Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. But I think they will more likely stick with temp checks near the park entrances. They may need security to encourage some folks who have a temp to move along.
the only problem I see with that is that you pay to park your car, get the family out and walk or take the tram to bagcheck and then they tell you, you have a temp and can't come in.
Guest relations outside the parks will have a huge line just to get a refund on the parking fee

the only problem I see with that is that you pay to park your car, get the family out and walk or take the tram to bagcheck and then they tell you, you have a temp and can't come in.
Guest relations outside the parks will have a huge line just to get a refund on the parking fee

I posted last night the protocols from my local Water Park. Not saying Disney would do the same thing, but they mention that they’re taking temperatures while people are in their cars. Maybe they’ll take temperatures before you pay for parking

I posted last night the protocols from my local Water Park. Not saying Disney would do the same thing, but they mention that they’re taking temperatures while people are in their cars. Maybe they’ll take temperatures before you pay for parking
That’s probably a good idea. People will be pretty angry if they pay for parking, get turned away, and then have to wait to get their money back (assuming a line of others who were denied forms).

I think it is more than just the "M" situation when it comes to kids. The younger ones especially will WILL whine about that and
I thought about this the other day. How disappointed will the kids be (and how will they "handle" it in the hot Florida sun) when:
1) "No we can't go to Tom Sawyer's Island - it's closed"
2) "No, we can't go see Cinderella, she isn't home today"
3) "No, we can't go see the Tiki Birds, we aren't allowed to go inside"
4) "I know you're hot, but we have to eat outside right now"
5) "I know you are tired, but the line to get on the bus is really long because they are only letting on half the people"

So is it worth to try and vacation with them when disappointment and "rules" will be around every corner?

This is exactly our thoughts as a family. And we will wait as long as possible to have as many details as possible and then we'll decide together if we go now or next year. It's fine for me or DH to be okay with things, but if half or three quarters of our family may be sad or disappointed by things over and over again, that's just not the kind of trip we want to take.

I get that for some people the saying "A rainy day at Disney is better than a day anywhere else." applies here. And that's fine. And I think if we were local, or if we went once a year, that might apply to us as well. But since we are not local and we know our next trip will likely be 6-7 years away, that saying only applies to us in its most literal sense. We're fine with actual rain, LOL! :D

But if we're going to go this year and we're going to miss out on a bunch of things we were looking forward to doing and have to deal with other inconveniences or things that make our day less comfortable, and we're going to still pay thousands of dollars to do that and we're still going to have to wait 6-7 years for our next trip, then we'd rather wait 1 year and hopefully get to have a more typical Disney experience. :)

We still "really" want to go to Disney, LOL. (I'm not sure why some folks seem to think that if you don't want a diluted experience it means you don't really want to go at all. :confused3 ) We just really want to go to Disney when we can enjoy it in much the same way we have in the past and will likely do in the not terribly distant future. We'd rather exercise a little patience now and hopefully get to do all of the things we were planning. :) If things change and we can do most of what we want in August/September, then we'll go then for sure, but only time will tell and all the speculating in the world doesn't make a difference until there's official word from the actual "World". 😉

Signed Union contracts are a pretty big deal- any changes in them require going back to the negotiating table and that would only delay opening. If you understand how Unions work, it's not realistic to think they'll do that. I have no idea how members feel about wearing masks. But, for now, anyone planning a trip to WDW when they first open should expect that they will be required to wear a mask.

I understand more about union contracts than most. My father was a Teamster's negotiator in the trucking unions. Parts of my childhood and early adult life were a lot like the Sopranos lol. Point being, contracts are a big deal, but this contract seems to be more of an agreement to stipulations to cause the workers to show up on the job site. How this plays out once workers are on the site will be largely up to management and the union reps on site. Also, the general working agreements already in place may have provisions that may supersede this in relation to how provisions are executed at work. If masks and temp checks become something obsolete everywhere else, it will not be enforced by management or the members and their stewards. At the same time, there will be opportunities to increase stringency as needed too.

We are on the same side in terms of masks. I work in business consulting, so my personal opinions come from experience of how businesses navigate decisions, ie., they don't like to make waves. IMHO, Disney does not want to make this decision official, which is why it has not been made official.

Edited to add after reading gottalovepluto's comment below that BIG businesses will make any decision as long as the lawyers say they will get away with it lol. @gottalovepluto answered my question on whether the effectiveness of face coverings really matters....Gaiter, FTW!

Last edited:

I think Disney might stop requiring masks when they know that sitting behind a unmasked screaming contagious person on an indoor roller coaster would not spread the virus to you. Admittedly I don't know much about the aerodynamics of roller coasters.

I’m not a fan of temp checks. If someone pops some Advil before hitting the park... no fever. So not a great indicator

My new obsession is what TYPES of masks will they require. Would a bandana tied around your face be acceptable? Or would something like what is picture below, but made with a tight knit fabric, maybe a smidge longer...

My though is it would still catch droplets coming from me (the point of the mask) yet one is able to drink freely without always removing and touching them.

Thoughts?

EA3AC3B7-0178-49D9-A7CB-6A5A20F0B9A7.jpeg

I’m not a fan of temp checks. If someone pops some Advil before hitting the park... no fever. So not a great indicator

My new obsession is what TYPES of masks will they require. Would a bandana tied around your face be acceptable? Or would something like what is picture below, but made with a tight knit fabric, maybe a smidge longer...

My though is it would still catch droplets coming from me (the point of the mask) yet one is able to drink freely without always removing and touching them.

Thoughts?

View attachment 495029
Imho they will require a face covering for your mouth and nose like CDC suggests. I expect nothing beyond that. I suspect you could make a chiffon mask and as long as it covers your mouth and nose in you go. They don’t give a darn about the science, this about checking “make people feel safe” boxes.

Thoughts?

View attachment 495029

I think this only counts if you get the ones with dangly sequins.

I bring you more news from Efteling (biggest themepark in NL and 3rd park in Europe after Disneyland Paris and EuropaPark in Germany), they have released a video to help inform children how a day at Efteling will go when they open again next week.
It's in Dutch, but some of the icons and signage you should be able to follow without speaking Dutch :) but let me know if you have questions.

In additional news from Efteling, AP holders can pre-order their visit, and at the moment there are over 31K people in the virtual queue to reserve their date.

Last edited:
I think it is more than just the "M" situation when it comes to kids. The younger ones especially will WILL whine about that and
I thought about this the other day. How disappointed will the kids be (and how will they "handle" it in the hot Florida sun) when:
1) "No we can't go to Tom Sawyer's Island - it's closed"
2) "No, we can't go see Cinderella, she isn't home today"
3) "No, we can't go see the Tiki Birds, we aren't allowed to go inside"
4) "I know you're hot, but we have to eat outside right now"
5) "I know you are tired, but the line to get on the bus is really long because they are only letting on half the people"

So is it worth to try and vacation with them when disappointment and "rules" will be around every corner?

So very well said. I think Disney with children will be very challenging for a while.

While I do agree and therefore a lot of families should and will wait, isn't WDW required to open at a highly reduced capacity anyway?

After some time if when things go well, they can start adding activities and attractions and a more traditional vacation can be planned, for those choosing to wait.

But I suspect many will be going as soon as they can regardless. Enough to get the capacity they intend anyway. I could easily be wrong though.

I bring you more news from Efteling (biggest themepark in NL and 3rd park in Europe after Disneyland Paris and EuropaPark in Germany), they have released a video to help inform children how a day at Efteling will go when they open again next week.
It's in Dutch, but some of the icons and signage you should be able to follow without speaking Dutch :) but let me know if you have questions.

In additional news from Efteling AP holders can pre-order their visit, and at the moment there are over 31K people in the virtual queue to reserve their date.

Look at the beautiful, happy faces and smiles of the children! It doesn't look like Plague Efteling. It looks like Magical Efteling. Looks like they are taking reasonable and smart safety precautions to help their guests enjoy their vacations.

Hoping to find a park somewhere in the U.S. this summer that will offer a safe and magical experience like this one.

It might be around until next spring, but businesses and people need to think about the issues of wearing for an extended time.
Hello! Just a quick reminder that the other thread has already been locked for getting into the great mask debate and off-topic posts. Please, please friends, let's try to keep this thread opened and focused on the modifications Disney will be implementing when they reopen and help our moderators from having too much work cleaning this thread.

It seems you have a lot of information, so I encourage you to debate it in the TPAS Community Board thread specifically set up to discuss face masks:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-do-you-feel-about-wearing-a-mask-at-disney-parks.3801147/

Last edited:
My point was/is if CDC removes the mask guidance in the next month (data showing there is a possibility that might happen, but that is for another thread), prior to park opening, the union agreement will be revised quickly. They negotiated to require masks in less than a month. However like yulilin3 said it is best to plan for wearing a mask when they open.

Ok in the interest of keeping this thread on topic has anyone heard anything about mickeys not so scary Halloween? I have a reservation in Oct and. was planning on attending since oct dates published earlier fit but haven’t heard! I just heard several midnight Magic’s were canceled but the dates were in June I believe and the parks may be closed still! What about food and wine will that go on since my reservation allows me to do both in early oct I believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter