days...lol.

I can't believe your knee is still bothering you, but glad to hear nothing is damaged. Way to go Disney for stepping up to take care of it though.
I am frustrated about it but I am glad it wasn't a tear! And yes, Disney has been very accommodating, no questions asked really, other than medical records, which is to be expected.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us all. Hoping next years trip is injury and stress free. You deserve it!
Thank you! I hope so, as well!

Final Thoughts

Ok, so this is just gonna be a mish-mash post of some things running through my head about this past trip. Probably no real organization, so hopefully you will bear with me.

Overall, obviously any trip to Disney is better than no trip. So no matter what, it was fun and it was a good time. It was AJ's second trip but the first one he will really remember. It was Will's first trip and even though he was just 2, he still talks about Disney EVERY day! I doubt he remembers many specifics but he knows we went to Disney and that we are going back. He asks to watch Celebrate the Magic and Wishes all the time on YouTube. He talks about Peter Pan and he sings the PotC song and IASW, too. He talks about Dumbo and Nemo. So, I know my boys had an incredible time, so no matter what went wrong, it was ALL totally worth it.

I am fairly proud of myself for adjusting to the real time situation. Basically most of my plans that I had spent hours and hours on, went right out the window...and not because of natural forces, either. Because of one person. But I accepted it fairly quickly, which, I think, really saved the trip for me. It probably helped that I am used to my dad so it really wasn't too much of a surprise.

One thing I do consider this trip as, was a warm up for next year! Since it had been 4 years since our previous trip and there had been a lot of changes, I learned a lot! I hope that never again will there be that many years between trips so I don't have another learning curve like that. Now I can go into next year with some real experience about the current Disney situation, which is very valuable, in my opinion.

I learned to plan for a lot more travel time (between resort and park, between attractions, etc, etc). I do think maybe it won't take as long without my folks around, but honestly it's just too hot and crowded to be rushing around. Besides, there is no hurrying with two young kids anyway. So I'll be better prepared for that and if it takes less time than I plan for, well that's just a bonus.

I am proud of my kids for adapting so well! They truly went with the flow. I mean, it probably was easier to do it at Disney than anywhere because there was just so much fun for them to have, but they logged the park hours like champs!

I am glad that we stuck with the midday breaks every day, even if they were somewhat rushed and caused us to miss out on a bunch of stuff (because we didn't arrive in the morning when we were supposed to). We all needed that break from the heat and crowds. Sometimes all napped, sometimes some napped, sometimes none napped, but we all had that breather and that was very worthwhile. Of course, next year, I am hoping we hit the parks early so that we can get much more done early on and have breaks that aren't as rushed.

Food-wise, the dining plan was sooooo much food. I do see a value in it, as far as not worrying about costs of meals, so we will probably do it again...probably the trip after next, maybe every other trip, until the boys are Disney adults. We aren't doing it this trip because it really isn't conducive to the way we currently eat, however, because of that, I am planning a lot less (character) buffets and more order off the menu type places. So that's why I think maybe we will do it trip after next, so I can go wild on the character meals again. And maybe by then, my boys will be eating more and it will be valuable for that reason, as well.

As far as particular meals...I really loved Cape May and Tusker House the best. Crystal Palace is always a good staple. T-Rex was fine, better for the atmosphere. Hollywood & Vine and Chef Mickey's were fine because of the character interactions but the food was not impressive at all. Yak & Yeti was fine, too, but really not much stood out for me here. Quick service was nothing to write home about but nothing was bad either. As far as BOG, the food was fine, nothing great other than the strawberry cupcake, but, again, the atmosphere made it worthwhile. The quick service is where I feel like we got way too much food with the dining plan and therefore a lot was wasted. I'd have preferred to just get an entree and then maybe grabbed a dessert from somewhere else with better quality (Main Street Bakery, Starring Rolls, etc). And they boys just didn't eat much of anything. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the excitement, I don't know. But they wasted a lot. And they shared all their meals!

I really liked SSR, as far as the quiet and the landscaping and the ease of driving right up to the elevators. But it isn't very "Disney" to me. I'd much rather be more in the middle of things, but Mom really wanted OKW or SSR so, that was fine. We did have our car and drove to all of the parks. My dad has a handicap placard (50 year diabetic) so we were able to park fairly close. We will have our car next year, as well and I would still like to drive to every park but MK. DH says lets take the bus but I'm gonna end up squelching that soon enough.

The 1 bedroom villa was very nice and roomy. We had stayed at SSR in 2012 but only had a studio. I liked the two powder room type areas so multiple people could be getting ready and I loved the washer/dryer. I'm a little worried about what I am going to do in a studio next year. I'm either going to use the laundry room on our breaks, or maybe hand wash some things in the room. Probably a combination of both.

All in all, I enjoyed myself. Obviously, I'm a HUGE Disney fan so there is that. But also, just seeing it through my boys' eyes and seeing my parents with my boys, made it even more special. We will always have those memories together.

Looking ahead....I am ready to get the June 2017 PTR started right now, but it all depends on how much time I have. I am hoping this week sometime. Thursday is the day we can check on switching the resort to Wilderness Lodge. I have been checking availability on the Disney site and it is there for cash ressies, so I am hoping that means there won't be a problem. If there is, we can waitlist it and try for something else, I think. I also have a rough draft of dining (I have had this pretty much since summer...lol) so I will float that out fairly quickly on the PTR, once I get it going, as it is only a little more than a month til ADR day (Dec 5th). I will post the link as soon as I get it started.

To finish, thanks again, to all of you for joining me as I re-lived the journey! I enjoyed sharing it all with you. I appreciate all the comments and the commiseration! :)

THE END!

I missed your post from last Wednesday! Glad the MRI showed no tear but on the other hand, it's even more frustrating most of the time when the doctors find NOTHING :headache: I hope in time, and by that I mean soon, you see improvement in how your knee feels.

I hope you saw my happy bday on facebook! I saw you went with Japanese steakhouse and it looks like you had a good time :)

I love your final thoughts and the way you summed up all the good, especially how much you loved that the boys had a good time despite the setbacks you encountered. The wonderful thing about kids is that they rarely see the setbacks.........and I can't wait to hear later this week if you get WL! You know how badly I want you to be able to stay there ::yes:: I enjoyed reliving your trip with you and will be on the lookout for your PTR!

I missed your post from last Wednesday! Glad the MRI showed no tear but on the other hand, it's even more frustrating most of the time when the doctors find NOTHING :headache: I hope in time, and by that I mean soon, you see improvement in how your knee feels.
Thank you! Yes, that is how I feel completely. I am glad it is not worst case scenario but if it had been, I would have answers. It hasn't been bothering me as much lately but that is because I fell off the workout wagon. :(

I hope you saw my happy bday on facebook! I saw you went with Japanese steakhouse and it looks like you had a good time :)
I did see it and I tried to reply to everyone so I apologize if I missed yours. I enjoyed the steakhouse but it was a rough day. Will and DH are still sick and DH worked that morning so I pretty much was a mom all day, even at the restaurant bc DH skipped it. I also got sick afterward. I have no idea if it was a quick stomach virus or food poisoning but all I did was lie on the couch and then go to bed after the dinner. No birthday drinks for me AT ALL. How sad. :( Fortunately it was a quick turn around and I was fine after some toast yesterday first thing.

I love your final thoughts and the way you summed up all the good, especially how much you loved that the boys had a good time despite the setbacks you encountered. The wonderful thing about kids is that they rarely see the setbacks.........and I can't wait to hear later this week if you get WL! You know how badly I want you to be able to stay there ::yes:: I enjoyed reliving your trip with you and will be on the lookout for your PTR!
Yeh, I mean pretty much a trip to Disney is better than staying home, any time. So I'll take the good with the bad. And, like you said, to the boys it was probably perfect because they had no expectations at all and everything was good to them. Well, except 7DMT for AJ, apparently...HAHAHAHA! And thanks on WL. I mean, the situation is ripe for a good outcome, with all the construction questions still going on and with the availability still showing on the website. But we won't know for certain til that day comes. Thank goodness I only have to wait a few more days! Of course, if we get in there, then I have some questions about if the new DVC studios (in the main lodge) will open before our trip and if it will be possible to switch over? I'm thinking it is going to be a separate booking category and will cost more points, so maybe not. But, I'm getting ahead of myself now, aren't I? ;)

The end??

Ok, now I feel really guilty about how far behind I am on you TR. Better get to reading!

I enjoyed reading along and reliving your trip! You have such good perspective and a really good attitude considering the multiple things that didn't seem to go your way. Next year's trip will surely be a great one because for one, like you said, you learned so much on this trip. And your boys will be a little older and hopefully nobody will get sick, and your dad won't cause you to miss every rope drop! :P Good luck getting WL, it's a really neat place to stay. We have stayed there twice (not DVC), and I've only got good things to say about it so I'm sure you all will love it. Happy planning!!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter