• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope drop/the FL charge - the 44-part saga + Dapper Day pics, etc!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Every time I post an update about the rope drop/Fantasyland approach, I insist that it's to be the last one. Forget I ever said that. Or don't and just get annoyed with me. But it's not my fault. Every time I post an update, Disney (the case can only be) reads it and makes changes so none of us can ever gain insights into their thinking

Overview:
Despite it being Dapper Day, crowds were very reasonable. Throughout the day, FPs for Buzz were never more than five minutes after their pull-time/time of issue.

So: at rope drop this morning, a guest I'd spoken with told me that both castle side paths to FL were open on Saturday. Some friends also conferred with a CM with whom they're acquainted. He assured them/us that was solid intelligence ;-). At the end of the opening spiel, we all advanced on land of fantasy. As several of us approached the Snow White Grotto path, a CM at one of the snack booths directed the group to go the long way around. The problem, of course, was that we knew the guests on the other side wouldn't heed that instruction and neither would most (ahem: all) of the guests on our side. So we cut through the path and moved into FL. I managed to be first in line although I could hear the flap of the sneakers immediately behind me as others tried for the coveted position. That was a good start to the day. We also then walked onto Mr. Toad. Dumbo was nearly a WO and Snow White definitely was. Then, of course, we reported to our commanding officer Buzz Lightyear.

Out of about 13 games, 11 of my scores came through. Fortunately, all of my high-scoring games made it. After several games, we crossed the park and made for Pirates... which was also a walk-on.

Dapper Day was fantastic. I saw some great outfits... and met some fantastic ladies :-). If pictures are worth a thousand words, these should bring at least their face value ;-).

Girl2.jpg

Girls7.jpg

Girls8.jpg

Now: some general Disney views.

FL1.jpg

FL4.jpg

FL5.jpg

The wall that blocked the path between Frontierland and Adventureland is now down and guests may pass freely between the lands (much as when the Berlin Wall came down only far, far more anticipated and historically significant ;-)). Note that the drinking fountains are now gone. We guessed that they'd been removed to make space for the SWGE anticipated surge.
Frontier.jpg

Suckah.jpg

Treats.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get to the park until 1 pm, and was also surprised at how low the crowds were! Even the freeway was empty coming and going. So nice!

Last post in this thread: various park pics.

I ran into David of Fresh Baked fame! After nearly 200 DL park visits, we finally crossed paths. We spoke for a few moments and he was super cool.
Rob & David2.jpg

Rob & David.jpg

You can see how packed the park wasn't today. At nearly 3:50, Pirates has a posted wait-time of 15 minutes... which means it was probably only a ten-minute wait.

Wait times.jpg

After the Buzz breakdown, I was given a Multiple Experiences pass. But for some reason, I got two. One, presumably, for the breakdown and one for my lost FP. ???
ME.jpg

Least personable Cast Member ever! Honestly, I tried to engage Tilly (more like "Killy Joy-ey") in conversation three or four times. She wouldn't even look at me! Come on, lady. If you don't want to talk to guests, don't become a Cast Member! It's simple!! Pssssh. Some people... I reported her to Guest Relations and they explained that she's been a problem for some time but it's hard to get rid of her because her Disney connections run deep and reach back a long way.

Quiet.jpg

Suckah.jpg

Treats.jpg

Lastly, I met board member Greg (sorry, Greg: don't remember your user name. Please feel free to remind me... provided you see this :-)) shortly after rope drop. He was very nice and thanked me for the advice I'd provided recently.

Last edited:

Wow !!! Interesting on the low crowds.
Love all the info and pictures !
You looked very Dapper indeed.
Yay, Buzz is back !!! Scores are so impressive.
Love the Easter candy apple pictures. I never get them, but they are so cute. LOL .... your encounter with Tilly. Love it all.

Last edited:
We found the crowds on Saturday to be quite comfortable as well. FPs for popular rides available throughout the day (although we didn't check for RSR or GOTG). This happened last year on Spring DD Weekend, too. The conflict with Coachella really seems to make a difference in the DD crowds. Fall DD Weekend is much busier. And the 14th was the first day of the blockout period for the promotional tickets, too, so I'm sure that helped lower the crowd levels.

Nice update as always! I was looking at ride times yesterday mid afternoon and they were short indeed!
Lovely pictures of everyone looking so dapper and nice scores!

I always look forward to reading your recap when I get in to work on Mondays

We found the crowds on Saturday to be quite comfortable as well. FPs for popular rides available throughout the day (although we didn't check for RSR or GOTG). This happened last year on Spring DD Weekend, too. The conflict with Coachella really seems to make a difference in the DD crowds. Fall DD Weekend is much busier. And the 14th was the first day of the blockout period for the promotional tickets, too, so I'm sure that helped lower the crowd levels.
I was also there Saturday evening from about 5-11pm. Very pleasant! This was a good weekend overall at Disneyland! :)

Love your pics and recap! Making it down for a Dapper weekend is on my Disney bucket list for sure :) How fun that you met David too, I love FB and caught their live stream from the parks on Sunday.

Thanks for sharing!

Love the pics! So cool that you met Fresh Baked Dave, my son and I met them once!

I will be in the park next Sunday - hoping for similar crowds! ::fingerscrossed::

I meant to mention that I met a very nice lady and her daughter in line at the in-park Starbucks. After we both got our drinks, I asked if she might have a portable charger - my phone was down to 5%. Very kindly, she offered to let me use hers. Moreover, she invited me to join them at their table. We sat together for 30-45 minutes as we sipped, chatted and charged. She was very nice and her eight-year-old daughter was super sweet and charming. Merely another incidence of Disney Magic :-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter