Rope Drop is Tip #1!! A June 2016 TR...updated 10/31 pg 19 post 373 THE END!

I enjoyed reading along and reliving your trip! You have such good perspective and a really good attitude considering the multiple things that didn't seem to go your way. Next year's trip will surely be a great one because for one, like you said, you learned so much on this trip. And your boys will be a little older and hopefully nobody will get sick, and your dad won't cause you to miss every rope drop! :P Good luck getting WL, it's a really neat place to stay. We have stayed there twice (not DVC), and I've only got good things to say about it so I'm sure you all will love it. Happy planning!!! :-)
Thank you so much for reading along! And thank you, again, for the DIS meet!! And yes, I am certain the next trip will be even better than this past one, just because I can apply all the knowledge I learned without anyone else's ideas getting in the way...haha. My DH knows who the Disney expert is in the family! And thanks for the luck on WL. I will find out tomorrow morning!

Oooohh! Post here if you get it or send me a message on FB! I can't wait to find out if you're in :surfweb:
Just as an update, my co-worker texted this afternoon, verifying our choice and any other choices. I said WL, BC, BW, or AKL in that order. She can book the first 7 days tomorrow if it's available and the 8th day on Friday. I checked availability on the Disney site at 5 and it was still there for cash ressies so I hope that means it is available for the points. I will definitely let you know! :)

Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge booked!!!!

OMG, I am so excited!! I literally am about to cry I am so happy! Technically speaking we have booked 6/3-6/10 and my coworker will call tomorrow to change the last night over, as she could only change the first 7 nights today. I feel like I can breath a huge sigh of relief now and planning can continue! Thank you to everyone for all the luck you passed my way!

Heading over to your PTR in just a moment. So happy you got Boulder Ridge Villas. How exciting to really start planning your trip for next year. :banana::banana:

Sorry to hear that your knee is still bothering you but so glad it wasn't torn and you don't have to have surgery.

Love all the pics from AOA. We also went over just to check out all the theming, which is amazing. We decided to have lunch at the resort and then walk around and take pictures. I think I would like to stay there because it is so fun for kids but I really like the Mod resorts so I don't know if I would every actually book there.

Loved your summary. Your kids probably had such a great time because they had no idea there were plans that were being broken and things being missed. They were just going with the flow and enjoying everything that was happening. Taking mid day breaks is always a good thing. My kids are older but we still go back and take breaks in the middle of the afternoon. Lets us all recharge and then get back to the parks and close them out. :)

Enjoyed reading about your trip and looking forward to the next one.

Heading over to your PTR in just a moment. So happy you got Boulder Ridge Villas. How exciting to really start planning your trip for next year. :banana::banana:
Thank you! Now I do feel like one step is complete and it's time to move on to the next one (ADRs)!

Sorry to hear that your knee is still bothering you but so glad it wasn't torn and you don't have to have surgery.
Thank you!

Love all the pics from AOA. We also went over just to check out all the theming, which is amazing. We decided to have lunch at the resort and then walk around and take pictures. I think I would like to stay there because it is so fun for kids but I really like the Mod resorts so I don't know if I would every actually book there.
I'm with you. It's LOOKS fun. But since we have almost always done moderate and recently, deluxe, I'm not sure I would like it as much. But, I definitely would try it if that was my only option!

Loved your summary. Your kids probably had such a great time because they had no idea there were plans that were being broken and things being missed. They were just going with the flow and enjoying everything that was happening. Taking mid day breaks is always a good thing. My kids are older but we still go back and take breaks in the middle of the afternoon. Lets us all recharge and then get back to the parks and close them out. :)
You are right, I'm sure. The boys enjoyed it bc they took it as it came! And yep, midday breaks are just wonderful in the summer.

Enjoyed reading about your trip and looking forward to the next one.
Thanks for joining! :)

I'm just getting back to the DIS after a work-related hiatus. I loved your final thoughts post! I may steal that idea for my TR if you don't mind. I continue to be amazed with how well you went with the flow and adapted on your trip and was glad to see you giving yourself credit for that. And it sounds like it made a real impression on your boys, which is about as much as we can hope for after these things. I'm glad you got to make some great memories this summer and I'm so excited for you for the ones you will make next summer! Heading to your PTR!

I'm just getting back to the DIS after a work-related hiatus.
Again, welcome back!

I loved your final thoughts post! I may steal that idea for my TR if you don't mind.
Definitely do not mind...I'm sure I stole it myself! Lol
I continue to be amazed with how well you went with the flow and adapted on your trip and was glad to see you giving yourself credit for that. And it sounds like it made a real impression on your boys, which is about as much as we can hope for after these things.
Thank you. I'm a lot more go with the flow than I used to be. However, my hubs better follow the plan bc giving in at Disney is over for me! Lol.

I'm glad you got to make some great memories this summer and I'm so excited for you for the ones you will make next summer! Heading to your PTR!
Thank you!

I finally got to read you TR. I had been wanting to, but it got lost amongst my vacations and lifeo_O Great report. I am glad you that you are getting to go back next year. I have to hand it to you for going on vacation without your spouse and with 2 little boys and your parents:scared: I really don't subject anyone else to my Disney trip planning mania except my husband and son. I understand the not eating much. DS is almost 11 and can't even finish a kids meal somedays:sad2:

Glad to hear that your knee isn't worse but sorry to hear that it still hurts. I had a scooter injury about 3 years ago and landed on my left knee on the road. I was wearing padded motorcycle pants, but pavement is hard. I still have issues with it sometimes. I never went to the doctor, because I knew nothing was broken or torn. It was just soft tissue damage. I would try focusing on building strength in your glutes, thighs, and calves. Try to focus on using those big muscles instead of the little ones around the knee.
Can't wait to read about your next trip. Sometimes it feels like these trips are a game, where if you have the best trip ever you win the prize:rotfl2: I learn something new every trip and try to apply it for the next. It will also get easier as the kids get older. Don't feel bad about missing Jungle Book. We were on an adult only trip in July and still missed it. I just felt too tired to do the second show after the first got rained out, especially since we had been hitting rope drop, morning EMH, and staying until park close like every night.

I finally got to read you TR. I had been wanting to, but it got lost amongst my vacations and lifeo_O Great report.
Thank you! I hope it was entertaining!

I am glad you that you are getting to go back next year. I have to hand it to you for going on vacation without your spouse and with 2 little boys and your parents:scared: I really don't subject anyone else to my Disney trip planning mania except my husband and son. I understand the not eating much. DS is almost 11 and can't even finish a kids meal somedays:sad2:
My mom understands my planning craziness....probably more than my hubs bc he hasn't been to Disney in 35 years!!!!! The good thing is, he knows he knows nothing, so he will defer to me for just about everything! Yeh, I guess a trip to Disney is a bit of an overload for kids so eating is way down on the list of priorities!

Glad to hear that your knee isn't worse but sorry to hear that it still hurts. I had a scooter injury about 3 years ago and landed on my left knee on the road. I was wearing padded motorcycle pants, but pavement is hard. I still have issues with it sometimes. I never went to the doctor, because I knew nothing was broken or torn. It was just soft tissue damage. I would try focusing on building strength in your glutes, thighs, and calves. Try to focus on using those big muscles instead of the little ones around the knee.
Sorry to hear about your injury! Yes, the doc said that's what PT will do...strengthen the muscles you mentioned. However,bc PT is a $25 copay, I'm gonna wait til I get this all closed out with Disney so I don't have to front any more money.
Can't wait to read about your next trip. Sometimes it feels like these trips are a game, where if you have the best trip ever you win the prize:rotfl2:
So true...lol.

I learn something new every trip and try to apply it for the next. It will also get easier as the kids get older.
:)

Don't feel bad about missing Jungle Book. We were on an adult only trip in July and still missed it. I just felt too tired to do the second show after the first got rained out, especially since we had been hitting rope drop, morning EMH, and staying until park close like every night.
Completely understandable!

Thanks again for reading!

I just popped over and binge-read your TR after noticing it in your signature on another TR I was reading. Sounds like you had a great trip, if not for a few frustrating things. I would have been soo irritated with all the late starts and lack of concern for the plan! I'm pretty obsessive about things like that, and while you always have to deviate from the schedule once in a while, it would drive me crazy and make me feel a little disrespected to always have to change my plans for someone. But as you said, you know your Dad and what to expect. The things we do for family!! :) I'm looking forward to your June trip and hoping you get to do a few more RD days!

I just popped over and binge-read your TR after noticing it in your signature on another TR I was reading. Sounds like you had a great trip, if not for a few frustrating things. I would have been soo irritated with all the late starts and lack of concern for the plan! I'm pretty obsessive about things like that, and while you always have to deviate from the schedule once in a while, it would drive me crazy and make me feel a little disrespected to always have to change my plans for someone. But as you said, you know your Dad and what to expect. The things we do for family!! :) I'm looking forward to your June trip and hoping you get to do a few more RD days!
Thank you so much for reading! Oh my gosh, I was so frustrated at first! Then I surprised myself by sucking it up and trying to salvage the vacation as best I could. It definitely suffered bc of those set backs but we still had a great time. I feel like I learned so much and will definitely apply those lessons to this trip. And yes, I feel certain we will make more RD this year than last...I mean, even 1 will beat last year's record of ZERO! LOL.

Before I get started with the update, I wanted to post some pre-trip 2017 stuff. I guess I could start a PTR but it seems so early and I want to wait til I get this TR finished first. So I figured I'd just post it here. :)

I decided on our dates: Saturday 6/3 as our arrival date - hopefully mid afternoon; Sunday 6/4 as our first park day; Saturday 6/10 as our last park day; and Sunday 6/11 as departure day.

If I haven't already mentioned it, we are renting points from my co-worker. Our options for resort are SSR, OKW, AKV, BWV, BCV, and VWL (or Boulder Creek Villas I think it is called now). I was convinced I wanted to try BWV, but I've heard some not-so-great reviews lately, so then I started thinking BCV. I mean who doesn't want to swim at Stormalong Bay?? And we had a Cape May ressie this trip so I knew I could check it out. But then I read a few Wilderness Lodge TRs and I started remembering how I had always wanted to stay there. The only reason we didn't this past trip is the construction, really. Well, by June 2017, most, if not all, of that should be finished. And, with spending 3 days at MK, the most difficult and time-consuming park to get to when driving - which we usually do - being as close as WL and only a boat ride away, is very appealing to me. Therefore, I have made my resort decision! WL is the clear winner!

Of course, my coworker will have to wait until 7 months out to put that request in because her home resort is SSR, so it's obviously not guaranteed. In about a week or so, she can make the SSR ressie though! Which is quite exciting!

I've also started looking at dining, but it's so early for that, I'll save that for the actual PTR.

Thanks for indulging me! On to this trip's TR...

Day One 6/4/2016 ~ Arrival

When I last left you, we had just taken off from Lake City, FL and were headed to Disney. I got a text around maybe 10:30 or 11 saying the room wasn’t ready. I was surprised about the text because I hadn’t heard of them sending one saying the room wasn’t ready but then I remembered that I had put 10:30 as our arrival time, so I guess that's why they sent it. I had been 99% sure we wouldn’t arrive by then when I entered that time on online check in, but I preferred putting too early than too late.

It was only supposed to take us about 2.5 hours but it ended up taking longer. I didn’t write it down but we probably had to make a stop or two for the 4 year old to use the facilities somewhere. Once we were close, around 12ish or so, I got another text. Ah, this is the one I was waiting for. I had really been hoping our room would be ready and it was!! We were in room 3425. Not my first or even second choice but it did fit my requests of upper floor, near the elevators, and in The Springs section.

Pretty soon after that, we pulled into Disney and if you can believe it I don’t have a photo! I was, again, in the third row so I didn’t have a good shot. I told my mom to take one and I think she did but guess what…I never got it from her. Oops. However, I did get this one:

View attachment 177673

Around 1pm, we were pulling up to building 5 and heading up to our room. That’s right, we bypassed check in and just went straight to the room. I think I like me some online check in! I took a video of the room, but it’s not the best quality so I won’t subject you all. It was a 1 bedroom villa with a sitting area with pull out couch, full kitchen, 2 “bathroom” areas but only one toilet, a bedroom, washer/dryer….very roomy. It totally served our purposes.

We had requested a crib but it wasn’t guaranteed and it wasn’t there and I never even asked about it, so we just set Will up in the pack-n-play that was already in the room.

We got most of our luggage up to the room but then we had several boxes and no easy way to transport them. So we found someone from mousekeeping and we got some handtrucks and got the boxes moved up as well.

By this time, it was getting later than I had planned for, maybe around 3. I had hoped to be at MK by then but that wasn't happening. We needed to eat something and get the stroller from guest services, along with a delivery from Amazon Prime and Garden Grocer. Yes, we went way overboard on the groceries and next summer I definitely plan to scale it back a lot! So we piled in the car and headed to the Carriage House. We had already decided to grab lunch at Artist Palette, the quick service at SSR. We were on the dining plan for this trip.

We all took turns grabbing items. Mom and I went first and while Dad was waiting with the boys, a cast member brought an easel over to the boys with papers and crayons. Wow! I wish I had been there to thank him. How nice! It’s the little touches that set Disney apart, ya know?

We got our refillable mugs so we were able to trade our drinks for another side/snack item each.

Our food:

View attachment 177675
I got the Caprese Flatbread: Olive Oil, Roasted Garlic, Plum Tomatoes, Buffalo Mozzarella, Fresh Basil, and Reduced Balsamic Vinegar, along with a chocolate milk for Will and a cupcake for me. The flatbread was decent and the cupcake was fine, though nothing to write home about.
View attachment 177674
Two of the other sides we got were another chocolate milk for the boys to share in the AM - though I think AJ ended up drinking some of it for this meal instead of his Fanta Orange - and strawberries for Will. Strawberries and blueberries are his favorite foods!
View attachment 177676
Mom got the
Saratoga Salad with Chicken: Field Greens, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Apples, Honey-Roasted Walnuts, Lemon-Poppy Seed Dressing - she subbed for ranch, and Crispy Ciabatta Croutons. She seemed to enjoy it. I don't think she finished it though.
View attachment 177677
View attachment 177679
I got the boys the Chicken Breast Nuggets: 8 pieces with House-made Chips, along with a fruit cup for Mom and Worms in Dirt for AJ. The boys barely touched the nuggets or the worms in dirt and Mom didn't eat the fruit so it got boxed up and taken back to the room (and never eaten, btw).
View attachment 177678

I'm honestly not sure what Dad got as he was on a separate receipt as us. Maybe the Italian Flatbread? In any case, he also got a fruit cup and a side salad. Again, I think he enjoyed it and he ate almost all of it.

Yes, this was an extreme amount of food. And this was par for the course on the dining plan. Therefore, I think I've made the decision to skip it next trip. Honestly, its not even about the money. It makes no difference to me whether I pay less, more, or the same next time. We just don't need all that food at once. I'm a grazer and I'd rather eat a little here and a little there. So we'll see how it works out.

After eating, we grabbed the stroller and the deliveries and quickly headed back to the room to drop the groceries off and get ready to head to Magic Kingdom!

I’ll stop here for now!

Up next: Day One 6/4/2016 ~ Magic Kingdom (part 1)

Thank you for joining! And thanks for the sympathy. It was VERY frustrating but I eventually had to accept it so it wouldn't ruin my vacation!

It is beautiful, quiet, peaceful. Very nice mousekeeping staff that took care of us. Rooms were great. Kiddie splash area at Paddock pool was wonderful. My only complaint is that there really isn't much Disney theming. We went to AoA last thing before we left Disney and the theming there is very much Disney. My boys would've loved it. My parents, not so much. Me, the deluxe/DVC was nice but I would've been okay with whatever. It was nice to be able to go to sleep and come back to breaks with no noises around, though. I'd definitely recommend it but it really just depends on what someone is looking for.

I thought I would end up preferring it mostly because of prepaying and not having to worry about costs and such but honestly I can probably save money by not getting it because I would never order that much food. But again, even if we don't save by not getting it, I'm okay because I just prefer to order what I want and not have to "follow the plan".

Oh and just to show you guys how crazy I really am, I've already drawn up a schedule with some dining, for next year...
View attachment 178527

I just can't help myself. Of course, I'm sure they'll be 1000 changes (or more) before I even book dining, much less go on the trip....

Joining here and really enjoying your trip report! Binge-reading it to catch up :P

Love hearing about the resort, I have never stayed at Saratoga Springs but since DH loves horses is on my maybe list - what park is it closest to? Is that the one that you can walk to Disney Springs?

It's so funny about the flatbreads - we stayed at WL twice and their flatbreads at Roaring Forks were sublime - and then this summer I got the flatbread at Pinochios Village haus at MK - and it was just meh.

Yes my kids were the worst eaters at that age - I also remember waiting on line at Cosmic Rays - only to take four bites or so! o_O

Loved your Olaf photo shoot - that was on my bucket list for this past trip but I couldn't find the spot where it was :worried:

Your list made me laugh - be happy to know there is someone worse than you - I actually type mine out! :upsidedow

Yep we do the same thing too - overdo it arrival day and the day after that - only to be completely fried by day 3

The parks look pretty crowded in your pictures, seems more crowded than when we go in August.

Joining here and really enjoying your trip report! Binge-reading it to catch up :P
Thank you for reading!

what park is it closest to? Is that the one that you can walk to Disney Springs?
Yes, it is right across from Disney Springs.

It's so funny about the flatbreads - we stayed at WL twice and their flatbreads at Roaring Forks were sublime - and then this summer I got the flatbread at Pinochios Village haus at MK - and it was just meh.
Boo hoo...I'll miss the flatbreads from WL. Roaring Fork is closed for refurb! I had planned to order the flatbread, too. Oh well!

Loved your Olaf photo shoot - that was on my bucket list for this past trip but I couldn't find the spot where it was :worried:
It is quite obscure. Have you gotten it figured out for your next trip?

Your list made me laugh - be happy to know there is someone worse than you - I actually type mine out! :upsidedow
I probably would if it was easier to print at my house.

Yep we do the same thing too - overdo it arrival day and the day after that - only to be completely fried by day 3
This year we are NOT going to a park in arrival day. I added a day to the front if the trip for this sole purpose. We will check out the resort and hit Disney Springs.

The parks look pretty crowded in your pictures, seems more crowded than when we go in August.
Do you go mid or late August? I know our schools are already back in by then. But yes, I think early June 2016 was busier than normal.

So just a quick note before the update. I just bought my very first Disney Dooney & Bourke purse tonight! It is a birthday present to myself and I got a very gently used one off eBay to save myself some money. I got the Sketch pattern in a medium tote. I'll be sure to post photos once I receive it!

Day Seven 6/10/2016 ~ SSR Pool Time & Hollywood Studios (part 3)

So last I left you, we headed back to SSR for a break. We took a photo of all the Disney Racers we had bought on the trip, thus far - Will is obsessed with cars and trucks:
View attachment 201532
Will immediately fell asleep and AJ and I finally had enough time to check out the pool. We picked to head to the Paddock Pool because of the splash pad area. They had a little Grill area there so I thought I could grab a drink while he played. When we arrived, however, the drink choices were limited to beer and wine only. I'm not a beer drinker at all. I do drink more than my fair share of wine these days but they were out of the ones I prefer. I still grabbed one, though...lol:
View attachment 201533
AJ really enjoyed himself here and I took a video of him, sliding:

We stayed a tad longer than we were supposed to but I eventually got AJ to leave the area and head back to the room. We did all get ready to go in a timely manner and headed back to DHS, but not before I noticed how warm Will was. I ended up giving him some ibuprofen and off we went. We made it to the gates and through and headed to Indy. We did arrive on time, but just as we did, the skies opened up and it started pouring down. We got into the theatre but we were all steamy with the rain and our ponchos and Will just looked miserable. I ended up leaving the theatre and going back to the stroller to get our diaper backpack for some wipes because I thought rubbing him with the alcohol (on the wipe) might cool him down, as he was still hot.

Eventually the Indy show started but it was still pouring so they didn't even do the full show. We sort of hung out a minute to see if the rain would let up but then they began kicking people out so they could get ready for the next show. We headed toward Sunset Blvd to think about dinner (Sunset Market) and also because we had FPs for ToT.
View attachment 201537
We stopped at the bathrooms because the rain had slowed a bit but then it just started pouring again. We took cover under the FP kiosk area with several other people to just wait it out but it was very cramped in there because the CMs told us we had to leave room for any guests who wanted to use the kiosks. After a while, it wasn't letting up and the boys were getting somewhat restless. Mom and Dad told me to go ride ToT and after double checking with them, I did just that. I mean, it is my favorite ride, after all! Here is my video from the ride:

I do have another horrible ride photo that I'll post:
View attachment 201536
I look pained! But I promise, I wasn't. I really need to study up on where the ride photos get taken so I am prepared next trip...lol.

After this, I got on MDE and moved our VotLM FP to the next show because there was no way we were gonna make it over in time for our scheduled one. We decided to start heading that way, also glancing at the food lines, which were incredibly long at this point - I think it was around 6:30-7 maybe. We kind of talked on the way and pretty much decided to throw in the towel. We knew that JTA was most likely cancelled (I didn't know they did a meet and greet with Vader if that happened...or I would've been on that) and if the rain help up, Fantasmic! probably would be as well. Also, Will was really looking miserable so we decided to stop by First Aid on the way out. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad we did, as he had a 103.1 degree fever, and that was AFTER I had given him the ibuprofen earlier. My poor, poor baby.

They gave us some liquid tylenol to give him and gave us a couple syringes full more to take with us. He did end up cooling down with the tylenol and never spiked a fever again. It actually turns out he had strep but I didn't find that out til we got back home and I took him to the doctor.

We headed back to SSR and decided to have dinner at Artist's Palette again. I didn't take photos of the food but I had a Cheeseburger Flatbread and the boys shared the Nuggets meal again. No clue on the folks' meals. There was some event/activities going on this night at SSR but they had brought it inside because of the rain, so AJ wanted to do some coloring. The CMs gave him some crayons and some coloring sheets to take with him to the food area. After we had all eaten, he and I decided to take the crayons back, not knowing they had actually already cleaned up and were gone. As we were walking though, there was a standing puddle of water on the hardwood floor, right in our path. But guess who didn't notice it until she had slipped and landed right on her knee??? Yeh, that would be me. This is the injury that I sustained at Disney and am still dealing with to this day. As a matter of fact I am going for an MRI tomorrow.

Back to the actual evening though, several people came over to help me and eventually both a custodial worker and a manager type came over. The water was cleaned up, though not before another guest took photos and texted them to me, in case I needed them. The manager got me two medical ice packs, one for right then and one for later. She took my name and said she would call to check on me the next day - which she never did. My knee was bruised and sore but it really didn't bother me too much at the time. I did eventually email Disney and have been in contact with a claims person from there because my knee pain has really gotten worse - I'm actually wearing a brace any time I walk on the treadmill and I have orders for PT. At this point, the claims person said they will take care of all my out of pocket costs but I need to call him back tomorrow and check on it because he wants to wait til everything is all said and done before issuing a check, but I'm not sure how much the MRI is going to end up costing.

After all that, we headed back to the room, as it was getting late and we needed to finish up some laundry and get most of the packing done before bed, as the next day was our departure day. Boo hoo.

Up next: Day Eight 6/11/2016 ~ AoA and Departure Day

So sorry to hear about your knee injury - my mom slipped on a grape this fall and fell on her knee and its still not right/healed.:sad2:

Thank you for reading!

Yes, it is right across from Disney Springs.

Boo hoo...I'll miss the flatbreads from WL. Roaring Fork is closed for refurb! I had planned to order the flatbread, too. Oh well!

It is quite obscure. Have you gotten it figured out for your next trip?

I probably would if it was easier to print at my house.

This year we are NOT going to a park in arrival day. I added a day to the front if the trip for this sole purpose. We will check out the resort and hit Disney Springs.

Do you go mid or late August? I know our schools are already back in by then. But yes, I think early June 2016 was busier than normal.

We usually go early to mid-August, when its hotter than the surface of the sun :P:sunny::sunny:

So sorry to hear about your knee injury - my mom slipped on a grape this fall and fell on her knee and its still not right/healed.:sad2:
Thank you! They never actually ever found anything, regardless it still hurts so I wear the brace whenever I walk on the treadmill and I think I'll get s soft one to wear at Disney. I hope your mom gets the care she needs for her injury!

We usually go early to mid-August, when its hotter than the surface of the sun :P:sunny::sunny:
Ah...a little less crowded but way hot! ThoughJune certainly wasn't mild...lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter