• Less than 5 minutes

• 5-10 minutes

• 10-15

• 15-20

• 20-25

• 25-30

• 30+

Results are only viewable after voting.
5-10 min - even with hair washing! Significantly longer if I have to shave my damn legs, though. They're long. And I'm 30 weeks pregnant.

I picked 25-30 but that's only when I wash my hair, which is not every day. My hair is the thickest any of my hair dressers have ever been cursed to work with. It takes 5 minutes just to get the water to get to my scalp, I have a protective helmet of hair. The first shampoo is usually only surface hair, doesn't get past that until I do the second, then condition and rinse a ton or it's still slimy. I've never run out of hot water, but I don't like it really hot to begin with.

If I'm not doing hair, 5 minutes easy.

During our drought here in California we got in the habit of putting a bucket in the shower to catch the water while waiting for it to get warm then watering plants with it. We stopped doing that.
But we have continued the rinse off, turn off water, shampoo and soap up, turn on water and rinse off routine. Water probably runs 30 seconds to get hot water, less than a minute to get wet, less than a minute to rinse off. So under 5 minutes total, closer to 3. My wife has discovered that her hair looks so much better since we started doing that. She apparently was rinsing her hair too much before, and it rinsed most of the condition she put on out.

Sounds like a lot of work. Are you doing that primarily to cut down on your water bill?

Sounds like a lot of work. Are you doing that primarily to cut down on your water bill?
To save water, which does lower the water bill. Not any work at all, just involves turning off the shower after you wet down, and turning it back on when you are ready to rinse. We cut our water usage by 60% last year.
I just got my water bill for July and August, months with a long string of 100+ degree weather, $177. I think my record was about 5 years ago $200 for 2 months.

So now, here on the DIS, are we actually going from clean towel shaming to shower shaming???

PS: I have fairly long thick hair, as mentioned on the towel thread...
I can wash completely, shampoo, condition, and rinse... easily in just over 5 minutes time.
Ten at the most.
The idea of just sitting there for twice that long just seems odd to me???

Heck, the hot water would probably run out!

Shower shaming? Since when did sharing different ways of doing something become "shaming?"

Actually, the closest anyone has come to that is expressing disbelief that others do something different. Oh, wait...:rotfl:

Last edited:
10-15 minutes for me, including washing and conditioning my hair. I have neck and back pain so I like to stand in the shower an extra few minutes and let the warm (hot) water run over sore muscles.

To save water, which does lower the water bill. Not any work at all, just involves turning off the shower after you wet down, and turning it back on when you are ready to rinse. We cut our water usage by 60% last year.
I just got my water bill for July and August, months with a long string of 100+ degree weather, $177. I think my record was about 5 years ago $200 for 2 months.
I know of people who do that...shut off the water in between washing and rinsing. It's not my thing, but I can see doing that if you're trying to reduce your water bill.

I know of people who do that...shut off the water in between washing and rinsing. It's not my thing, but I can see doing that if you're trying to reduce your water bill.
I am not a Veteran, but I have heard it called a "military shower" because, at least in some instances, that is what members of the military are required to do when they live on base.

Voted 10-15 but it's more like 10-12 max, maybe as quick as just 8. Think I will change to 5-10.
Now my DDs and DS take about 20+ and I just don't know why so long.

I am not a Veteran, but I have heard it called a "military shower" because, at least in some instances, that is what members of the military are required to do when they live on base.
Didn't know that.

Usually the water is running for 5 minutes or less.

DW takes forever. That's my one bottle of hair/body wash on top shelf. The rest of the stuff on second shelf and seat is hers.

upload_2017-9-6_22-20-51.png

The towel thread made me curious...

How long do your showers last (on average)? My norm is 15, maybe 20 minutes and most always at nighttime. I'm always shocked some people can be in and out in 5 minutes! What is that wizardry?! ;)

it depends on what I'm doing in there. I prefer to shower in the morning, but it's kinda fluid for me, unless I have plans. The joys of being a housewife...

Body washing: 5 minutes
Hair washing: 10 minutes
Shaving: 5 minutes
Hiding from the kids: I could go hours but usually 15 minutes
Steaming to clear sinuses: 15 minutes

I said 15-20 because that's the most common for me.

I think that is great from an enviornmental standpoint! It's the shower equivelant of not leaving the water running while actually brushing your teeth. Efforts like yours can really add up --thanks

Last edited:
I think it's called a "field shower" because sometimes they have limited water supply for showing(Like a camp shower).

Upon further investigation it appears you would be correct :) Now that I googled it I remember DH saying they did it in Basic Training and Iraq... But not just everyday base living.

During our drought here in California we got in the habit of putting a bucket in the shower to catch the water while waiting for it to get warm then watering plants with it. We stopped doing that.
But we have continued the rinse off, turn off water, shampoo and soap up, turn on water and rinse off routine. Water probably runs 30 seconds to get hot water, less than a minute to get wet, less than a minute to rinse off. So under 5 minutes total, closer to 3. My wife has discovered that her hair looks so much better since we started doing that. She apparently was rinsing her hair too much before, and it rinsed most of the condition she put on out.
We did the same thing in Florida except the bucket of water went into the pool. Very useful in the drier winter months.
The water on, water off, lather, rinse off is the routine I picked up when at boarding school many years ago but still practice today.

ford family

I picked 10-15 because that's average for me. I have really thin, fine hair so I have to wash it every day. Shaving a couple times a week is factored in too. DH and older DS do 5-10, but younger DS takes forever! He can take quick ones like at camp or when we're in a hurry to get somewhere (so can I) but if we let him he's be in there half an hour or more.

I remember one winter break in high school I went to Cleveland to visit my dad and brother who were living there and my dad was remodeling the one main bathroom on the second floor. We had to use the shower in the unfinished basement- with concrete floors and not a good amount of hot water I got real used to taking super fast showers that week!

Ah....the classic "Navy Shower". My father was always banging on the bathroom door, asking us if we thought water grew on trees. I told him once, "No, it comes out of a hole in the ground!" I didn't do THAT again. He always said we should be grateful we got hot showers in a bathroom instead of cold showers up on the deck. Of course, with seven women in a 1-bathroom house, he was probably concerned more with "time" than with "water".

Shame on all of you!!! Don't you know you should wait til a good rain storm then run outside with soap & shampoo:jumping1:

I am about 10-15 unless I am in a rush. I can manage a quick shower but I hate too. DH is in & out in maybe 5 minutes but he actually prefers to shower at the gym.

I do however like to take hour long baths in the evening(not every evening) - glass of wine, candles & my iPad - now that's my happy place. :cheer2::cheer2:

Maybe 10 minutes, my hair is getting longer so it does take a little time. The longest time is the hair conditioner to rinse out. I use a an apricot scrub on my face. I am so grateful that my legs no longer need to be shaved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter