• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Some takeaway lessons from this past weekend's race:

1) You can't beat Mother Nature. No matter who you are, if there's heat and sun, you're likely to be slower. Add on top a sudden rise in heat and humidity over the last couple of days and it makes it near impossible to be heat acclimated.

2) You ran the best you could that day. On another day, maybe you would have been faster. On a different day, maybe you would have been slower. But on that particular day, you did the best you could. As lovers of an outdoor sport, we don't get to control the weather. Which means a 2:30 HM could mean completely different things on different days.

3) Training and the fitness gains from training don't suddenly disappear because we have a tough race. So that's to say, try to never feel like time was wasted in training when the results of the race aren't what you hoped for. You still improved tremendously over the last couple of months. And on a better environment day, maybe you could have done differently. But that fitness is still there, and with good weather come Oct 15th, I have no doubt you'll prove that to yourself.

4) Just as no one training run defines a training cycle, no one race defines a runner. Walk away from this run with lessons learned. It's hard, I know. I've been there more times then I care to admit. But it's tough runs, that remind us to cherish the ones that go well. It makes the victories taste that much sweeter.

I'm excited for October 15th. Oh and don't worry about pacing strategy for that one. I've got that covered for you. :car:

Well if they let us use a car, then we may set a new world record!!! :)
But yeah, I think I'm in a good head space about my half and time to brush my self off and sit on my backside for several days and get back to it.

Great job on your race last weekend! The big local race here was the same day and I was so glad I wasn't registered... The important thing to realize is how awesome you did despite the conditions. I had a similar xp this past spring. My body also doesn't handle heat very well either, in fact I break out in hives from overheating quite regularly. I didn't come close to my goal but I survived and now I'm thriving.

I keep getting emails about that Hot Chocolate race but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The biggest reason is because I really like celebrating Halloween that weekend but I'm a bit too old to be out all night drinking and run the next day. We still haven't decided our Halloween plans though so who knows, maybe I'll find myself in Chicago that morning. I just hope they've figured out the corrals. The only other time I ran it in Chicago (I've also done STL), I had to jump a fence because the race was about to start and the proper queue was taking way too long.

Hey, if you do run it this year just let me know! It's a huge crowd, so not always easy to find people but I'd keep an eye out for you! The good thing is that if you already ran one, you automatically get a preferred corral if you've finished one in 11:30 pace or less (but can also submit a POT.) They give better placement to veterans of the race. It can be a crazy cluster though I'll admit to get into your corral.

Hey. Short on time, but I did read your entire recap and wanted to say how proud I am of you! I know you're disappointed at missing that PR, but to my mind, not every race is going to be a PR. If they were, it would be too easy. Like @DopeyBadger said, you gained the fitness, the skills, and the experience, and will take that in to whatever you decide you want to do next. Also, just reading your recap made me hot and nauseous. Look how many people didn't finish. Look how many people pushed themselves too hard and required medical intervention. You were smart, listened to your body, and made it through, with lessons learned and a respectable time. In conditions like that, I think that's truly an accomplishment... I really do!

Enjoy your rest!

Read it all, and I was reliving my own hot and humid half from just over a week ago, right down to the glorious cold towel given to me at the finish!

Congratulations again on a job well done in difficult conditions!
:yay:

Also appreciate @DopeyBadger's comments about doing your best on that day, and that a 2:30 half can mean different things on different days. So true.

Enjoy the rest and recovery!!

You did an amazing job pushing through and surviving that weather. I honestly don't know that I could have done it. It may not have been the experience (or the time) you were hoping for, but considering the conditions, you definitely did a great job!

I think @DopeyBadger already said everything there is to say, so let's just pretend I said all that before he did, k?

It's weird how little it takes for me to go from "I'm fine" to "Oh god, how'd it get this hot"
I definitely know your struggle and you did really well given the weather. I feel like the above quote is pretty much a summary of how running this weekend felt all around.

Some takeaway lessons from this past weekend's race:

1) You can't beat Mother Nature. No matter who you are, if there's heat and sun, you're likely to be slower. Add on top a sudden rise in heat and humidity over the last couple of days and it makes it near impossible to be heat acclimated.

2) You ran the best you could that day. On another day, maybe you would have been faster. On a different day, maybe you would have been slower. But on that particular day, you did the best you could. As lovers of an outdoor sport, we don't get to control the weather. Which means a 2:30 HM could mean completely different things on different days.

3) Training and the fitness gains from training don't suddenly disappear because we have a tough race. So that's to say, try to never feel like time was wasted in training when the results of the race aren't what you hoped for. You still improved tremendously over the last couple of months. And on a better environment day, maybe you could have done differently. But that fitness is still there, and with good weather come Oct 15th, I have no doubt you'll prove that to yourself.

4) Just as no one training run defines a training cycle, no one race defines a runner. Walk away from this run with lessons learned. It's hard, I know. I've been there more times then I care to admit. But it's tough runs, that remind us to cherish the ones that go well. It makes the victories taste that much sweeter.

I'm excited for October 15th. Oh and don't worry about pacing strategy for that one. I've got that covered for you. :car:

Roxymama, this is all great stuff, especially #3. Training cycles have a cumulative effect, so none of your efforts are ever "wasted". Even if you didn't reach your goals THIS race, your training is going to carry over into the next cycle, and the next, and so on. So much awesomeness still awaits you!

Hey. Short on time, but I did read your entire recap and wanted to say how proud I am of you! I know you're disappointed at missing that PR, but to my mind, not every race is going to be a PR. If they were, it would be too easy. Like @DopeyBadger said, you gained the fitness, the skills, and the experience, and will take that in to whatever you decide you want to do next. Also, just reading your recap made me hot and nauseous. Look how many people didn't finish. Look how many people pushed themselves too hard and required medical intervention. You were smart, listened to your body, and made it through, with lessons learned and a respectable time. In conditions like that, I think that's truly an accomplishment... I really do!

Enjoy your rest!

I am so enjoying my rest!!! I think my kiddo is getting a little antsy with mama wanting to just play dolls on the couch instead of running around the house though. But my quads are not sore today which is a win!

Read it all, and I was reliving my own hot and humid half from just over a week ago, right down to the glorious cold towel given to me at the finish!

Congratulations again on a job well done in difficult conditions!
:yay:

Also appreciate @DopeyBadger's comments about doing your best on that day, and that a 2:30 half can mean different things on different days. So true.

Enjoy the rest and recovery!!

Sorry for giving you flashbacks to your hot race! I'm already starting to get short term memory loss about how bad the heat felt, so that's right on schedule.

I think @DopeyBadger already said everything there is to say, so let's just pretend I said all that before he did, k?

I don't know if I'd want to race @DopeyBadger in anything right now (including getting to a comment first) because he's kind of really well trained at the moment. Wait until after his marathon when he's in recovery and then you can take credit for commenting first :)

Just catching up...I did see your time on the weekend and my first thought was, "wow, in this heat?" You did awesome, and so did @roxyhubby...big congrats! Love the visor :)

Thanks...I'm starting to not feel so bad about my time.
I'm officially a visor convert btw, so much easier to poor gallons of water over your head than a hat!

I definitely know your struggle and you did really well given the weather. I feel like the above quote is pretty much a summary of how running this weekend felt all around.

Let's all rejoice in the fact last weekend and its weather is behind us!!

Roxymama, this is all great stuff, especially #3. Training cycles have a cumulative effect, so none of your efforts are ever "wasted". Even if you didn't reach your goals THIS race, your training is going to carry over into the next cycle, and the next, and so on. So much awesomeness still awaits you!

I agree 100%! I don't want to imagine how I'd be feeling today if I hadn't of stuck to my training.

All that being said, I will not be doing our local 5k this weekend. I'm bowing out so hubby can attempt his sub 30 min. (Everyone throw out positive speed vibes for him.) I'm taking kiddo to ice skating lessons which are at the exact same time. And then we all will meet up to stuff our faces with breakfast food. I'm honestly not sure I'd be able to "hold myself" back from attempting something dumb given that it's been my PR race every year. I'm supposed to be recovering before my next little training for my Milwaukee race few weeks from now. And holding back and forcing myself to run an easy paced 5k in a small local race really doesn't sound that fun for me right now (am I weird, or does that make sense?) I'll do my easy miles to get the dust shaken off out in my neighborhood later in the day at my leisure.

I'm back to catch up after an absolutely crazy week! Love the race report. I'm going to remember "gatoraded" as a verb this weekend! And enjoyed the part about the super fast runners who breeze through the aid stations with no need for the support provided. :) On the other hand, I missed a 1/2 marathon PR by literally 8 seconds at the MKE Running Festival last year, and I probably could have skipped that last aid station . . . but we're not going to spend time obsessing about those things, right?

As for heat, I feel super proud of finishing on those days. I see those medals or shirts and I remember how tough it was and that I got through it. In some ways, I'm more proud of the days I worked hard than the days I ran fast. So I really hope you truly truly feel proud of this accomplishment!!!

Everyone this weekend is posting up PRs and achieving goals and I'm over here satisfied with myself for finally getting my hands on a starbucks iced maple pecan latte @run.minnie.miles . There are no small goals, right?

I was inspired by my fellow runner peeps to hit the pavement this morning and OMG FALL WEATHER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WHY ARE YOU SO GREAT??? (That could just be the caffeine talking) I just kind of ran easy pace to shake off the rust and try out the new shoes. I started with a 12:20 something first mile and just kept running and my second was 11:22 and the last was 11:08. So I settled into an EB just on my own and it was pleasant. Glad I wasn't rustier. And that's all I had time for in the schedule today.

Everyone this weekend is posting up PRs and achieving goals and I'm over here satisfied with myself for finally getting my hands on a starbucks iced maple pecan latte @run.minnie.miles . There are no small goals, right?

I was inspired by my fellow runner peeps to hit the pavement this morning and OMG FALL WEATHER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WHY ARE YOU SO GREAT??? (That could just be the caffeine talking) I just kind of ran easy pace to shake off the rust and try out the new shoes. I started with a 12:20 something first mile and just kept running and my second was 11:22 and the last was 11:08. So I settled into an EB just on my own and it was pleasant. Glad I wasn't rustier. And that's all I had time for in the schedule today.

It really was the most beautiful day!! We need another one two weeks from now!

Congrats @roxyhubby!!

Also ... I forgot about the maple pecan latte. And I went to Starbucks today. And I love pecans. And maple. Oh man. How was it?

It was really good. Not too sweet but then you'd get a lil sugary maple clump (I realize that sounds gross when put like that) and it was really good.

Way to go @roxyhubby !!

Did you like the maple pecan?? I had it again on Friday and think the flavors could maybe be a bit stronger. Mo’ maple! Mo’ pecan!

Yeah I agree. The topping they put on would pack a lil punch but they needed more throughout. Still enjoyed it.

It really was the most beautiful day!! We need another one two weeks from now!

Amen to that! I wish it was this weather during my half race but everything happens for a reason. Maybe it'll make my 10k feel cooler and like I can go faster?

Congrats to @roxyhubby !! And yay for new shoes. So pretty!

Fall weather is heaven right? Nice to get back out there a shake out the legs. Glad you had a good one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter