• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

S/O What's You Least Favorite Ethnic Food?

BlueStarryHat

South Philly Girl
For me, it would have to be Mexican/Latin/Spanish. I'm not crazy about the spices used. I have not had *authentic* Latin food, so it may just be taco seasoning used in Americanized dishes I don't like.

Not real fond of Ghanian food. From a distance, it looks similar-ish to Ethiopian food. Some of the ingredients and colors. I love Ethiopian food for the fiery peppers, greens, pulses, inerja, etc. Fresh salady bits with tasty slow cooked stews on flat bread.

But Ghanian food - it's just bland to me. And some of the foods are completely unappetizing. Here's a whole fish, battered and fried, never mind the eyeballs. Here are some beans with no flavor. Shut up and eat that plain plantain or yam.....

So, now that I can't have dairy and tree nuts and can't handle spice, I can't eat Indian unless I usually make it myself, but I still love it...

So, if I'm being fair, when I could eat everything, I still never liked blackened proteins or heavy sausage dishes, so Cajun would be my least favorite food (and now, I totally can't eat it, b/c they also live on butter-made rouxs:))....before my allergies, I still had foods I would eat in the cuisine, but I never sought a Cajun place out and I never ordered blackened fish (one taste of the spouse's was all I needed)...

Mexican....it’s too heavy for me. Too much cheese and heavy sauces. I love other Latin food though. My favorite are Puerto Rican and Ecuadorian.

Can you even buy Durian in the States?
I only saw Durian once during a trip in Vietnam. I thought it smelled fine, like jasmine mixed with something else, but some people had a headache with the scent. I even ate some. Very creamy, the pits were surprisingly large.

I won't try sushi.

I am not very adventurous outside of typical American foods. When we order Chinese, I always just get General Tso's chicken. Never had anything else. Don't need to, that flavor is what I love. When going to a "Mexican" restaurant, I always get steak or shrimp fajitas. I don't know if that is actual Mexican or American but it's what I love. Never had any kind of other Ethnic foods.

Can you even buy Durian in the States?
I only saw Durian once during a trip in Vietnam. I thought it smelled fine, like jasmine mixed with something else, but some people had a headache with the scent. I even ate some. Very creamy, the pits were surprisingly large.

Yeah. Heck - I saw something durian flavored at Costco. Found this photo taken at a Costco in Austin, TX.

q641odaouc551.jpg

And from a 99 Ranch Market in California.

main-qimg-90a8fa0701322741d1157daa6d55fd00-c

I've definitely seen it at various Asian markets and in different Chinatowns.

I'm not a big fan of Chinese or Italian food, or at least the Americanized versions I can get in the US. I did like the food in Rome just fine, but restaurants in the US have more southern Italian based cuisine.

I don't think there is any cuisine I flat out wouldn't try. But there are some aspects of several that are uh no way.

They can keep Haggis, Lutefisk, duck eggs with the embryo still in, chicken feet, and durian. They can keep things that have been affected by the nuclear arms race of hot peppers. Pain is not a flavor. They can keep live cut sashimi as well as dancing squid.

11:55 Imagine that happening on the way down.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter