• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

?s - Dr. Note, Stroller/Wheelchair, Car Seat, Preschooler, etc.

alsligh

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW Dec 1-6 and staying on property at All-Star Music. I have been to WDW 5 times, but this will be the first time with my daughter (or any child, for that matter). She is 2-1/2 with mild CP. She appears completely normal in every way until you see her try to walk. She uses a gait trainer as a walker or crawls - can't walk independently more than 4 or 5 steps.

As I understand it, we can get a GAC for her at the parks that will enable us to use her stroller as a wheelchair at different attractions (is this right?) Do we need to get a note from her ped to obtain the GAC? I have an extremely lightweight stroller with a small basket that I am planning to take with us, but not the gait trainer because it doesn't fold or anything and she pretty much would only use it at the resort (my parents will be going with us, so if she wants to walk someone should always be available to hold her hand).

What about the airlines? What do we do about our stroller when we fly? We are fortunate in that our flight is non-stop from a small airport, but I don't know what we are supposed to do with it. I feel stupid not knowing, but she's just never flown before and she can't walk. I know we will need the stroller when we land in Orlando, rather than waiting for DME to bring it to the hotel. Again, do we need a note from the dr?

What about her car seat? We won't be in an actual car at any time on the trip other than going to and from our airport. Do we have to take a car seat for the bus (we are doing Disney's Magical Express), or can we leave it at home? I know we won't use it going back and forth to the parks.

What about paying for her (primarily meals)? She is young enough to not have to pay for park tickets - should I bring a copy of her birth certificate, just in case? We have the Disney Dining Plan added to our MYW ticket. As I understand, she also will eat free at table service restaurants, but I'm assuming there's no way to do that with the counter service and snacks because they don't see who's eating the food you buy. Is the food included in the plan enough to where my mom and I could share our food with her?

I'm sorry if my questions are stupid - I just am having a hard time getting my arms around all of this information, and our trip is coming up soon.

Thanks in advance...

Andi

alsligh said:
As I understand it, we can get a GAC for her at the parks that will enable us to use her stroller as a wheelchair at different attractions (is this right?) Do we need to get a note from her ped to obtain the GAC?
Don't have time to answer much, but
"yes" you can get a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to use the stroller in lines just like a wheelchair.
"no" you don't need a doctor's note.
What about the airlines? What do we do about our stroller when we fly? We are fortunate in that our flight is non-stop from a small airport, but I don't know what we are supposed to do with it. I feel stupid not knowing, but she's just never flown before and she can't walk. I know we will need the stroller when we land in Orlando, rather than waiting for DME to bring it to the hotel. Again, do we need a note from the dr?
You want to gate check the stroller - you basically take it to the gate with you - you can use it up until boarding and the stroller is delivered back to the gate for you to pick up when you land.
You don't a doctor's note. It would be handled sort of like carry-on luggage. That would be an item you would bring from the gate and use in the airport unitl you get on the DME bus. They can put it with the other carry on items (trust me, yours won't be the only stroller) and you get it from the bus luggage area when you arrive at your resort.
I'll post more details later.
I'm sorry if my questions are stupid - I just am having a hard time getting my arms around all of this information, and our trip is coming up soon.

Thanks in advance...

Andi
And, the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked. Ask as many questions as you like.

First of all, welcome to both disboards and disABILTIES. Next relax and take a deep breath.

alsligh said:
We are going to WDW Dec 1-6 and staying on property at All-Star Music. I have been to WDW 5 times, but this will be the first time with my daughter (or any child, for that matter). She is 2-1/2 with mild CP. She appears completely normal in every way until you see her try to walk. She uses a gait trainer as a walker or crawls - can't walk independently more than 4 or 5 steps.

As I understand it, we can get a GAC for her at the parks that will enable us to use her stroller as a wheelchair at different attractions (is this right?) Do we need to get a note from her ped to obtain the GAC? I have an extremely lightweight stroller with a small basket that I am planning to take with us, but not the gait trainer because it doesn't fold or anything and she pretty much would only use it at the resort (my parents will be going with us, so if she wants to walk someone should always be available to hold her hand).
You do not need to have anything from your doctor. At the first park you go to, go to Guest Services (inside the park) with her and explain your needs (Stoller as wheelchair). They will give you a GAC for her plus up to five additional people in the party; it will be good for all four parks though your day of departure.

Again nothing needed from the doctor. I would suggest calling your airline reservations and asking for "Special Services" or some similar office. Most airlines web sites do give information about disabled travellers.

You should be able to "gate check" the stroller if it cannot be folded and taken on board the aircraft. When an item such as a stroller is gate checked they will take it from you at the boarding area and return it to you where you exit the aircraft and not at baggage claim. Again, confirm this with the airline.

What about her car seat? We won't be in an actual car at any time on the trip other than going to and from our airport. Do we have to take a car seat for the bus (we are doing Disney's Magical Express), or can we leave it at home? I know we won't use it going back and forth to the parks.
I would suggest leaving it at home. Just make sure she sits in a window seat so she can't get into the aisle.

What about paying for her (primarily meals)? She is young enough to not have to pay for park tickets - should I bring a copy of her birth certificate, just in case? We have the Disney Dining Plan added to our MYW ticket. As I understand, she also will eat free at table service restaurants, but I'm assuming there's no way to do that with the counter service and snacks because they don't see who's eating the food you buy. Is the food included in the plan enough to where my mom and I could share our food with her?
I have never seen or heard of asking for a birth certificate. I have sometimes asked people about age of a child when entering a park, but that is different; we do have to beleive what we are told.

You are slightly confused about paying for meals. At a buffet she can have her own plate and meal-included beverages at no charge. At regular table service you can get a plate for her at no charge for sharing food, but anything you order for her specifically has to be paid for. I'm not really sure about the policy concerning milk/soft drinks at table service. And, as you said, counter service or snacks have to be paid for.

A stupid question is only one that you do not ask for fear that it will show ignorance.

Regarding your stroller, request a gate-check from the flight attendant at the gate before boarding. This allows you to roll down the jetway, and fold up the stroller at the end before getting on the plane. They will place your stroller in the hold below, and unload it soon after landing, placing it at the jet door for your use back down the jetway in Orlando. You might consider insuring the stroller if it is special equipment, and work out in advance a back-up plan should it become damaged or lost. The airlines typically provide an umbrella-style stroller as replacement.

A doctor's note is not needed for a GAC. Check the FAQ section of this forum for more on the GAC.

A car seat is not required on the bus, but only if she may be more comfortable. Others here can better answer how to use the transportation to the Parks; will the wheelchair anchors work with a stroller for example?

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions here. We hope that we may make your trip manageable and enjoyable.

Ambassador said:
A car seat is not required on the bus, but only if she may be more comfortable.
We have not used the DME buses, but buses typically don't have any seat belts. The reular transportation buses that go to/from the parks and locations in WDW have hard plastic seats without seat belts.
Others here can better answer how to use the transportation to the Parks; will the wheelchair anchors work with a stroller for example?
You can only use the wheelchair tiedowns (anchors) with a special needs stroller that is approved for transport. Those have been reinforced so that the frame is strong enough for the stress of being tied down and have a seat that would be safe to sit in while traveling in the bus.
A regular stroller would likely bend or have the frame broken and would not be safe to ride in if a crash occurred.
Check with whoever provides your homeowners insurance. The stroller is probably covered under that as part of your property.

To gate check a stroller, ask when you first check in. They may give you a gate check tag right then, or tell you to check with the gate agent. Don't wait until boarding - check with the gate agent well before loading starts. They have to make a gate check tag; it's usually a bright -almost neon color and is marked by hand with a code for the airport. Sometimes you yhave a choice of where to have the stroller/wheelchair delivered (the gate or baggage check at your final destination or a connecting flight city).
Before leaving the stroller at the gate, remove any removable parts as you can and fold the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter