• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Yay it is October! Yay! Happy October @roxymama

I downloaded an app to do couch to 5k. I started it today! I walked one of the run segments but I ran :)

Sweet!!!! If you need any C25k encouragement that isn't from your annoying little sister (me) than stop by. Lots of peeps here have started from the couch too :)

Star Wars 5k 2019? (too soon to ask?)

MONDAY UPDATE ON AN ACTUAL MONDAY!

giphy.gif

October is finally here! And there's so much happening in life and in running (I mean, technically running has become life too, but y'all know what I mean.) Since I didn't do much of any running last week while in recovery mode my body is now fully like "so, you wanna use me of are you just gonna sit on the couch some more?" I can say that I am definitely feeling rested now which is good because last Monday I felt like roadkill. Both emotionally and physically. But y'all helped me through it and now it's time for the next big thing.

giphy.gif

Milwaukee Marathon 10k is on October 15th
I want to finish in a time under an hour. Anytime under an hour.
I knew I wanted it the moment I crossed the 10k mat in 1:01 during last year's Hot Chocolate 15k. Well maybe not the exact moment, I had to let the shock of me even crossing at that time wear off a little. But then I for sure wanted it badly. Because I KNOW that on that day during one of my best race performances to date, if I hadn't have had 3.1 more miles to run and if I knew that was the finish I could have pushed it in under the hour. I just KNOW IT!
And so now I'm here.
One week ago today I was crossing the 10k mat in a time that was basically what I had done earlier this summer during a "go easy, fun run" but I was going at "pushing it hard" effort. The heat got to me bad that day and doubt crept in.
But I'm sick of doubt.
People on this board were kicking backside and taking names all weekend. Including my handsome husband who wouldn't take no for an answer during his PB even though he was coming off the same horrendous weather from our half experience the weekend prior. And I AM INSPIRED!
So doubt is gonna want to come at me and I'll just say this:
giphy.gif

I think I've come to terms with the possibility that I finish in 1:01 or 1:05 or 59:59 or 57:50 or who the heck even knows at this point. And that there are thousands of 10ks I can sign up for and try again. But until I cross that finish line...I going to be 100% positive I am subbing an hour this time. And I'll deal with the what next after, but not before.

Ok, so I've got this week and next. Hubby is working tonight so it's automatic rest night for me.

@DopeyBadger You Ready? Whatcha got for me? I can handle it (hopefully)
giphy.gif

And just to be clear I am asking for training help and not an apple fritter...even though you probably thought I was asking for an apple fritter.
giphy.gif

How is it October already??? You are so sub-10K ready! Excited for you!

Speaking of.... Did you know that koolaide was invented in my state? Kool, huh? (couldn't help it... And for the record, I don't like the neon colored drink.)

And just to be clear I am asking for training help and not an apple fritter...even though you probably thought I was asking for an apple fritter.
BUT...but fritters...:faint:

(Nothing against a good DB training plan, but i'm STILL thinking about that fritter from his pic and I saw that like 8 hours ago).
You go, girl! Love that attitude and, of course, you can sub a one hour 10K.

giphy.gif
AMAZING gif!! :worship::worship::worship:

Oh and I also believe!
tenor.gif

Love it!!! Your enthusiasm makes me want to switch from the half to the 10K to see this all happen - with or without apple fritters! How can I be running a different distance when all of this excitement is on the 10K course?

You go, girl! Love that attitude and, of course, you can sub a one hour 10K.

giphy.gif

Now this is just awesome - our 18yo would appreciate and I will forward it to him as inspiration for the WDW half in January! Awaiting auditions for Missouri and Ohio schools among a gazillion others. @Ariel484 we're back in November and hopefully the wait at Barrio isn't as long this time!!

Our paces look fairly similar, and with the drive to PUSH, which you have definitely demonstrated, you can totally break the 10K, 1-hour mark!!

Now this is just awesome - our 18yo would appreciate and I will forward it to him as inspiration for the WDW half in January! Awaiting auditions for Missouri and Ohio schools among a gazillion others. @Ariel484 we're back in November and hopefully the wait at Barrio isn't as long this time!!
BARRIO!! Yum! :yay: Now I want some tacos!

Love it!!! Your enthusiasm makes me want to switch from the half to the 10K to see this all happen - with or without apple fritters! How can I be running a different distance when all of this excitement is on the 10K course?

If you run the half I'll get to cheer you at the start and then see if you beat me to finish. A race within a race. I think y'all leave half hour before us. I wonder how corrals will work?

Our paces look fairly similar, and with the drive to PUSH, which you have definitely demonstrated, you can totally break the 10K, 1-hour mark!!

I hope you are right. I'm mostly excited to have a famous tenacious coach pacer to literally push me across the finish. That or drag me over it :)
Whatever it takes!

BARRIO!! Yum! :yay: Now I want some tacos!

Ummm did someone say tacos? Please tell me more.

Ok, so I've got this week and next. Hubby is working tonight so it's automatic rest night for me.
@DopeyBadger You Ready? Whatcha got for me? I can handle it (hopefully)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Do the following:

This week
-First run this week - WU + 8 x 400 at 10k pace (9:14) + CD
-Two runs of 45-60 min easy
-LR of 60-75 min

Next week
-First run this week - WU + 4 x 800 at 10k pace (9:14) + CD
-RACE!

Thoughts?
BUT...but fritters...:faint:

(Nothing against a good DB training plan, but i'm STILL thinking about that fritter from his pic and I saw that like 8 hours ago).

http://www.greenbushbakery.com/index.html

Do the following:

This week
-First run this week - WU + 8 x 400 at 10k pace (9:14) + CD
-LR of 60-75 min

Next week
-First run this week - WU + 4 x 800 at 10k pace (9:14) + CD
-RACE!

Thoughts?

http://www.greenbushbakery.com/index.html

Ok so 400 meter is roughly 1/4 mile. And do you stop and rest in between each Rep and for how long usually? (Sorry if that's such a newbie question. I haven't done tons of speed work)
And then 800 is just shy of 1/2 mile if I #mathed right.
The easy and long runs should be no problem.
Why am I both excited and nervous about that 9:14 number.
Time to start karate chopping my doubt monster again.

Btw: If you just heard tires squealing, that's me and @Ariel484 arriving at that bakery and pounding on the doors :)

Come to Cleveland, we’ll feast on tacos and shop at Sephora (related: I just “achieved” VIB Rouge status, I have issues).
!

That is quite the achievement. I'm going to add you to the list of "personal best" achievers I'm currently inspired by today :)

Ok so 400 meter is roughly 1/4 mile. And do you stop and rest in between each Rep and for how long usually? (Sorry if that's such a newbie question. I haven't done tons of speed work)
And then 800 is just shy of 1/2 mile if I #mathed right.
The easy and long runs should be no problem.
Why am I both excited and nervous about that 9:14 number.
Time to start karate chopping my doubt monster again.

Btw: If you just heard tires squealing, that's me and @Ariel484 arriving at that bakery and pounding on the doors :)

Good question! Do 400 m recovery intervals between each running set. Pace of running interval can be walking or slow running like WU pace.

Don't worry about the pace on race day. I've got it covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter