S/O What's You Least Favorite Ethnic Food?

Cuban is dry and bland to me. Mexican is bland to me too, especially meals with the rice and beans.

Norwegian is icky. Irish and British is also pretty boring aside from fish and chips and curry.

I hate however how beautiful Marzipan confections look but they taste so nasty 🤢
....ITA....when I was growing up, there was an older Dutch couple who lived next door. They'd often travel to the Netherlands and they'd bring back marzipan....boy were they GROSS but they did look so pretty!

Last edited:
...Mexican is bland to me too, especially meals with the rice and beans....
....I personally don't think it's bland - I just don't care for it very much. I'd have to REALLY be in the mood for Mexican food and that rarely happens.

I won’t rule out entire cuisines unless I’ve tried it. I don’t like spicy, and I won’t do organ meat, snails, sea urchins, or insects. I have heard that British cuisine is kind of boring and I am not a fan of fish and chips.
I know spicy is an acquired taste, but I'm okay with it...

I'm not interested in anything that contains certain bodyparts like organs or gonads. Also, no snails.

So, no haggis, no escargot, no "rocky mountain oysters".

Country of origin has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I mean, garlic naan bread isn't really Indian food. That doesn't count. I love garlic naan bread, but put it with a bowl of curry anything and I will literally gag. I just can't handle the smell.

That's a wonderful story though. I grew up with Indian friends and couldn't even go into their houses. We would play outside. It's been a lifelong aversion for me.

I love plenty of other types of ethnic cuisine. Indian food is the only one I can't enjoy.
Indian is very varied and absorbing...

Cuban is dry and bland to me. Mexican is bland to me too, especially meals with the rice and beans.

Norwegian is icky. Irish and British is also pretty boring aside from fish and chips and curry.

I think it really depends on where you go to get the food in certain areas. I notice a lot of places serve their food bland to please the masses. I see it a lot with Puerto Rican food. The beans are just blah at several establishments. No cilantro, olives, sofrito, garlic. What’s the point? They say it’s because some people don’t like all those things in it. Well then it’s not true Puerto Rican beans IMO. I want all the seasonings. Same with some Mexican places in my area.

I think it really depends on where you go to get the food in certain areas. I notice a lot of places serve their food bland to please the masses. I see it a lot with Puerto Rican food. The beans are just blah at several establishments. No cilantro, olives, sofrito, garlic. What’s the point? They say it’s because some people don’t like all those things in it. Well then it’s not true Puerto Rican beans IMO. I want all the seasonings. Same with some Mexican places in my area.

Puerto Rican rice and beans > Mexican Rice and Beans

Mexicans must not know about sofrito.

I don't like to go out for Greek food. I can find stuff to eat, but here's a list of things I really don't like: feta, grape leaves, dill and lamb. I'll eat but not really a huge fan of nuts, yogurt, olives or anchovies, and not interested in trying things like tripe, etc. Usually when I try new cuisine I eat a "standard favorite" but that doesn't work for me with Greek food. I don't consider myself a picky eater and don't normally ask for special requests on my food and can usually order just about anything on a menu, but any time we go to Mediterranean food I feel like the pickiest person on the planet.

Last edited:
I dislike Gumbo
Most Cajun food is fried or high in carbs.

also Indian food- a little curry goes a long way

My business partner is from Chenai, India. His wife has given me several recipes, and a set of starter spices, and I've bought a few "authentic" cookbooks. Interestingly, none require curry powder. Most have some tumeric. Some garam masala and cumin, lots of cardamom, black peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks. Perhaps this is all regional, but the only recipes I have that require curry powder are non-Indian curries.

As for what doesn't agree with me, I can't eat pho without getting immediate GI unhappiness. I have no idea what's in that specifically, but it's happened in different cities, different restaurants. I think maybe it's star anise that's the culprit.

My business partner is from Chenai, India. His wife has given me several recipes, and a set of starter spices, and I've bought a few "authentic" cookbooks. Interestingly, none require curry powder. Most have some tumeric. Some garam masala and cumin, lots of cardamom, black peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks. Perhaps this is all regional, but the only recipes I have that require curry powder are non-Indian curries.

As for what doesn't agree with me, I can't eat pho without getting immediate GI unhappiness. I have no idea what's in that specifically, but it's happened in different cities, different restaurants. I think maybe it's star anise that's the culprit.

I've heard some people from India chafe when someone refers to a turmeric/cumin spice blend of other foods as "curry". Like Thai or Japanese. Maybe not Singapore because that comes directly from an Indian expat community.

I personally like star anise, but that's me. Too much is of course toxic, but that goes for a lot of things we eat.

I don't eat curry or most any food that has those spices.

They don't agree with me and I've tried a few times, but there is not enough antacid in the world to control the heartburn.
Well, it's good indeed to know our own personal limitations as far as food is concerned.

Curry is a generic term in many cuisines. Curry powder is a mix of the same things that are in those foods, garam masala, cumin, cardamom, etc. To me, curry powder is awful. I'd prefer to mix my own curry spices to get the flavor right instead of just adding curry powder to make it like someone thinks I should expect it.

Curry is a generic term in many cuisines. Curry powder is a mix of the same things that are in those foods, garam masala, cumin, cardamom, etc. To me, curry powder is awful. I'd prefer to mix my own curry spices to get the flavor right instead of just adding curry powder to make it like someone thinks I should expect it.
Hi; always a better way of doing things, yes....

The great thing about good Indian food is that the heat involved is NOT one note. It's not like some yahoo dumping Tobasco into his chili. There's complexity in the spices in good Indian food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter