Rumored Changes to G+

Why can't one approach Disney parks the same way as Universal? Just pick the rides you want and get on them via Standby, VQ, Genie+ and/or iLL. You have multiple options to get on a ride at Disney, but only Standby or Express at Universal. Let's skip VIP tours for now since a typical guest wouldn't be interested in these.

I agree the Express Pass system is superior, but it would cost probably $500/person at Disney. Most guests wouldn't be excited about that.

ADR has always been easy to get, even before the pandemic. Guests spend a lot of time booking, but they cancel many at the last minute, too. The Quick Services are better at Disney, mainly because they're quick.
Love those mobile orders. Got the order while on the bus, click 'I am here' as you pull in timing down at AKV on that end of the night Mara snack before heading back up to the room. So convenient having it all ready.

LOL ....this is actually my favorite part of vacation planning. I make a spreadsheet with tips and plans for all my trips and a WDW is one of the most satisfying, as it has so much to plan. For me it is therapy and a way to relax, allows me to obsess and look forward to an upcoming trip. My husband loves having it all planned out. Occasionally tells me a brewery or record/comic shop he wants to visit.
You are my twin!

Yes, this is me. I don't have the urge to dissect G+ further since we already get everything we want. While I may be among the very first group to use G+, I'm happy to not evolved with it, and I certainly don't need a doctorate in Genie+ology. After all, these are just amusement parks. There's no need to stress over a fun vacation. 😉
If you are able to tell yourself you'll be back and quickly it's a different mindset than someone who is only able to say confidentially they'll be going this time, maybe another time in the future. There are absolutely people who go to Disney without much research, always been that way. There are differences in how that looks now with Genie+/ILL as opposed to even FP+ days however.
Just pick the rides you want and get on them via Standby, VQ, Genie+ and/or iLL. You have multiple options to get on a ride at Disney, but only Standby or Express at Universal. Let's skip VIP tours for now since a typical guest wouldn't be interested in these.
I'm not quite certain if you realize how much you showed the complexity in Disney's system in the same breath as saying why we can't approach Disney like Universal.

You can't just pick the rides you want and decide to ride them via Standby, VQ, Genie+ or ILL and it's crazy TBH that you have all of those options to familiarize yourself with which is part of the complaints with Disney's system. Universal will net you arguably on average have a higher chance of getting on an attraction you want and with less stress than at Disney. It's a bit like adding more lanes to a highway to ease traffic which often nets more traffic, more options does not mean less stress or more success. And when those options come with their own mini-bullet points underneath..

If a ride is operating via VQ only you need to first know what that means as in that's the only way to ride it, then you need to know how to join the queue, then you need to know the different drop times, then you need to work that in with your plans and be ready at a moment's notice for your group to be called, then you need to know that your group may not be called for that day thus no you can't just pick a ride and go on about your day. Rides can operate with both VQ and ILL to ride (I think new rides operate first on VQ only though) but both are contingent on knowing those two things, the rules around them, etc.

If a ride is operating with ILL first you need to know what that is and that it's separate from Genie+, then you need to know the rules surrounding ILL.

If a ride is operating on Genie+ you need to know what that is, that it's separate from VQ or ILL, you need to know the rules surrounding that as well.

Standby luckily is self-explanatory.

"after all these are just amusement parks"...say that part a few times out loud and it's a bit clear that for a theme park, like many of us have said, it's overly complicated and each new system Disney introduces just increases this complexity. I think people would love to have a very simple way of touring "just an amusement park" unfortunately that often isn't how Disney likes it. And to your point about it being a fun vacation, for enough people that's what sucks the fun out of it all.

People spend thousands of dollars on tickets and show up and use paper maps.
Paper maps are awesome! I like to people watch and look over the maps while my husband rides rides I don't want. Plus have you tried to use MDE??? It's not the most user friendly even just for navigation of the parks.

Every trip I bring home my maps. I'm not sure why you'd equate paper maps to ignorance. Now I understand your point if you're talking about not using MDE app at all if a guest intended to use Genie+ or ILL because the app is the way to use those but spending thousands of dollars and use paper maps is a weird attempt at an insult.

have also seen families walk up to tron and guardians and be baffled it is a virtual queue
That's kinda a weird part of Disney though. In general VQs aren't the most common thing out there for theme parks and it does require a phone with the MDE app to enroll in VQ.
I have seen annual pass holders get turned away bc they didnt make a reservation.
That might be a combination of infrequent AP holders who may or may not live in or near Disney and the ever changing rules surrounding reservations rules. AP holders have some interesting rules regarding when they do and don't need a reservation from what park you want, what day of the week it is, what time of the day it is and now good to go days.

Like right now an AP holder can't go to MK on a Saturday or Sunday without a reservation but can go to DHS after 2pm or to DHS any time if it's a good to go day. It's a weird system and even AP holders themselves are frustrated with the rules (especially the 2pm rule).

And then there's the caveat that a good to go day as advised from Disney themselves may be released days or weeks in advanced periodically to add to the kinda wackiness that is going on.

I expect changes to be announced before Valentines Day or at the latest March 1st. I only say this because if they might allow things to be booked a few months before hand ( who knows ) they would give that amount of time before the spring/summer holidays begin

Regarding virtual queue....if you miss a virtual queue registration or arrival time even due to Disney's fault they will not accommodate you.

Regarding virtual queue....if you miss a virtual queue registration or arrival time even due to Disney's fault they will not accommodate you.
For Guardian’s you can show up anytime. You could have group 15 and tap in right before close. They don’t care as long as you had a group.

For tron they used to be very strict about the hour window. They now are fine for up to 2hours from the time your group is called.

In other words …another thing to know in a long list of things that keep getting updated, modified, changed… added to the list of closures and refurbs and change in operating hours .
Etc…

Reactions: ngl
For Guardian’s you can show up anytime. You could have group 15 and tap in right before close. They don’t care as long as you had a group.

For tron they used to be very strict about the hour window. They now are fine for up to 2hours from the time your group is called.

Add it to the list of rules and exceptions you have to remember or know about

I'm not quite certain if you realize how much you showed the complexity in Disney's system in the same breath as saying why we can't approach Disney like Universal.

You can't just pick the rides you want and decide to ride them via Standby, VQ, Genie+ or ILL and it's crazy TBH that you have all of those options to familiarize yourself with which is part of the complaints with Disney's system. Universal will net you arguably on average have a higher chance of getting on an attraction you want and with less stress than at Disney. It's a bit like adding more lanes to a highway to ease traffic which often nets more traffic, more options does not mean less stress or more success. And when those options come with their own mini-bullet points underneath..

If a ride is operating via VQ only you need to first know what that means as in that's the only way to ride it, then you need to know how to join the queue, then you need to know the different drop times, then you need to work that in with your plans and be ready at a moment's notice for your group to be called, then you need to know that your group may not be called for that day thus no you can't just pick a ride and go on about your day. Rides can operate with both VQ and ILL to ride (I think new rides operate first on VQ only though) but both are contingent on knowing those two things, the rules around them, etc.
Some research is always needed before any trip. VQ, iLL, or whatever is just simple memorization. You're making this more stressful than it really is. Yes, if you want the free VQ then you need to be ready at their beck and call, otherwise choose the iLL and return at your leisure.

n other words …another thing to know in a long list of things that keep getting updated, modified, changed
Not really.

The stated return time is one hour. If you come back in that hour--as it says to do--there's nothing to know. The grace period is intended to help smooth the way for folks who mis-judge how long something will take and show up a little late. It is not at all necessary to "take advantage" of the grace period on purpose, even though some people do.

Some research is always needed before any trip. VQ, iLL, or whatever is just simple memorization. You're making this more stressful than it really is. Yes, if you want the free VQ then you need to be ready at their beck and call, otherwise choose the iLL and return at your leisure.
Nothing against you but I'm sick of this argument that all trips require research. Yes any trip you take requires some research, no other theme park vacation requires a PHD to plan and figure out how to visit. IMO Disney should be as simple to visit as Universal. At the end of the of the day it's a theme park vacation not some luxurious European tour.

I get most of you love spreadsheet planning a trip to Disney and knowing what you are going to do each down to the minute. For my family we do enough of that at home in our everyday lives. We go to theme parks to escape that.

Like right now an AP holder can't go to MK on a Saturday or Sunday without a reservation but can go to DHS after 2pm or to DHS any time if it's a good to go day. It's a weird system and even AP holders themselves are frustrated with the rules (especially the 2pm rule).

And then there's the caveat that a good to go day as advised from Disney themselves may be released days or weeks in advanced periodically to add to the kinda wackiness that is going on.
Or simply spend a few seconds to make a park reservation and forget all about this wackiness.

Agreed the park reservations need to go.

Nothing against you but I'm sick of this argument that all trips require research. Yes any trip you take requires some research, no other theme park vacation requires a PHD to plan and figure out how to visit. IMO Disney should be as simple to visit as Universal. At the end of the of the day it's a theme park vacation not some luxurious European tour.

I get most of you love spreadsheet planning a trip to Disney and knowing what you are going to do each down to the minute. For my family we do enough of that at home in our everyday lives. We go to theme parks to escape that.
Exactly!

I am the person that did spreadsheets in 2017 and in 2022 but I'm sure as heck not going to pretend that it's a tad silly that I'm doing all of that for a Disney trip. In years before that I didn't do it because it wasn't needed.

I'm the researcher like none other when we vacation but I'm not going to pretend that the length at which one would need to do for a basic understanding is a lot for a theme park trip which again is being reminded to us that hey it's just a theme park....yes that is actually the point...it's just a theme park..and one of which that requires more and more when it's just a theme park.

Or simply spend a few seconds to make a park reservation and forget all about this wackiness.

Agreed the park reservations need to go.
The point brought up by the PP to which I spoke about was about knowing about the reservation system...not the actual act of making one. And the rules surrounding APs is wackiness end stop.

Not really.

The stated return time is one hour. If you come back in that hour--as it says to do--there's nothing to know. The grace period is intended to help smooth the way for folks who mis-judge how long something will take and show up a little late. It is not at all necessary to "take advantage" of the grace period on purpose, even though some people do.
So as a first time guest I should know that if I booked a return time and then I go to eat and it takes significantly longer than it should, I should just assume that Disney will or will not honor my reservation?

There are more variables than the vast and management can even keep up with, but we expect a first time guest to be able to figure it out.

I don't research my wdw or dlr trips like I do when I go other places and have spreadsheets with Google maps for each day to make it easier. But with Disney or any other place I go, I am at minimum going to read the plan your visit section, any related pages and the tickets section. I at least want to know what to expect whether it's a theme park, museum, a temple or a mall I want to visit. At minimum I need to know what hours they are open, do they require me to buy a ticket before I get there, what type of bag am I allowed to take in and can I bring water etc.

No one is saying someone need a spreadsheet but if they at least do the minimum to find out about tickets, hours etc they should also come upon Genie + etc. This minimum amount of effort wouldn't take more than 10 to 20 minutes.

People that just walk up at 10am and buy tickets tickets because they want to go to Disney that day probably do it elsewhere and are the ones turning around at the stadium/arena doors because they don't have a clear bag etc.

It's fine to think that a Disney trip is complicated. I personally don't feel that way, that's why I keep pushing back. I agree it would be very nice to have a system like Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter